Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Girlscout, I'm amazed by this...you have a male and female you are trying to bond, right? How the hell did I get so lucky with Momiji and Cowslip that two males bonded almost at once?

Here's the best of luck to you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I have to say, that about a month after Cowslip lost his man-bits (neutering, I mean!), he's still shy around me, but he does seem jealous when Momiji is getting pet. Cowslip will sneak over and wait for his pets and scratches, and usually leaves before Mo does, but he's much friendler now!

New rabbit cage will be set up this weekend...more layers of running for the boys! I can't wait for spring to come, so I can take them outside and let them munch in the grass. Other than the usual predators (which should not pose a problem since the rabbits will be supervised), is there anything I need to watch out for? The buns will be separated from the pool by a three foot tall cinderblock fence, and will be around a few tortoises and turtles.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bunway Airlines posted:

Yep. Take it as a compliment. He wants to hump you :buddy:

I'm now insulted that neither of my male rabbits have ever tried to hump me, even before they were fixed. :( What's the matter, am I not good enough for you? And the cat is? You bastards!

I noticed Momo is a lot calmer about being out of the cage and sprawled out on my bed, but Cowslips tends to panic and jump down and back into their cage...when nothing is bothering Momo at all. I just need to work more with Cowslip, I imagine?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm not quite sure what to do with Cowslip; he doesn't want out of his cage at all. Now, I admit it is a four tier cage and he loves running around in it, but he panics any time I go to take him out for some out-of-cage play. He'll usually sit quietly near me while I brush him on the bed...but then he leaps down and runs back inside his cage, if I leave the door open. Otherwise he still bolts, and sits by the door, and goes in as soon as I open it.

He's a chewer, so I can't let him out unsupervised. I've tried working with him daily, but he panics so much when I try to get him out that he's injured himself (scratched his foot open trying to keep away from me). But I don't want an unfriendly rabbit on my hands. I don't want or need him to be a cuddle-thing, but I don't know how else to work with him if he panics and can hurt himself so.

Momo, on the other hand, seems to crave being petted and wants out daily. He's taken to pooping on one area of my bed (I'm thinking of tossing another potty tray there), and if I leave him alone, he'll be found minutes later, sprawled out near my pillow or on the mound of blankets. I have noticed that sometimes, when I stop petting him, he seems to go into a mini-rage of biting the blankets and digging at them--but he never bites at me. Is this a dominance thing, or is he pissed at me for stopping the pets?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
All right, new issues with the buns....it's getting over 100* now in Arizona, so even during the evening, it's too hot to put the buns outside for supervised play. So I try and let them run around on my bed for fun, since I can't trust Cowslip on the floor (both he and Mo are somewhat box-trained, but when they are excited all bets are off, and my mom would kill me with rabbit pee on the new carpet)...but Cowslip freaks out bad when I take him out of the cage. As soon as my back is even half turned, he's jumped down and raced back to the cage, and if the door is open, he slides right in and stays there.

I don't want to stress him out by pulling him from his home, but is there any other way to get him more relaxed? He's not a rabbit that seems to want much human contact, while Mo is happy being massaged and kneaded on and rubbed.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I imagine I am lucky, after reading stories of foot rape, that Mo was only interested in the cat when he was intact, and he and Cowslip were into the dominance humping when they were intact as well.

Got a nice picnic blanket for the buns to roam on, and now I'm hitting myself for giving away the metal build-a-storage crate bin things, because I need to fence in the new play area (past experience has taught me that Cowslip can and will squeeze around anything to eat my fish tank stands.).

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Finally some shots of Momo!

Click here for the full 700x467 image.

Hiding on my bed.

Click here for the full 700x591 image.

So utterly cute. He scored some huge brownie points with my mom by hopping over to her to get pet. He usually ignores her.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have some weirdo buns when it came to bonding. Momiji was fixed, but Cowslip wasn't, and I only found out Cowslip was a male when pulling "her" from Momo in what I thought was a dominance hump. No, it was a Sex You Up one, and there was the rabbit penis. Whoops.

