Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Is having two buns better than just one, overall? I know they are social critters...drat it, Momiji, neutering you will be expensive!....but if it means he can have a buddy after, it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Got a new problem with Momo, guys. :(

Come December I will be moving from my current house, which is all tile, and Momo runs around free, back to my mom's, which is newly carpetted, and Momo will -not- be free range 24/7. Mom is thinking it would not be fair to Momo to go from having an entire house to roam in to just a cage (I plan on building him a new two-tier one, like some of the ones in this thread, the Target wire things), so I should find him a new home, in her words. He could stay at the zoo, where he is friends with the rabbits on display, but they only have one room (small at that) for the rabbits, and I wouldn't get to see Momo again.

My mom did say that part of the yard could go to Momo, so he'd have supervised outside time, but it's quite a change, I know, from going where he pleases in my house to a limited yard space and a cage.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I wouldn't be leaving Momo outside! He'd come out with me in the evening or early dawn in fall and winter, when it's cooler out, to graze in the grass and generally run around. He would NOT be left outside.

And I would much rather take him with me. Thing is that he is not a lounge-in-his-cage rabbit; his previous owner never let him out of his cage, so I think he loves the freedom of running amok. But I have some months to build him his new digs so he'll get used to more limited freedom. And when I go to build said cage, what exactly do I call these wire parts and bits? I already will look like a fool to whatever employee I run into trying to explain the parts.

I'm sure he'd like a buddy, but my mom loves guinea pigs more than rabbits, so she'd probably not object to one of those as a buddy for him. But do rabbits usually bond with cavies? Most everything I read about cavies and rabbits mentions that they shouldn't be kept together overall.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So...am looking into a second rabbit, so Momo will have a friend. I'm waiting until after he is neutered...but should I be looking into a male rabbit, or would I have better luck bonding him with a female? Momo has never had any rabbit friends since he left his mom, but I think he is lonely (and the cat doesn't want to be his friend!).

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Nail in the coffin time here: for drat sure, I would sooner turn Momo into a shelter than leave him at the zoo. The two girl rabbits on display in Small Mammals will soon be off exhibit, I was told this past week. I figured someone was adopting them; this happens a ton, but it's hush hush.

Ah, no. They're to be whacked and then frozen and fed out.

I can't afford to spay two females, or I'd take them both. As is, I don't even know if anyone -can- adopt/buy them out. With any luck, I can at least take one. Money is the constraint.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So now Momo is neutered! And it only cost me $70 at a low-cost spay-neuter place.

Now I am debating on getting him a friend. At the zoo, there are two female rabbits essentially on Death Row; unless someone adopts them, they're gator or snake food (must love how the AZA won't hear about that!). I can't afford them both (with spaying), but I think I can get one. Plus, Momo has been around these girls before, and they seemed to get along great.

Good idea to get her before she's chow, and Momo's so soon after being fixed?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

girlscoutdropout posted:

Not sure if I completely understand if you're asking a question or not. But I did want to say go ahead and get the zoo bunny, just don't try to do any bonding until Momo is 100% healed. If any fighting happens it could rip the stitches. It's always best for 2 potential bunny lovers to just be near one in each other for a couple weeks before bonding anyways.

Are the two zoo bunnies bonded? I guess this is kind of a dumb question because it doesn't really matter if you break them up if they are both destined to be dinner. Saving one is better than none!

I think the two girls are, yes...they are very friendly to each other, but there is another keeper at the zoo who I might be able to convince to take the other girl.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Windy posted:

Angelecism, bunny may just want to get out and play or be commanding attention :/ Have you plenty of toys to keep her occupied, not just food and sticks? Paper tubes(from tp and kitchen towels), boxes, old magazines and cheap plastic bird toys are awesome.

Does anyone else have a bunny that doesn't seem interested in toys, or is Momo ignoring his just because his run space is, currently, the entire house? I plan on sectioning off areas soon, slowly shrinking him down, so when we move back to my mom's, it won't be such a shock that he can't rush the entire house down. Will he be more responsive to toys when he has less room to run?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I know it can't be normal for a rabbit to have as messy a butt as Momo does, and he doesn't get that many vege treats. But Momo seems to like peeing and sitting his butt right in the puddle so that his fur gets clumpy and he needs a bath. What gives? The rabbits at the zoo are fed a high-protein alfafa diet with tons of greens, and I never see them (bonded girl rabbits) with any clumped fur. Momo, on the other hand, gets grasses and timothy hay pellets and some veges here and there (he used to get a lot more, but he got the runny poops very fast). What gives?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

girlscoutdropout posted:

Are you giving lots of fruits or raisins? He may just have GI problems in general. My Jack does, so I sprinkle this powder on his veggies every day. I give it to Lucy too because it's just good for their over-all digestion.

