Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Worst part of this thread is how often someone's bunny gets sick or dies :(

Sorry about Murphy :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

It seems weird to me to put a rabbit down because it's an "aggressive, dangerous pet", but this makes sense to me:

Gumby Orgy posted:

she said an aggressive animal is never a happy one.

My bunny can be a little poo poo and somewhat aggressive, but he doesn't bite unprovoked or anything and isn't unhappy. He just doesn't like it if people mess with him too much, but he'd rather run away than attack someone because of it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Gumby Orgy posted:

My rabbit bit the poo poo out of a little kid. Did you miss that part?

No need to get terse. As you even point out later in your post, most people don't think of rabbits as being able to be extremely aggressive or dangerous, and as you say, it's also rare that they are. I was just expressing that thought of "wow, I've never really thought of a rabbit being so aggressive that they could be considered dangerous". I wasn't questioning your situation.

quote:

Harper was not just "somewhat aggressive" he was extremely aggressive.

Wasn't trying to describe Harper's level of aggressiveness, just my own rabbits. Again just expressing the thought of "mine can be kind of aggressive sometimes but I've never seen/heard of a rabbit being dangerously aggressive, that's so far above and beyond what I've had experience with".

There was no questioning of your situation or choices or anything like that, just a mild comparison between experiences from my view and a conclusion of surprise at a level of aggression I haven't seen before

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

understandable, and I'm sorry, I know it must feel terrible. That's also why I quoted that part of your other post about what your vet said; extremely aggressive animals are unhappy animals. I think that's probably a very good point and makes your decision a very reasonable one in the end. I hope you feel better and find yourself another furball/poop machine to love

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

without checking rabbit.org to make sure, I think you'll want to do away with the cedar/pine bedding it looks like you have in there. I believe it can be bad for rabbits. Use something like Carefresh or Yesterdays News (depending on what you/the rabbit likes and blah blah) in his litterbox. You don't really need bedding all over the entire cage, most rabbits are content to make their own mess or just sprawl on the floor of their cage

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Catching rabbits a huge goddamn pain in the rear end :argh:

Just keep at it, dude. He'll settle in and be more sociable and not as much of a pain. Hang out on the floor with him and he'll get curious and come over to check things out, etc.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think that white one is actually a guinea pig

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

If they demand to be petted they don't really love you, they just are demanding your obedience :colbert:

If they lick you, then they love you

Actually mine doesn't lick me but I'm pretty sure he's cool with me. He just doesn't like licking things that aren't microfiber couches or the fringe from the rugs we have on the floor.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I do that and my bunny just ignores them

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

My bun is around 8 years old and I worry something is going to happen some day :(

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

KenMornignstar posted:

Rabbits also thump when they want attention and you aren't giving it to them. Keep in mind as crepuscular creatures their natural cycle is sunrise and sunset to be the most active.

Or when you aren't feeding them on time :argh:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

about how long are peoples bunnies nails? Mine has dark nails and it's really hard to see where the hell the quick is, so I'm afraid I'm leaving them too long :ohdear:

I at least get them cut down so they're not sticking out of the fur on his paws, but they still seem like they might be a bit long.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

KenMornignstar posted:

My rabbits nails are naturally pretty long. They don't really have pads since a bunny foot is furred all the way around. Ours usually end up being cut a little past where the fur ends.

Cool, that's good to know. It'd be easy if I could just see the quick on all of his nails :argh:

He hates having stuff like that done, so we wrap him up in a towel and he spends most of the time chewing on the towel, but it's funny because he's also associated bunny burritos with getting treats afterwards, so as soon as I put him down, he starts running around looking for his treat

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

can rabbits really get that fat off greens? I'd assume it'd mainly be from pellets, but I dunno what you feed yours

Cilantro looks like a younger version of my bunny

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think you're pretty much screwed, but...how big is the cage? Is it big enough for him?

I think 8 months is still 'young rear end in a top hat age' for rabbits, so he might grow out of it.

edit: my question about the cage is because I know my rabbit basically destroys anything that gets in his face, so if your guy is kind of confined, he may just have the litterbox, food bowls, etc, always in his way and gets the urge to toss them around. More space might make him more relaxed

Levitate fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 20, 2010

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

And honestly, rabbits make messes. Even if mine isn't busy tearing poo poo up, he's shedding all over the place and pulling hay out of his box and spreading it all around

If it's just confined to his cage, let him live in his own mess :) (assuming the mess isn't bunny poop and urine everywhere and is just bedding and hay and litter pellets or something)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jesus christ I can't believe this actually exists but it's loving hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptyKSiRyQ4Y&feature=player_embedded

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

blinkeve1826 posted:

-I can't tell if he's getting the hang of the litterbox or not--sometimes I'll look in and see little deposits of poo, but sometimes there won't be anything, and there are a whole lot of poo pellets all around his pen. I know some poo around a bunny's pen/cage is normal, but it seems like a lot. Oh, and I've noticed a lot of pee in the Trader Joe's bag he has in there to play with. Luckily he's really good about keeping it to his pen, and I rarely see more than a stray pellet or two around my room when I let him out.

Put some hay in the front of the litterbox so that he can sit in there and eat while he poops. I think this helps litter train bunnies a lot. Also tossing the stray pellets into the litterbox so it's all in one place probably helps too

quote:

-I have knotted rugs lining his pen, which I didn't think he'd be able to chew up so easily, but, well, he's a bunny. I caught him doing it once to the carpeting when I let him out, too, but I caught him in time and managed to get the piece he had in his mouth away from him. How can I discourage this, and/or what can I possibly line his pen with that he will not at all be able to chew up? Any type of rug, other material...? Is there any real way to ensure he never chews up what's under him? I find myself constantly worried because from what I've gathered, even a little bit of the wrong material can be fatal to him.

