Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moraine Sedai
Jan 17, 2006

Nap time yet?

Deceptor101 posted:

Oh and she had a bit of a run in with a cat today while in the yard =(. The cat must have hopped our fence and I just saw her bolting towards me with the cat close behind. Needless to say, I scared the hell out of that cat, but she broke a nail getting away and it was bleeding a bit. Going to the vet tomorrow to make sure everything is ok. She was a bit shocked but she seems to be getting back to normal.

Two things to help prevent this: 1) Always check the yard before putting bun down for play and 2) if your yard is too large to really keep a good eye while she's out, block some of it off and let her just explore a safe area. You could whip something up pretty inexpensively that is also collapsible so you can put it off to the side when not in use if you like. :) Plus if you do this, it's easier to catch her again. ;)

Another thing you can try when you need to catch her is to have her favorite treat ready and bribe her to come to you. :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moraine Sedai
Jan 17, 2006

Nap time yet?

Hanpan posted:

I got my girlfriend a bunny for our anniversary... introducing Pickle!

Pickle is pretty cool, she likes being held and eating anything and everything. She hasn't quite got the hang of using the litter tray yet, which is a shame because the rug can't take much more punishment :(

I don't suppose any can tell me what is wrong with her ear from those pictures... one of Pickles ears will stand upright almost constantly and looks as though it is broken because it doesn't rest naturally like the other.

That is SUCH a gorgeous bunbun! :D drat that makes me want one again!

As to the ear, she very well may have broken cartilage that is causing the ear issues. You need to find a vet near you that can properly deal with buns anyway, so call around and, when you find one, take her in for a wellness check (to make sure she doesn't have a heart murmur or other oddities) and to check that ear. You may have to pay a little closer attention to it and clean it out from time to time depending on how it lays.

Otherwise, some buns just have floppy ears, some are straight and some have one of each.

If you got her from a *boo hiss* pet store, some rotten kid or idiot adult might have grabbed her ear and broken the cartilage, but a vet check will tell you if it's anything to be concerned about.

Moraine Sedai
Jan 17, 2006

Nap time yet?

Deceptor101 posted:

Well, I have all routes of escape blocked off in the yard with patches of chicken wire, and I really had checked out the yard, but cats can climb 6 ft fences :(. I was thinking about a pen, but she seems to really enjoy the different levels and hiding places that the whole yard gives her. I've taken her out about 40 times and this is the first cat, so we'll see. Or I can just kill the cat, I mean, umm.... pet it.... yeah :-p. I've actually got a small pen, but it's only 6 feet in diameter and she really loves sprinting.

Oh! I didn't mean to imply you don't check your yard. I just know sometimes we all get a little lazy or in a hurry and don't always double check things.

As to ridding yourself of the darling feline who only wanted to be fwiends wif your bunbun (yeah right) instead of "petting" him, you can look into some deterrents. Someone mentioned mothballs in a thread a while back to keep strays away from their house. Since I'm assuming your yard is fenced in, perhaps if you drop some mothballs around the outside of your fence (where bun can't get to them, but the smell should deter the cat) and see if that does the trick.

That or put a lawn chair out in the middle of the yard and have a squirt gun or even a garden hose ready and if the little sneak pops a head over the fence, hose it down. :P

Moraine Sedai
Jan 17, 2006

Nap time yet?

Chiken n' Waffles posted:

So I took Severus into the Vet today and after surgery I got a call and the Dr. said that he went in and couldn't find anything. Severus is supposed to be about 6 mo.s old, so, as I haven't talked to the Dr. yet I'm tripping out. Maybe he's too small or hasn't grown enough? I don't know, but I'm really worried. They did say over the phone that they aren't sure if it's a boy or a girl either, so I don't know what is up. But I love my rabbit so much I don't want him to be internally mangled, which is what I'm worried about, since we got him from a shelter to save him. :(

I would be concerned about a vet that can't distinguish between penises and vulvas. I'd be taking my pet elsewhere. Rabbits aren't like birds where sex is difficult to determine.

Moraine Sedai
Jan 17, 2006

Nap time yet?

alucinor posted:

If the bunny is actually very young, so young that the testicles haven't descended, it *could* be possible to make this mistake. Most people think "if it pops out it's a boy, if it doesn't it's a girl", but in bunnies BOTH have something that pops out. But a vet should know this and be able to distinguish by shape, I would think. :raise:

This page has links to fairly high-res pictures showing the difference.

I've had techs and staff at both vet clinics and at shelters tell me "these rabbits are all boys" (because all of them had something that looked like a tiny penis) despite the CLEAR difference between the ones who had GIANT BALLS and the ones who didn't. Similarly, they've told me "all these guinea pigs are girls" because NONE of them have an obvious penis, again discounting the GIANT BALLS on half of them. :downs: But I've never had a vet not be able to tell the difference.

Very interesting info there, thanks! :) I've never seen the pics of both like that and that will be helpful in future if I can ever get another bun. :)

And yeah, I was mostly thinking that at six months surely they would be able to tell the difference. And not that the vet is "bad" necessarily, but may be unfamiliar with buns and I think it would be advisable to switch to a vet who knows more about them. :)

Moraine Sedai
Jan 17, 2006

Nap time yet?
I don't know much about walking buns, but if you are going to, I'd suggest a harness/walking jacket if you can find a good fit as opposed to a collar/leash.

Otherwise, as chill as your bun is, I don't see why it would be a bad thing as long as you are ALWAYS on the lookout for loose dogs, etc. that could rush your bun and maul it.

Moraine Sedai
Jan 17, 2006

Nap time yet?
Instead of soap, would something like Bitter Apple spray or even using distilled white vinegar work? I know that works for most puppies and kittens when they get into the "test everything with your mouth" phase.

Moraine Sedai
Jan 17, 2006

Nap time yet?

Queen of Roses posted:

Thank you SO MUCH, alcinor. You are fabulous. As soon as my guy gets home I'm showing him Sugar and Spice; I think I'm in love. :3:

For the rest of you, look at these guys: http://www.spcawake.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Adoptable_Other_Animals
They're the buns right underneath the snake picture.

awwww! QofR, they are soooo adorkable! :D And they look like they are in wub. ;)

yep. I get stewpid over cuteness like that. :P

Moraine Sedai
Jan 17, 2006

Nap time yet?

TheDeadKnow posted:

More poo poo developments in my moving back home.

My stepdad apparently won't be out of the house as soon as the plan went, hence the rabbits won't be able to have an outdoor play area for perhaps as long as a year. :( Which means that Momo and Cowslip, used to having the entire living room to call their own, will be stuck largely in their cages (or cage?) since they can't be trusted on the carpet. I'm worried that this won't be fair to them; they are used to running around all the time, and I won't be able to build an enormous cage (should they each have their own?) anywhere near the size of their current territory. I'm also worried that in smaller grounds, they may fight.

What to do?

Can you build upwards as opposed to out?

Moraine Sedai
Jan 17, 2006

Nap time yet?

girlscoutdropout posted:

He probably is, from what I've been told, willow kind of give bunnies a buzz.

Isn't willow where natural "aspirin" comes from? If so, this would make sense that it would give them a kindof "buzz" or overall "good" feeling. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moraine Sedai
Jan 17, 2006

Nap time yet?
Indeed it is...

http://www.anniesremedy.com/herb_detail62.php

;)

I remembered reading something about willow bark tea a few years ago as headache remedy so I looked it up. :)