Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME APOLOGIST HAS LOGGED ON
So, I'm planning on picking up a bunny tommorow, and I wanna get a lionhead/dwarf mixed breed named Harriet, but, I was just wondering, would her poofy fur be a bitch and a half to clean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

luscious posted:

Have you ever had a bunny before? Have you rabbit proofed your house and have an area that is safe and ready for her set up? Do you know of a rabbit friendly vet in your area? Do you understand the ridiculous financial, emotional, and frankly annoying needs of a bunny?

These might seem like obvious and maybe even kind of mean questions but rabbits are very, very, high maintenance pets and will not be happy if you just "go and pick one up".

In order of question.
1. Yes, one when I was a small child, and one when I was a youngish child (7) to late teens (18)
2. Yes. All cords are either safely tucked away, or are wrapped in thick tubbing. Cage is set up, complete with custom modifications to add a second floor, as well as untreated wood to chew on.
3. There is one down the street from me
4. Yup. Been planning this for months

I have been planning this for months, despite my flippantcy. I understand bunny needs, and I do wish to get one.

That being said, I meant the rabbit's fur itself. I want my bunny to be clean and happy.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Lagos posted:

Just saw your lionhead in the post your pet thread, bunnyofdoom. He looks like a lagomorphic Robert Smith. I approve.

She does. Problem is that, well, shavings and other litter cling to her like nothing else. Right now, her bedding is old t-shirts, and the litter box has an old towel in it, but I'm still trying to find alternatives

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

RICKON WALNUTSBANE posted:

Gonna quote the super cute picture

She's going to be a magnet for bedding/debris after a certain wool length no matter what. Is she young? I recall reading that lionheads outgrow their body fluff with only the mane remaining in adulthood. If so, that'll solve most of your problem.

I've found that the options for a full angora are to either trim the undercarriage very short or to just try to keep up by brushing the bun and regularly sweeping the floor. Gently running a slicker brush over her top and sides would take care of what's visible in the picture easily.

She;s 4 months old. I have carpet, so I can't brush whatever up, and I don't want to trim her fur in case I hurt her. I think I'll brush her while I have her on a towel or something, then shake the towel into the garbage.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Yeah, definately need to get new litter. Tried vacuuming up the shavings while she was out and about. She had a bunny panic attack :smith:. So, I ended up using a broom on the carpet.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
So, I think Harriet enjoys playing hide and seek. See, it originally was that when I was trying to get her back in cage, I'd be chasing her from one hiding spot to anohter (under the blue chair, beind the couch, near the bookshelf, etc). I noticed that when she would run from one spot to another, she would randomly jump in the air, or other times, stop midway, make sure I was watching, jump in the air, and continue running. After about 2-3 spots, she'll stop and let me pet her for a couple minutes. My final hint was a couple days ago. Was so exhausted from a 15 hour shift that I lay down on the floor. She poked her head out from her hiding spot, and when it became clear that I wasn't chasing her, she hopped over, then charged me, headbutted my arm (softly), then ran away again.

Am I misreading her, or did I find a fun game to play with her?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
So, for the next few days, my city is under a heat advisory because with humidity, it's gonna be 42-44C here (110f for you folks south of the border who don't use a sane measurement system). I'm kinda worried about Harriet, especially since she has alot of fur. Since I will be at work all day, I was thinking of making sure she has a second water bowl in her cage (she doesn't use her water bottle at all) as well as running my AC while I'm at work. Anything else?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
How can one small rabbit (She's at most 3lbs) create so much poop in 12 hours? Yesterday afternoon, I cleaned her cage out, vacuumed it, and the apartment, and after getting home from work, there's now like a veritable carpet of poop everywhere! Harriet, you are a poop machine!

