Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

In my spare time I hypnotize bunnies.

alucinor posted:

Many words.

Thank you so much! Yeah, I know it takes time. I think because I had just came in from an unsuccessful bonding session I was extra frustrated. I've only been working on this since the beginning of June so I know it will take much longer. I think I just had my hopes up because they were being nice for 20-30 minutes at a time and grooming and everything. Jack was bonded before (his poor wifey died because she had a poopy butt and flies laid eggs in it and it got all infected), he was the same way, but thankfully the lady I adopted him from rescued him before he died. He's all better now though (except for the lack of fur on his butt still from being shaved). He's also overweight because he didn't get to run around in his previous home. Anyways, in his previous "relationship" I was told he was the dominant one (even though he's the most relaxed bunny ever). In his relationship now, Lucy is definitely the dominant bunny. She's very sassy. I think this is one reason they are having a hard time. But I know it can be done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Elevenbane posted:

Yeah, that's understandable. When I first got my rabbit she'd hop around the house really nervously, hiding under a chair before hopping out and exploring a few steps before running back to the 'safe spot'.

Good luck getting her acclimated! Maybe you can salvage something from the old apartment to make her more comfortable. Fabric or something with her scent on it.

Well I brought over her toys (a rattling ball she doesn't like, and a fuzzy ball-esque thing) and she nibbles on the ball on occasion, but there isn't much else 'familiar' I can give her. I mean, besides my clothes, which she chews on. Hence the jumping in and out of my lap. :) I'm not sure I'm at the point where I want to sacrifice a shirt to toss into her cage for her to play with but if she's really unhappy I might be inclined to. Although she likes pants better and a pair of my jeans aren't fitting in her cage.

very sparkly
Dec 24, 2004
867-5309

very sparkly fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 26, 2009

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
Out of curiosity, do other people here have completely free range rabbits? Mine hated cages from the beginning, so at this point, he gets run of the place.

I've done this for years and he's been pretty good and hasn't destroyed much. He has his spots he likes and it means he gets to run whenever he wants (usually in the morning when he wants food).

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

angelicism posted:

I'm not sure I'm at the point where I want to sacrifice a shirt to toss into her cage

Have you thought of using a hand towel or a washcloth? These would be smaller items with a familiar smell that are cheaper to replace ;)

Levitate posted:

Out of curiosity, do other people here have completely free range rabbits? Mine hated cages from the beginning, so at this point, he gets run of the place.

I would love to, but can't. The way my apartment is set up, there is no way to completely bunny-proof everything to the point of trusting Debbie to be out of her cage for that many hours without supervision. I could probably do it with Murphy, but I'd fear the cats would eventually hurt him(he just wants to snuggle with the kitties, the kitties hate it). But even with his free time now, Murphy will spend 80% of it just chillin in his cage. He feels safe and content in there.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah, Sprout was a rabbit I rescued from the streets, so I don't know how he was originally brought up. He's just always hated cages, so I eventually did away with it. Maybe he would have been more receptive to a big, plush cage, but I couldn't ever afford one at first and then the free range thing worked out.

He seems to have picked several spots as his favorite "den" spots, so hey :)

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

I'm not gay but my wiener is.

Levitate posted:

My mom's late Mr. Bunn was pretty much free range. Mom took him to work with her and he had an outside hutch built attached to her office window for sunning (at home we had a balcony for the same purpose, I swear he was solar-powered). But that's about it. We had nibbles in all the furniture, cords in PVC pipes taped to the walls, and a big happy rabbit to greet people at the door. He had a litter box in each room but we still had to vacuum up poops every day. It worked out pretty well. I'm sure the cats would have preferred Mr. Bunn caged, he had a tendency to harass them.

I've been trying to find a picture of a rabbit that looks similar to Mr. Bunn for you all and this one is almost an exact match. Just imagine him ginormous with fluffier feet:

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 1, 2007

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

very sparkly posted:

This thread has me in LOVE with the mini lops. I would love to get one and build it a big hutch sometime in the near future. I spent a few hours looking online the past few days at petfinder and the local rescues but didn't find any of that particular breed available. Bookmarked and will keep checking though.
The word "hutch" scares me. Please don't do an outside hutch. Bunnies who live outside on average only live 2 years as opposed to house rabbit that live 10! Out of sight, out of mind.

Levitate posted:

I've done this for years and he's been pretty good and hasn't destroyed much. He has his spots he likes and it means he gets to run whenever he wants (usually in the morning when he wants food).
Oh yeah, I know a couple people who's rabbits are "free range" as long as your whole house is rabbit-proof there shouldn't be any problem. I hope my rabbits will be like this one day.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Okay, I have re-done the layout of my site. Let's hope it's better.

https://www.therabbitresource.com

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

girlscoutdropout posted:

Okay, I have re-done the layout of my site. Let's hope it's better.

https://www.therabbitresource.com

I'd ditch the whole frames layout if possible. It's very hard to get it to function correctly. For example, when I click "Bunny Garden page is up!" the Bunny Garden page opens INSIDE that tiny 1"x3" box. You also have a broken banner on the links page.

