Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Guts is a nice guy who has had a hosed up life and has violence as a means to clear his head. His actions as of late show him trying to deliberately calm himself and "mature" to what is needed of him. He can't go berserk (haw) because he needs to protect people. He's given up being the venging blade who distracts himself from the horror of existence by just losing himself in blood rage so that he can instead protect those close to him; and despite trying to distance himself from other people so he won't be hurt again, he finds himself gaining new allies since it's hard to get through life truly alone. And frankly, he seems happier for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The banality of evil is just the average joe working as a concentration camp guard. Not with hate or any strong emotions. Just his job, you know.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Guts is confused about Gambino, really. I mean, he was basically his father. On the other hand, he treated him like a lot of poo poo, and ultimately betrayed the poo poo out of him. So Guts murdered him eventually in his rage. Still, he was his "father", and so it really haunts him even then.

Obviously Gambino had a lot of problems himself, and was even more hosed up after Guts' "mother" died and he started blaming Guts for it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
God please shut up about that stupid loving comment. It was A Joke he made. Other comments areas have him talking about delaying because he's having so much fun with his steam cooker, I don't think that means it's actually a thing.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Hmm. I wonder if Skull Knight even survived the formation of the World Helix Tree. Strange.

Also, thinking about it now in retrospect, a lot of what Skull Knight said may very well be untrue, or not completely true. He seemed to imply that he and Guts were outside the flow of fate's causality, or at least able to buck against it. However, he was instrumental in creating this new world due to his predations upon the Apostles' behelits.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The thing about Griffith is that he has made himself humanity's one defense, but the linchpin cause of all their problems. If he was removed, it's possible these problems would all go away. But seeing as how he's the one seemingly protecting everyone from them, well, that's never going to happen.

I can only think that this situation will eventually degenerate. The Apostles being passive forever seems unlikely.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Soulcleaver posted:

Some have suggested that after getting her mind back Casca could side with Griffith despite all the horrible poo poo he's done. If anything could drive Guts over the edge, give into the Hellhound and completely lose his humanity, that would be it. And it would fit with the tragic theme of Berserk more than fighting the stupid pirate gang again.

I still think this will happen. I don't think Caska will remember what happened, and her loyalty to Griffith will drive her back.

Which, yes, will drive Guts against the God Hand once again.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

So I'm doing a reread, and I'm having trouble figuring out whats up with Lord Mozgus, the executioner guy for the religion. It seems like hes an apostle, but does it ever explain how he became one?

He's a quasi-Apostle. As we saw before with, for example, the Slug-Apostle from the intro to the series with his Axe-wielding underling, Apostles can insert bits of their power into individuals and awaken their potential. They aren't fated and are typically weaker overall, but the corruption can vastly increase their ability.

The Egg of the New World Apostle had inserted some of himself into Mozgus as he admired him. As it happens, the Egg has a LOT of power, and Mozgus' zealotry warped him into something truly powerful.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Yup. Basically he was the vessel through which Femto incarnated, along with Guts' unborn child (rather incidentally, mind). This started the gradual movement towards the huge world-change event that happened when the Behelit-Sword caused some kind of cascade.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The Egg only included the child in the event on a whim; I don't think it was part of the "plan", as it were.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

notZaar posted:

Unless he was destined to have that whim :v:

That's the problem with having destiny as the entire plot motivator. You can't really say for sure if anything is whim or coincidence.

Quite true. It is regardless out of Griffith's plan, since even he is surprised that he somehow hasn't lost his "attachment" to Guts and Casca - most likely as a result of the thing within him.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The plot is just your typical Conan-esque "one large meandering story of Guin going through life conquering stuff or getting involved in intrigues". It's kind of dull really.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The Black Swordsman arc was more about Guts running away in his senseless fight for vengeance. He could never truly strike back at what he sought to fight; his foes were ultimately far out of his reach, and he wasn't exactly trying to figure out what he needed to do to reach him. All he did was fight and fight and fight, because to fight and lose himself in the berserker rage, was to forget what he had lost and what he couldn't do. He threw away his personality, his compassion, all he cared about because ultimately he was afraid and couldn't own up to what had come of his life.

The first arc is important I think in capturing what Guts was. He was just a mindless killer of monsters in a way; all he wanted was revenge, a revenge he could never, ever, ever really have. He fought Apostles because he hated them, just abandoning Caska and his responsibilities in the violent rage.

The first arc establishes what Guts was to become, a Berserk thing that was as inhuman as the Apostles he fought. Let's not forget (if my memory is correct, it's been awhile since I read the intro) that the opening chapter of the manga literally has an Apostle afraid of Guts at the end. He was violence incarnate, but without purpose.

