Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

This sky is not pretty at all. It's rough and masculine. Like me.
I just took one home from work..we had him up for adoption at the store after someone just dropped him off. He's very sweet to me, lots of kisses and head-butts for petting. He reminds me of a very calm cat that likes to hide under things and be brushed.

Blanking on a name though. His ears look like DrivesLikeAGirl's black bunny and he has that greyish almost blue fur. His name was originally "Jake" but I don't know if I like it.

Interested in hearing bunny stories from all y'all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

I have bunny pictures now :) And a name for the little guy.

This is Hazel after hopping up onto the couch to watch icky daytime TV with me. He's much too endearing for his own good. He follows me around from room to room, attacks my ankle with kisses and the occasional nibble, and might be the softest animal I have ever touched.

I have no idea what type of rabbit he is. He's probably just a big gray mutt.

We're thinking about building a wire cube cage for him (bigger) and also thinking about finding him a friend, since we both work fulltime and don't get to hang out with him as much as desired. We have two rabbit rescues in the area as well as the humane society. Any advice?

Chilling under the computer. Yes I was watching him to make sure no cords were nibbled :)

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

SurprisingWoman posted:

I don't really want to become known as just a link poster, but animals are important to me.

Here is a really important petition to sign to show PetSmart that they shouldn't start selling house rabbits:

http://network.bestfriends.org/truth/news/17169.html

Last I heard, rabbits had been removed from stores...are they thinking about putting them back in??

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

My Hazel uses a corner litterbox, seems rather fond of it too. Though I don't suppose he's ever had anything else, so how would he know any better?

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of rabbit he is. He looks a lot like the bunny pictured in alucinor's first photo, but a dusty grey. His fur is very soft and about as long as that of a short-haired cat. He also has longer tanner fur between his ears. It's his toupee.

Looks a little more blue than he really is in this picture.

He gets to be neutered soon. Yippie for everyone!

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

a gaylord faget posted:

He might be part Lionhead if he has a fluff on his pate.

How much fluff? Here's a closeup of the fur between his ears, looking unusually tidy:

HildyJohnson - that cage looks awesome, good job!

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

Ring of Light posted:

My bunny's fur looked just like this. When I adopted him they said he was half jersey wooley

Really? Well that's the closest lead I have so far! Thanks :)

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

So I just got back from dropping Hazel off at the vet's for a little snippy snippy.

Anything I should be aware of when I bring him back home? Any particular foods or precautions? I understand he'll probably be a little annoyed with me, but is there anything in particular I should be doing?

I'm looking forward to my ball-less bunny. No humping/spraying/licking-then-nipping. Or buzzing, but I always thought that was kinda cute.

A picture for good measure - look who's stylin!

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

sgocity posted:

Do you guys have problems with your rabbits trying to eat you?

My rabbit (pictures soon) tries to eat my fingertips. :( At first I thought maybe they smelled like food, but I've washed them thoroughly and then let her sniff them and she still nibbles. I know she's not doing it defensively either - I'll just be sitting there and she'll come up to me and start trying to eat my fingers. And I don't think they're love nibbles either, because if I don't pull my fingers away she starts biting harder and it hurts.

She doesn't nibble any other body part - just the fingertips.

Is this normal? Is there anyway to stop it? I've told her "No" really firmly but we all know how well that works with rabbits. :)

Mine likes to eat my ankle, but it's mating behavior. I got him neutered but he still does it...vet says it's probably learned behavior and I should just kinda deal with it. But I can't walk around with the bunny out without getting nibbled, kind of annoying.

I use a spray bottle to keep him out of places he shouldn't go, like behind the TV. It works, and it's starting to work on the nibbling too. Give that a try?

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

Because we can't keep store-bought cages for more than a few months without deciding we can do better, the boy and I have built another cage, this time for the bunny.

We built it out of those wire shelf cube things which happened to be on sale at Target. Add green indoor/outdoor carpet and a mess'o'cable ties, and we got a cage.

I added some of his old litter into his box so it smelled like him and his poop corner. Hope he uses it, he was getting sloppy in his old cage. Also he gets his rhino and shred-rug, not that he uses it.

Side-view, obviously.

The cage is situated in a better part of the house for free-roaming, too. Less cables, less nooks. Yay!

He went straight for his hide-box, which is to be expected...

I've always had crappy handwriting..I mostly just wanted to cover up the Amazon.Com logo.

One relaxed bunny (with paper near his eye) This is right before I brushed a gently caress-ton of loose hair off him. Yay shedding season.

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

Oy, this bunny bonding is tricky business.

About a month and a half ago, we got a lady friend for Hazel, who is a male despite the emasculating name. The bonding was going well and after about three weeks, we felt comfortable putting them together in Hazel's cage.

This was fine for a while, until I noticed a large bald spot on Hazel. After questioning some houseguests who were home during the day when we were not, it turns out that "oh yeah, they were kinda noisy the other day..."

Fine, so we separated them. We have a split-level cage and we just closed off the opening so that Hazel was stuck up top and Kiwi was stuck below. So they've still been able to smell each other, they're not completely separated.

We gave that a little time (about a week) and today I put them together in a large playpen. Neutral territory. But it was so weird. Hazel would burrow his nose beneath Kiwi, who would proceed to hump him, but she would climb over him, kicking him in the process. I think this is where the bald spots came from as a large puff of fur came off Hazel as we watched this happen. I know bunnies hump for dominance reasons, but it's weird that he...it's like he encouraged her to do it. He also nipped at her during their encounter.

