Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

In my spare time I hypnotize bunnies.

DOOM Rabbit posted:

I have a cheap walmart one. Most of the fur just sticks to the front of it but then you can wipe the fur off the front and it's that much more fur that's not in the air, carpet, etc. I'd like to know if one of those ionic breeze things work...I always wanted one of those.

We had one growing up, it was always getting covered with nasty dust and dirt you never knew was in the air. I have no idea how it would do with animal hair, we had dogs and cats at the time, but I don't remember it reducing the hair that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

ShadowCatboy posted:

How often do you bathe your buns and clean their little paws? What soaps are safe to use?

Any methods on training and discipline? How do you punish your buns or say "knock it off" when they do something naughty? I've heard you can make a loud noise, use a spray bottle, or put them in a time-out box.

Like alucinor said, you shouldn't have to clean them unless they got into something or your cage is too dirty.

Again, like alucinor said, you can't. They don't understand it, you just have to make their environment where they can't get into trouble.

A time out box? Wtf. No animal understands "time out" ...some children don't even.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

angelicism posted:

What exactly is my bun trying to do when she licks my pillow? I get the digging at my clothes, I get the chewing on my drawstring pants, but I can't imagine what behavior is emulated by licking a pillow. It's not damp, and it's just a plain medium threadcount pillowcase.

Both mine do this, I find it hilarious. I'm guessing they're licking the salt from sweat perhaps? Gross, but hilarious. I had a video of Lucy doing that on my phone, but it disappeared when the phone died.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

decaf.tihs posted:

So I've had her for 6 months now. She was 6 months old when I adopted her. Is a nail trimming in order?

I would guess so, mine need a trim every 6 weeks or so.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

decaf.tihs posted:

I don't have the clippers to do it and she's generally pretty cranky if I even try to grab her by the chest. As soon as I lift her off the ground she fidgets uncontrollably and runs away! I think her nails are pretty far grown, but would it be a huge problem to wait a little longer when we take her to the vet?

Well it depends on how overgrown they are and when you're going to the vet. If they're so long she's walking on the nails more than the feet it can be very painful.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I'm curious - how often does everyone else's rabbit get slightly yellow paws? We clean our rabbit's litterbox a lot but it's his favourite place to be, so our bunny often has them. They're not deep yellow, just a tinge of yellow since his fur is white. I've just assumed it's normal, but is it not? Is it bad for him?

My poor Jack came with VERY yellow paws, but he was neglected before. It's been a year, but they're still stained a slight tinge of yellow - I hope over time it will eventually go away completely.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

ShadowCatboy posted:

Also, a question about litterboxes: What sorts of nice, absorbent litter matter are safe for bunnies? I know shredded paper is quite normal, but I was thinking of something along the lines of wood chips.

I use Yesterday's News and love it. You'll get ripped off if you buy it for rabbits or ferrets, go to the cat litter section and get the unscented kind. It's the same and you save a ton of money.

I know some people like Feline Pine too, I didn't think it hid the smell well at all though.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

ShadowCatboy posted:

That's safe? What if they eat it? :confused:

It's just recycled newspaper compacted into pellets. None of mine have ever had any interest in eating it. You can't shred it, it's quite small, and doesn't smell tasty. Don't really know why they would want to eat it.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

alucinor posted:

litter-related words

I'd love to find that Cell-Sorb stuff, any suggestions?

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

So I got some cinder blocks to put in the corners of the buns' cage so they will stop pulling their pen off their rug and onto the real carpet. Ever since I have done this, Lucy just seems mad at me. This has been going on almost 3 weeks now. She stomps all the time, she just seems like she hates me. I expected them both to be a bit miffed at the situation at first, but I figured they'd get over it. What should I do? They've already ruined all chances of me getting my deposit back because they've destroyed 3 parts of the brand new carpet by digging/chewing it up.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

alucinor posted:

Get a couple of big picnic blankets - the kind with one waterproof side and one softer side - and lay them out on the floor. They'll get more exercise than on a bed, and the carpet will be safe from pee.

Yeah, I use these under the rabbits' carpet. You can flip them over so they will have more traction on the softer side, but if he pees it won't soak through.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

DS at Night posted:

Nope not neutered yet. Since there aren't any negative health consequences (that I know of) for a male rabbit, I wasn't in any rush to get it done as long as he wasn't being aggressive. He might be a hairy little barracuda sometimes but in some ways I think I lucked out. No territorial macho crap, very friendly, no horrible smell, and has never peed outside of his litterbox...

How old is he? If he does start the territorial marking, remember that you will still probably have 6+ weeks of that after you get him neutered before the behaviors completely subside. I would go ahead and (s)nip in the bud, before it gets out of hand. Spraying rabbits are not one bit of fun. I was still finding pee months and months afterwards, not having any idea how pee could of ben sprayed there from my 2 unneutered males i fostered.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

I keep a fan on my buns, but I don't know if it's recommended. Try getting a marble or ceramic tile for him/her to lay on to stay cool. Freeze a 2 liter water bottle for her to lay next to. You can check to see if your bun is overheated by the temperature of their ears...if they feel hot, the bunny is most likely hot...same goes for cold.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

So like I've posted before, I got 2 kittens within the last month (gotta love kitten season). They've had minimal contact with the bunnies. Jack is indifferent about them, Lucy is TERRIFIED. She stomps, she runs, she hides. I feel so bad for her. Will she ever be comfortable with them? I'm timid to let them out together because the kittens are kittens and I dont want them to try to roughhouse with the bunnies like they do with each other. Would it best to just keep them separated until they are older and then go through the introduction process or work on it while they're little?

