Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Suzi Squirrel posted:

These bunnies are far too cute! I want to reach into the picture and cuddle them! Before I gush too much and start sounding like some crazy rabbit lady, here's Flopsy:

Your bunny and mine have the same name! Except his is technically Sir Robert Flopsalot the third, Flopsy for short (we knighted him with a pen).

He's about 4 months old and has a trip to the vet scheduled on Tuesday to get neutered. He's started nipping at me -- rather, not at me, but at clothes that happen to be on me, as well as blankets, pillows, sheets, clothes lying around and any other cloth materials within reach. (And yet somehow ignores the 'flavored' sticks I bought him and leave in his cage.) Is this normal puberty aggressive behavior that I can hope will go away when he gets neutered? Rabbit.org says no punishment, just positive reinforcement, but I kind of jump every time he bites me; and then he gets startled, but it hurts!

How long did it take to litter train a bunny? I've been trying for a few weeks now but it's sometimes hard to tell when he's peeing. He'll sometimes back into a corner and just sit there and when I peek under his butt, no pee. And the one time I think he's just sitting in a corner, he moves away and look, puddle. :sigh:

Also bunny needs a bigger cage, but that will have to wait a month until I move into my new apartment. How long does it take for them to get used to a new home? I imagine new apartment + new cage will be a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

I must make one of those multi-level cages. They look so cool.

So apparently what I thought was a he-bunny is apparently a she-bunny. I might have to rename her. Am contemplating 'Hyzenthlay' (Watership Down, anyone).

I'm a bit perplexed by people's pictures and descriptions of litter boxes. Hay goes in the litter box? I thought hay was for eating? I have a little wire ball that hangs from the top of the cage that I stuff with hay so it doesn't get mushed up with the fruit in the bowl. I have some sort of bedding currently all over the floor of the cage, but I'm getting the impression the floor of the cage can just be the plastic bottom?

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

alucinor posted:

Regarding the hay, rabbits also tend to pee and poop while they are eating, so you can help with training by placing the hay inside the litterbox, or in a rack hanging over the litterbox. You do need to take out the soiled hay and replace it with fresh a couple times a day. Rabbits will eat as much hay as they can, so many people find those little wire balls too small. I personally like to use converted kitchen storage items as hay mangers. They're large enough to hold a whole day's worth of hay for only about $3 each.

So far she hasn't gotten through more than half the ball of hay in a day but if I start seeing it close to empty when I come home from work I'll figure something out.

If they pee/poop while they eat, should her food bowls also be near the litter? I'm starting to imagine a very crowded area around the litter. :)

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

candeh posted:

Have you tried trancing them? Nothing else works with my buns. Also, everything alucinor said was great stuff.

How do you do this? The last (and first) time I cut my bunny's nails it was an ordeal with me holding her as still as possible and my friend carefully cutting and holding the paw steady. After every paw we let her up and after every two paws she got a treat. x.x

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

girlscoutdropout posted:

Absolutely. Two bunnies are so much happier than one. I'm in the middle of bonding mine. Although a fight broke out, so I'll have to put that on hiatus for 2 weeks because bunnies hold grudges.

Bunnies hold grudges like crazy. Mine wouldn't associate with me for a day and a half when I tried to put her in a carry case a bit too small for her.

girlscoutdropout posted:

There is something ridiculously cute about that. I'll try that when I get home, thanks!

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

girlscoutdropout posted:

Oh, I will say one more thing about the trance. If his back feet start shaking lift his head up to put him in more of a curved position. Bunnies naturally walk, sit, etc. with a curved posture and I guess the laying flat kind of freaks them out.

I tried this last night and I couldn't get her to stay and after a few tries she was getting cranky at me so I stopped. Shall try again tonight keeping this in mind, but I feel like she really hates it. :(

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

girlscoutdropout posted:

Honestly, I don't know why you're not suppose to feed the yogurt treats. I've just been told not to. It can't be good for them because it's all artificial flavors and refined sugars. Definitely not something they would find in a natural habitat. I'm going to look further into that and try to find the real reason. I'm glad you like it!

