Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
Bowser used to love nibbling on pant legs while people were sitting on our toilet. Cracked us up, but she really wanted to be petted while you did your business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Foaming Chicken posted:

UGH

My stupid rabbit bit the tip off of a plastic (needleless) syringe as I was I giving him oral antibiotics. I tried to get it out of his mouth and had zero success. He just get grinding away, getting more and more pissed off at me.

Please tell me my stupid rabbit is not going to die.

Ha! I'm actually amazed this never happened with Bowser or my foster buns. He'll probably be fine. Just watch his eating and pooping and if there's any change, take him to the vet.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

alucinor posted:

Apropos of nothing, I have a bun at the vet being diagnosed for head tilt. This should be fun.

Hooo boy. Good luck.

Our experience with E Cuniculi and our foster bunny ended up being pretty easy with no lingering symptoms... hope yours goes as well.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
I was told that before she was dumped at a pet store, Bowser had been a classroom bunny for either a pre-school or kindergarten. I'm pretty sure that's why she was so loving fearless- after being cooped up in a cage surrounded by loud children, nothing could rattle her. She was also super good with kids.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Bean posted:

So I walked into the room today, and Camille was head first into my tea. She got so pissed when I took her cup away.

I figured there wasn't anything too bad in a cup of caffene free, sugar free tea, especially for an animal known for stealing drinks of alcohol. (Pepper will cut you for a sip of wine. Of course, she never gets any.) A quick Googling later revealed:

http://www.rabbit.org/health/liver.html

Apparently green tea helps with a bunny's liver. I called my vet, and they're curious too, so they were going to look into it and call me back. Opinions?

Camille's so enamored with my tea that it would be neat if it were true.

Interesting.

Out of curiosity, was there licorice root in the tea you were drinking? Bowser used to go apeshit for licorice.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Any time I see a photo of a flemish giant, I think "It would be fun to have a rabbit again!"

Then I come to my senses.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Windy posted:

My bun will lick my eyelids. I thought it was cute at first but I think she really just wants to eat my eyeballs. I don't let her near my face now until after shes eaten, just in case.

Bowser used to attack my face after I ate apples, hunting for where the smell of delicious fruit was coming from. One time, she figured it out and bit my lip, only to realize immediately that it was neither fruit nor tasty. I think she was way more horrified by it than I was. "EW, MEAT!"

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

justFaye posted:

One of our buns managed to find and eat part of a Hershey's Kiss. About 1/3 of it has been chewed away, so in theory he ingested that much. Should we call the vet first thing in the morning and go in for an emergency appointment? His energy level is normal and he's currently munching on veg (quite excitedly, as usual). He would have eaten it sometime in the last five hours.

He's fine. Chocolate is not really an issue unless he gorged himself on it.

Skizzles, great to hear about Cinnabun! He really is looking great in the recent photos, and so happy!

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

alucinor posted:

Depends on the rabbit. 23" is more than adequate for one of my big fatties; 48" is barely high enough for one of my agile little girls. You may just have to plan on replacing the first one if it's too small.

Make sure the gate you get doesn't have wide gaps between the slats that she can potentially stick her head through.

Also make sure the slats aren't just thin plastic- we went through 2 baby gates in a pretty short time because Bowser figured out she could just chew right through them. The ones with thick wire behind the plastic worked great, though.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

dopaMEAN posted:

This is what I'm looking at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002JETNS/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

So maybe thin plastic slats? It's really cheap though... I'll see what else I can find for a similar price.

Okay, looks like I found something more appropriate: http://www.amazon.com/North-States-Industries-4610-Supergate/dp/B0002JETOC/ref=pd_sim_ba_2
32 inches, with wire panel, rather than plastic.

Yeah, dont get the first one.

The second one is the one I used for years, and it was great. HOWEVER, be aware that it's a lot taller than most gates and can be really difficult to climb over if you're short (like me). It's also more difficult for a bunny to hop over, though, so there's that.

