Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
So I finally got tired of that barnyard look in the bun's cage and I decided to build a hay feeder! I first got the idea from Save-a-Bunny when I was adopting Ben and I noticed how clean all their cages were, and I'm doing major bunny cleaning this weekend, so I figured it was a good time. (I have been smelling major bunny pee, but I couldn't figure out where, turns out Ben has been peeing over the rim of the litter box,(the litter box walls are now a foot high :) )) Here's the end result, I'm quite happy with it!(I put parsley in there to celebrate):

For a rough explanation with lots of pictures on how I built it, head on over to my site: http://playingwithmadness.com/blog/?p=171

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

alucinor posted:

Very nice, but I'm anxious about all the little ends. How close did you trim them? If you run your hand over the cut ends, is it at all sharp? Buns get mouth abscesses fairly easily; if a lip or cheek is cut you might end up with a horrible situation.

You might want to get a length of 1/2" pvc (or similar) pipe, slice it down the middle, then cut it to size so you can slide it over all four sides of the opening, as a barrier against the little sharp ends.

Hmm, I cut them about as short as the cutters will let me, but yeah, some of em are still scratchy. I like the pvc pipe idea, or I was thinking of just sanding them down. As it is, the bunnies would have to chin the hay feeder to get scratched, which, on thinking about it, is quite likely. I'm gonna go run to the hardware store....

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Update on feeder for mine and alucinor's sanity:

Should be plenty safe now. Updated the guide too.
Big horny Cow/Insidion that is an amazing cage! I can't wait till I have that much free space in my room for them!

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

So Annie leaped into her litterbox today, and somehow took this stray mat with her, and well, it's just too perfect:

Can't you just see her saying "I has a fort, no humans allowed!"
(those orange plastic things are Schluter Ditra, we sell em at my tile store, ben likes to pee Out, rather than down)

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Dangit, in terms of simplicity, time spent, money spent, and user friendly-ness and bun-safety that thing completely trounces mine. Good find!

I'm still a little worried about Ben and Annie. They don't fight at all, and I still see Annie groom Ben all the time, but I never see him groom her, and I see a tuft of her hair on the floor of the cage or room about once a day. If I see it happen, she just runs away. Is Ben an abusive husbun and Annie is just trying to pretend it's not a problem or is it really not a problem and males just do that?

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Yay another question. Posted this in the Rat faq as well, but:
My sister is going out of town for about 2 months and currently has 2 rats, both females. She would like me to take care of them and, since I've had about 10 rats total in my life not counting litters, that'd be fine except: I have two pet rabbits. I have heard issues about guinea pigs and rabbits fecal matter being poisonous to one another, or something along those lines and I was wondering if anyone knew of any specific rabbit to rat problems. They wouldn't be hanging out or anything, but the rabbits may bound near the cage (they essentially have free range of the house) Anything I need to be concerned about here?

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

hrmm, maybe I'm thinking of something else? Ah well, only response I've gotten so far in the rat thread is "should be ok just clean up droppings near the cage" anyone have a more science based answer or is that pretty much the case? Those rats are vicious little creatures too. I've had so many rats and these are the only ones that have ever more than nipped at me, one siezed a hold of my finger and bit HARD. I heard a crunch and it bled FAST. Needless to say I'm not too excited about taking care of them, but maybe if they learn that I'm their primary caregiver they'll be nicer =/.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Update on the rabbits:
After much careful consideration (and bun-proofing), the bunnies have effectively become free range. They're in my room at night but during the whole day they have the hall way and living room to run through too, and let me tell you, nothing beats coming home from work and having Annie waiting by the door for you. It's adorable! I guess she hears me coming up the steps or something. She totally has the morning routine down too and will wait in the kitchen while I prep the veggies because she knows I'll toss her snacks. =D.

Bagleworm: Nobbers looks super cute! Have you tried things like parsley, cilantro(your hands will smell for hours after chopping this stuff), and Red chard? My buns won't touch spinach either. I also give them some celery from time to time too, bonus points if you can get long stem celery with leafiness!

