Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foranzan
Sep 22, 2006

I'm a public embarrassment, I'm a bottle of diet poison
I'm an owner of two rabbits which I rescued from the Iowa City Humane Society.

I'm not 100% sure of what breeds they are, but according to the papers we have on them, when we got them (Back in November) they were 6 months old.

My main problem is this:

I'm still pretty sure that they hate me. They take off running whenever I get near them, they hate being touched, HATE being picked up, clipping their nails is a huge ordeal, but whenever I have food, they'll eat from my hands no problem.

The only thing I can think of is that they were abused before I adopted them, but they seem to hate anything I do with them unless I'm feeding them.

Anything I can do to make them stop being so scared of me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foranzan
Sep 22, 2006

I own two rabbits that I adopted from the local Humane Society.

My question is about shedding.

Most bunny guides that I've seen say that most rabbits shed every 2-5 months, depending on the rabbit (Most say about 3 months), however, one of my girls (I own two females) seems to shed constantly.

I keep a fairly normal diet (timothy hay constantly, greens and carrot treats, usually keep their hay pellets full as well, there are dried fruits/vegetables in those as well).

Tonight I clipped the nails of the one who sheds a lot, and it was everywhere by the time I finished (she didn't struggle too much so it really wasn't that that was causing it)

I brush them occasionally, but I try not to be too touchy feely with them since they've made it perfectly clear they do NOT liked to be touched/held (which kinda makes me sad :( )

They are not spayed and about 1 1/2 years old.

The only things I could think of is getting them spayed or a change in their diet...but I really don't know what to do.

Foranzan fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 30, 2007

Foranzan
Sep 22, 2006

Quick question:

I occasionally burn a candle in the room the rabbits are in to sometimes help reduce the smell of urine (this is, post-cleaning but pre-before it needs cleaning again)

Is the scent from the candle going to hurt the rabbits? (A la, never put them in ceder bedding since the smell can hurt their insides)

Foranzan
Sep 22, 2006

NMR posted:

Not to be a dick or anything but if the smell of urine is so bad you have to burn scented candles, you need to clean their litterboxes more often. If you use that Carefresh stuff it takes at least three days before you start to smell anything.

I change their boxes every Sunday and Thursday, and I do use the carefresh, but for whatever reason, after about, one or two days, it's pretty evident there's a bad smell.

They are in a small room which probably doesn't help (when they're in their cages)

Foranzan
Sep 22, 2006

Deceptor101 posted:

Unless your bunnies pee a gallon each time, this probably means they're missing the box. I use carefresh and change it about as often as you do and I NEVER smell it, except when I'm dumping the box into the garbage bag (and christ, it's like unleashing hell). I had to add higher walls to my boxes because Ben was peeing backwards rather than down. Check around the litterbox or the cage, they're probably peeing somewhere you haven't noticed. Or you need to use more litter *shrug*

well, to be quite honest I'm having trouble with their litter boxes. they both use the same corner of their cage, but they also push the box out of that corner whenever I put it there (I put carefresh in and up around it as well).

And of course Enid, who loves to dig, digs and it gets everywhere.

Not sure how I can "force" them to use the box.