Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Tots posted:

How much have other goons here paid to have their bunnies fixed? My girlfriend and I went to a place about an hour away that specializes in bunnies, and the vet wants like $700 for everything. :-X

it cost me 350$ for the girl and 250$ for the boy. It probably came up to more than that because they convinced me that there are all sorts of things that need to be done to / for them in order for the surgery to go well.

I have spent a LOT of money on taking my rabbits to the vet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Windy posted:

I'm not going to get too excited, but I think I'm making progress on the road to bonding. Debbie is still a bitch, but I've learned that they can share food. Yay! I tried it last night and they seemed to be ok, so I tried it again tonight. While Murphy is still easily within the safety of his pen, him and Debbie were both face deep in greens for over 10 minutes without altercations. Generally the only time Debbie will be civil with Murphy is through the grids of the shared wall. I took a short video to document the occasion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5HQagcfqvc

you know what? I could watch that video for a long time just cuz rabbits are so loving cute to watch and stuff. Anyway, I'm glad that they're starting to get along. It kind of looked like Murphy was sniffing out Debbie while she ate. My lop makes the same movements and stuff so it's funny to watch yours interact.

I must have had the most painless bonding ever. I put them seperate for like, a week and then they started hanging out and now they're best friends and would never go anywhere without the other.

however, I do have frustrating things to deal with as well. Like all the loving cords I've had to replace or the devilish things that she does for fun that rubs off on him.

also, I'm really sorry that Murphy is traumatised from a few years ago. I fear that Bitsy will secretly hate me always because of some of the medical things that she had to go through to be a healthy one (needles and stuff).

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

angelicism posted:

I'm getting used to being the help. :sigh:

or when they wake you up in the middle of the night chewing on the stupidest things in your room because they want you to feed them.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Bagleworm posted:

Buster rattles the cage when I lock it up for the night, but I feed them immediately after so she gets distracted very quickly and stops.

I usually put a sheet over their cage so they can't see out of it. When I do that for some reason they stop. I think it's because they forget about outside when they can't see it. They're not that smart.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

do you guys know if it is legal to take rabbits over the border from Canada to the States?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I went on a trip to NOLA for like, a week and my rabbits hate me for it! They never went on the bed... even if I stayed over at someone's house and now they totally hate me. I stayed over at someone's house last night and they went nuts and made pee pees and doodies all over my bed (I can only call them that otherwise it's gross). At least I didn't leave my blanket on the bed. I guess I have to cage them if I'm staying out overnight now? I caged them if I went out for like, 5 days and that seemed to stop it but I guess it's time to crackdown again :(

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I love how we talk about vacuums as much as we do. It's quite amazing, really.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

my rabbits LOOOOOOOOVE their papaya extract pills. They hated them at first but I started wrapping them in craisins. Now they just think that they're craisins for all I can figure out. I just shake the bottle, get all pumped about it and they even come back for more.

it started by me shaking the treat thing, getting them all excited giving them a craisin and then giving them the one with the pill inside of it. Then doing that for a bit and then switching it up. They're kind of dumb.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Paterson was trying to flop into that "oh my god my rabbit is dead" deep sleep but did it too close to the edge of the carpet. He rolled off the edge and tranced himself.

doing things like that are just symptoms of his retardation... poor boy :3:

Bitsy trying to revive him with CPR. Bless her soul.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Fenarisk posted:

I let Sprout out of the cage this morning since she was doing god knows what to make a huge racket (bouncing and circling and running and who knows it was 5 am), at which point she ran around the room while Dodger looked all jealous. Cue 15 minutes later when she hops on the bed and starts nibbling my fingers to be pet. Not thinking much of it I pet her and feed her, and then let Dodger out once Sprout is in her cage (still not bonded).

Poor Dodger must have thought her hopping on the bed was the coolest thing ever so he tried it too. Cue him headbutting the mattress maybe halfway up, falling down confused, and then trotting out of the room dejected :smith:

Is there anyway to...teach bunnies to jump higher? Dodger won't even jump onto our chase lounge which is half the height of the bed unless we give him a little ramp of clothes, but he'll jump down from it just fine when we place him up there. Sprout is the opposite as she leaps up the 3 feet on top of the bed without so much as a sound.

oh my god that sounds really cute and sad. Kind of like every stupid thing that Paterson does. I don't have an answer for you for teaching him to jump higher but Bitsy is fully capable of jumping the right height while Paterson jumps a full foot higher than he has to to get on the bed and it looks really hilarious when he ends up

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

angelicism posted:

What is treatment typically for a UTI? Obviously I will go to any expense for my baby girl but if it's going to be surgery or something I would like to know in advance.

