Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

your reviews aren't that good

Skizzles posted:

vet

This all sounds very promising! Sounds like you are getting good info but I would agree with alucinor on asking follow-up questions on Monday. You are doing great!

dopaMEAN posted:

What do you guys do when you leave town? I'm going to be gone for a week around Christmas, and my friend did offer to watch my cats, but I'm not sure if she could do the bunny too. I'm worried she won't get any out-of-cage time. That's why I'm kind of stressed about finding her a bigger cage right now.

I usually ask whoever is taking care of him to come over and watch TV or something at my place for an hour and let him run around, giving him greens before they leave to make it easier to coax him back into his condo. One time the petsitter did their laundry at my place, which let him have a few hours of running time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

Skizzles posted:

Just wanted to give an update on Cinnabun, complete with pics and video!

This is one very happy bunny! Cinnabun obviously likes you from the way she grooms you and allows you the "honor" of petting her (in bunny hierarchy terms anyway). I saw what on carpet would have been a binky and the Bunny 500. What a sweet and outgoing girl. It can take weeks, months or even years for a bunny to become comfortable enough around their people to allow that kind of contact seen in the video. (I also enjoyed seeing the "baseball cap ears" curious body language and poking around at the vent and behind the sink.)

You are doing a really great job at providing this bun the environment she needs to heal and be happy! Don't forget to update us about her followup appointment on Monday, I'm sure we'll all be looking forward to hearing how it goes :)

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

Skizzles posted:

D'awww, you guys, I didn't know all that meant a bunny likes someone a lot. :3:

Also, my boyfriend had her on his lap earlier, and one of my cats jumped up and started grooming her head and Cinnabun loved it. It was too cute. :3:

Receiving the grooming = is the boss. :3:

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

blinkeve1826 posted:

Yup, you nailed it--I was using Kaytee and recently switched to Oxbow. Haven't seen Kleen Mama around here, but if all the dust and crap is gone from there it's definitely worth looking into. I'll have a look online, thank you for the recommendation. I'd like to remember what it feels like to breathe again!

You won't see it in stores, you have to order it from their site: http://www.kmshayloft.com

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

Skizzles posted:

I may or may not have bought a pen for Cinnabun.

Looks good! I would suggest putting down a scrap of carpet or something on the ramp/cage door to make sure her little toes don't get caught coming in and out of there :)

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

Hungry Joes Smile posted:

edit: omigod Christmas Trees; how do you guys deal!?

Well obviously they are delicious. Also there are willow ornaments. But seriously, I just buy untreated Christmas trees and don't hang anything down low that I don't want nibbled.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

anachrodragon posted:

Do you think these are good bunny gifts?

Those are both excellent choices as bunny gifts. Another thing you can do is the Busy Bunny sells gift baskets filled with timothy hay, toys and treats: http://www.busybunny.org

This one is always a big hit: http://store.busybunny.com/Product28

candeh fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 16, 2010

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

dopaMEAN posted:

Lola and the raisins

May I humbly suggest http://store.busybunny.com/Product302? You can control the number of raisins she gets and my bun just loves this thing. It takes a while for the raisins to come out and he seems to love the noise it makes when he drops it.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

CampingCarl posted:

circles around me grunting

Yeah, that is probably honking from the sound of things and it means he wants to make sweet bunny love to you. Is your sister's rabbit fixed?

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

Glasgow posted:

But his behavior is actually getting worse now; he's marking his territory, being aggressive to her and even becoming aggressive toward me.

Obvious question: is he neutered?

Also where/how are you bringing them together? You mentioned previously that he is cage aggressive.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

Carebear posted:

I know that rabbits eat their stool

Oh, also. When they hold their ears erect and close together, does that mean they are mad at me, or just scared?

They don't eat their stool, they consume their cecals.

Also the ears sound like nervousness or anxiety, not unusual for being in a shelter.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

Foaming Chicken posted:

Is it normal for rabbits to lay completely on their sides? Including having one side of their face to the ground? It reminds me of how my dog would lay when he was relaxed. He looks like an old teddy bear that just fell over (but legs limp)

Yes, this is a super happy and relaxed pose. Whatever you're doing, good job!

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

Foaming Chicken posted:

^^^Enjoy it while it lasts.

I'm thinking about gluing the individual bits of carpet back in place. It's maybe 3 by 4 inches, couldn't take more than a few hours :mad:

I've done this. It works but is a huge pain in the rear end.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

luscious posted:

I was going to buy diapers to put down so if they peed they wouldn't be sitting in it for hours. I totally dropped the ball on that one so I'll just put down a towel or something.

The last time I moved my bun by car, I put puppy pee pads in the bottom of the carrier and that worked out pretty well.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

DoomedFish posted:

I've searched every Target within 50 miles of me for those wire cube things I saw mentioned a million pages ago with no luck.

Here you go: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Whitmor-White-Wire-Storage-Cubes-Four-Cubes-Interlocked/5005200

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

My male dwarf mix is finally calming down and becoming more friendly, at the age of 6. He is an old man now :3:

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

I know you already made your decision but I personally have this one: http://store.busybunny.com/deluxe-hopper-hideaway-bb-65dlx-p733.aspx

I have a friend who swears by the Cottontail Cottage, FWIW.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

Foaming Chicken posted:

Is there any hope of my rabbit mellowing out as he gets to know and trust me? I remember Lewis putting up a fight in the beginning but new bun is just so much more energetic/curious/spry. And angry about it.

It can happen, just be patient.

Foaming Chicken posted:

Edit: I have stopped screaming CACAW as I reach in to snatch him

You should stop wearing the owl mask too.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

sliderule posted:

I hate spaying and neutering bunnies. It has broken my last two. They were active before, and turned into grumpy do-nothings. I just don't want to break another good-natured bunny.

sliderule posted:

The two are not pairing well. They try to fight every time they get close.

sliderule posted:

I don't know what to do now

You're being ridiculous. Intact females have up to an 80% chance of developing a reproductive cancer and are nearly impossible to bond. Having them spayed will be better for their health and give them a shot at bonding.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

Levitate posted:

Do people have recommendations for something to put on the bottom of a rabbits pen area to keep urine and other stuff from getting onto the floor/carpet?

I buy these rugs from Walmart : http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Titan-Area-Rug-Blue/17324470

The ones that measure 30x46 fit almost perfectly in a 2 grid x 3 grid cube cage and cost $11. They sell a variety of colors as well.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

PopeCrunch posted:

Hello!

In about six months, I'm looking at taking my pets on a 3900 mile road trip. (We're moving. To goddamned Alaska.) This will be during the winter, so I'm going to have to bung them both inside a dog-crate sized enclosure for the trip (about a foot and a half wide and tall, about two feet long). Yes I know this will suck for them but the only places they could possibly have more room would be in the cargo bay of the truck (NO) or in the unheated car in the trailer (good lord they'd freeze). The upshot of the dog-crate type enclosure will mean that they will have enough room in there to have food and water dishes (the cats will just have to suck it up and eat/drink when we stop for lunch and at morning/night), and I can put down a few towels to keep the pee situation handled. About halfway in here, I will have to present them to a Canadian customs agent for inspection to make sure they're not obviously tuberculosis-ridden or secretly goblins or something. I am wondering if I should basically assume they are going to be so freaked out for the entire trip that I should keep them dosed with reglan or other gut motility medication as a preventative.

Has anyone else taken their buns on a very long road trip? Ideas?

I'd suggest lining the crate with puppy pee pads instead of towels, they do the trick and they're disposable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

Bean posted:

black nails

Try shining a flashlight behind the nail so you can actually see the quick.