Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HildyJohnson
May 7, 2007
My rabbit just ate my shoe : (
Hi, I recently made a stylin' cage out of one of those cube organizer kits, plexiglass flooring, and bits of FLOR carpeting - which I was afraid would get chewed up immediately, but it hasn't been a problem at all, I think because it has that tough tile backing.
Zoe:
https://wi.somethingawful.com/51/51b8e96758e1107a153306d367f5fe5bad41103d.jpg
My creation:
https://wi.somethingawful.com/95/95957d042cf62af0c30cd18006885753e5da683b.jpg
Exploring the new house:
https://wi.somethingawful.com/78/7865ce31061fb9a9049398e3d887bc6faf8319bf.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HildyJohnson
May 7, 2007

Deceptor101 posted:

Hopefully I won't get a place that says "no pets" but if I do, has anyone had any luck convincing their landlord the bun is way better than a cat/dog?

I just moved into a new apartment and was worried about that too. It worked out really well, because my landlord had a sister with a rabbit, and ended up waiving all the pet fees because of her previous rabbit experience and because I used the word "caged" on the application (which is true, um, sometimes). I suspect it really depends on what sort of rabbit contact your landlord has had, but it might help to reassure them that your rabbit is litter-trained, that its a "domestic" breed and not a wild animal, etc.

HildyJohnson
May 7, 2007

Deceptor101 posted:

that's what I've been hoping, she's theoretically caged, and whenever the landlord comes over she will be :)

Yeah, somebody suggested I get a toy bunny and stick it in the corner of the cage, so if maintenance or anyone comes in and glances at it they'll see its occupied. :) The real rabbit would of course run and hide as soon as a strange person walked in.

HildyJohnson
May 7, 2007
My rabbit has learned to read me WAY too well. Like, mind-reader well. She has free run of most of my apartment (I bunny-proofed before I unpacked my own stuff, if that tells you who's in charge), but yesterday morning I wanted to put her in her cage before I left because I knew maintenance would be coming by, and she is technically a "caged animal" on my lease. She voluntarily spends half her time in there anyway, it's where all her stuff is, so easy, right?

So I went and got her breakfast and called her over, just like I always do, and she got all excited just like usual, and we walk over to her cage with her tripping me up at my feet exactly like we do every time she gets any food/treats. Then as I knelt down to put her food inside (exactly where it always goes), she took one look at me and just fled behind the couch, refusing to come out even after I put the food down and walked away. I swear I was not making any crazy expression, in fact I was being really careful to act normally since she's been ridiculous to get in her carrier lately and I knew she might smell a rat. And I've never had much trouble faking emotions/lying to people. It's downright creepy.

Anyway she won, because I really wasn't that worried about it and I had to leave. But I can't stop trying to figure out how she outsmarted me! HOW?!

EDIT: Also, despite the fact that it's an epic battle to get her in the carrier when I have to take her anywhere, she goes in just to hang out/dig all the time when I'm around. I swear she's mocking me :mad:

HildyJohnson fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 20, 2008

HildyJohnson
May 7, 2007

alucinor posted:

Oxbow Bunny Basic T, bought online direct or even from Amazon so you can get a break on shipping. If you buy in bulk (a 50lb box), you can save a lot of money. Just buy a pet food container that can seal very tightly, and store it inside that.

They've started selling oxbow pellets at Petsmart now, so most people probably don't even need to ship them anymore.

HildyJohnson
May 7, 2007
I started going to Petsmart over Petco largely because seeing that stuff, especially with bunnies, is too upsetting to me. It's not even like I'm intentionally trying to support one chain over the other, I'm sure there are plenty of bad things to be said about Petsmart, but at least I can shop there without witnessing random assholes and their children attacking baby rabbits.

And now they have Oxbow, which seems to be considered the gold standard in rabbit pellets, so even better. It's a bit of a drive for me, but I just stock up on a month or two of supplies each time.

HildyJohnson
May 7, 2007
Do you guys have advice on protecting the floor under the bunny pen? I'm moving into a rental with nice wood floors and my rabbit is a fan of the "stand at the very edge of the litter box no matter how big it is and pee over the side" method. I was thinking about a tarp but I feel like he would start trying to eat it pretty quickly.

HildyJohnson
May 7, 2007
Thanks, coroplast does look promising, I'd heard it mentioned before but for some reason I was thinking it was just coated cardboard, now I see it's actually plastic, I'll look for that or the treadmill mat. The mat actually might be even better because of the nonslip factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HildyJohnson
May 7, 2007

Prawned posted:

We got a piece of loose linoleum cut and put that under their cage-area, since both buns love to arc a beautiful stream of cloudy piss onto the floor while contently sitting in the litter box.

Yeah I definitely need to pick something waterproof around the litter box because my rabbit subscribes to this lifestyle. I now use a high-sided box to improve the odds but he sometimes leaves his butt hanging out the entrance to pee first prior to fully entering the box.