I really like the green/gray scheme and general layout.

I have a free, 3-column css layout that I found somewhere which would function very similarly to this, without the frames. Let me know if you are interested. It's very easy to install and modify!

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

alucinor posted:

I'd ditch the whole frames layout if possible. It's very hard to get it to function correctly. For example, when I click "Bunny Garden page is up!" the Bunny Garden page opens INSIDE that tiny 1"x3" box. You also have a broken banner on the links page.

I really like the green/gray scheme and general layout.

I have a free, 3-column css layout that I found somewhere which would function very similarly to this, without the frames. Let me know if you are interested. It's very easy to install and modify!

Ah yeah, sorry I know why it's doing that for the bunny garden thing. I forgot to update that part. Thank you!

Edit: I also fixed the link, thank you for pointing that out.

girlscoutdropout fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 1, 2007

HildyJohnson
May 7, 2007
My rabbit just ate my shoe : (
Hi, I recently made a stylin' cage out of one of those cube organizer kits, plexiglass flooring, and bits of FLOR carpeting - which I was afraid would get chewed up immediately, but it hasn't been a problem at all, I think because it has that tough tile backing.
Zoe:
https://wi.somethingawful.com/51/51b8e96758e1107a153306d367f5fe5bad41103d.jpg
My creation:
https://wi.somethingawful.com/95/95957d042cf62af0c30cd18006885753e5da683b.jpg
Exploring the new house:
https://wi.somethingawful.com/78/7865ce31061fb9a9049398e3d887bc6faf8319bf.jpg

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

This sky is not pretty at all. It's rough and masculine. Like me.

a gaylord faget posted:

He might be part Lionhead if he has a fluff on his pate.

How much fluff? Here's a closeup of the fur between his ears, looking unusually tidy:

HildyJohnson - that cage looks awesome, good job!

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Pickle was ill today :(

We usually get her out every morning and afternoon for some love and playtime but this morning when we took her out, her eyes were all over the place and she couldn't stand up without falling over or rolling around in circles. Whilst I was calling the vet she had what I can only describe as a seizure which was pretty horrifying. The vet gave us some medicine and said it looks like one of two infections, one which is usually fatal :smith:

I have given her some hay and water but I really wish I could do more for her, she is sat against a wall at the moment wobbling about.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Hanpan posted:

Pickle was ill today :(

We usually get her out every morning and afternoon for some love and playtime but this morning when we took her out, her eyes were all over the place and she couldn't stand up without falling over or rolling around in circles. Whilst I was calling the vet she had what I can only describe as a seizure which was pretty horrifying. The vet gave us some medicine and said it looks like one of two infections, one which is usually fatal :smith:

I have given her some hay and water but I really wish I could do more for her, she is sat against a wall at the moment wobbling about.

Oh god that sounds like E.C. (E. cuniculi). HRS has an article on it here.

Recovery is possible but requires intensive therapy and usually the rabbit is not ever "right" again. If you haven't already, You should create a small sick pen for her. The best thing is half of a dog-sized travel crate (like 2'x3' or smaller) with thick doubled-up towels draped all over the walls. Put her hay, pellets, and water low on the ground (add a very heavy but shallow bowl if you currently use a bottle for water). Offer lots of very fragrant herbs (cilantro, parsley, and dill) as she may not be able to see or smell her way to her hay and pellets quite as easily.

I'm really sorry for you and Pickle, E.C. is really hard to deal with. HRS has lots of information and stories from other people who have been through it.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Thanks for the information. I feel kind of daft getting emotional over a rabbit but it is definitely heart breaking to see her suffer like she is. Please don't hate me for suggesting this, but do you think it's better if I put her out of her misery?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

That really sucks, and it's not fair that you just the bunny and she's sick :(

Such a cute rabbit too, I hope things turn out ok somehow

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Hanpan posted:

Thanks for the information. I feel kind of daft getting emotional over a rabbit but it is definitely heart breaking to see her suffer like she is. Please don't hate me for suggesting this, but do you think it's better if I put her out of her misery?

I would be hysterical if this happened to one of my buns, I was all upset when my bun just had a slight case of GI Stasis. Don't feel bad. I would make sure you know her diagnosis before making any decisions like that (putting her down). It might be curable! If it's not, I would let her go.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Hanpan posted:

It's not daft. You'd be daft if you could see an animal stumbling around helplessly and NOT have an emotional reaction.