I gave Bitsy oral anti-biotics for about a week. They flavoured them like bananas for her :3: I doubt that surgery is necessary for a UTI. The checkup and meds for her cost me about 120$

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

alucinor posted:

I feed pellets about once a week, sometimes as infrequently as once every couple months. I don't make any changes to their veggies (I find that starchy or sugary veggies, which are the ones that are more calorie dense, tend to lead to more GI upset). When I do increase veggies I try not to feed more lettuces or leafy veggies, instead feeding more stemmy plants like parsley and kale; I find that too many soft leafies introduces is mostly water weight and their weight drops a bit.

can you post about what your rabbits daily food schedules are? I am curious about this!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Melicious posted:

we ended up having to put her in a tube sock with the foot cut off.

that is the funniest thing I've ever read.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I'm very sad for everyone's loss in this thread recently. I wish you all the best :(

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

this morning I woke up to Paterson eating the carpet and Bitsy eating my paystub out of my purse. Um. Hi. Not the best way to wake up.
anyway, I got all pissy and told them I was going to sell them but then Bitsy got all excited because I was awake and started racing in and out of her cage and binkying like nuts. Goodies!

one of the things that annoys me the most about my rabbits is how fast I go from being so annoyed to so happy with them.

ps. I would never sell them but it is a tempting threat sometimes.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

angelicism posted:

When Zen chews on my clothes I tell her they cost more than she did. :)

the amount of money that I have spent on fixing and replacing things is exponentially higher than the cost of both of my devil children.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

sometimes I think that Paterson is kinda smart. Then I come across this picture and realise that he might be curious but he's not smart.

oh hi guys! I can TRANCE MYSELF BY ROLLING OFF THE CARPET.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Megalodon posted:

Waffleimages is down and Imageshack won't work, so here's the attached image. :)

Edit: This won't work either. :( Nevermind.

Edit 2: Figured it out. Here we go. :)

tranced ribbits are gods gift to bunny owners. It kinda makes up for how amazingly annoying they can be!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

is anyone against me trimming the hair under Paterson's chin? He seems to get very caught up in grooming it and I think it's because there's SO MUCH of it right under his mouth.

you can kind of see the fur in this picture

I just think it would be nice for him to have a bit of a chin... that way he wouldn't spend so much time licking NOTHING.

roxareinmyhead posted:

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! The SPCA called me yesterday saying they didn't put down Spartacus because they needed a vet to look at him first. I told them I couldn't afford a vet bill and they offered to do it for free. So today the SPCA called me again and told me Spartacus was all better! He had an infection in his scrotum after the the ER neutered him because of his accident. But he looks all better and still seems very happy. I'm so relieved to have him back and very grateful to the SPCA for their charity.

yay!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Paterson is sick. We will have an assorted hay party when he comes home.

luscious fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 12, 2009

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Paterson went into GI Stasis on Friday. I had to work but had my mom take him to the vet and was on the phone for almost my whole shift. It was really lovely but he's coming home tomorrow. While I'm at the vet I'm going to buy them a lot of different kinds of hay and switch them over to Oxbow pellets even though I have the giantest bag of Martins.

it was the scariest thing ever.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

PLEASE be careful about rabbits eating carpets! That's what Paterson ate that put him into GI Stasis and it's terrible oh god. I covered the rugs with sheets and I'm sorry if you guys can't but please be careful!

my poor bebe. I'm giving him something for discomfort, two anti-biotics for a kidney thing, anti-gas stuff and Critical Care. BUT. He made a pee, some poops and ate a few sprigs of hay. And loves the Critical Care :3:

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I think that Paterson and Bitsy fought while I was at work the other day / having ORAL SURGERY. There was fur all around and stuff. The upside is, he seems to be doing a lot better and is eating his critical care and taking his meds. Though, not without a huge struggle EVERY TIME. Before, I started with the meds and then gave him the Critical Care but he seems to really like it so I've been giving that to him first to make sure he eats it before the stress levels go up. He likes some of his meds but hates the Batril (the pink one?). The baby Oval is his fave.

