Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ritjet
Feb 20, 2006
I'm sailing!
This is Belle. We got her yesterday. We're definitely new to the house bunny world. From what we've been told, she's a 5.5-week-old Holland Lop. She doesn't look as puffy as the pictures I've seen of Holland Lops. Right now, she's a unicorn. She has her initial shots. Should I take her in sometime soon just for a check-up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritjet
Feb 20, 2006
I'm sailing!

Windy posted:

That is a CUTE bunny! From the looks of it, you'll need a larger cage soon. As far as the vet is concerned, it's always a good thing to find a vet and schedule an appointment to at least meet the doc and introduce him/her to your new bunny. Better to familiarize yourself now(to decide if you like the vet) than to wait until an emergency pops up.

I don't know if you can see it in the picture, but she has a pen (made out of unassembled wire cubes) that surrounds that cage. We took the door off so she can go in and out.

She has learned to use the litterbox, but only uses it intermittenly for pooping. Just now, she left me a nice little pile to clean up.

I think she's a happy bunny. She lounges like that anywhere she can. She started binking yesterday once I got her pen up. It's probably because she likes to watch me clean up her messes.

ritjet
Feb 20, 2006
I'm sailing!
Here's another picture of Belle. Her other ear finally lopped. When she gets that crazy hair up her butt, that ear goes straight up.

We were told that she was 5.5 weeks old (7.5 weeks now). If I took her to the vet, would they be able to tell how old she is without my saying anything?

ritjet
Feb 20, 2006
I'm sailing!
I have a huge question.

I am moving back to my home state in December. It will be a 8-hour drive. I need to know how to transport my bunny comfortably. I was planning on using her old cage instead of sticking her in her small carrier. Getting rid of her is definitely not an option. Any suggestions?

ritjet
Feb 20, 2006
I'm sailing!
I drive a VW Jetta. The only things that are going to be in the car with me are my electronics because it'll be too cold for those to be in the moving truck. Those things can fit in the backseat.

ritjet
Feb 20, 2006
I'm sailing!
We haven't called Belle by her name. She has always been, "Bunny bunny bunny". She does respond to, "Come here," with kissy noises or the sound of the fridge door opening.

I've learned to brace myself for bunny impact when I open the fridge when she's out of her cage.

ritjet
Feb 20, 2006
I'm sailing!
Would there be any reason why a rabbit would be scared of clementines or any orange-like fruit?

I was eating one and offered a wedge to Belle. She acted like I had introduced a hawk to her. She slinked around like she was terrified and would stamp her foot. I figured that it was maybe a noise that happened at the same time as the wedge offer. So I offered her another piece, and she went running at full speed to her cage.

ritjet
Feb 20, 2006
I'm sailing!
To all who have actually bonded rabbits, what made you do it?

I thought about getting another one, but Belle always acts like an independent bunny. I like her personality already. I'm afraid that it might change if we try bonding her.

Is it absolutely necessary to bond rabbits or can they live long lives without a bunny friend?

ritjet
Feb 20, 2006
I'm sailing!
That's what I thought when I saw your pictures of Pixel-Pon. She looks like she has the same attitude as Belle and the "I am Queen, bow before me" look.

ritjet
Feb 20, 2006
I'm sailing!
I'm with you, okiecompy. I want to get a friend for Belle now.

Has anyone worked with House Rabbit Society of Chicago? That's the closest rabbit rescue to my location. That would be nice if they did bonding there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritjet
Feb 20, 2006
I'm sailing!
We recently moved across the country with our rabbit. We had sedatives from the vet on hand but didn't have to use any. She made it without a problem.

I think she's pretty comfortable in the new place.

Click here for the full 808x539 image.