But they never fought once. I intro'd them in the living room, kept Cowslip in a cage when I was not home (Mo had free run of the house), and when I came home and let them together, Mo might try a half-hearted hump, and then they'd just sit and eat or run around.

It's cute now to see Cowslip, twice the size of Mo, be the "boss bunny" and clean Momo, but I think Mo's the boss in reality; he eats first and gets the toys first, always.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm in a similar situation with my buns---last year they had free range of an entire house (when I moved, I did discover that unlike Mo, who never chewed on anything, Cowslip cut through a shitlot of wires, including THREE phone cords I thought he couldn't reach), and now they are in a three-story cage. Mo and Cowslip don't get much out-of-the-cage time, since I work two jobs, and when I come home at night, I try and take Mo out for bed play; he enjoys hopping around, getting brushed, and then stretching out on the bed like he owns it.

Cowslip, any time I try to remove him from the cage, he panics, and once did that rabbit scream of alarm, so I leave him alone. He does like being petted, but taken from the cage at all, and he tends to piss himself stupid. I can't see what bothers him so much!

I'm just super petrified of finding them another home; craigslist in Phoenix is full of rabbits in need of a home, most with a low to no rehoming fee, and there's a ton of large snake owners around. :(

What makes me feel very selfish is that before I moved, my mom knew an elderly couple who had lost their last rabbit, and they would have been happy to take my pair. I refused, because damnit, they're my buns, and I love them, and Mo had finally come out of his shell and was actively playing with me...

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I remember when I was about to move from the zoo, my boss offered to take the rabbits from me for a Peter Rabbit display in the small mammal building. I turned him down....come to find out later that he picked up 2 female buns for the exhibit, and they were fed to some snakes in the reptile building when the room was needed.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bunway Airlines posted:

I'm really sorry you're in this situation. If you are really feeling like you can no longer care for them then try your best to find them a good home. Interview people, make them sign a contract or whatever makes you feel comfortable. There are probably rescues in your area as well; you should contact them and put your buns on the list. They usually have a few month waiting period. Also contact your local chapter of the house rabbit society.

I was looking at the local rabbit society, but it's somewhat a sad situation when the rabbits they had up for adoption over a year ago are still there, listed on their web page. Of course, these are also the same people who refused to let me adopt a male fixed rabbit, when Mo was neutered already.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
GAH!

I was petting Mo today (finally got him out of the cage, he was running whenever I'd crack it open) and the inside of his left ear is cracked and PINK. I don't see any mites, but I did see him shake Cowslip away from cleaning it. What the hell usually causes pink rawness, all scratched up, on the inside of bunny ears???

Speed edit: Cowslip's ears are both fine.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Score one for EAR MITES!!!!!!

And $250 dollars later, a vet check and ear cleaning for Momiji, and medicine for him and Cowslip (Cowslip did NOT appreciate me putting drops in his ears, much less the mite medication). I was so so drat happy it was under $300, but the vet tech looked kinda worried when she told me the price.

Maybe because on the paperwork I filled out, there's a section where you mark off Child/Family Member/Pet. I marked off Pet, even though Mo is a family member, but he's a pet as well, and AS a pet, he's entitled to me fully, and I am wholly responsible for him. A family member you can leave in a nursing home.

Funny thing was that Mo was very friendly to everyone, not even peeing on the vet table, and when I'd close his carrier door, not latching it, he'd push it open again and look around for pets.

And to think, all this time I thought a rabbit grinding his teeth softly meant he was happy. :( Feel free to crucify me, PI....the vet said that's the sound a rabbit makes when he's in pain. So this has been going on for a while, and I thought Mo LIKED me petting and rubbing his ears and head. :( He never pulled away!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pipkin posted:

Ive never seen this before and I guess I dont understand. Do they treat them differently by what you consider your animal?

No, but I guess the staff thinks if you don't mark down that your pet is your babychild, you won't opt for the most care.