Actually, he doesn't get any fruit or raisins...just a small bit of bread once in a while.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

girlscoutdropout posted:

I really wouldn't recommend giving bread, but I still don't think that's the reason for the poopy butt. Maybe time for a vet visit?

Perhaps it is. :( Damnit, the last time he had a poopy butt I was told it was because he was getting too many greens! No more bread for you, Momo...more grasses sound better.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What kind of pellets does everyone feed their buns? And other than grass and pellets and veges, are there any other staples that need to be met? I ask because Momo has no interest in most vegetables and he doesn't seem to eat any grass at all.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

girlscoutdropout posted:

When you say "grass" do you mean hay? Timothy hay is the biggest staple of a rabbit's diet. I feed Kaytee's Timothy Complete pellets.

This is the same stuff that I use, but perhaps I should be feeding less of this and more grass/timothy/orchard hay?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So Momiji now has a friend, a few months old bun named Cowslip (it fits her, all right, even if my Watership Down chosen name isn't as cool as Fiver or Blackavar!), and they seem to get along well...for about a minute. Then the neutered Mo jumps the smaller Cowslip and proceeds to try and breed.

Is there anything I can do to, well, stop this? Since I just got Cowslip, I haven't taken her to the vet for her own fixing yet, but Mo is nearly twice her size (but they weigh about the same) with his fur, and from the way she panics, I don't think she's in season at all. drat it, Mo, I finally get you a friend and rape is all you can think of! :(

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

girlscoutdropout posted:

I would probably wait until she is spayed + a month or so before I'd try bonding them. That might just be me. Both of mine are spayed/neutered and Jack still mounts Lucy. Then Lucy bites his face...and that's why we're not bonded yet.

Anyways, just be careful, make sure no fighting occurs!

Day two on bonding: so far the jumps on Cowslip have stopped. Instead I see the two of them napping close to each other, though I don't see them touching that much. Mo's decided to be a little jerk by showing her all of his secret spots where it's harder for me to get to them, and also how to jump up onto and down from the couch. They are supervised at all times and kept apart when I'm not around, but so far I have not seen any fights.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
More bonding stuff between Momiji and Cowslip: I haven't seen him mount her for a few days now, and no fights at all, though Momo does try to trick her into getting lettuc from me first, so he can sniff her butt. I don't know if that counts as a prelude to mounting, but there's none of the desperate OMG RABBIT pouncing attacks from when they first met. Are we out of the first set of serious woods for now? Anything else to watch out for?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

girlscoutdropout posted:

Only 2 months of bonding so far? Haha come back and talk to me when it's been 6 months and still no progress.

Bonding takes a very long time, sometimes a year or so.

Good luck!

I am guessing then that my rabbits are tolerating each other and not bonded then?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

girlscoutdropout posted:

Mix diluted apple juice into the pellets. Although pellets are the least healthy thing he could be eating (out of hay, pellets, and veggies). Is he not eating anything? Even his favorite veggie?

Does this apply to all pellets, pretty much? I use the KayTee Timothy Complete pellets and timothy and other grass hays, but pellets are always out for the buns to snack on.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
More poo poo developments in my moving back home.

My stepdad apparently won't be out of the house as soon as the plan went, hence the rabbits won't be able to have an outdoor play area for perhaps as long as a year. :( Which means that Momo and Cowslip, used to having the entire living room to call their own, will be stuck largely in their cages (or cage?) since they can't be trusted on the carpet. I'm worried that this won't be fair to them; they are used to running around all the time, and I won't be able to build an enormous cage (should they each have their own?) anywhere near the size of their current territory. I'm also worried that in smaller grounds, they may fight.

What to do?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I can, but was planning on a two story cage anyway, since Mo has taken to perching on my couch.

Is it really unfair of me to cage them up soon, when they are used to free run? I don't want to find another home for them, but if that would be best...

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So am building the new cage for Momiji...if he has bonded to Cowslip, can they share a cage, provided it is large enough? It's two stories so far, because Mo does like to sit up on high and survey his territory. Cowslip does as well, but not to the same extent.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm worried about Mo.

Well, mostly because of paranoia. A coworker of mine had a male, fixed rabbit named (how original) Thumper. Thumper was an outdoor rabbit. Thumper got all the exercise in the world tearing around a fenced in yard, all the grass he could want, and a lot of brushings daily. Yesterday, at a prime two years of age, Thumper didn't leave his hole/burrow, and was found dying, his chest hard and upper body swollen.