I can't wait to perhaps one day have a house with kitties and bunnies running freely together.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

angelicism posted:

Is human food (or some human food, even) supremely bad for bunnies or are there some things that are okay, just not great?

Zen gets really curious when I'm eating, and I've given her a nibble of rice or crackers (no meat; I have a pretty good idea of where bunnies are on the food chain) but my friend mentioned that people think a little chocolate is TOTALLY fine for a dog and it's really awful for them, so I thought I'd ask. :/ Hopefully I haven't made her sick. Zen adores a nibble of Ritz cracker, and will crawl all over my lap to try to get another taste. (It's unbearably cute, but of course I'll stop indulging her if there are real adverse effects.)

Yeah, little nibbles won't hurt. Seconding the steering clear of meat, dairy, and sweets. My rabbits LOVE LOVE non-quick cooking oats (like Quaker). I give them a teaspoon or so every once and while (bunny approved treat given sparingly) and they go crazy for it. If your bun likes crackers, she might like the oats too.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Jack's "private area" fur gets too long and when it does, it causes him to pee all over himself (it's not a UTI). It's a pain to get clip (I actually travel an hour to get the lady I adopted him from to help me). He's good for about 6-8 weeks and then it needs to be done again. She suggested me going to a vet and getting him shaved down there (kinky, huh?) they have to put him to sleep to do it and that makes me nervous. She said it's totally worth it because it lasts like 8-9 months. Has anyone done/heard of this?

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

DS at Night posted:

God, rabbits with their mouths open are terrifying.

Nobody believed me when I told them a yawning bunny was horrifying.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Foaming Chicken posted:

Don't give up on trimming him yourself. I have to trim my fluffball every two weeks or less and it's not that big of a deal. Getting the underside IS the hardest part but if you're only doing his junk I think you could do it in less than 5 minutes.

If you can get him tranced it'll make things a lot easier. I just flip Lewis on his back and tuck his ears between my legs and try to brush/trim fast.

Oh yeah, Jack is the easiest bunny ever to trance out. I guess since he's finally been losing weight he's been able to clean himself thank goodness. I still need to trim him though.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

I know this has been discussed before in this thread. But, there is a good chance my bunnies have fleas. I thought we got rid of all the fleas when we got our new kitten, but we've been finding 1-2 on her each day now. I just assume the other kitten has them, we just can't see them because she's dark. The kittens go in the bunny room when I feed them, and then Jack has been downstairs where the kittens are. So I bet the bunnies have fleas too.

I put a 1/2 tube of Frontline on each kitten 2 weeks ago (vet advised only a 1/2 because they only weigh 2-3 pounds). I split a pack with my friend, but I can't afford right now a whole box ($50-$60) just for my kittens.

I suppose my question is: Should I just wait it out, but a 4 pack of Advantage (when I can afford it) and get all the bunnies and kittens at once and spray my house? Should I not spray my house? Should I buy some flea shampoo and at least wash the kittens and spray the house? No one is seriously infested, but I also know fleas reproduce like crazy.

...stupid little insects

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

I just want to scream. I'm so sick of fleas. I wasted $50 on Frontline (for the kittens) and it did NOTHING. They are still infested. I also just had to get them tested for FIV/FeLV so money is a bit tight. I'm trying not to break into the credit card if I don't have to. In addition to the fleas, I just found out the kittens have tapeworms as well. Is this common in rabbits? If the rabbits get tapeworms, from the fleas, is it easy to treat? On a side kitten note, does anyone have any idea how much tapeworm pills cost? I plan on calling the vet tomorrow. I dont know if they'll be $10 or $100.

My friend got some flea shampoo for her kitten and I'm thinking of borrowing it just to kill the fleas that are immediately on them, just for some itch relief.

I'm just overwhelmed because my live-in boyfriend is out of town for the next 3 weeks and I work EVERY day of those 3 weeks, when will I have time to vacuum every square inch of my house and do 3 billion loads of laundry?

Any advice? Words of encouragement?

Let's say I buy enough Advantage for everyone - (a) How do I know how much to use on each rabbit (I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere) and (b) Do I really need to vacuum under couches, beds, etc? I have no idea how I will move that furniture.

To entice responses, here are the 2 kitten culprits (Panda is the tabby, and Layla is the cow-cat).

(I know this is a rabbit thread, and this post was mostly about kittens...sorry about that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

alucinor posted:

Don't you have sugar gliders too?

No, they now live with a lady who has more time for them :( I hated having to give them up.

I know you're right. I just got tapeworm medicine from the vet today called "Profender" it's a topical treatment that comes in tubes just like Frontline, etc.

I know I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and spend all kinds of money.