This is sad because my bun adores them and I've been spoiling her a bit with them. :( I'll have to find new treats to bribe her with.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

So after looking at all your pictures of your rabbits (in their homes), I'm a bit confused. I have this bedding stuff that I put all over the floor of the cage, and I'm going to pick up a couple corner litter boxes this week (that's what the pet store owner called them -- they're little because my bunny's little). What goes in the litter box, the bedding? And more bedding on the floor of the cage? Or nothing? Because if it's nothing the plastic floor is slippery and she's not happy with sliding all over the place. If it's bedding what's to make her think litter box = peeing instead of bedding = peeing?

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Oh; I was told that since my bunny is a dwarf rabbit she's not going to get much bigger. Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure I haven't seen a litter box she can actually get into because usually the walls are too high.

I don't have any carpet scraps lying around at the moment; will newspaper be okay for the floor for now?

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

girlscoutdropout posted:

Like Windy said, a ferret litter box that's square with a lowered side should work well. I've never used Feline Pine, but I don't have any smell problems with Yesterday's News (as long as I change the litter box every other day) so I guess I'll just stick with that. Either is fine though.

Newspaper will be fine, but I can almost guarantee it will be shredded by morning.

Dwarf rabbits can get pretty big! I've also heard of pet stores (not sure if that's where you got him/her) of mis-labeling rabbits as "dwarf" just because they're young and small. I know that's how some of the bunnies came about at the rescue I help with. People expect these little bunnies to stay 4 lbs and then they hit 7-8lbs and they don't want them anymore. Not saying this is the case with you, but just something to think about. Also, some bunnies are mixed breeds and you never know how big they'll get.

I'm sure I'll adore my bunny regardless of what size she is. :) She already has me wrapped around her little... er... toe.

Is it okay if there's shredded newspaper? Should I just leave the 'bedding' stuff I've been using? I'm afraid that will encourage her to pee/poop everywhere, though.

I think I'll get the corner litter box for now since she is still little and if/when she gets bigger, get a box. Where are you people seeing these ferret boxes with the lowered side? My local pet store didn't seem to have anything like that.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

alucinor posted:

Just use a standard cat litterbox, or get a rubbermaid container and cut down the sides like so:

You'd be surprised how high they can jump. One of my sanctuary dwarfs has no problem leaping 18" onto the shelf in her pen.

Also, this picture gives you a good idea what a fully appointed cage should look like: no bedding at all on the floor, and bedding + hay in the litterboxes:

Everything is clear now. :)

I was going to do some shopping today. Going to get a corner box and a bigger box for her to 'learn' into. And a sheaf of newspapers or somesuch.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

So I got a small corner litter for now and... uh, my bunny is just chilling in her toilet. I guess she doesn't dislike it, at least. We'll see if she manages to actually use it as a bathroom.

On another note: sometimes she just sits there and, for lack of a better word, trembles for like 5 minutes at a time. I don't think I'm doing anything threatening - usually just watching her - and it's not too cold or anything. Could she be sick? I thought I heard a sneeze once too but I might have just been hallucinating. Or maybe she just hates me and wants me to go away. :(

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Elevenbane posted:

When the rabbit is sitting there trembling, does he look content? Eyes part closed? Can you hear a chittering motion, or does it look like the mouth is moving?

Rabbits do purr. But instead of like the purring of cats, it's a grinding of the teeth called toothpurring. When I had a pet bunny she would toothpurr being held on our laps and petted, or sitting on my Dad's shoulder. (She loved climbing up behind my Dads head and sitting on his shoulders. He'd even use her as a fuzzy pillow and she'd be perfectly content to sit up there for hours if he let her.