I used to have really good luck finding gates at garage sales- people don't have many places to get rid of them once their kids are older.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Bowser was a super friendly, snuggly bunny who came running when you called her and never turned down a good petting session.

She was still a rabbit.

Meaning she left poop everywhere, hay dust in even more places, and a trail of destruction in her wake. She wasn't even particularly destructive, as far as bunnies go, but she sure enjoyed books, wall corners, and carpet!

Basically, it goes like this: I have 3 cats. One of them loves to snuggle all the time. One of them rarely likes to snuggle. The other likes to snuggle as long as she starts it. None of them have eaten my walls.

I've had 3 rabbits. 2 of them were snuggly. All 3 of them caused major damage to my belongings and home at some point.

Personalities change from animal to animal in every species, but rabbits by their very nature are difficult. I don't regret Bowser or the foster bunnies, but there's a reason I haven't gotten another.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Glasgow posted:

In not-bitching news: A local family had their house burn down early this morning. They got one cat out, who panicked and bolted, but they know he's alive and hope he comes home, the other they later found alive in the wreckage of the garage. Both dogs died. A firefighter in the house somehow managed to catch their panicked bunny and bring him out unharmed, but he wouldn't eat or poop all day. The family can't afford to take him to a vet right now, obviously, so came in to the rescue today hoping we might have GI stasis meds. Some customers and volunteers gave them hay, carefresh, a litterbox, a carrier, an ex-pen, and some papaya. We put the bunny in a pen with some hay and gave him a belly rub to see if we could loosen him up. We watched him eat a bit and hop around, and prayed for him to poop. The family took their donated stuff out to the car and myself and one of the directors stood watch and finally...what's that? A poop! We open the door and cheer "He pooped!" The family starts to cry and hug everyone in the building. Best poop ever.

Jesus. Congrats on the poop!

...check your smoke detector batteries, guys :ohdear:

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
There's something about fleece, though. Bowser didn't chew on fabric except for a couple of fleece blankets we had, which ended up looking tattered and moth-eaten.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Bunway Airlines posted:

Did you steal my rabbits? :3:

Did you guys adopt the bunnies I fostered a couple years ago?

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

notsoape posted:

I hate posting about the meat herd itt but I saw something today that might be of note to you guys, so I hope you don't mind me posting about it :ohdear:

I was doing the food round and gave a bowl of pellets to one of my does, Ditto (2yr old English Spot). I went away to the shed to get some hay, and when I came back I noticed that she was behaving a little weirdly. She was sitting up on her haunches, waving her arms in the air (as if she were cleaning her nose, but not touching her nose iyswim). Looking a little closer, I noticed there was froth dripping from her mouth. Then, suddenly, she made a very definite vomiting noise and a bunch of saliva shot out. She looked a little startled, but seemed to be 'back to normal' so, after I'd established she wasn't going to drop dead on the spot, I went back inside to google what the gently caress just happened (especially since I'd always read that rabbits were incable of vomiting). This page came up, which was very interesting. This quote in particular -

- was pretty similar to what I had observed. I think she was definitely choking, and vomited to clear her airways.

I've isolated Ditto from the rest of the herd, in completely fresh bedding so I can keep track of poops (everything seemed to be normal in her own hutch though, no tiny dry poops or diarhea or anything). Her butt is clean and normal. When it's light out tomorrow I'm going to take a look in her mouth to see if there is anything going on dentally that might have caused excess saliva that she then choked on (although she is eating normally and has not lost condition). If (touch wood) she continues as normal and doesn't display any further weird symptoms I'm going to assume it was some pellet morsel causing a breathing obstruction.

It was totally surreal hearing and watching her vomit though, when I'd always assumed that was impossible for rabbits. Anyone else witneassed anything along these lines?

Yes, though without the vomit. Twice, years apart, Bowser got a little over-excited while eating a treat of mango and seemingly inhaled some of it. She coughed, drooled, seemed to foam a bit, and then was fine. Scared the poo poo out of me both times, too.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
What do you mean you can't move anywhere else due to cost? Chances are pretty good you'd be able to find another place in the same price range or even cheaper. Hell, my best friend just found a giant one bedroom for $640.