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Bagleworm posted:

Nobbers likes parsely and leafy celery, but they're hard to find around here. It's a pain even trying to find non-wilted lettuce, some days.
Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that, I live near plenty of hippies so we have organic produce all around!(leafy celery is still a rarity for me though)

Bagleworm posted:

Any tips on minimizing this?
I think the safest bet would be behind a locked door. As far as your sister goes, I wouldn't worry as much as the dog, she'll probably get bored with Nobbers pretty fast, as he'll most likely just hide in his box. It really depends on what kind of dog, but if you can keep the rooms separate it'll make a big deal. Also probably just making sure to spend some quality time with Nobbers petting him with no other things going on, that'll help him get used to the new room. The key thing will be is just to introduce him to as few new things as possible. Maybe get there before any other family does so he can adjust to the room and the new people before even more people show up? To be honest, it sounds like he's a pretty laid back rabbit, so he'll probably handle it fine, unless your sister is chasing him around his cage with her hand while the dog is barking and 7 new people are circling the cage =P.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

okiecompy posted:

Here's a link to a vid of her playing with it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=h1oAlW8c5Zk

Holy crap this looks like so much fun, I'd love to play with my rabbits like that. Luckily tomorrow is my day off and there's a pet store close by!

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Foranzan posted:

I change their boxes every Sunday and Thursday, and I do use the carefresh, but for whatever reason, after about, one or two days, it's pretty evident there's a bad smell.

They are in a small room which probably doesn't help (when they're in their cages)

Unless your bunnies pee a gallon each time, this probably means they're missing the box. I use carefresh and change it about as often as you do and I NEVER smell it, except when I'm dumping the box into the garbage bag (and christ, it's like unleashing hell). I had to add higher walls to my boxes because Ben was peeing backwards rather than down. Check around the litterbox or the cage, they're probably peeing somewhere you haven't noticed. Or you need to use more litter *shrug*

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

ritjet posted:

To all who have actually bonded rabbits, what made you do it?

I thought about getting another one, but Belle always acts like an independent bunny. I like her personality already. I'm afraid that it might change if we try bonding her.

Is it absolutely necessary to bond rabbits or can they live long lives without a bunny friend?

If you can setup the a kind of dating thing at a shelter, try it, throw her in with quite a few different guys, and see if they hit it off. I'm tons happier with two bunnies, seeing how they interact is amazing. Ben is still a little pest sometimes and will nip at Annie (I was collecting all the tufts into a pile, but it got too big) but obviously it doesn't bother her, because then he'll snuggle his nose under her and she grooms him. Snuggling buns are awesome too.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

alucinor posted:

:words:

I cannot agree with this more, if you just get a rabbit without checking, you could be in for a hellish time. Anyone who's thinking about bonding go through the earlier pages of this thread when I got Ben from SaveABunny. I'm pretty sure I couldn't shut up about how easy they'd made it.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

okiecompy posted:

Well this sucks :< Now I really want to get a buddy for Pix but I already know my mom definitely doesn't want another bun, and she absolutely will not buy a second cage. Should I push her to try it anyways?

you can try some speed dating, and you might get as lucky as i did. The buns spent 2 days in a pen at saveabunny, and 3 days in a collapsable pen in the kitchen (your mom could probably deal with 3 days) and then they were so in love they could move into annie's old cage. As long as your current cage is large enough for both, it might work out well. Whats her reasoning against a second bun? it's less maintenance, just more food/more litterbox changes.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Not that I'm saying we should eat them, but as far as animal feces goes, rabbits are pretty dang nice. It's all munched up veggies, so it doesn't smell, and dries fast. Can anyone say the same for cat/dog poo?

