Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOOM Rabbit
Jan 10, 2003

THIS IS JUST TOO MUCH TO RESIST!
I HAVE HEAD EXPLODY!!
Yay for bunny thread!

I'm such slave to the cuteness, that recently I got a tattoo of my rabbit, Moblin.
tattoo: http://www.unc.edu/~halley/0806072150.jpg
Bunny from which tattoo is drawn:

Moblin and the rabbit I got for her, Benny. They were cool with each other from the get go and only took a day or two to get that whole "who's in charge" thing straightened out. Benny is definitely Moblin's rabbit.
(sorry picture is from behind cage-bars)
http://www.unc.edu/~halley/mobbenplate4.jpg

They're spoiled rotten and currently pissed at me for moving them from my mom's house (where me and the bunnies stay over the summer) back to my apartment where there are no dogs or cats to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOM Rabbit
Jan 10, 2003

I HAVE HEAD EXPLODY!!

angelicism posted:

So...... my bunny doesn't trance. I've tried about half a dozen times and every time she gets very upset and that makes me upset and makes me stop trying. :(

Therefore. How do I cut her nails short of having someone hold her down? I did that once, the first time, and she fled when I was done and I felt like the worst person in the world.

Have you tried trancing with a helper? I just did Moblin's nails this afternoon and It took a few tries for her to trance. She seemed very upset after the first two tries but not making any angry bunny noises. It helped to have my roommate petting her nose while I leaned her over and slowly set her into position. She calmed right down and I was able to do her nails without any problem as long as my roommate kept petting her nose. Next I have to do Benny but I have to figure out how to trance him before he bites me. He does not approve of being picked up at ALL.

DOOM Rabbit
Jan 10, 2003

I HAVE HEAD EXPLODY!!
I don't keep track of exactly how much I spend on the bunnies per month but I doubt it's more than 30 dollars. I do tend to buy them a lot of hay, though, so it may be more than that.

I'm actually a bit allergic to bunnies but I do ok with allergy meds so I think it just depends on how allergic you are to them. I don't have much of a problem with it.

The only time I've ever noticed a smell is when I delayed in changing the litter box. They're generally very nice smelling animals, I think.

DOOM Rabbit
Jan 10, 2003

I HAVE HEAD EXPLODY!!

alucinor posted:

informative stuff

Have I mentioned that alucinor is awesome? I got my rescue bunny from her and she's just amazing.

angelicism posted:

So I was ripped off if I paid like $500 for checkup, bloodwork, and spaying?

I'm a little annoyed by that, but I really like the vet that I took my bunny to -- she seemed very friendly and knowledgeable. Also I'm in NYC so everything rips me off. Or was I just a sucker?

I paid about $300 to get Moblin spayed in Raleigh, NC. I'd say $500 for everything isn't too bad since a checkup usually runs me $50 and blood work upwards of $100 depending on what gets checked. All that stuff added together reaches almost $500.

DOOM Rabbit fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 6, 2007

DOOM Rabbit
Jan 10, 2003

I HAVE HEAD EXPLODY!!

Deceptor101 posted:

I take it this is other attention than a vigorous petting of the head area? Other times I'll just playfully chase Annie around the living room, I can tell it's playing because she'll do a happy dance while running away. One thing I've noticed Annie likes (as odd as it is) is she loves to play in my hanging shorts whilst I'm putting them on, so I dunno maybe dangling some large fabric type thing over Bitsy while she dances around in it, kinda like a cat and string. Maybe my bun is just weird though =P

It's good to know my rabbit isn't the only one that follows things around like a cat. She used to run in circles around this monkey toy I gave her. I need to wash her monkey. She also used to follow a laser pointer around but got bored with it pretty quickly when she discovered she couldn't chew on the little red dot.

DOOM Rabbit
Jan 10, 2003

I HAVE HEAD EXPLODY!!

Deceptor101 posted:

amagad, buns are snuggling on their own now! I looove having two buns and I'm so happy it's going this well!

They're even forming a heart! I didn't even put em in this position, they just wanted to snuggle.
ground view:

one thing I've noticed is that Ben doesn't seem to close his eyes during bliss as much as Annie does. Gosh I love buns

My two do the heart thing as well. I can never remember to grab a camera to capture it.

My second rabbit (also named Ben) doesn't close his eyes, either. I've had him since January and my thought was that he's just more skittish so he's less comfortable closing his eyes. Moblin, however, has been living with me since she was a tiny bun and is just super laid-back. Earlier today Ben heard a thumping beat coming from the other room and got very upset and started thumping back at it.

Does anyone else know if the lack of eye closing is related to environment comfort level or if it's just a bunny personality thing?

DOOM Rabbit
Jan 10, 2003

I HAVE HEAD EXPLODY!!

Queen of Roses posted:

(Bunny stuff)

Hello fellow carrboro bunny fanatic. I got my second rabbit through alucinor so I don't know which area rescues are good, but if you need any cage building help, I've got it down to a science. You can pm me here or email me at bunnii@gmail.com

alucinor posted:

Here is my list of recommended vets. Actually I need to take Dr Ward off that list, he's retired. Frankly you should go to A&E regardless of cost and distance. I think they are moved/are moving into Briar Creek just off 540, so that should be pretty convenient from almost anywhere. They are the people I took my personal pets to as well as the most difficult rescue cases. They cost more but they are absolutely worth it.