If you are not able to provide the supportive and palliative therapy necessary to bring her through this, euthanasia is a completely valid option. It would be far, far kinder than to let her grow more confused and unable to function as the disease pretty much continues to eat her brain. She may starve herself to death before the disease itself kills her.

That said, you don't have to make the decision immediately. I'd read up on what it takes to diagnose, treat, and support a rabbit with EC. Some come through it easily with little more than a funny walk. Others take months of SubCu fluids, antibiotic injections, syringe feeding, and butt cleaning, only to end up paraplegic (I knew one person whose bunny survived to use a little two-wheel scooter to get around). But if you decide that euthanasia is best, don't beat yourself up about it.

The bad news is that EC is shed in the urine, and it can remain in the environment for a month or more. So the people you got Pickle from need to know, in case their other rabbits are infected. They should all be quarantined and possibly tested. And if you plan on getting another rabbit, you should wait a while, during which time everything Pickle touched (with urine or with urine-y paws) should be disinfected.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
awww house bunnies are cuteness. i want one.

Solar Jetman
Dec 13, 2004

monsters get slain
I got her today! She's such a darling. I fed her some cucumber and pellets for dinner, I need to make it to the store to get some dark greens for her too. Once I dig my camera out of the boxes I moved with I'll post some pics in here.

Solar Jetman fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 26, 2008

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

a gaylord faget posted:

I got Miss Bianca today ! She's such a darling. I fed her some cucumber and pellets for dinner, I need to make it to the store to get some dark greens for her too. Once I dig my camera out of the boxes I moved with I'll post some pics in here.

Yay! Congrats! I've never tried cucumber with my buns. Hmm...I'll have to look into that. I just found out that they love green bell pepper. Which seems strange to me. Can't wait for pictures! (I'm partial to solid black bunnies *see OP* even if she does have stand up ears haha)

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

a gaylord faget posted:

I got Miss Bianca today

I had a rabbit exactly like that when I was a kid. Her name was Nightsky and she would sleep next to my golden retriever. Is she a rex? They're so soft!

Solar Jetman
Dec 13, 2004

monsters get slain
--

Solar Jetman fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 30, 2011

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I came back from veg shopping this afternoon and realized that bunnies can enjoy fresh Basil leaves and I happen to have a full pot of Thai Basil on the patio. I've looked up different information for the plant online but I'm still left unsure as to whether the Thai Basil is really any different from Sweet Basil other than taste and appearance. Is it safe to assume then that the bunnies can eat the Thai Basil without getting ill?

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Just a quick question guys, my girlfriend wants to know if it's ok to feed Pickle some grass? She seems to really like it :X

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Just rinse it really well. You can never be too certain of who in the neighborhood is using pesticides and when. I generally buy "pet grass" at the market because the goddamn kids in my apartment building like to pull out all the signs from the lawn maintenance crew and poke each other in the eyes, or whatever children do with sticks.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Annie's toe nail got infected :(. She seems to be treating it more gingerly, and they had me up the antibiotics to 1.5ml twice a day. She also seems to be a bit more anti social. I never had a problem with her peeing on me before but since her injury she's peed on me twice. Is this just her being fussy because she's in a bit of pain? I'm about to get an apartment and the pickings are slim. Hopefully I won't get a place that says "no pets" but if I do, has anyone had any luck convincing their landlord the bun is way better than a cat/dog?

By the way, if anyone ever has any trouble getting their bun to take medicine (Annie refuses to take it any way from the syringe) you can use it as salad dressing! Hopefully her toe heals soon, my account can't take many more vet visits. (~270$ in 2 weeks)

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Deceptor101 posted:

Annie's toe nail got infected :(. She seems to be treating it more gingerly, and they had me up the antibiotics to 1.5ml twice a day. She also seems to be a bit more anti social. I never had a problem with her peeing on me before but since her injury she's peed on me twice. Is this just her being fussy because she's in a bit of pain? I'm about to get an apartment and the pickings are slim. Hopefully I won't get a place that says "no pets" but if I do, has anyone had any luck convincing their landlord the bun is way better than a cat/dog?

By the way, if anyone ever has any trouble getting their bun to take medicine (Annie refuses to take it any way from the syringe) you can use it as salad dressing! Hopefully her toe heals soon, my account can't take many more vet visits. (~270$ in 2 weeks)

You can also mix medicine with baby food (apple or banana works best, in my opinion). That seems easiest for my buns.

Not really sure about the apartment deal. You can't find any that allow pets? Most of the apartments I've lived in or friends have lived in either have certain buildings that pets are allowed and they always make you pay a hefty pet deposit.

HildyJohnson
May 7, 2007

Deceptor101 posted:

Hopefully I won't get a place that says "no pets" but if I do, has anyone had any luck convincing their landlord the bun is way better than a cat/dog?