The second arc, the Golden Age, shows how Guts came to walk that path, the world of human horror the ultimately intersected that of the inhuman horror, and what he wanted vengeance on Griffith. It's where Berserk gets a lot of its voice, yes, but I think it's telling that it's immediately followed with a flashforward arc where Guts is still doing the Black Swordsman thing.

The third arc and onward then shows Guts ultimately coming to understand what he actually wants in the inhuman world. He comes to realize that he had something and people to fight for. He didn't need to run away from humanity itself and connections just because of his loss. After this point we see a more mature Guts, still struggling with his very literal inner-demons drawing him towards the "peace of mind" mindless violence, but ultimately stronger and more mature.

The more interesting question then, in a world where all he has fought for has been turned against him, what will happen if he loses the foothold he has now? He's found a purpose, he's found a goal, he's found a thing to live for. He's got friends, he's got people who he cares about now. He's got a dream to help Casca. What will happen when that comes to an end? What if, as the Skull Knight said, what he wants for her is not what she wants. What will happen when he loses that anchor, when he's left with nothing?

I think that's the ultimately course and path for this narrative. Guts before couldn't strike back at his true foes, but ironically now, after he has turned away from his vengeance, he has gained the strength that just may be able to. I am of the view that ultimately the narrative will lead to Guts having to end the nightmare that has seized the world.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

pnumoman posted:

It's depressing how your comment is not a joke. Actually, it's not depressing to me because for a very long time now I stopped assuming Berserk chapters will ever come out, so every release for the past decade or so has been a pleasant surprise.

The Idolmaster thing was a joke Miura made actually but people are obsessed over it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
My optimism that this manga would ever be finished has rapidly faded over the years

:negative:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Sindai posted:

I was going to ask if it's really "rapid" if it took years, but then...

I am inherently a very optimistic person.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Hand of the King posted:

Is the sky looking all hosed up because Ganishka became a giant tree and then got owned?

There's a world tree in Falconia now from his remains, yeah. It's where the new city + castle came from as well.

Good chapter, though I'm getting slightly tired with the whole "Guys, everything is so great under the Falcon! But it's also weird!" chapters, since Miura has done a good eight to ten chapters devoted to that angle now. We get it, life under Griffith is great so he can basically get off to his own power fantasy, it's also his problem everything is going to poo poo, yes yes. Let him meet Rickert and let's get back to Guts already.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I look forward to Rickert's encounter with Griffith, because I honestly have no idea how it will go and what he'll do/say.

Yeah, who knows. He met Griffith post rebirth already, and Griffith already made the offer that he could join him if he wanted. Guts commented that Rickert could never truly hate Griffith, so maybe he will actually join him?

Also, after reading some older chapters, I think the issue with dwelling on this stuff is less that actual chapter count and more the chapter frequency again. I just wish Miura would back away from doing GOTTA DRAW A BILLION BUILDINGS / PEOPLE AT ONCE stuff. It's gorgeous but he's much more prolific when it's just the gang interacting and Guts fightin dudes.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Well, that's what you like about reading the series, but is that what Miura likes about creating the series?

I've had the idea for a while now that Miura is far more invested in expanding what he can do artistically than what he can do linguistically. Yeah, the writing is pretty good, but you can tell just from looking at any given two page spread that he's put a lot more time and energy into his art than anything else. I like the more subdued moments where the characters can just talk with each other more, myself, but it's clear he's more interested in the art and I can't expect him to ignore what he wants so he can make more of what I want.

The thing is, he's never done anything that actually moves away from what feels natural to the narrative ultimately, really. He's dwelling on this moments and it seems frustrating as a long time reader, but do they actually matter in the narrative? Yes, actually. He could get away with finding whatever excuse to draw absurd things, but he's relatively restrained in the sense that while we've been waiting to get to Elfheim for loving ever, it's less to do with the internal pacing and more the release schedule. These scenes naturally lend themselves to the absurd style, and it doesn't really feel like he's making up excuses to move to them.

On a lark I just re-read through the post-Rebirth stuff through Guts getting the Berserker armor, and you really do get a feeling that even if Miura burns himself out on this quite a lot, he does know how to write the drat thing awfully well. The overall cohesion is a lot of why I like it, really.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

mechacop posted:

The pace I'm reading at does not affect how I'm enjoying it in the slightest.

I think what they're saying more is just "enjoy it while it lasts because once you're caught up, it's going to be awhile".

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

mechacop posted:

Why did Griffith reincarnate anyways? Isn't being Femto inherently cooler?

His great vain desire is to rule a kingdom, namely Midland. Now that he has all of fate backing him, why not just follow his base desire?