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Alright so I'm kinda getting fedup with Ben. He just hides under the bed all day and all night, or hides in the box, his only interaction with Annie is either her grooming him, or him chasing her nipping. She doesn't think it's playing I can tell because she doesn't shake her head, and she just runs away, only fighting back if shes cornered. He only sits for pets if hes cornered too, he's just a skittish guy. I've only seen him groom Annie once and that was months ago by now. I'm just sad I keep finding Annie fur everywhere. Honestly brushing her does nothing anymore because of how much he pulls out (or its between coats :) )

e: gently caress Annie really has been fighting back, Ben has a bite on his back that is definitely bloody, not actively bleeding though, just my luck it was in the 15% of his coat that's dark so I didn't find it till brushing. On the phone with the vet, but what are they going to do, put a bandaid on it?

Deceptor101 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 19, 2007

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Thanks for the quick reply, taking him in tonight. God that was sad setting up separate housing. Ben looks lonely, and he's shaking the bars of annies cage. I'll keep you guys updated. :(

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

theflosquito posted:

Another question: my bunny is fairly well litter trained, but today he had an accident where he peed on my couch while I was petting him. I immediately grabbed my water gun and squirted him, as his previous owner told me to do. Now, about 5 hours later, he is still pissed with me: he is sitting in his cage, and will not even accept a raison from me.

How long should I expect him to be mad?

Have I done anything cruel by using the water gun? Should I do something else, or would introducing a new training technique mess him up more?

THANK YOU for all the help so far! Pickle is my first house rabbit and even though I have done a lot of research I am definitely still learning a lot!

Only time i've ever had Annie pee outside of her box was when she tried to get away a few times and i had to stop her (was trying to feed antibiotics). Thus, was he trying toget away at al, fidgeting in any manner? I personally wouldn't recommend the squirt bottle, i get the impressive negative feedback doesn't work too hot on buns

Update from the vet: They shaved the wound and apparently its healing already and looking great. No antibiotics were recommended and I also found 2 coupons for 40$ off! God, what I thought would be 100$ was merely 23! The new cage setup still saddens me, but ben seems to be getting used to it. I'll switch them in the cages every week so nobody gets territorial over the main cage.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

theflosquito posted:

He was sitting on the couch next to me getting his head scratched at the time. He usually curls up next to me for a few hours each night to get his head rubbed, and he didn't seem to be distressed at all.

I'm not so happy about the squirt bottle idea either, but I didn't want to change too much from his previous home. Is there a better way to deal with this in the future?

Well, you may have a lazy bun. I noticed this in my buns since I put the hay feeder in. If too much hay gets on the ground, they'll just lay in it, eat it, love it, and never want to leave it, and a few times have peed there. Maybe your bun was just enjoying the head scratching too much and didn't want to go all the way back to the litterbox.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

My rabbits almost never touch the tile in my kitchen. Occasionally Annie will walk slowly into it, but I can tell she doesn't like it, because if she needs to run, she knows she cant. Rabbits get all their grip from their nails, their paws are fuzz. So on smooth surfaces they just slide. That would be a worry about your stairs too, if they aren't carpeted and have no back, if something scared them they could slide right through the stairs. From the sound of your house, I'd recommend a cat, since as far as I know, cats don't mind the type of floor nearly as much, and can handle a fall from a stair much better. If the stairs are carpeted, the rabbits will never slip. Their grip is amazing on carpet :)

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Agreed. To each their own. Your opinion is just that.

With that, here is my Annie Statue:

And Ben sitting by his newly demolished Christmas present willow ball:

Note how the peeled willow ball is untouched? Yeah that one's been there for MONTHS. I have no idea why they don't like peeled, but I'm never getting them again. Unpeeled4lyfe

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Ohnoes, you're an '06. I bow down in your greatness. Just because this is SA doesn't mean every thread needs to turn into some e-arguement. There are sections of the forums for that. Anyways, when I joined has nothing to do with how long I've been a part of SA, just when my financial situation got to a point where I was willing to pay 10$ to contribute, But clearly, that means you>us.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

As an '07 I humbly accept your reign, and note that mine won't chew shoelaces, but have chewed ONE of the plastic ends off each of my shoe's laces Not both, just one, off every shoe.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

I imagine keeping her in will only make things worse, however, shouldn't she theoretically have way less hormones? How can she PMS? I've never run into anything like that with Annie who was spayed in April. Has anything changed around the house?
Like a new type of music? It could be anything really that she's for some reason sensitive to. Any changes in diet?

