Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Skizzles posted:

Cinnabun's follow-up went well. The vet felt around the wound and says it is still healing and coming together nicely, plus she's gained a few ounces of weight. She took a couple of pictures to put on Facebook and see if she could help me find a home for her, which was sweet. :) She's in love with Cinnabun and would take her if her husband would let her. :3:

Have yet another appointment on the 18th.

I can't believe anyone would abandon such an adorable sweet bun-bun! Can we trade? SAMe is a poopyhead little brat and wouldn't come over to me even if I sat on the floor for hours. She only pays attention to me when it's feeding or treat time.

One a different note, does anyone have any suggestions on bunny boarding/ flying with a bun? It appears that only continental lets rabbits fly in-cabin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Happy Holidays everyone!

I just wanted to share this goofy bun holiday picture, you can totally tell he's throwing the boots away from him in disgust :3:

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

What is this thing? I think I will chew on it.

Your chair? I think not.

okiecompy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 1, 2011

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Doc Faustus posted:

Every lionhead rabbit just looks like it's afflicted with some sort of madness. In a good way!

They do seem to have that crazy scientist bit down pretty well.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

ShadowCatboy posted:

This is the most stupidly adorable thing ever. I love how lionheads can look like they're a cross between a rabbit and a Scottish terrier. :3:

Terrier you say?

I love how it looks like her buddy is plotting to kill her in this one:

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Serella posted:

Can you explain this chin thing? I've never heard of it but it sounds ADORABLE.

Oh man, there are so many videos on youtube but this one was so ridiculous that I just had to share.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QsQ33dzB5o&feature=related

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

So my bun samE is extremely food aggressive. She's nice and a normal amount of brattiness the rest of the time, but when I reach in to give her hay she tries to box it out of my hands, and just now I was giving her a dried apple treat and when I didn't let go as she tugged on it, she boxed me again! She's an only bun right now, so it's not like she has to compete for food. Any suggestions on how to remedy this behavior?

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

alucinor posted:

Does she box you if you reach in without food? With say, litter, or an inedible toy?

You typically only see true food aggression in rabbits who have survived periods of neglect with malnutrition. In those cases it's a learned behavior which can be nearly eliminated just by giving them multiple food locations which are always kept full, so they never feel empty.

The behavior you describe is almost always really space aggression, which is a common instinctive behavior even in rabbits who haven't ever been neglected. It often shows mostly during feedings because when you reach in with food, the rabbit is more likely to come up to you, and then feel crowded and lash out because you had the nerve to invade her personal space. :rolleye:

If that's the case, the short answer is that rabbits are assholes and there's no way to change her. :)

It seems to happen much more often when she can smell some sort of food, otherwise she's usually totally happy being petted if I reach into the cage. I don't want to give her unlimited food (pellets), she has hay all the time, because she's a greedy-bun and she'd get fatty fat. She's got tons of hay but when I reach my hand in to give her new hay it's just like I'm too slow so she'd rather knock it out of my hands.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

DS at Night posted:

How about giving her a little handful of hay before refilling the rest of the hay? Or of course using a hay rack dispenser thingy that you can fill from the outside.

To be honest I think all rabbits are like this, at least the ones I know. There's one who'll insist on getting in the way of his food dish being filled and who I have to physically drag away from the dish in order to fill it, there's one who'll grunt and give you the death stare when you refill his hay even though he likes seeing you and eating hay, and there's one who'll bite the poo poo out of you so much when you feed her you just have to throw the pellets at her from a distance even though she loves us humans in general.

I just cried from laughing at the mental image of just throwing the pellets into the cage at a bun. Thank you so much for that!

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Foaming Chicken posted:

My bunny is fine

The vet didn't think he'd be able to get at the wound and gave him stitches. I thought it was within his mouth's range so she put him in a onesie.

I'm going to get some turtleneck onesies later today.

Careful he doesn't kill you in your sleep, he looks so upset about that getup!

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Does anyone else get as nervous about trimming nails as I do? SAMe has black nails and every time I have to trim them I'm super nervous about hitting her quick because I can't see it, even though I've never cut her before.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

OMgggggg that bunny chin. Wanna rub it! SAMe is the queen bee bunny and would box the crap out of my hand if i dared to insult her by putting my hand under her chin.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Papercraft bunnaaaaaaaaaaays!
Had to mod the pattern a bit for the lionhead one, I forgot her butt-skirt.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

gizmojumpjet posted:

I make more jokes about eating my rabbit than anyone I know does. I was really tempted to do so this weekend when he ate the cable for my wireless KB/mouse receiver. Then he wiggled his nose at me and I couldn't stay mad.

I'll be your best friend forevs if you'll post a link to the plans for the little blue one.

Link! http://www.e-maruman.co.jp/download/craft/rabbit_gray/index.html

There are 4 different colors on there, if you click the first link on the picture it downloads a PDF, the second link is the directions.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

You guys have to check out this vid of this doofy bun who keeps throwing herself on her back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wfJ1wwp8lQ&feature=colike

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Can you post a picture of him all shaved and doofy looking? Please!