I just moved into a new apartment and was worried about that too. It worked out really well, because my landlord had a sister with a rabbit, and ended up waiving all the pet fees because of her previous rabbit experience and because I used the word "caged" on the application (which is true, um, sometimes). I suspect it really depends on what sort of rabbit contact your landlord has had, but it might help to reassure them that your rabbit is litter-trained, that its a "domestic" breed and not a wild animal, etc.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

HildyJohnson posted:

"caged"

Actually, a lot of no-pet apartments will allow caged pets(in my experience anyway), you just have to call and ask about the guidelines. I've had ferrets in an apartment and never paid a pet deposit because they were caged. Not my fault the landlord never asked about what percent of the time the ferrets stayed in the cage ;)

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

Windy posted:

Actually, a lot of no-pet apartments will allow caged pets(in my experience anyway), you just have to call and ask about the guidelines. I've had ferrets in an apartment and never paid a pet deposit because they were caged. Not my fault the landlord never asked about what percent of the time the ferrets stayed in the cage ;)

that's what I've been hoping, she's theoretically caged, and whenever the landlord comes over she will be :)

HildyJohnson
May 7, 2007

Deceptor101 posted:

that's what I've been hoping, she's theoretically caged, and whenever the landlord comes over she will be :)

Yeah, somebody suggested I get a toy bunny and stick it in the corner of the cage, so if maintenance or anyone comes in and glances at it they'll see its occupied. :) The real rabbit would of course run and hide as soon as a strange person walked in.

Vonbrigšum
Feb 23, 2004
Ooh, fancy.
I've been reading this thread too closely and had to get a bunny of my own:

His name is Claude, he likes digging in cardboard boxes and moves too fast for pictures.

So far he's been great but he just made a mess out of my bed :(

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Deceptor101 posted:

I had my landlords over a month or two ago because of my bitchy neighbor. Story aside, he saw my rabbits(which someone forgot to even add to my lease info) had their own room and were both in their cages and just sort of laughed when I said they were litter box trained too. He'd never seen a rabbit that used a box to poo in and I think he was impressed with their chill behavior.

Vonbrigšum, is that a mini Rex bunny you've gotten yourself? I like his pattern.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Vonbrigšum posted:

I've been reading this thread too closely and had to get a bunny of my own:

His name is Claude, he likes digging in cardboard boxes and moves too fast for pictures.

So far he's been great but he just made a mess out of my bed :(

Aww! How sweet. Congratulations! I'm glad another bunny has found a good home.

Ring of Light
Sep 3, 2006

Tricknee Hacksaw posted:

How much fluff? Here's a closeup of the fur between his ears, looking unusually tidy:

HildyJohnson - that cage looks awesome, good job!

My bunny's fur looked just like this. When I adopted him they said he was half jersey wooley

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

This sky is not pretty at all. It's rough and masculine. Like me.

Ring of Light posted:

My bunny's fur looked just like this. When I adopted him they said he was half jersey wooley

Really? Well that's the closest lead I have so far! Thanks :)

You Are
Dec 1, 2006

We Todd Ed.
For anyone considering taking in a second rabbit to accompany their first, please do. One bunny is curious, two bunnies make Lewis and Clark. Many good times are to be had (when they're not snuggle buddies). Rabbits are social creatures, so more than one is fitting. To avoid them fighting the first moment they meet one another, I've heard that it's a good idea to get them used to one another's smells first.

Tinkerhell posted:

...The only problem was that she propelled herself with poop. I swear ever 5 hops there was a little pellet on the ground. I think she got the hang of peeing in the cage but it was like she didn't even know she was pooping.

Have you ever read Hansel and Gretyl? The crumb trail reflects your situation.

Pictures of Sugar soon, I swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honk
Nov 15, 2004
Smile. It makes people wonder what you're thinking about.
This is our new pet, Frou-Frou. He was found on the street by my mom. We asked around and he didn't run away from any of the neighbours and in the small village my parents are living it was rather unusual that nobody know a thing about him.
So we decided to let him be checked by a vet and then adopt him as my girlfriend always wanted a pet and a bunny was better than a turtle.
He is approx. 4 to 5 months old.
After two weeks we neutered him because his pee was so smelly and the vet did it for free as my mom also adopted another bunny, but this will be another post coming soon.

Have some pictures of the cuteness that is Frou-Frou:

This is the previous pet of my significant other, the RABBIT Heidi, now living with my girlfriend's mom as she is too big to live in our apartment. Frou-Frou is as big as Heidi's head, so there are no pictures together as I thought she might perhaps eat him or something like that:

Oh, and these are Frou-Frou's balls. I said I wanted to have them so I can eat them and by that the sexual stamina of the bunny is transfered to me:

I just don't know if I should fry, cook or eat them raw. So for now they are just for showing them to Frou-Frou to remind him what happens when he dumps the dirt out of the flowerpots.

Honk fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 7, 2007