My buns don't really seem depressed but I've noticed more and more nuzzling through the cage, so I'm hoping they're missing each other. Ben is almost fully healed now and doing great. I'm going to switch cages on them tonight, to let Ben know that the cage is still just as much his. I miss watching bunny grooming :(.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

awesome pic, too bad you're just another '07 like me.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Aww, he sounds like a trooper! He looks like he has an amazing coat too! Ben had gotten attacked before I adopted him and he now has large scarring in his right eye as seen here (the flash distorts the color sadly):

Thankfully that was that with him and he didn't have any of the later effects you describe. He also still seems to have fine vision in it (although he's a damned jumpy rabbit)

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

This whole rabbits being timid of the 2nd and 3rd floors things confuses me. When I put Annie in the current cage she's in now, she went nuts with excitement! She was almost doing the happy dance off the 2nd floor onto the first, you guys clearly needed to starve your rabbits of living room for longer.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

So about every week I clean or every other litterbox change I clean their cage pretty rigorously. Picking up stray poops, hay,etc. and every single time they both rush into the cage and kinda bounce around like "HAY, WTF MAN, I spent all day decorating with that poop and you're just gonna put it away like that? whats up with that? Oh fine, you'll just keep cleaning then? Fine, I'm gonna go sit under the bed. Meanie." I love it.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Mo does this odd teeth grinding noise when I scratch around his jaws, and he seems content to stay for the pets as long as I scratch him. Is this just his way to saying "Keep going, bitch?" rather than "something is wrong with me FIX IT!"?

From what I've heard a soft grinding is a good thing, and it means they're happy. Both of mine do it too when i scratch their cheeks. However if it's very loud apparently it means pain, but if it's just when you scratch his cheeks I wouldn't worry about it.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

For anyone who's buns love chewing on pine cones, Michael's, the craft store (at least in my area) is having an 80% off on pine cones right now. I got 4 bags of 6-8 cones each at 79 cents a bag! Beware though, there are ones in a plastic bag that are regular pine cones, and there are ones in a mesh bag that are SCENTED with cinnamon or something. Obviously the scented one would probably be bad. (it's also 21 cents more per bag!) The Michael's in Emeryville CA is having this sale, hopefully the one near you is too!

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

if its next to a wall, you could do a wall mount, a zip tie to an eye hook would be fine and it could be totally inconspicuous, maybe behind their box or something. If it's free standing in the room, I dunno, post a picture so we can get a feel for it.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

alucinor posted:

cords have a lovely soft-on-the-outside, crisp-on-the-inside texture

you just made me hungry...

Seriously though, hay is the best cure-all to chewing. I finally found a place where I can get bulk hay nearby which meanse 50lbs=50$! :D. Then I just cut a hole in the side, put litter boxes where they'd sit while eating (because why would you go poop, when there's hay RIGHT there) and no more hay feeder, they just get to eat all they want. I'll get a picture up tonight, it's adorable.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

girlscoutdropout posted:

No, if I'm continually petting them and talking to them they will cuddle right up to one another.

The holding down thing has been really helpful for ben nipping at annie. It's not malicious, but I know she doesn't like it. So each time he does it, or starts to, I just hold his head down and pet him, he's been doing it way less lately, and oddly becoming more affectionate too.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

first of all, that's adorable, 2ndly, apparently cats and bunnies generally get along fine. The rabbit may try and stake out another area as it's "alone time space" or it may not. My bunnies hardly use their cage anymore, they're only locked in there when the gf sleeps over (not common :( lol)

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Baitu posted:

I had them out together for 2 hours in the bathroom (very neutral since neither will set foot on the linoleum by choice) following today's dryer ride. Creme humped Mocha again (a couple of times she was humping his head!)

Be aware of head humping, if the humpee is unhappy it can be very dangerous as genitals can be bitten.

