Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrivesLikeAGirl
Aug 10, 2004

by Ozma
House rabbits need more props so I welcome this thread!

Some links for those wanting to learn more about house rabbits:

http://www.rabbit.org/ House Rabbit Society

Many rabbits are abandoned as they get older. Baby bunnies are irresistable, but anyone interested in getting a first rabbit should really consider going through a rabbit rescue to get an adult one. They can really help you as you get to know rabbits (there's more to learn than you think!) and you will know the temperament because the bun is already grown. Often the rescue bonds the rabbit with a "hus-bunn" before the adoption, saving you the trouble of the sometimes-difficult bonding process. Also, spay/neuter is done for you.

Listings of rabbit rescues across the country:
http://rabbit.org/adoption/index.html

My state of Colorado's adoption website: http://www.coloradohrs.com/ If you love bunny pics, check out the adoption pages.

If there are no rescues near you, your local animal shelter likely takes in bunnies too. Check them out!

Everyone's already seen my buns, so I won't post any more pics than this one:

Girlscout, PM me if you need some bonding help. I had a "rabbit whisperer" from out of state help me with my first pair bonding years ago, and some of her techniques were really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrivesLikeAGirl
Aug 10, 2004

by Ozma

MDR posted:

I've never really seen a Rabbit up close, what are their attitudes/personality like? Seems like it would be awesome to have a rabbit companion.

MDR, I find their personalities more entertaining than cats. Many buns don't like to be held/picked up. This makes sense - prey animals don't like to feel like they're being carried off by a hawk! ;) But the love to play with you (some bunnies fetch; I had a bunny that would sit up and beg for food like a dog, and stay in "beg" position until fed). They love to be petted. Many buns prefer to sit beside you rather than in your lap. Some buns love to be held though; Bun-G used to ride on my shoulder when I drove around in the car after coming back from vet appointments or a trip.

I got a kitten and it grew up to be a "dud". Not affectionate and hides almost all of the time, despite me being ridiculously nice to the thing. So I'd compare rabbits to cats in that they are all cute and cuddly as babies, but grow up with different personalities. That's why I recommend rescuing an adult rabbit from a rescue.

I like dogs the best, but rabbits are almost as awesome as pets. Like with any "exotics" (ferrets, rats, etc) the more regularly you interact with them, the better pets they are.

DrivesLikeAGirl
Aug 10, 2004

by Ozma
I was in Petco the other day (in Aurora, Colorado) and they had two adolescent rabbits for sale for $99 each (already neutered).

Made me so sad. :( There is a very active rabbit rescue in the Denver area and they could have easily had rabbits for adoption, and still made a profit selling the bunny accessories for them.

Also, the two rabbits are probably bonded now (who knows how long they've been there?) and will now be split up.