I had to sleep at my parents house yesterday so I wanted to separate them in case they went at it again but when I put him in the cage and her not they sat on opposite sides staring at each other and not moving except to the door so I opened it up again. My babies.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Levitate posted:

I don't even think you can fly a rabbit on a plane. Last time I checked, airlines only allowed cats and dogs, and I think I remember hearing a story about someone who had to fly one and faked a note from their doctor about the rabbit being a "necessary medical companion" before the airline would allow them to take the fuzzball on board.

there is one airline in Canada that ONLY FLIES WITHIN CANADA that will let you take a rabbit on the plane. In the cabin :3: :love: West Jet

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

so! Paterson went into GI Stasis again. I caught it way earlier this time "Paterson looks so sweet when he takes naps. Wait a minute."

we went to the vet and I was like told them that I couldn't afford to admit him or even to get x-rays done (which was really lovely because if it's a kidney stone or something then this is really horrible). They gave me a lot of meds and gave him kisses and well wishes.

he seems to be doing okay. He's moving around and going into the litterbox (not a huge amount of action but hey, I'll take anything.) He seems to be doing OKAY but I don't really want to leave him alone at all.

I think it must have just been a hairball caused by FUR because unlike last time, I can't find anything that he could have chewed on that could have caused this.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I'm glad that you guys don't think that I'm crazy for running to the litterbox and trying to find fresh poop after Paterson comes out of it.

also, I think that Bitsy might be depressed. She keeps on flopping on the ground and sleeping outside of the cage and stuff. Normally she doesn't nap flopped near me. I think that Paterson being sick and not wanting to play yet really is what's happening. Am I crazy?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Fenarisk posted:

The one time Sprout was flopping down a lot, she was doing it on both sides, and flopped over every 5 minutes or so. She had GI statis and was trying to settle her upset tummy and relieve the pains. Just an FYI. If you mean she just flops down more often than maybe she just wants a good pet and a cuddle.

yeah, Paterson was doing that and digging... that's how I knew for him. I gave her a bit of Oval yesterday because I was worried but she's eating and running around and being completely normal except for the dramatic flops. I think she just misses Paterson's affection (which is on hold until he feels better I guess. Probs today).

also, because of the meat rabbit thread I have come to the conclusion that Paterson is a German Lop.

luscious fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 21, 2009

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

hi guys, I need help.
Paterson has been wheezy all day. I noticed it yesterday for a brief moment when he was grooming himself but thought that it was just the cooing noise that they sometimes make when they bend around really hard to reach that one spot. He was normal after that though. I stayed with him for about an hour after that isolated wheeze.

I made an apt at the vet for him because I don't know what else to do. I'm worried that it might be a really bad respiratory thing but it might also be that when I change the litter (Yesterday's News), I put it in a bag in the corner so I can put their hay in it and he was looking in it a lot for an apple that was in there. Maybe the amonia started to hurt his respiratory system when he was face deep in the litter bag a whole bunch?

am I right to take him to the vet or should I see how it plays out. He seemed really uninterested in food so I gave him Critical Care and some water as well as his GI Stasis meds which I think I might have ended after 7 days instead of 10?

he's still grooming himself, eating his poop and looking for treats. He tried to eat the pellets when I gave them their morning bowl.

this animal is literally bankrupting me.

EDIT:
now I'm in their room sitting with them again and he's sitting in the corner and he's not making any wheezing sound. OH MY GOD WHAT THE gently caress.