Not really; I think I'm just going to have to settle for 'she's scared'. She just moved (to my new apartment) so the new surroundings and new people must still be at best uncomfortable and at worst terrifying. Whenever I come play with her she does like bouncing in and out of my lap, though, which is adorable. :)

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Elevenbane posted:

Yeah, that's understandable. When I first got my rabbit she'd hop around the house really nervously, hiding under a chair before hopping out and exploring a few steps before running back to the 'safe spot'.

Good luck getting her acclimated! Maybe you can salvage something from the old apartment to make her more comfortable. Fabric or something with her scent on it.

Well I brought over her toys (a rattling ball she doesn't like, and a fuzzy ball-esque thing) and she nibbles on the ball on occasion, but there isn't much else 'familiar' I can give her. I mean, besides my clothes, which she chews on. Hence the jumping in and out of my lap. :) I'm not sure I'm at the point where I want to sacrifice a shirt to toss into her cage for her to play with but if she's really unhappy I might be inclined to. Although she likes pants better and a pair of my jeans aren't fitting in her cage.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

So...... my bunny doesn't trance. I've tried about half a dozen times and every time she gets very upset and that makes me upset and makes me stop trying. :(

Therefore. How do I cut her nails short of having someone hold her down? I did that once, the first time, and she fled when I was done and I felt like the worst person in the world.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

I'm just posting to gloat about how adorable my bunny is. She seems to like having her nose stroked, and also equates my hand with treats, so she's taken to nudging her head up against my hand whenever i'm sitting and it's within reach.

I was going to die from over-cuteness. :)

Except now she's chewing on my stuffed animals. :/ Win some, lose some, I suppose.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

alucinor posted:

Spaying her will run around $200, most likely. IF you are lucky, you might find a place that does it for $75, but that's uncommon. I pay nearly $200 and that's WITH a rescue discount. Where are you located? I can find you the local HRS branch and you can contact them and see if they have a low-cost S/N program. They might also be able to send a mentor to visit you and to give you some one-on-one coaching and advice.

So I was ripped off if I paid like $500 for checkup, bloodwork, and spaying?

I'm a little annoyed by that, but I really like the vet that I took my bunny to -- she seemed very friendly and knowledgeable. Also I'm in NYC so everything rips me off. Or was I just a sucker?

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Litter training is so frustrating. :(

She definitely goes just in the litter box in her cage but when she's romping around my room there's so much soft litter-like stuff lying around (I'm a slob, I have piles of clothes everywhere -- I wouldn't mind her playing on them if I wasn't afraid every moment she'd pee on them) and between that and my bed which she can totally jump onto (it's just mats on the floor) I'm constantly on the lookout for peeing behavior. Of course she'll pee the one moment I'm turned around to look at something else or answer the phone or answer an IM.

She's made her 4th and final move since I got her, so I'm giving her time to settle before pressing the litter box issue (plus I need to clean my room) but she seems totally comfortable with her new surroundings (my room). She romps and loves to be cuddled, so she seems like a well-adjusted bun. :)

If only she'd stop peeing on my bed. :/

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Windy posted:

Tell me about it. Murphy took a few months to train! Debbie appeared trained when I got her - she just knew to use the litterbox for all of her elimination needs. However, there were a few occasions when I had her on my lap or up on the bed where she piddled on me and the bed as well. Depending on the amount of space in your room, you may want to limit her running area with an Xpen or make a pen from those grid cube shelves. Just give her enough room outside the cage to play in with a few toys and an additional litterbox. Increase the area a little each week and watch how she is acting with her potty habits. May or may not work, but it's worth a shot and will keep your bed dry for a while at least.

My room is, like, 100 square feet at the absolute most. She seems to love flying leaps across the room so I'd feel terrible about limiting her space smaller than this room. Also she's in her cage most of the day while I'm at work so she really only gets 3-5 hours of runaround time a day in the whole room.

I may consider creating a pen for her to stay in all day, though, and then let her out of the pen when I get home.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

So I've cleaned the clothes off my floor but it's impossible to not have pee-on-able things on my floor because I sleep on the floor. Er. I sleep sort of Korean-style, with blankets and mats straight on the floor, not on a mattress. Very comfy, incidentally.