I work at a zoo. The vet of our zoo, who admittedly knows not much about rabbits, in her own words, asked my coworker if she had had Thumper neutered. Yes to that. "Well," says the vet, "that's probably why." Bacterial infections over a year old was what she listed as the cause, despite not seeing Thumper at all. So I know the diagnosis is poo poo overall, but I am wondering if anyone has had complications up to a year after fixing their rabbit that show up and kill within a day.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

alucinor posted:

Neutering doesn't kill rabbits. Living outdoor does.

I've had over 50 rabbits spayed and neutered since 2003, with no post-surgical complications apart from one doe who had a large ovarian tumor at the time of spay. The cancer had already metastasized but she lived another 4 years.

2-3 years is an average lifespan for an outdoor rabbit. It's 8-12 for an indoor rabbit. If the rabbit was indoors, the owner could have seen that he wasn't eating, drinking, or pooping normally, and could have gotten vetcare that would probably have saved him. That's not to go into all of the outdoor hazards that it could have been, which he would never have been exposed to indoors.

Please go slap that vet for me. Slap Thumper's owner, too, while you're at it. God, this is why I hate people.

That's what I was thinking. The best part? I work at the zoo, my coworker is one of the ladies who works with such animals like the giraffes, zebras, kangaroos. The vet is in charge of such animals like baby tigers. I was suspicious of what she said overall, knowing that Thumper lived outdoors, but the fact the vet said this made me wonder.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have to admit, though my new rabbit Cowslip drives me crazy (she gets a hold of ANYTHING that I have tied up and far from the floor, dive-bombs the cat from the couch, and likes to be out of the rabbit area of the house), she has been great for bringing Mo out of his shell. He's actually turning into a love sponge, wanting me to pet and scratch around his head, while Cowslip watches. She's interested in whatever Momiji is getting that she isn't, but when I try to pet her, she darts off. When I bribe her with food, she stays.

I'm still amazed they hit it off so well. Momiji doesn't even blink when she mounts him and does whatever dominance dance rabbits do.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Nobbers looks like he could be Mo's twin, save Momiji is brown.

Is that really what an angry rabbit looks like? Momo looks like that when he's on his couch perch.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yes, Mo is a lop. I don't know if he's a "mini" lop though; I was told he's about three years old (I'm his third owner), and he's small compared to Cowslip, who's not even a year yet (but her mom is apparently a giant).

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else's rabbits know their name? I wonder with Mo, because sometimes I call him and he doesn't peek out; other times I walk into the room and just start to say his name and he's under my feet, wanting to be pet. Cowslip could care less about me calling, but I notice whenever Mo is getting something, Cowslip comes running over to investigate.

I seriously never thought there'd be a day I'd think rabbits are better than dogs.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
More news about my move in two weeks...

Mo and Cowslip will be moving from having a living room to play in, down to a newly built cage (I'm looking at having one made out of non-painted aluminum, any issues with that?) about three feet long, possibly four, a two story house cage.

My mom is leery of having them in such a cage when they are used to free range, pretty much. She also isn't fond of the idea of two rabbits, when I had only one initially. She's willing to give them a chance, but she'd much prefer just one rabbit. I'm wondering if the lesser of two evils would be to find someone who can take care of both rabbits, rather than split up a bonded pair.

The rabbits and cat seem to know something is up; CJ the cat is very clingy, and Mo wants more pets than usual. Cowslip is her ordinary "teenage" self of not caring.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Damnit, now right as I have convinced my mom that no, we cannot split up the rabbits, Cowslip goes on a bender. :P She's now convinced that it is her given right to mount Momiji all the time and has started yanking out fur on his back. Mo's definitely the sub in this, and he runs away and often tries to hide from her.

Is Cowslip just having her terrible teenage (she's about six months old now) spurt, or am I going to have to find her a new home? Mo has become a lot more withdrawn since I've started packing up to move (we'll be at our new place this coming Monday but have been sending small stuff out the past week, so the house is all rearranged) and I can't tell if it's because of that, or that and Cowslip being a bitch.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

alucinor posted:

Remind me if they are both altered?

You Are: ;-*

This could also exactly describe rabbits. Neither my most loving cat nor my most affectionate rabbit would give a poo poo for me if I would just invent an automatic litterbox which dispenses food and is also a petting machine which projects a square of sunlight onto the floor.

Mo is, Cowslip is not yet. Problem solved if I get her done?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Aaaaaand the award for the Retard of the Year goes to me.