EDIT: I realize I need to ask the vet too, but aren't ear mites species specific? I've checked my cats and dogs and don't see any signs of infection there.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Day three of medications.

Mo's ears are clearing up, but I'm wondering how the hell I got these mites in the first place. The buns don't go outside, I only have the two, and the cat and dogs don't come into contact with them. So....where?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Dude, that rabbit sounds more awesome than most people's dogs. :(

A small consolation: finally got some shots of Mo and Cowslip that suck less than usual (drat fast camera shy rabbits)! They were not happy that I was bothering them so soon after treat time and before bedtime.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

GAH EVIL FLASH!

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Very blurry shot of Cowslip's awesomely colored eyes.

Working on a new cage for them, but the ones I've tried to build Cowslips knocks down asap, even with a thousand zip ties, and he, for some reason, likes this four story ex-chincilla cage. Mo's about the perfect fit for it, Cowslip, not so much. :(

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I never noticed it at the zoo, since I had tile floors and swept daily to keep scorpions out, but Momo loving sheds BAD. He's a shorthaired lop (little ears = mini-lop?) that I got as a rescue from a friend a few years ago. He does love getting brushed, but is he missing something in his diet if he keeps shedding? The fur is always gray, and he's a brown bunny.

Cowslip continues to ignore me and will take treats, but otherwise would, I suspect, be just as happy if I died and the cat and snakes ate me.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I remember getting Momiji; a friend of mine had recently grabbed him from a neglectful home (his meth-head sister-in-law's), and since my friend had a boxer puppy, it was a very high stress place for Mo. So my friend called me to see if I would like him. Oh boy, a 4 or 5 year old poop machine!

Even as a kid, I was never into rabbits. I liked my guinea pigs and small mice and rats: animals I could hold. But I felt sorry for the bun, and figured if it didn't work out, gently caress, I worked at a zoo then, someone would take him! So I take Momiji home (about a week later I ended up with a rescue cat, so Xmas 2 years ago was very full!). And at first he stayed in his cage most of the day; he didn't trust me and would run, and since the cat CJ was new, I tried to keep them separate. I distinctly remember chasing the poor terrified Momo around the house with a broom, trying to keep him from CJ, and the cat running as well (away from me!).

But then one day I figured gently caress it, if he gets out of his cage again (I still don't know how he did), he's on his own. And once he had free reign of the house, he calmed down a lot. He and the cat got on great (until he started trying to boink her), and he never chewed on anything. He was a demanding little cuss, and would always greet me at the couch when I came home, and wanted to be pet and scratched around his ears. He was never a cuddly bun, but he does still love contact, and if I didn't have carpet everywhere now, and didn't live with my mom and her large dogs, he'd have free range again.

Cowslip would not. He's one of those Look, No Touch rabbits. He hates being picked up, getting his nails trimmed, getting any meds. He doesn't even like being pet. But he does realize now that people give him goodies and treats if they can pet him, so he does sometimes sit still. I got him from a friend who was trying to breed purple-eyed rabbits; Cowslip has blue. Even as a baby he didn't like handling; in hindsight, I could have trained him better to at least take nail clipping! The only other downside is that Momiji is loving crazy about him, and Mo, a tiny lop, is the boss of the much larger Cowslip.

Cowslip's also caused, at my own home, when I lived there, about $500 worth of electric cord damage from everything from fish tank heaters and filters to fans to my phone cord. He somehow shredded an under-tank heater too. Momiji I can trust not to eat anything, but Cowslip seems to like those forbidden fruits the best.

Compared to all my other pets, I have to say that only the sugar gliders were more work. Even my fish tanks are not that much work. The tortoises and exotic crabs are easier.

That said, I love my fuzzbunns, even if they don't care back.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
A year ago, since we moved back home, Cowslip had never been comfy with the limited supervised free-roam of my room, and seems to prefer his cage. I do take them outside in the grassy backyard (cinder block fenced in) and Cowslip does enjoy that, as does Mo.