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

I wanna squish that tummy! SAMe gave me a bit of a scare this weekend, on superbowl day she was laying down all funny and not reacting (not begging for treats) when I went near her condo, and when I opened it to let her out she ran off and flicked her feet at me but then immediately laid down again. I decided to try and entice her with some fatty-fat pellets which she loves so much but I give sparingly and she sniffed them but didn't bite and I knew something was wrong. I gave her some bell pepper to try and get water into her and just hoped, and around dinner time I heard her eating and after that she was fine. When she was still not feeling well I kept wishing I had some critical care or something, is there any way I can get some of it without a prescription from the vet?

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

NVM Found it.

[Edit] Purchased from Amazon. Just having it will help me feel so much better!

okiecompy fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 10, 2012

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

So I found some kay-tee bluegrass at the store and SAMe LOVES it, like she'll pick around her timothy hay just to get at it. I was thinking about growing some in a little garden box that I keep during the warmer months, and I was wondering does it need to be dried before I give it to her/if I give it to her fresh do I still need to give her dried hay? I was thinking yes because there must be something about the dried hay that provides a different dietary necessity.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Whenever I'm at anyone's place and I see something move in the corner of my eye I look for a bun, especially at my mom's house even though there haven't been any buns there for years.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Omg dewlaps are my favorite. I don't know why, I just love them on buns. Post adorable dewlaps itt! SAMe doesn't have one, I don't know if lionheads just don't really get them or what.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

She's almost the spitting image of my little doofus! This pic is from when she was really young. She's since lost most of the side/buttfluff other than her 'skirt'.

I trimmed Sam's buttfluff once with these conair pet clippers I picked up from Target and it worked okay. She looked ridiculous for sure. She doesn't currently get much carefresh stuck on her but occasionally she'll get mats that I brush out if I don't get all the pieces of hay out of her mane.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, I think Harriet enjoys playing hide and seek. See, it originally was that when I was trying to get her back in cage, I'd be chasing her from one hiding spot to anohter (under the blue chair, beind the couch, near the bookshelf, etc). I noticed that when she would run from one spot to another, she would randomly jump in the air, or other times, stop midway, make sure I was watching, jump in the air, and continue running. After about 2-3 spots, she'll stop and let me pet her for a couple minutes. My final hint was a couple days ago. Was so exhausted from a 15 hour shift that I lay down on the floor. She poked her head out from her hiding spot, and when it became clear that I wasn't chasing her, she hopped over, then charged me, headbutted my arm (softly), then ran away again.

Am I misreading her, or did I find a fun game to play with her?

Definitely sounds like a game to me! Sam's favorite game is 'make mom scream by running over and in between her feet and putting her off balance at all possible times'

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

So I've noticed lately that SAMe's litter gets like, soaking wet. I don't really know whats going on since she drinks probably the same amount of water, but I have started feeding her primarily fresh greens instead of pellets, but the wet litter started quite a while after the diet change. Currently I'm using carefresh and recently tried some other thing that I can't remember right now but both get soaked after about 2-3 days. Is this just a normal fresh greens issue and I have to change the box more or is there some better litter secret anyone knows of?

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

pseudonordic posted:

How often are you changing her litter? Cilantro gets three small plates of fresh greens a day (approx 1-1.5 cups total volume) and one bowl of water a day (about 2/3 cup). We change her Carefresh about every 3rd day.

When you change the box is it because it's totally soaked through, though? If so, then I will also start changing it that often, it just seemed a bit strange to me, and it wasn't always like that.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Okay, good to know! I'll just clean out her box more often. I also tried putting some stove pellets (which we use for cat litter) which I hope will help absorb along with the normal bun litter. Sam went crazy when I first put them in the box because she thought they were giant food pellets, what a brat!

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Does anyone else's bun act like they're starving all the time? I feed Sam plenty, probably even more than she really needs for her size, but every time I let her out she just climbs all over me begging for food or searches all corners of the room and under everything for food!

Yesterday when she was sitting on me while I was on the phone she groomed my shirt though and that made me feel like she at least kind of appreciates me!

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Noise Complaint posted:

I feel REALLY BAD for my downstairs neighbor. Every morning when it's breakfast time I'll walk over to the buns' bedroom and open the closet. As soon as they hear that noise it's like a switch goes off in their heads. They go from lounging to Bunny 500 mode instantly and jump in and out of the litter boxes, through the cardboard boxes, and the giant himself, Sputnik, sounds like a big dog bounding around.

You'd think the unlimited hay and the tons of fresh veggies from our CSA share would be enough. Nope, they go most crazy for the little bit of pellets.

AHAH, now that I think about it she does go so much crazier for pellets than hay or fresh greens. I got her from a pet store (bad I know!) and until I started reading this thread only fed her pellets from the pet store with all kind of stupid sugary treats, and I thought I was being good to her! Now I give her loads of hay at all times and big handfulls of veggies but whenever she hears that pellet container shaking she flips out. She'll even climb over the dog!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Speaking of rabbits being weird about some noises, SAMe doesn't give a poo poo about the vacuum. She'll come right up and sniff it and demand pets! The only thing she really hates is jingly key noises, she stomps like crazy if you're getting your keys out of the basket or shaking some change in your pocket.