I just grabbed Cowslip off of Mo now, and had one of those moments of utter clarity when I realized that I am a loving moron. To quote Family Guy: "It's a girl...but it has a penis."

Yes, I somehow totally missed Cowslip's testicles. Someone will be missing those permanently soon!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Cowslip is going in next week for the snipsnip.

His past owner said it was a girl, and I checked, saw no testicles, and figured they were right. Teaches me not to fondle a drat rabbit when his entire rump is black fur and his scrotum is too.

No wonder poor Mo was freaking out....I wouldn't want a "girl" attacking me with that!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Time for Cowslip to get fixed...but the vet has openings in two weeks (it's a low cost spay/neuter clinic that charged me about $80 for Mo; everyone else around starts at twice or three times that.), so I'm torn between watching Mo get humped every few minutes or keeping Cowslip caged. The latter has been happening more and more with the ongoing move, since Mo leaves alone electric cords, but Cowslip does not, despite Bitter Apple and any kind of covering. drat younger rabbits!

I hope all this blows over once his nuts are gone. I also hope that Mo and Cowslip both don't turn into Angry Bunnies For Life when they are in a cage when I am not at home and not free-range as they used to be. But their new cage is three tiered and looks great...and come spring, they'll have tons of grass outside to eat, and soon, once the backyard gets cleaned up, will have a nice outside play yard too.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So we're moved!

Thus far the rabbits seem fine with the change of surroundings, even as they are in their cage and not free roam on the carpet. Mo did seem to calm when I pet and scratched around his head out of the cage (I read somewhere that a "chewing/pencil sharpener" means either content bunny or I WILL KILL YOU bunny, and since he never attacked or ran off, I assume the former) and just gave me the evil eye when he had to go back with Cowslip, who is getting fixed as soon as the vet opens.

And Superconductor, keep the rabbit! I know it sounds like a double standard, keeping meat rabbits with a pet rabbit, but I know some cattle ranchers/breeders who have a few pets and the rest are milk fodder or steak-to-be. I myself breed mice for snake food, and the sweetest and prettiest mice go into cages marked Other, for non-breeders and non-feeders.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What is the best way to clip bunny nails? Mo's are getting a bit long, though for some reason Cowslip's are not. I do have a dog nail clipper for my small MinPins, but even with Kwikstop around, I'm not exactly leaping for the chance to take two flighty rabbits and trim their nails down.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is there any need to worry about Cowslip with cataracts in the future? His eyes are fine, but he does have blue eyes (one of his parents did too), so I'm not sure if I need to worry more about future eye or ear problems.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The day after tomorrow, I am wrestling Cowslip into the carrier, and hauling him, as well as the baby I nanny for, to the spay/neuter clinic. What I would give for someone to document this, as Cowslip HATES the carrier, despite me trying to get him used to it, and the rabbit is nearly the same weight as the baby. At least I'll be balanced between carseat carrier and rabbit carrier weight.

Bagelworm, Nobbs is so adorable! He really could be Mo's twin.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Now both of the boys are eunuchs. Mo responded to Cowslip's loss by trying to hump him quickly. Boys!

I'm wondering if my two ever really bonded to start with, since Mo was neutered before Cowslip came around, and now Cowslip's fixed as well. They don't fight at all, and I see them usually lying next to each other and grooming, so I assume they are all right?

Mo does this odd teeth grinding noise when I scratch around his jaws, and he seems content to stay for the pets as long as I scratch him. Is this just his way to saying "Keep going, bitch?" rather than "something is wrong with me FIX IT!"?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Cowslip has warmed up a good deal since his nuts disappeared. He's still not one for being picked up, but he's a good deal more curious about peeking his head out and getting pet.

He is a Cowslip, but drat if every time I tell someone his name, they keep asking for a repeat. No, not Cows Lip, Cowslip! It's a flower, damnit!

A while ago I picked up a large chincilla cage that should fit the rabbits fine. But I'm worried that if they both are sitting in the top-most tier, then the cage will topple over. Short of tying the cage down with studs (Mom will never go for that on the new carpet!) what else can I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

NMR posted:

I swear Billy still confuses the hell out of me sometimes. He was sitting contently eating some corn then all of a sudden he growls, stomps on the ground and jumps halfway across the room. He was "on alert" for like ten minutes even though there were no unusual sounds or presences to be heard. I mean my neighbours were being noisy but they're always noisy so that's nothing out of the ordinary.

I guess he was noticing something that I wasn't, but I have no idea what :ghost:

Your rabbit is protecting you from the Black Rabbit of Inle.

Be aware!

I'd love to hear my rabbits make noise, but no growls or purrs or anything. Then again, that's probably a good thing too...