Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

I'm not gay but my wiener is.
I don't have a house rabbit currently but I'm a huge fan. We had one while I was growing up. Mr. Bunn was definitely my mom's pet. She had a hutch built for him outside her office window so she could take him to work with her during the day. He would scratch her window to get lettuce and ear rubs. And he ruled the cats with an iron paw. He was a substantial size and threw his weight around. He lived for 10 years as a little dictator and we loved every minute of it. My mom was heartbroken when he died and hasn't replaced him in the 10 years since his death.

I recently spent some time with a friend who has two house rabbits. And I wanted to take them home with me so badly. We've been throwing around the idea of getting a house rabbit. I'm a little hesitant of how the dogs will react.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

^^^ Look at those ears!!! Totally cute. You are one lucky person.

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

As far as I know, no rabbits are hypoallergenic. They are all very fastidious groomers and their allergen-loaded saliva is all over them. However, my mom is allergic to cats and rabbits, yet we had them for years. She took allergy medication all the time and wouldn't let the pets in her bedroom. Thinking about it now, she must have been miserable all the time but she refused to live without pets.

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

Deceptor101 posted:

Oh and her run in with the cat cost me a sizable amount of dough. It was also her first trip to the vet so I had other stuff done but General Health Checkup+Fecal Centrifuge exam(supposedly once a year)+Bandage+antibacterial medicine= Me feeling like I dropped the soap in prison (~140$). I'll have to take her in a few more times to get the bandage redone until the nail grows back too. *sigh*

That's actually not too bad a price for all that work. But, yeah, if you're not expecting it, it hurts.

My mom's Mr. Bunn had a unicorn ear for about a year until his ears got too heavy to stand up. In his prime, his ears were so long they would drag on the ground.

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

Corridor posted:

The rest of the world's opinion on cuteness is not exactly a comfort to me. :words:

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but why come to a thread on house bunnies and their fanatical devotees and state your opinion here? Obviously nothing is going to change your mind and you'll have a hard time changing ours.

Go threadshit elsewhere.

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

Corridor posted:

...how is this remotely threadshitting? It's a discussion about bunnies. I don't give two shits whether your opinions change or not, I don't even care that much about mine on this subject. It's just, you know, conversation. It wasn't unfriendly. I can't say I honestly expected anyone to take offense at my random statement that bunnies look kinda creepy unless they had some kind of connection to a scary bunnygod.

Anyway, I ventured into this forum to get advice on my sick kitty, and yeah, now I'm going to leave again, because a lot of you people on here are extremely goddamn weird, and in all honesty creep me out more than the bunnies did.

I got your point and it does make me sound like I was overreacting. Fine, I'll shut up. My apologies to everyone. Now make with the cute bunnahs!

Like this one:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

Levitate posted:

Out of curiosity, do other people here have completely free range rabbits? Mine hated cages from the beginning, so at this point, he gets run of the place.

My mom's late Mr. Bunn was pretty much free range. Mom took him to work with her and he had an outside hutch built attached to her office window for sunning (at home we had a balcony for the same purpose, I swear he was solar-powered). But that's about it. We had nibbles in all the furniture, cords in PVC pipes taped to the walls, and a big happy rabbit to greet people at the door. He had a litter box in each room but we still had to vacuum up poops every day. It worked out pretty well. I'm sure the cats would have preferred Mr. Bunn caged, he had a tendency to harass them.

I've been trying to find a picture of a rabbit that looks similar to Mr. Bunn for you all and this one is almost an exact match. Just imagine him ginormous with fluffier feet:

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 1, 2007

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

Honk posted:

This is our new pet, Frou-Frou.
:words:
Oh, and these are Frou-Frou's balls.

Aww! Cute orange creamsicle bunbun. . . Oh Dear God! :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

My mom's late Mr. Bunn had a small dog harness (big rabbit) and thin 6' leash. I would think that just a collar wouldn't be good because I've seen bunnies wiggle right out of them.

We've decided to forgo getting a rabbit right now. As much as we want one, I just can't trust Fern (the beagle) not to scare it to death. So we are going with our second choice, a rat. But I'm confident that bunnies are in our future!

Until then, keep the pictures and info coming!