I'm just keeping a very very close eye on my bun when she's running around, and I think she mostly gets the concept of the litter box; she wandered out the door to the living room (you think you've closed the door and you blink and the next second a fat bunny has smushed through the crack :sigh: -- I was too impressed to be mad) and she pooped and scampered right back to her litter box, I assume to finish her business.

As for where to pet bunnies: mine loves to have her nose stroked. I feel like I've read that's not normal, but she headbutts me until I start stroking her nose, so, uh. Yeah. It's so cute. :)

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Is there something I can spray on the bars of a cage to make my bunny stop chewing on them? I'm worried because I just noticed the white paint on the bars are chewed off in some places.

She has hay, she has a chewing stick, she has food, she has fruit and veggies, but she likes to chew on things she shouldn't. :( I'm mostly afraid she's ingested the paint and it might make her sick.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

My bunny is not even sort of interested in toys. She has a plushie cube that she just moves out of her way in the cage, and one of those balls with a bell in it that she ignores completely unless it's in her wave. She completely bypasses the cardboard boxes littering my room and instead opts to chew on the cage bars when she's inside (and sometimes when the cage door is open -- she'll sit just inside the door and chew on the side of the door) and on my blanket/clothes when she's outside.

I need to pop by the pet store in a couple days anyway since I'm getting low on hay/food/litter so I'll see what else I can pick up that would remotely amuse her. Plastic bird toys? What are those?

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

I feel terribly because I haven't been able to a) set up a bigger living area for my bunny yet (living issues; I was supposed to get a loft built in my room and it's hard getting it organized/done), b) letting her have more play time. Work has made me exhausted so I usually come home, let her out for an hour or so, and then meander my way to passing out. I assume this is nowhere near enough playtime, since she's still in a cage most of the day.

A 'playpen' area doesn't look like it's going to happen for at least a few weeks, because it has to be made post-loft (not enough room on the floor right now), and I'm too exhausted to watch her for more than an hour or two because she still hasn't gotten the hang of being litter trained. And she always pees the 2 seconds I'm not looking. :/ I figure part of it is she definitely still associates her cage as being caged, and I'll have better luck when I build her a pen area.

Is she going to get depressed in this period? This lack of time thing has been for the last week or two and I remember reading that bunnies get depressed easily, which scares me. Also, she still doesn't like any toys I've got her -- I got some of those bird toys to dangle from the ceiling of the cage for her to chew on if she likes -- so she's clearly bored all day too. I can't get her interested in anything but chewing on my pants. While they're on me. Which is really cute but shouldn't be encouraged.

Loft --> bunny pen --> litter training --> bunny friend. I hope this happens in the next some weeks.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Deceptor101 posted:

When she's running around in the room, has she come out of her cage on her own? Or do you take her out. I noticed this had a huge effect on Annie and her peeing places she shouldn't. In her old cage I had to take her out of it, so she couldn't enter and exit freely, so her mind treated wherever she was as a "new home" and she was forced to find/make a new litterbox wherever she was. Ever since she's done all the exploring and mapped out the routes in her head, she's never done anything outside of the cage.

As far as the bored/depressed thing, I had Annie in a lovely little cage (wish I'd known better before spending 70$ on it) for at least 2 months, and her only out time was in the yard or in my lap. I could tell she was a little depressed, but my situation didn't allow me to do anything else. Once I finished the cube cage she seemed to just bound back immediately and she was so much friendlier and happier. If your time frame isn't too long,I'd say just do the best you can for now, and she should be alright. As far as toys go, since she likes pants, have you tried buying some 2$ ones from a thrift shop and seeing if she likes them despite not being on you? Cheap popular items in my house are pinecones, toilet paper/paper towel rolls, and apple twigs which I made myself. What size cage does she have right now anyways? That could make a huge difference for this transitional period.