I'm in a bit of a pickle, to put it mildly. Somehow, Annie (I know it was her, she's the chewer) got behind the computer desk today. SOMEHOW, although as far as i can tell, it's literally impossible. She ate through my speaker cord, my webcam cord, my mic cord, my HQ gaming mouse cord and a miniusb cable. If I can't get these fixed, the speakers alone were 150$. I literally cannot afford this. I'm sad, but right now they're making me think if they're practical in life. I really don't want to give them up, but I spend hours and hours bunny proofing everything, and then they somehow get through steel bars anyways and cause hundreds of dollars in damage. Ben is still antisocial mostly, although I tell myself he's gotten better, Annie is a sweetheart, but when it comes down to it, I just dont have that cash to burn. Help me think of reasons to keep them, other than that I'd be a bad person. :(((((((((

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

its not that I don't like them, and it's not like these area's weren't bunny proofed. That's what gets me down. I have NO idea how she got in there, it literally doesn't seem possible, unless she jumped up 5 feet or through a 2 inch hole, which her shoulders and head are def wider than. I just feel rather helpless, I do all that I can, and somehow she gets past it. Maybe i'm just frustrated. I fixed the speaker cord, so thats so relieving. Dont worry, I love my bunnies, i'm just frustrated, but i wont do anything rash.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Heh, so I took a picture of my setup, and then realized that they'd chewed through the uploader cord.... So far Speakers are the only thing that's been fixable. I may take the mouse and webcam to a repair shop since they're worth it, the mic, well, it was a POS anyways, it's just annoying since I bought it last week because they'd chewed through my other two mic cords. (you'd think i'd learn, well I thought i did with this one) Buns and I have had some snuggle time, and we're all on good terms now. I need to figure out how to trim their nails tho, both refuse to be burrito'd and wont even get halfway into the trance position. They really like the floor and being rightside up. Half-tempted to go to the vet, but your story still scares me girlscout :(

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Baitu posted:

Mocha decided to jump on the couch for the first time last night, a place my husband and I had considered a safe refuge for the remote and other bunny-tasty items. He did a pretty good job on the "comfort grip" handle of a cat brush.

yeah my buns apparently started going higher up too, and well, now you have to really work at the remote buttons to work...

Cowslips, Ben and Annie are just like you describe too. Annie will be sprawled out totally relaxed, and Ben will want to come out and hang out too, but then something will make sometimes, (or sometimes it even wont) and he'll go zooming back under the bed and thump. Whats funny is Annie has learned she has a paranoid boyfriend, and just ignores him. I figure it has something to do with the accident he got in before I adopted him, but hey, gives him personality. Whats funny though is he will totally just sit and go "ok it's nail clipping time, just get it over with" where Annie panics like there's no tomorrow. Bunrito wrap, trancing, she knows whats coming and wants to get AWAY. Anyone have any good suggestions on how to make her more comfortable in my arms? I've heard of things like "pick her up, treat, put her down, treat, repeat" does that actually work?

Deceptor101 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 22, 2008

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

That sounds good, better that spoiling her with treats. I did it for about 10 minutes, good thing i was wearing a sweatshirt, as she really loves to nip when she wants to be on the floor. Hopefully I can get her comfortable enough that I can cut her nails soon, it's getting bad :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Baitu posted:

Yeah, leave the last sheet on the roll when you give it to them. Mocha loves destroying things, so it pleases him greatly to be able to rip it up.

I can't find the plastic baby keys anywhere. I know every baby in existence (at least in America) has them. Maybe I should dress up in black and raid the day care down the block. I've looked at the grocery store and at Target in the baby section.

I got mine at a nearby babys-R-US

So my girlfriend called me at work today, after she'd left the house "oh your rabbit is munching on one of those pepper packs from dominoes" Knowing how spicy they are, and that seeds in general are usually the more dangerous part to rabbits, I sped home, and researched it, and gave her tons of the best hay to help push it through. Am I overreacting? I mean those things are really spicy to me? Can rabbits taste spicy? will they eat it until their taste buds disappear? she wasn't eating them when I got home, and she seems fine. Should I worry? Should I go get her stomach pumped? Should I go back to work and just pretend she was eating cardboard?