Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001
My girlfriend and I recently bought a mini lop. Tomorrow we are taking him into the vet to get him fixed. So far he's been great on not chewing on cords or anything you generally wouldn't want him to chew on. Except carpet. Can anyone give me advice on how to get him to stop eating the carpet?
Also, we really want him to be able to free to roam whenever he wants. Should rabbits be free to roam at night when not supervised, or only when we're around the house?
I've read through this thread, and it's been tremendously helpful. We give our bunny lots of love and try to take care of him the best we can, but we (I) would love to see some of you bunny veterans write up a faq or tips to taking care of a bunny that new owners like myself wouldn't know.

Anyway, this is Severus!

Chiken n' Waffles fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 21, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001

girlscoutdropout posted:

I'm so glad you're getting him fixed, it makes living with a bunny so much more pleasant in my opinion.
Congrats!

So I took Severus into the Vet today and after surgery I got a call and the Dr. said that he went in and couldn't find anything. Severus is supposed to be about 6 mo.s old, so, as I haven't talked to the Dr. yet I'm tripping out. Maybe he's too small or hasn't grown enough? I don't know, but I'm really worried. They did say over the phone that they aren't sure if it's a boy or a girl either, so I don't know what is up. But I love my rabbit so much I don't want him to be internally mangled, which is what I'm worried about, since we got him from a shelter to save him. :(

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001
My bunny likes to sleep in his first litter box so I bought him a second and put it where he's stacking up his poo's. Should I put some poos and pee'd on chips in the 2nd box to let him know that's where he's supposed to do his business?

-Also, is there a certain place buns should be petted? My bun comes over to me and lets me stroke him for awhile but I'm not sure if there is any special place buns like?

Chiken n' Waffles fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 13, 2007

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001
Severus ended up having some health issues that he had to deal with before he could get properly fixed, but now that he's dealt with that, we took him in to get fixed. He is now home from his opperation. The dr. said to keep him in his small baby cage for about a week to make sure he doesn't jump around and pull his stitches out. (Something that happened earlier.) He hates being in such a small cage, and I really feel for him, but my Vet is pretty good with bunnies so I trust him.

However I built him a new cage with the tools suggested in this thread. Total about, I dunno, $50! The cubes are on sale this week at Target (at least mine) for $12 instead of 14.99. I got rubber made tubs for his litter boxes because they were 1.39 at the grocery store compared to the 10.99 ones at pet store. I have created a palace of Luxury!

Yes those are my favorite pair of grey Dickies. Sev really enjoys clawing and digging in those so I finally caved in and gave them to him. That's a dog bed in there in on the top level. It's something that Severus enjoys spending his time in, digging and and chomping at it.

On the bottom floor I used two cubicle plates in the middle left and right position to create four rooms on the bottom floor. This gives the top floor a lot more stability without adding any support beams. In the back corner that you can't see in the picture is a small card board box that lets Sev hide out if he wants to be alone. It fits right under the step that I have zip tied in on 3 sides so he can get up to the 2nd level easier. I also have a hand towel on that step for him to claw and dig on. It's paradise.

Severus says hello!

Chiken n' Waffles fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 26, 2007

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001
I've been feeding Sev Crasins for snacks when he deserves them. But he REALLY likes wheat thins. He got one on the floor the other day and now tries to get them at all cost! It's very cute, but are they OK for him to have on a very limited basis? What about other things for snacks? I feed Sev LOTS of veggies since I have this veggie grow center thing in my house and that gives me a good supply. But I'm not sure what I can and can't give him for a treat.

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001
I was doing some homework tonight when I looked over and saw my bun in lounge mode against the wall. He was al spread out just kind of puckered out from running around. However, I noticed that even when he is resting, his heart rate sames to be really high. He kind of shakes when he's laying here. I mean not like seizure shake, but kind of shake. Is it normal for their heart rate to be up like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001
How in the name of God do you people not have rabbits that eat your carpet floor? My Bunny has started doing this and it's driving me crazy. He has access to food, he knows where his litter box is, he has toys, but no, he runs to the corner of the living room and shreds the poo poo out of the carpet. He never did this before! I used to be able to let him wander around all day but now I can't since I came home from work and saw carpet shreds ALL over the place. :( halp.