She definitely comes out on her own. I'll open the door and back up a foot or two and she almost immediately leaps out. I think also my room is 'too big' and I just recently set up another litter box and she hasn't quite figured that one out yet (she chills in it like she flops in her main litter box in her cage though, so maybe).

As for pants; I'm afraid if I give her "toy" pants to chew on, she won't really distinguish between which pants are okay to chew on and which are not, and I don't need "fashionable" tears in my jeans. :) My roommates and I don't go through toilet paper or paper towels fast enough for her to tear through the rolls.

Her cage is like one foot and change by 2 and a half feet or so (I'm bad at eyeballing measurements) and it's high enough that her nose barely pokes over the top edge when I open the top. Her litter box is one of those corner ones and it takes over one corner, but she has more than enough room to sprawl on the inside. I'm not sure if that qualifies as too small still, though.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Windy posted:

My rabbits aren't too picky about veggies, but sometimes you have to go through 4 or 5 to find one they like. Examples of favorites are: Parsley(Italian and Curly), cilantro, green peppers, apples, mango and carrot greens. I'll lose a finger if my hands get in the way of those and my bunnies. Other items they like: carrots, cucumber, broccoli(stems especially), spinach, basil, pear, parsley, mustard and collard greens and more. Every week I just buy 5 or 6 items from what I listed, and switch it up for the next week based on availability.

My bunny loves the soft, sweet part of honeydew the best. After that she will deign to eat spinach and cilantro and carrots. :)

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Is there any reason my bun (who was spayed about 4-5 months ago) would all of a sudden start humping my arm again? She just started with this behavior in the last week, and I'm thoroughly confused, since it had stopped entirely after she got spayed.

I have some teethmarks on my arm right now where she tried to latch on. :(

This always happens after some heavy duty licking. Do I smell like a particularly sexy bunny?

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

So my bun is 'moody' lately, I think, and I don't know what to do.

First of all, I can't get her litter trained in my room --she refuses to figure out that the pile of blankets and suchlike on the floor is not, in fact, a giant litter box. She's only nominally litter trained, I think: she uses the litter box in the living room, but mostly because it's in the corner where I set down a towel for her to sit/play on. The rest of the living room is hardwood floor (as is all of my apartment) so she's not too fond of leaving the towel area.

She hijacked one of my sweatshirts about a month ago and used to play with it all the time (attempting to dig at it, chewing on it, prancing around it) and she has a rattly ball she somehow likes (oh god the noise; why did I buy that one) but as of late she's less playful and instead just... well, sits there. Curls up next to the chair I usually sit in, pokes her head up every once in a while for a pat or two, and subsides.

Is this depressed bunny behavior? I got her some dangly bird toys to play with and she ignores them; in fact, all she wants to do is chew on power cords (nothing else, incidentally, it has to have a running current through it).

I really want her to stop peeing on my bed. :/

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

NMR posted:

Has anybody here had a lot of problems with rabbits during new years or American 4th of July in an urban area? Mine doesn't get startled easily so it's probably nothing but still.

Zen was fine during 4th of July -- that didn't even occur to me to be a worry. However the fireworks are pretty far from my apartment so it's wholly possibly she didn't even hear them over the general street noise.

Do you expect the noise to be earth shatteringly loud? Are you near a fireworks site?

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

My bunny's poop has become a distinctly lighter shade of brown in the last week or so and I am wondering if this is a problem. Her diet hasn't changed - as per suggestion from the rabbit house page she gets dill and dandelion or carrot usually. She hasn't really warmed to any other veggies. The only difference in the last few weeks I can think of is I took away the water bottle and instead she has a bowl with her water, but this was after a few weeks with the bowl and after she demonstrated she'd figured out how to drink from the bowl. She is also shedding again (just started a few days ago), if this is relevant. Is this something I should take her to a vet over or is she okay?