As for the Chicago HRS, they seem to be kind of bitchy there. When I contacted them about the 2 abandoned rabbits my neighbor found in her yard, they berated me as if I was lying about having found them and actually just wanted to dump my pets. I understand that there are plenty of jackasses dumping rabbits on them, but they could treat people less rudely, particularly when the people have done nothing wrong.

Honestly you're going to have a hell of a time trying to find owners or a shelter for them. It would be less work to just pick up and move.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Fenarisk posted:

Part of the issue is that moving out of the city isn't an option since my wife teaches for CPS, and the one bedrooms we've seen anywhere within 30 minutes of where my wife works either A) won't take rabbits and our one cat would be an extra $500 deposit, or B) one bedroom means the cat will always be harassing and stressing the buns.

Nobody I know lives outside of the city, I'm talking within Chicago. What neighborhoods are you looking in? What neighborhood is your wife's work in? Seriously, it sounds like you're being kind of defeatist.

Edit: Ok I don't know what your budget is but these are crazy cheap, in all different areas of the city, and take cats.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2312972728.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2312933598.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2312876089.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2312854334.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2312843163.html

Melicious fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 8, 2011

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Yes. Between moving to a different state, having vets that moved, and being unsatisfied with vets, I switched vets a few times with Bowser. I just made sure to have all her records and everything was fine.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Bean posted:

Camille does that too, but there's a tiny squeak with it.

I've oddly never met a rabbit who got pissy when you clean their cage. My old bunny simply did not give a gently caress. I wait until Camille and Pepper sneak out of the cage, but while I'm cleaning, they hop back in and eat all the fallen hay. They're helping.

For many years, Bowser's "cage" was the bathroom. While she would be running about the rest of the apartment, we'd attempt to clean it- as soon as she saw the broom, she'd bolt back into the bathroom, charging and attacking the broom while grunting loudly. We still have that broom, it's missing like half its bristles.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Kidney Stone posted:

We've got 2 bunnies (and 3 cats) in the household - have no idea of their sex, but they are of the same sex, as none of them are spayed/neutered and nothing have come out of them humping.

You don't even know your rabbits' sexes? Have they ever seen a vet? You really need to fix them.

Kidney Stone posted:

Jesus, you also really need to trim their nails.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

alucinor posted:

There's not necessarily a need to diagnose it if it's not otherwise bothering her. I have an older girl bun who has a slightly blocked duct which gets totally blocked and gives her a weepy eye four or five times a year. The first time, the vet flushed it; the time after that he said it was probably the result of scarring from an old infection. He told me I could just let it be, but to clean her face if it started matting her fur, and to come back if the color/intensity/persistance of the drainage changed.

I had pretty much the same thing with Bowser. She had an intermittently runny eye for the last 4 years of her life. Didn't bother her any, and she always appreciated an excuse for extra grooming.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Foaming Chicken posted:

He died in my arms before I could get him to the vet.

I'm so sorry to hear that. :(

The same thing happened with Bowser. We were in the car on the way to the vet when she died. I felt horrible about it, but we did all we could and so did you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

luscious posted:

Finally got the Panacur (banana) and she looooves it. We are getting really good at medicine / food / water time. I'll spare you all the details of angling her / whatever else (but if you do have a bunny with head tilt message me and we will talk okay) but I will tell you that she loves to be held / cradled by me while she lays on her back and gives herself a full bunny bath. Apparently trancing doesn't apply when a bunny has head tilt. I rest her against me and after she is done eating she takes her time to use me to give herself the leverage to clean up. She even rubs her cheeks down with her paws.

Still moving around, eating more, drinking more, seems alert and aware, broke out of the cage earlier today.... still has the power of Satan on her side.

We had a foster bunny with terrible, sudden head tilt. He ended up making a rather miraculous full recovery- never would have guessed he ever had a problem! Hopefully your girl will fare as well.

Our guy loved his meds, too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggmxcb2nOjo