Also, she is apparently a private detective now too.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

luscious posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of bunnydom

I don't remember my previous ones pooping this much!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
When should I get Harriet spayed? She's only 5 months old

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
So I went and spent my raise on getting a much bigger cage for Harriet (at least 4 times as big as the old one), and it came wtih a water bottle instead of a water dish, that I had been using previously. She doesn't seem to use the bottle at all. Is there anyway to convince her to use it? Like rub a berry on it or something so she licks it?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

PopeCrunch posted:

Yeah I've learned that if your rabbit will sit still long enough for you to take a picture of them, they are probably deciding whether they are about to cost you several hundred dollars at the vet's office in a couple days, or a thousand.

I've learned that it could be that, or that they're just pooping on your rug

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Harriet is the same. I have a chair covering a hole in my carpet and it's placed in such a way that the AC blows on it perfectly. So of course she climbs it and sits in there, mane flapping in the breeze like a lagomorph Edmund Hilary.

Then again she also scales the back of the couch and sits down next to my head when I'm watching tv. Maybe she just.likes heights. Or Archer.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

Harriet is the same. I have a chair covering a hole in my carpet and it's placed in such a way that the AC blows on it perfectly. So of course she climbs it and sits in there, mane flapping in the breeze like a lagomorph Edmund Hilary.

Then again she also scales the back of the couch and sits down next to my head when I'm watching tv. Maybe she just.likes heights. Or Archer.

Welp, I think she saw me making this post of the laptop, because she found a new way to the top of the couch. That was being me. Stupid bunny ran up my leg, chest and neck to the couch back. Thank god I trimmed her claws yesterday.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
....Things I have learned. If your bunny is determined enough, any and all manufactures claims are nothing but lies. Untippable water bowl? They'll flip the bitch! Chewproof toys? Destroyed! Clip to secured the literbox to the cage side? I don't even know how she broke it, but somehow, I woke up this morning to find a broken clip, and the literbox in the middle of the cage

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Question, would getting a leash/harness for Harriet so I can let her run around in a park be a good or bbad idea?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Harriet is a fast runner too. She tears around the entire apartment at fullspeed and does half a dozen circuits before stopping. Then again, she also is pure evil because she crawled onto my bed and pooped on my pillow today.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Female dwarf lionhead.mix who is six months old. Tomorrow morning is her first vet appointment

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
How much time should I take off work to have Harriet spayed? I assume day of surgery and day after but should I make it longer?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Harriet has in the past done such things to me as climb onto my bed and poop on my pillow, destroy any and all toys I give her, peed on my parents carpet, ran away just out of reach when I tried to pet her and then run back in range just to taunt me among alot of other things.

Tonight, I was sent home early from work because there was an accident involving a deep fryer, 350 degree oil, and my arm. I was lying on the couch, holding my arm and trying not to look at the second degree burn when Harriet came up, and prodded it with her nose. I of course let out a yelp of pain and she ran away.

A minute later she hopped back onto the couch, came up to me, licked my face, nuzzled me, and curled up on my chest. She's been lying there letting me pet her for 10 minutes now.

I'm very glad my bunny loves me.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Lobsterboy posted:

Shes totally fine with being a jerk until it actually hurts you. Rabbits... :allears:

And when I'm actually hurt, she tries to comfort me. :unsmith:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Few notes about Harriet.

First off, she really loves going for a run in my parents garden. It's really big and has lots of bunny friendly plants for her to play in/munch upon. We always keep an eye on her. Of course, she also tried to go for a swim in the pond, so, we may have to put a leash on her or something.

Secondly, I replaced all the litter with kitchen towels "borrowed" from work (I'm a sous-chef). It works out well cause it doesn't stick to her fur, I can quickly replace them and wash em, and she likes to make a bed out of one of them

Thirdly, the little demon peed in her waterbowl today! Stupid bunny!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
So, I was home sick from work last week with stomach flu, so Harriet got extra time out of the cage to run around. She decided to go exploring. Where did she explore? Underneath my bed. I found this out when I heard her scratching and such. She rarely scratches things unless she's upset, so I assumed she was trapped, and disassembled the bed to free her. Right when I had gotten to her, she dashed out from underneath it, never having been trapped at all, leading to me spending an hour reassembling my bed afterwards. Furthurmore, she explored the kitchen. When I was lying on the floor to see what she was up to, she ran over to me. Unfortuantly she started to slip on the tiles, and flailed around, and ended up kicking me in the forehead with her claws.