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

girlscoutdropout posted:

I wouldn't worry unless she's pooping less frequently (or stopping completely), if they are soft, or her droppings are smaller. Smaller droppings indicate that she's dehydrated. My bun's poop has changed in color occasionally, I just assumed it was the different veggie I gave them, because I alternate my bunny's veggies weekly.

Oh good, I guess Zen's diet has been a bit dandelion heavy; she loves the leafy bit, will sometimes deign to eat the stem bit -- she is such a picky eater. It's probably time to try to introduce another veggie anyway. Even though she's rejected parsley, cilantro and I think it was watercress, and I've given up hope of finding anything she loves even a little as much as she loves dill (which isn't even on the rabbit house list of veggies, so I'm still wary of giving her too much).

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

girlscoutdropout posted:

Have you tried kale or spinach? My buns love them, you only can feed them sparingly though. Green leaf, red leaf, or romaine lettuce? Bell pepper? Collard greens? Have you tried both types of parsley? My bunnies will eat both, but they definitely prefer Italian over curly.

Edit: Broccoli?

Hm, haven't tried spinach yet -- I'm planning a groceries run today or tomorrow so I'll keep that in mind. I didn't realize there were two types of parsley, I just grabbed something named parsley. :)

She also doesn't like broccoli. I swear, she's the pickiest eater ever. :/ I'm kind of afraid her limited diet (so far) isn't healthy, although I definitely make sure she has a vitamin A source (she loves dandelion and carrot so I guess she's okay for that).

Cowslips Warren: my bun grunts all the time. She gets especially frustrated when for some reason I don't let her eat the clothes that are on me. Can't imagine why. :rolleyes: It's unbearably cute.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

girlscoutdropout posted:

Yeah the italian parsley is also sometimes called "flat leaf parsley." If I had to guess, you probably got curly parsley because that's what stores carry the most. I can't believe she doesn't like any type of lettuce (green, red leaf, or romaine). Does she even like carrots? You shouldn't give more than 1" a day of carrot, I usually give my buns 1 baby carrot.

Other things you might want to try:
Radish leaves (just the leaves)
Carrot tops

How does she respond to fruit? I've only given my bunnies banana and apple. They both love apple. I've found it's best to know what kind of fruit they will eat in case you ever need to give them medicine. My Lucy was starting to get GI stasis one night and I had to run out and get baby aspirin and baby food. Thankfully I already knew she would eat apple baby food so I didn't have to worry about that. Now I always keep baby aspirin and baby food on hand.

If you ever get worried about her digestion (both my buns have GI problems) you can try sprinkling a probiotic on her food daily. I use ProZyme, of course make sure you check with your vet first.

Hopefully you can find something she'll like!

Zen loves apple, but I figured since it's sugary I should limit her fruit intake. She gets a quarter of an apple most days (sometimes I run out of apples :/). She also likes the sweet part of honeydew -- she's so spoiled, she wastes like 50% of the edible part. :)

I finally got around to building myself a loft bed, and subsequently Zen immediately got her new 'cage'.

The picture is fuzzy from my iphone, but you can get the general idea. I left the base of her old cage in there so it still feels familiar, as well as a sweatshirt she has usurped from me, and a couple of her old toys. She's still a little confused (since I rearranged my room almost entirely in the process) but she's inside there now, happily eating lunch (dinner?) chilling on a little carpet that takes up most of the floor.

Yes, she's that brown blot on the lower left side of the picture.

angelicism fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 10, 2008

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

This may be me being over-zealous but is there something horribly wrong if the pink in Zen's nose has a touch of red? I was lying down and she started sniffing over me so I got a rare peek at the under side of her nose and the tiny bit that's pink has some splotches of red. I don't think I've ever seen that before but I rarely see her nostril's anyway so I might've missed it before. Is this a sign of something or am I just panicking over nothing?

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Our TV remote no longer has a 2 button because Zen decided to chow down on the remote one day. I think she's jealous because it always looks like I'm 'playing' with the remote more than with her when I'm channel surfing (which is really the only way I watch tv :/).