All of the Godhand embody certain sins or essences of negative emotion. The desire for some essence of the human condition taken to an inhuman extreme, casting off all that once cared about. Griffith is ambition embodied. For the sake of his ambition he sacrificed everyone he knew and cared about. He is still Femto, just Femto incarnated and capable of "playing" in the mortal realm.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
They all are, really.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
All of the sci-fi references the God Hand form are great, especially Ubik if you've read it. It's a really strange but fascinating novel I recommend checking out. Don't read about it, just read it. It's pretty short.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 21, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Dark Souls definitely has a lot of inspiration from Berserk. One of the ultra great swords is almost exactly the Dragonslayer.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
All the dead are enshrined in the castle? That... doesn't sound like it'll go well when Guts inevitably has to break into here :stare:
Interesting that Rickert has picked up enough at this point to immediately know that Locus is an Apostle.

Aaand another hiatus without a date. Horns.aiff.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 25, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Ethiser posted:

I can't wait to see how Rickert reacts to Griffith. Also these two page spreads are killing me. They are beautiful but they just drag things out so much.

It doesn't help that we sort of already had this scene a few dozen chapters ago when that young general saw the same thing happening.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I still hold that the only way that'll come to pass is if Casca gets her memory back and willingly returns to Griffith. I mean, Guts was willing to let pretty much everything slide as of late so long as he can get Casca help, and Griffith and Zodd seemed fine with letting him go on his merry way so long as he keeps out of their grill prior to the ascension. Though you may be right that Guts and Casca not being killed after becoming sacrifices may prove to be holes in his spiritual armor so to speak.

It does leave you wonder where the end game is for Griffith though. I mean, his goal has came to pass. He has incarnated his perfect kingdom, and the world around it is falling apart as a result due to the confluence of the spiritual and physical realms. Is he simply content to rule? He's the embodiment of ambition, and the thing about ambition is that it has no end goal. Is he going to seek to expand his realm even more? Expand his dominion?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Laphroaig posted:

Have we seen Skull Knight since the world was transformed into Fantasia?

Nope. The fact that he actually was one of the factors that caused it to happen was also crazy given that he was thought to be outside fate sort of like Guts.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

mechacop posted:

Is this a hint that Berserk is nearing it's final stretch within the next few years?

Given that Guts got onto the boat something like four to five years ago: ahahahahahahaha

dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Wait, is this actually the case? With Griffith, it seems like the only reason he's not just straight up smiting Guts (since, as we saw in the Black Swordsman arc, even with Guts being as badass as he is Griffith is still a literal god and can kick his rear end without even blinking) is because he finds Guts amusing; it's not like everything under him (with basically the sole exception of Zodd, who just straight up likes Guts and has saved his rear end at least twice) hasn't been trying to kill Guts for a really long time.

He's had multiple chances to kill him with Zodd, but both times they deemed it completely unnecessary and Griffith bailed. Of course, Griffith's reticence may be driven by that part of his current manifestation is Guts' unborn child's own attachment driving it. Zodd outright just respects Guts yeah, but he's certainly not got any injunctions against killing him anyways.

But Griffith hasn't been actively hunting Guts at all, no, beyond Apostles doing their normal thing. Even when they attacked Flora, their goal was to remove her from the equation, not Guts. When Ganishka showed up Zodd was more than willing to just team up with Guts and let him move along afterwards since it's not really a priority.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Preeeeetty sure this isn't gonna happen. Hell, I'd say she has a better chance of returning to him if she doesn't get her memory back. :v:

I dunno, it's just my pet theory. Casca was willing to abandon her life with Guts to take care of Griffith when he'd been reduced to a bag of bones after he was locked up, her literally returning to Griffith after all of this would be the biggest gently caress you that Miura could do to Guts, imo, which is kind of Miura's modus operandi.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 27, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

DKD posted:

Is it ever stated why the apostles are following Griffith? Given that apostles can still keep some semblance of humanity (Roshinu, the slug baron), and that the apostles seemed to be genuinely risking their lives fighting on Griffith's behalf (which would seem out of character for a creature which sacrificed its beloved for selfish reasons), perhaps the apostles are just as taken in by the idealism of Griffith's vision as the humans? Maybe even an apostle can have regrets, or hope for forgiveness and salvation.

Ganishka commented that the Apostles feel a religious-like desire to serve the God Hand, it's their calling. That's why Zodd serves him: it's a power greater than him that gives him finally peace of purpose rather than the endless centuries of immortal ennui.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Not to mention Ganishka's rebellion was even part of the grand plan after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

LordMune posted:

This chapter is not a flashback and the next chapter is due in September.

Ninja edit: unless two panels count as a full flashback.

Yeah, this was an interesting chapter. Gives an interesting alternate viewpoint of the Apostles. Locus' view that the overlay of the spiritual realm and the physical realm resulting in humanity having to band together against the supernatural is interesting though ultimately self-defeating. Even in its current state, there's no way Griffith's "paradise" of the persecuted can last.