He's a bunny, he's going to chew most anything he can get in his mouth. You don't really need to have carpeting in his pen, unless it has a wire bottom. Bunnies seem to like hard, smooth surfaces just fine. I think other people on here have come up with some carpet type stuff that works, though.

quote:

-The people I've spoken to have said, when I've asked, that they won't ingest cardboard, newspaper, etc. but will just chew it up. Fluffy, however, seems to be eating his cardboard and wicker toys rather than just chewing them. Is this problematic? If so, how can I discourage it? Should I not give him these things to play with? If so, what kinds of common household things (a la phone books, cardboard boxes, etc) can I give him to play with? I'll buy him some more bunny toys eventually but I want some less expensive/free/found-around-the-house options too.

I kind of don't think it's a problem, but I've never had stomach problems with my bunny (thankfully). Stuff like cardboard and wicker probably just mainly acts like fiber and isn't a huge deal. Some other people might have better advice though

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

That, and fresh mint breath

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

luscious posted:

Try putting down some area rugs. Rabbits hate hardwood floors. Bitsy and Paterson will be like little turtles and stretch out to reach something from their cage, grab the end and retract back into the cage if they don't feel like they have steady ground. When they have carpets they're much happier.

When I first found my bunny (laying in the gutter in Queens!)I was living in a place with hardwood floors, and he got pretty used to them and didn't have a problem getting around.

Then I moved to a bunch of places with carpet and now he won't set foot on anything that is smooth (tile, linoleum, wood, etc). It's like he discovered the good life and was like "gently caress it, I'm never leaving"

And he's gotten older and is probably grumpier

Jhael posted:

Recently she's also taken to rubbing the underside of her chin on absolutely everything (marking scent, correct?)

My bunny does this all the time and he's been neutered a long time. Maybe has something to do with other animals in the house

And yeah, spaying for bunnies seems ridiculously expensive

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

:( That's really sad. Bunnies are so strangely fragile sometimes and it always worries me. Mine seems like some kind of superman bunny (well not really, but he's a tough little guy and hasn't had any major problems at all, and he's probably 8-9 years old at this point), but I know he's getting old and I worry he'll go downhill fast or something.

I don't really want to have to deal with losing him, he's been my little buddy for so long now, but I'm really sorry to hear you lost yours after only a year or so :(

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Foaming Chicken posted:

Rabbits look so pathetic and vulnerable and cute even without a bib. My god that picture is cute.

I don't think s/he looks pathetic and vulnerable so much as PISSED

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

He's probably just really excited to eat. He's a rabbit, they basically live to eat and poop.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

get out posted:

Good to hear that it doesn't seem like an aggression issue from you seasoned rabbit owners. :)

He found out how to get up on our bed today. He loooooooves it.

I mean, they can be aggressive about stuff in general, but I think it's more like "I want my food I want my food gimme gimme gimme gimme" than it is angrily attacking you

I always find it cute when they get so excited about food

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

alucinor posted:

I once made the mistake of teaching one of my big bunnies to jump up on the bed for craisins. At 8pm, it was adorable.

At 430am, I woke up shrieking as 10lbs of craisin-addicted rabbit landed on my back... not so adorable.

I've been woken up by a rabbit landing on my head before. Not fun :colbert:

Only slightly more fun is being woken up by rabbit whiskers in your face and up your nose

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

What wire cubes do people use to make their rabbit pens?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Do people have recommendations for something to put on the bottom of a rabbits pen area to keep urine and other stuff from getting onto the floor/carpet?

My rabbit has been having some litterbox issues...he's getting over some health problems so it might be that, and he's also getting old, but he's not always peeing in his box(s). I put a tarp down and basically a blanket over that but the tarp is kind of awkward and he can sometimes dig it up and chew on it

So, was wondering if people put anything down on the floor or had cheap suggestions

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

My bun is getting old, and seems to be showing signs of it fast lately. He's got arthritis is one of this legs so he doesn't want to move around as much and doens't seem to want to spend the effort to get into his litterbox. He pees everywhere, and often while he's laying down.

It's not an overall solution but does anyone have any ideas for something more like a large tray that I can put a plastic bag over and some litter on top, so maybe he'll be more inclined to use that? Something that doesn't require him to jump to get in and is maybe larger than a regular sized litter box so he could lay down if he wanted.

It sucks, it seems like he's going downhill kind of quickly and I'm worried that despite my best efforts, he'll get pee burns and infections from that, but I guess it's stuff to deal with when your pet is older

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

he's probably around 10. It seemed to come on suddenly, it wasn't a problem until recently when we noticed he was favoring his left leg. We took him to the vet and they did x-rays and said he has arthritis in his left knee and a bit of a degenerative condition in his back, which I guess isn't uncommon either.

Vet gave us some stuff that's basically glucosamine and said some people think it helps. I guess if it got bad then you could get painkillers as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I just lost my rabbit today. He wasn't eating as much so we took him to the vet, who said he had teeth spurs and needed those filed. So we did that and took him home and kept an eye on him. He was eating little bits and it was hard to tell if he was just recovering from the teeth filing, but it became evident he wasn't eating enough so we took him back in. The vet gave us critical care and we started feeding him, but I think he was too weak at that point combined with a persistent nasal infection that he's had for a long time (it's been treated multiple times with different antibiotics but none of them have helped it) and I think overall it might have just been too much on him as a relatively older rabbit. At least I worked from home today.

It's hard not to think that I could have done something; I should have taken him to the vet earlier, should have done a better job giving him critical care, should have done something. Hard not to feel responsible, maybe I am