As for picking up buns: Zen just eventually got used to it. As a baby she'd flip out over being picked up but now she'll snuggle for a minute or so before wriggling to the floor. She's still not hugely cuddly but we're getting there.

I need to find a real camera to take pictures -- iphone camera isn't doing the trick.

Anyone have suggestions for new and interesting things I could give her as toys? She's no longer interested in paper towel/toilet paper tubes, or her rattly ball, or even tearing up the sweatshirt she stole from me. I'm afraid she's getting bored agai but I can't seem to find anything to entice her.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

alucinor posted:

How did that affect his resolve to get on the bed? A couple of the times my crazy buns have gotten where they shouldn't be, they've taken spills, and it seems to diminish their interest in the forbidden area. Like the dwarf bunny who decided to jump up on the kitchen island. Once she realized she could do it, it was impossible to keep her down - until she took the jump at the end of a speed run, and slid right across the island and off the other side. Never got up there again.

Holy crap I laughed out loud at this mental image and I'm still giggling, it sounds so cute!

I'm usually really good with cables but the other night I a) left Zen's pen open and b) had my ipod charger danging off a table within bunny reach.

Boo. Need a new ipod/iphone charger now.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Apparently my bun is abnormal for liking her upper floor -- the top floor in her pen is just the size of one square, though, and has 'her' sweatshirt tucked up there, so it's a super comfortable 'meatloaf' place, and she's almost always half-napping there whenever I get home.

I have no problem with keeping my bun in my room with me; Manhattan apartments are tiny, and I wouldn't want to impose Zen's pen area on my roomies by keeping her in the living room. My solution was to loft my bed (IKEA lofts are like $200 or so) and take advantage of the large amounts of extra floor real estate afterwards. Also, Zen is only semi-active at night, prefers to mostly chew up the carpet I have laid down for her ($3 at Target, best investment ever), and wait semi-patiently for me to wake up and serve breakfast. I've never had trouble sleeping in my room.

I'm thinking of rearranging my room again to try to make even better use of floor space. You'd think this wouldn't be a problem with the only things on the floor being Zen's pen, a bookshelf, and a dresser, but I mean it: Manhattan apartments are TINY. :/ Well, for us non-millionaires, at least.

(Also I'm a slob so at any given time half my wardrobe is on my floor. Zen no longer finds this interesting, thankfully, and just bypasses heaps of clothes she could merrily tear up and beelines for the living room, where the carpet has been her new chew toy. :/)

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

ShadowCatboy posted:

For those without nice, accurate digital bathroom scales, you could probably go to the supermarket with bunny in tow and put them in one of those weighing pans for veggies in the produce section.

Just be sure to scurry out of there before the manager gets on your case. :)

Oh god, I laughed loud enough that Zen now thinks I'm a crazy person and is hiding under the chair. Eek.

I figure it's about time to get a nice bathroom scale anyway, my own weight needs a bit of monitoring. :/

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

What exactly is my bun trying to do when she licks my pillow? I get the digging at my clothes, I get the chewing on my drawstring pants, but I can't imagine what behavior is emulated by licking a pillow. It's not damp, and it's just a plain medium threadcount pillowcase.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

ShadowCatboy posted:

She probably just loves your scent. Pillows really absorb a lot of that stuff. :3:

I've always wondered about the scent thing. I wear like half a dozen different perfumes given the season and the weather and day/night. I wonder if she thinks I turn into a different person between fall/winter and spring/summer. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

DS at Night posted:

I'll count myself fortunate that so far Billy's affections towards human beings have been purely platonic.

There's a small stuffed Pikachu toy in his cage who will never regain his innocence though. And I very much hope I never have to touch it again.

Interesting; I left a plush bunny in Zen's pen and all she does is nudge it out of her way.

Then again Zen is the pickiest creature ever. The plush obviously does not suit her tastes. :/

(My arm however. Oh lord. Zen is spayed and she still thinks a moderately upright arm is OMG MUST HUMPPPPPPPP.)