I recently got a letter from Avian and Exotic about their moving. I need to take my buns in for vet appointments in November so I've gotta give them a call. Since I got the moving letter, I assume they've already moved.

DOOM Rabbit fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 26, 2007

DOOM Rabbit
Jan 10, 2003

I HAVE HEAD EXPLODY!!
Gah, double post. Sorry

DOOM Rabbit
Jan 10, 2003

I HAVE HEAD EXPLODY!!

alucinor posted:

Both for you and DOOM Rabbit, if you shop at Phydeaux and need any special attention, talk to the highly-pierced guy named Mo. He was one of my foster parents (and adopted two of my piggies!) and has helped several people with their bunnies.

One of my friends works there. I'll ask her who he is next time I'm in there. I don't remember if I've seen highly-pierced guy before. I'm also horribly unobservant.

On a different note, my formerly litter-box trained rabbits have apparently decided they prefer peeing NEXT to the boxes. They do fine when they're at my mom's house, but when they're home, it's different. I bring the boxes with me so it's not like they have different ones in each place. I can't figure out why they keep doing that. They don't pee anywhere else but in and NEXT TO the boxes and then it leaks out the corner of the coroplast and it's a major pain in the rear end.

I'm about ready to buy another coroplast sheet for the bottom and calk the corners to keep it at least in the cage.

DOOM Rabbit
Jan 10, 2003

I HAVE HEAD EXPLODY!!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

So I have a question for all you bunny peoples. What is the best floor material for a bunny's pen? I'm going to expand our bunny's area and this means we have to get new flooring.

I've used the coroplast recommended by most people for 2 years now and I'm dissatisfied with it. My second rabbit has issues with peeing over the side of the box and the corners leak if you don't seal them, some rabbits will eat the caulking and it's difficult. If they have no problem using a box, coroplast is cheap and awesome but it didn't work for me.

My latest cage venture involved going to target and getting a large plastic under-bed storage container. I used the bottom of it for the cage and use the top as a gate to keep them out of bunny-danger areas. It's easy to clean because there are no sharp corners and it's a pretty good size for my two. I would recommend using something like that.

DOOM Rabbit
Jan 10, 2003

I HAVE HEAD EXPLODY!!

alucinor posted:

:raise:

How big is it? I've never seen one of those larger than 18"x40".

Gigantic? It's a little smaller than the coroplast I was using but I've got a bi-level cage going on now so they have more room (I probably should have mentioned that part)

DOOM Rabbit
Jan 10, 2003

I HAVE HEAD EXPLODY!!

alucinor posted:

Cool! I need to find me some of those, they make good hospital cages for piggies: someone once donated a 3'x4' (loving $190) wreath box that I use, but I haven't been able to find them again except for special order from Skymall (Hammacher Schlemmer).

The ones from walmart aren't as good because they have ridges on the bottom but bed bath and beyond has some really big ones.

DOOM Rabbit
Jan 10, 2003

I HAVE HEAD EXPLODY!!

ShadowCatboy posted:

Wait, solid plastic? How is this set up?

Bunnies need a lot of air circulation, so I'm wondering how you handle the solid plastic walls. Open top? And if so what do you put over it to keep the little guys from hopping out?

The underbed storage containers are only about 6-10 inches tall on the sides. The bunnies have a little step stool to help them hop in and out until i get the tools to trim the door side a little bit. I use shelving squares wired and zip tied together for the walls. So only the bottom is solid plastic.

If you'd like, I'll take a picture of it (though it will be a camera phone, my regular camera died).

DOOM Rabbit
Jan 10, 2003

I HAVE HEAD EXPLODY!!

girlscoutdropout posted:

It's really best to use a bottle and bowl, or just a bowl so they can dip their paws in and wash their face. It keeps them clean (especially if they live alone) and It's so darn adorable.

My rabbits don't like bowls. Or rather one rabbit likes themm too much and throws the bowl of water around so the other oone who would otherwise actually drink from the bowl can't get any water as it's all over the floor. If the bowl is too heavy for her to throw, she throws crap in it (including pellets) and it gets all mushy and gross.

Thankfully she taught him how to use the water bottle. She's a pain in the rear end. It's a good thing she's cute.

I will need to remember that frozen water bottle thing. I think I'll also be getting them a little garden stone. I think they'd like that.

DOOM Rabbit
Jan 10, 2003

I HAVE HEAD EXPLODY!!

Baitu posted:

Mine wont use a bottle. They get some hay in their bowl at times, but we empty it out and refill it several times a day. Our cats like the bunnies bowl better than theirs, and meow at me until I open the rabbit cage in the morning. Bunny spit must add a special something.

Really? I've never seen either of mine drink from the bowl. It's more like a splashy mess-making tool for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOM Rabbit
Jan 10, 2003

I HAVE HEAD EXPLODY!!

Deceptor101 posted:

Ok so with the bunny hair, and the hay box in the room, vacuuming isn't really cutting it anymore, and I'm wondering if any of you have an air purifier? I hear that a good one can be great for getting dust out of the air and I'm thinking about getting one. Any recommendations?

I have a cheap walmart one. Most of the fur just sticks to the front of it but then you can wipe the fur off the front and it's that much more fur that's not in the air, carpet, etc. I'd like to know if one of those ionic breeze things work...I always wanted one of those.