But in non-evil news, she really really likes brocolli.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
After a 16 hour shift on 1 hour sleep, I stumbled home bleary eyed Friday night. I let Harriet out for exercise and collapsed into bed. Two hours later I awoke to her nudging me. When seeing I was concious she put her front paws on my.nose, shoved her face in mine then ran away fot a game of hide and seek.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Harriet, if I use fruit based shampoo it means I ran out of mine, and had to borrow my roomates. It does not mean my hair is a special treat for you to snack upon when I'm lying on the couch.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Anybody else have a bun that's a curious mix of klutzy yet indestructible? Harriet has run into table legs, slid into the wall at high speech, and lept into a lamp and knocked it over, and has shown no sign of being hurt, only embarassment especially when I fuss and freak out

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
I bought Harriet from a pet store (humane society didn't have any) and it was a half dozen rabbits about 4 months old shoved in a window display way too small for them :smith:.

Fortunatly she shows no behaviour problems and has overcome her shyness to the point of jumping on the couch to smell my friends heads when she meets them.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
So to make a long story short, a former tenant in my apt sliced my.network cable with an exacto knife then burried it in the baseboard. I never knew this until Harriet dug up said cable and disconnected my internet. (Too straight and clean of a cut to be natural).

Now this leads to three theories on why she retrieved the cable. My friend assumes she was just being a standard silly bun and dug it up for bunny giggles. My Roomie thinks she's an evil bun who did it to disrupt my net so I'd spend more time worshipping her. Me? I think she realized the cable was an electrical fire time bomb and heroically risked electrocution to save me. What do you think?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
So I got diagnosed with skin cancer this week. I will need radiation treatment and possibly chemotherapy. How long should I avoid my bun after to keep her from getting sick after treatment?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Is Leo a single maned or double maned? Harriet is double maned, and her winter coat is growing in. My friends have now decided she's a tribble. I hope she lives as long and Leo has, and continues. That's really good.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Harriet is seriously growing her winter coat. If you look closely you'll notice there is a head with ears in that pile of fur

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

luscious posted:

Should I worry about fly strike in Canada? Ontario to be exact. I've never heard of it. We're always inside and all the windows have screens on them...

Same deal. Please respond!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Me too on the towel thing. It used to stick to Harriet's fur, and she'd track litter all over the apt. Now, she stays clean. I also clean the pan with a little vinegar in water every couple changes to keep it from smelling too much.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Just a note. Since my diagnosis there seems to be a detene between Harriet and my bun hating roomie. Caught her feeding Harriet carrot peels and bananas earlier

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

bitprophet posted:

Depending on the volume of said carrots and bananas, maybe she still does hate your bun :(

It was a small amount. About 4 peels and a sliver of banana.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

niethan posted:

I swear they play dead to gently caress with me

My bun does that too. She also likes to pose for my camera only to run away right before I take the photo

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Harriet doesn't seem to eat her hay anymore. I want to give her enough food but i don't want to overfeed her on pellets. is there anything I can do to get her to eat more hay?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Dr. Chaco posted:

Has she been seen by a vet since she stopped eating hay? Sometimes that is a sign of tooth problems, making it difficult for them to chew.

She still chews. That's the thing. It's just the hay.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Kerfuffle posted:

Haha this and the "because it is a rabbit" chart are the best Rabbit Ownership images.

What chart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Oh Harriet. Spreading the tops of Brocolli around the carpet isn't going to make it grow into a patch. I assume that's why she only atre tgr stems and spred the flowers all over the apartment. She used to eat it all