But recently Mo hasn't wanted to come out of the cage either. I know he has some poop mats from a recent overfeeding of veges, and I need to clean those out, but I can barely get to him; he bolts around, and I don't want to hurt him in trying to catch him in this four tier cage. He does sometimes come when called, but if he realizes I don't have a goody, he hightails it away. :(

Also, am I the only person who never sees her buns devour hay? I have timothy hay and a variety of others, and have it around their cage, but I never see them sit down and munch away. Should I cut out their small supply of pellets (the KayTee timothy ones) until more hay goes missing?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Momiji has decided that he no longer wants out of his cage. gently caress. Cowslip has always been a "human = don't touch me" rabbit, but Mo used to love coming out, playing on the floor, sleeping on my bed, and now he fights if I try to get him out. Their cage is big, but not that big: they both need to get out for exercise, but gently caress if they both don't nearly hurt themselves (and leave me with long scratchs down my arms) when I try.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So my friend called me up with a problem: her bunny, Easter, was in the care of a real idiot pet sitter for a few weeks, and now Easter has dried poop clumped in his butt furr. There's several good sized clumps; we don't know what the sitter fed the bun, but I doubt it was his usual. He's back on his mostly vegetables and hay diet, with some pellets, but she is very loathe to cut the clumps out, worried she'll cut him somehow. Are there any soaker baths that make this kind of poo poo, no pun intended, easier? Easter is a fixed male.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Sweet, warm water bath it is. What the hell do you feed a bun to get poop trapped in his short fur? He was getting pellets and veges and the hay stack was down, so he had to have eaten some at least...but I wonder what "treats" he got.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yay, spring is nearly finally here and the side of the house is clear and fenced and walled off for Mo and Cowslip. But the place is coated with loving weeds. We don't spray, and I don't think the neighbor does, but do I need to worry about the weeds being toxic for my buns, if they decide to chew them up?

And apparently Momiji is cool with mice. We have a mouse room in the house, and once in a while we get an escapee. Most we catch, some the dogs do, or the cat does; one very smart mouse took up residence with the rabbits. I don't know where he was during the day, but come night he was racing from level to level and eating whatever the rabbits didn't touch. Mo didn't even look at the mouse; Cowslip was on my side for once and would chase the drat thing away. Finally caught the mouse, and no harm was done.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Cowslip remains a standoff bun, who doesn't want to be touched at all, so clipping his nails is a pain in the loving rear end. I still have a four inch scar on my hand from him.

The buns are in a four-tier cage, and I'm wondering about moving the cage around some, so it fits partially in my closet. Take down the closet doors, and then use those metal-wire-cage-building-block things to fence them in, so they have more runway room.

The time to take them outside, in AZ heat, is coming to an end. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
A few months ago, I started looking for a home for Momo and Cowslip. It wasn't anything set in stone, but after some deliberation, it just was not fair to keep them penned up in their cage, when a better home became available a few weeks ago. Cowslip refused to leave the cage, and Mo didn't like being out without him, and taking them outside for grazing is impossible when it hits 100 degrees plus by 10am.

So they're going off to Prescott, a town about an hour's drive from mine, where even the summer heat barely breaks 90 degrees, and they'll have an indoor area, plus a large outdoor run. My friend, who was looking for a dwarf lop (which Momo is), was very happy when I told her about Mo, and warned her about Cowslip being offish to people. We have an arrangement that if it doesn't work out, I'll take them back and try to find another place for them. My friend had had rabbits before, and I have good hopes for them with her.

It breaks my heart to see them go, Mo especially, but it's not fair to them to be penned up so much, and my mom understandably doesn't want them free-range on carpet (and considering all the cords Cowslip destroyed when we lived at the zoo, it's a valid point), and it is not safe for them with my mom's younger cat Tako, or the dogs that were here way before the buns moved back home.

I feel somewhat of a failure, because I can't keep them, but I'd rather they go to a good home than remain in their pen and never get out for safety reasons. My mom was surprised at the news, especially that I'd been secretly looking for a good home for them months ago, but she understand it's for the best.