So what do you guys think went wrong? They had been cuddling/laying nose-to-nose/grooming/licking, all that stuff...but now there's a huge increase in dominance behavior.
Do you think we rushed the move into the new cage? All the right signs seemed to be there at the time but obviously something happened.

Mostly we got the second rabbit for Hazel's sake. I'm wondering now if it was really the best idea :(
Sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense, I'm a bit frazzled, I guess.

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

Sounds like hormones. I apologize if you'd said this already but is he/she altered?

If that fails...both my rabbits go through mood swings, especially Kiwi. It had to do with what we were feeding her, when we were taking her out to play and how often, and her bonding efforts with our other rabbit. Bunnies get PMS too I guess!

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

Mmm I don't know if keeping her in the cage as punishment is that great an idea, but I wish I had better advice to give :(

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

Bunnies poop a lot in new territory as they get used to it, especially if they're nervous.
Have you owned rabbits before? I ask because I'm wondering if you think he poops a lot because other rabbits you've had didn't poop so much, or because it just seems like a lot of poop.

Either way, he's probably fine as long as he's eating and drinking properly :)

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

I'm having a similar problem with one of my rabbits - we just had her in the vet's on Sunday getting a mass removed from her shoulder (it's being biopsied, they're pretty sure it isn't a tumor) and she hasn't eaten since, other than a little bit of lettuce that I saw.
Well of course that's bad, so we took her in earlier today. The vet wanted to give us some Critical Care for her...yeah no. Burritoed or not, she fights us as soon as the syringe appears and simply won't take the stuff once we get it to her. She holds it in her mouth and as soon as she can, spits every bit of it right back out. The vet wants us to go back in tomorrow morning and I'm not sure what they're going to do about it.

Rabbits. And this is AFTER the other one had to get a couple teeth pulled (he's doing just fine, but he's a little momma's boy and always tries to get on everyone's good side all the time) It's funny, we've never had a medical problem with the rabbits and now we get two in a month. Go figure.

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

Just found a website that might be helpful to some people: http://www.flickr.com/groups/bunnyloversunite/discuss/72157600299251247/
It's a picture guide to rabbit poop. Hey, to own a small animal is to be on constant watch for bizarre poop.

It was helpful to me just now anyway..

The rabbit that we've been having feeding issues with likely is moving into stasis issues. When I took her in yesterday morning, the tech syringe-fed my rabbit and showed me some tricks, and between that feeding and the two I gave her later in the day, most of the food disappeared into the bunny.

Well, now I see little, weird-looking dark poops in her cage and I know that's not a good thing. I'm going to call the vet again, but I'm worried they're just going to tell me to bring her in and keep syringe-feeding her. I'm not really confident that syringe-feeding is enough for her.

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

When Kiwi was having her issues post surgery, when I rinsed her lettuce I didn't shake all the water off. That way she was ingesting water with the lettuce.

Kiwi's doing better by the way - her poops are really pale though, which is weird. They're the right size though!

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

blue_kameleon posted:

Next time maybe try and be a bit more understanding of someones situation before you attack them for being horrible pet owners.

She isn't attacking you. You asked if you were "doing it right" and she said "no".

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

Well, being that it's that time of year, we figured our rabbits shouldn't be left out of the holiday spirit. So we bought them a box!
A very awesome, three-leveled box, especially made for rabbits to play in, hide in, and chew up.

I took some photos while they were exploring it for the first time and I thought I'd share :)

Hazel quickly found his way to the second level but expressed some hesitancy about the top level.

Kiwi doesn't like levels, so she'll probably be sticking around the ground floor most often.

Discussing the finer points of their new house, or possibly chewing on it.

The new box also came with a fresh shipment of Oxbow hay, which the rabbits celebrated by throwing it all over the cage. Of course!

Also they both seem to be doing better since their medical problems I mentioned a few pages back.. Hazel is starting to eat hay on his own (Hallelujah!) and Kiwi is just as good, or bad, as ever.

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

TravBot posted:

Where did you find this box?

http://leithpetwerks.com/

Pretty cool store, I recommend!

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

Windy posted:

I forget what I had to give Debbie that she loved so much, it must have tasted like candy. She'd attack the syringe to get at its contents without being in a burrito. To get her to eat the Critical Care mash(which was never entirely successful) I mixed in some banana baby food. You could maybe try that or the carrot flavor.

Probably Baytril. My rabbits love that stuff, or at least Hazel does. Kiwi hates everything, ever. Bright pink, smells kinda like strawberry?

Critical Care is such a nightmare to feed (although Hazel, of course, eats it out of a spoon) Baby food works sometimes and I also found that a little fruit juice (sugar free) is slightly helpful.

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

Windy posted:

But yeah, Critical Care feedings were wretched.

Yeah we ended up with Critical Care on our ceiling, on the walls, on me... Kiwi would shake her head really violently with her mouth open. Yeah.
We finally just stopped forcing it on her, because it was stressing her out a whole lot and we were afraid it would make her worse. Fortunately, she started eating on her own a day after we stopped with the CC. Thank God, that was a serious mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

Baitu posted:

Thanks for the link.

Oh awesome, I'm glad you checked it out. They seem like a nice company. And I'm glad your bunnies liked most of the stuff!