EDIT2:
my newest observation is that when he's active at all the wheezing is there. It's only when he sits still that he doesn't make the noise. And by still I mean 100% still.

luscious fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 27, 2009

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Fenarisk posted:

If it's a possible respiratory thing I'd say get him to the vet if you can. I'm not an expert but from the stories I've read rabbits are kind of fragile with that sort of thing. If you really want I'd say give it a day, but that's your decision. It very well could be he was making some other sound or even sneezing.

he's defs not sneezing and I would take him in RIGHT NOW if I could as an emerg apt because it now looks like his breathing is kind of strained?!?!?!?!

or maybe I'm completely crazy? I totally bring them to the vet if ANYTHING seems to be wrong (but in the past it saved us both from GI stasis).

looking at him now I think that his breathing is more laboured than before... this is happening at such a terrible time. I have a job interview and kind of really feel like I should take him instead.

why :( :( :( :(

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

THE SNUFFLES!!!!!

they also did an ear culture because not only has Bitsy not been cleaning his ears as much, he also has white discharge / nasties in there.

they gave me enough anti-biotics for a month and they won't go bad until 2011 so hopefully I WILL NEVER HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS AGAIN.

my poor muffin :(

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

um. I think that something ELSE is wrong with Paterson. He didn't leave the cage at all for like, 3 hours which is hugely unusual. So I gave him his meds, Critical Care, water and baby gravol.

why, Paterson. Why.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Paterson doesn't mind being touched anymore by me but god forbid anyone else try to touch him. He can hop backwards and sideways - which I think is totally hilarious. I try to encourage him to meet people by getting them to give him a treat or his vitamin (papaya enzyme). When I first got him I would pet him using my feet because I think that people might have been realllly grabby with him with hands. Now I can stroke his forehead until he's relaxed and then gather his ears and. this is weird but whatevs. he likes it when I gather his ears and basically give them a handjob. That's like, his 100% favourite way for me to pet him. The same motion. It's really weird but I love him so.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

oh goodies

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Bagleworm posted:

This isn't a real rabbit.

It is an adorable plush rabbit. You can't fool us.

tee hee.

check out these buns!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

okay. So Paterson had the snuffles and we're treating it with Bactrim. They took a swab of his ear because of some white stuff inside of it. And the swab came back positive for a staph infection. I couldn't afford an x-ray and the vet said something about the infection possibly going into his lungs or something?

I was really busy at work so I couldn't quite figure out what she was saying but she said something about possibly giving him a broad spectrum anti-biotic that the staph will not be resistant to.

does anyone have any advice for me?

mid-September: severe GI Stasis
mid-October: minor GI Stasis
end of October: snuffles and ear staph

any ideas??

I now religiously give them papaya extract pills every day and their water gets echinacia drops. AHH

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

alucinor posted:

Also, this is a good example of why it's good practice to carry both members of a bonded pair to the vet even if only one is being seen. My vets have all totally understood that Animal B is "just here for company".

Paterson and Bitsy are going to the vet tonight. I'm taking both of them. I did last time and Bitsy peed on the floor and her butt got so wet. I felt really bad.

I'm going tonight to get his new meds. For his ear staph infection. Gross.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Paterson is getting better!
the vet today said that his ear thing is clearing up on its own and that if he shows any signs of being sick I should bring him back in.

I'm glad that we're all on the way to recovery.

thank god.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

after giving him meds nonstop for like, a week, Paterson is totally scared of me. Anytime I go near him if he's out of his cage he runs away and hides right away. When I try to pull him OUT of the cage when he's in it, he digs at my hand or plays turtle and WON'T MOVE EVER.

how can I gain back my sweet mans trust?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Ghost of Castro posted:

I'm a little nervous about some issues my bunny seems to have been having over the past day or so. He seems to be producing some... liquid that is yellowish in colour and somewhat viscous, making me think it isn't urine (he also has never peed outside his cage since we have had him). I would think diarrhea but he is also having normal poops, so I don't see how that would work. It did come from his bottom though... so what are some thoughts?

I think that it's normal for rabbits to have pee that ranges in colour from normal to red. Sometimes mine have pee that is kind of sluggey. I change their diet when that happens... less sugar or whatevs.

that said, I don't think that any animal owners watch their pet's pee and poops as much as rabbit owners do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Ghost of Castro posted:

That means he has stopped peeing exclusively in the cage... :( How can I work so he will go in the cage always or do accidents happen sometimes? Would it have to do with him thinking it is his territory? (he seems to like to poop in the same general area when he's out... unfortunately it is on the rug under my computer chair.)

Also, since you are in Ontario, do you know where a comprehensive list of vets for rabbits are or could you suggest ones? I think the closest one I've found is in Burlington (I'm in Hamilton) and that is quite a haul... especially since my car is out of commission for the foreseeable future.

is Hamilton near Guelph?