Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Corridor posted:

God rabbits are creepy-looking. I can't stand those loving things ever since Watership Down. I swear there's something just really wrong about them.

I think there's something wrong with you considering that much of the world considers rabbits an icon of cuteness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
Is Loaf neutered?

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

girlscoutdropout posted:

If you go to a vet please make sure whoever clips the nails knows what they're doing. I took my bun to the vet and I didn't know the vet tech was clipping the nails and she clipped all of them so short and Lucy screamed. It was horrifying. They all bled. It's been a little over 4 months since that happened and they are just now at a normal length.

Does Lucy have black nails? Otherwise, there's just no goddamn excuse for clipping the quick more than one or two accidents because of wriggling

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

girlscoutdropout posted:

The cubes sold at Bed Bath and Beyond or more like wise mesh rather than the 1 x 1 inch squares like I use for pens. I got those and zip tied them to make a barrier for all the wires under my desk.

I haven't seen these and can't find them on their website - but it's exactly what I need for ferret barriers. Has anyone seen this sort of thing online? My little bastard ferrets are sometimes able to get through the holes of the regular panels.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Foranzan posted:

well, to be quite honest I'm having trouble with their litter boxes. they both use the same corner of their cage, but they also push the box out of that corner whenever I put it there (I put carefresh in and up around it as well).

And of course Enid, who loves to dig, digs and it gets everywhere.

Not sure how I can "force" them to use the box.

It took me a year to believe it was over
And it took me two more to get over the loss.

Have you considered punching/drilling a hole into the boxes, then tying or clipping them to the side of the cage? I've done that in a couple of spots for the ferrets. Also, one person who surrendered ferrets to me put heavy duty velcro on the bottom of the litter boxes and on the floor of the cage.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
My parents bought me two bunnies when I was a child, and they were kept outside, in a hutch inside a shed. At some point, the rabbits "went away"...I'm pretty sure my parents sold them for meat. Everything I do in regards to animals now is almost the polar opposite of what my parents told me.

I haven't had rabbits since, though I've had just about every other animal. I'm not terribly drawn to them and most of my time is taken up by ferrets, cats and dogs. However, today there was an ad in a local-ish Craigslist from someone who needed a home for her bunny for a few months. I offered my house as a last-ditch situation, since I don't think I can offer as much out of cage time as she should get, but it'd still be better than going to a shelter or being put to sleep, as long as the owner really comes back to get her in a few months.

The rabbit is 4-5 years old and I'm not sure if she's spayed or not, though I did ask in my email. I haven't heard anything back yet...I kind of hope she finds another home. I don't need to expand my horizons from ferret to rabbit rescue, especially since their needs are so radically different, but I can't see letting an animal be put to sleep just because the owner is in a tough spot for a little while.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
I don't understand why you'd get rabbits instead of cats. Rabbits and cats, maybe, but you just don't get the cuddle factor of cats with rabbits. Nothing against rabbits, and they're perfect if you don't want an attention whore kitty, but I myself love fuzzy attention whores.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

I am Dan I am posted:

My bun cuddles with me :mad:

If your rabbit cuddles with you on the same level as a cat does (I'm typing with a kitten draped across me), then you have an unusual rabbit. I'm not saying rabbits are bad pets by any means. They're just very different from cats. Just like I love ferrets, but would never trade my cats for ferrets - ferrets bounce about and are cute, but are not terribly cuddly. A couple of my ferrets will let you scratch and rub them and stay with you, but they're the exception to the rule. That's why I have both cats and ferrets. I'd add bunnies to it, but my resources are spent on what I've got already.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

TotalBiscuit posted:

Cats in my experience are, quite frankly, fickle, irritating and often spiteful. They're not particularly loving animals, and pretty much know how to exploit you for what they want at the time and then wander off looking disinterested. Very pretentious animals.

What in the hell are you smoking? I have a kitten purring in front of me, obscuring my keyboard, a Siamese purring on my back, and my 2 year old girl kitty just jumped on my head. They're all about attention and being scratched and petted and loved.

Let me guess...you met cats that go outdoors.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

NMR posted:

When I want something that yowls, fights and drags dead animals into my kitchen I'll get a cat.

Your bunny stays inside, your cat goes out. It's not exactly rocket science to figure out why your bunny likes you and your cat couldn't care less. You force the bunny to see you as its only friend. The cat knows you're a dick.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

NMR posted:

I thought you said you keep your cat inside? Not sure I'm seeing a difference here. Anyway I'm not planning to argue over this. I just don't like cats and that's it.

I do. If you treated your cat like you treat your rabbit, you'd probably get at least similar responses out of them. You do not. You don't like apples because you drop them on the floor. You like oranges because they don't have any bruises on them.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
Are you a vegetarian? (Serious question)

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
Man, you '07s need to chill the gently caress out and remember we're something AWFUL, not somethingfuzzybunny.com. I let it rest, since it turns out that he/she's not actually a hypocrite, just someone I disagree with.

Seriously though, quit being such goddamn pansies.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
You guys are about as rational and reasonable as most rabbits...y'know, the kind of creature that can freak out so badly it breaks its own back and dies? Now that I think about it...try that.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
Just a question: what's a mongler? Please to be getting a dictionary.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Cowslips Warren posted:

What is the best way to clip bunny nails? Mo's are getting a bit long, though for some reason Cowslip's are not. I do have a dog nail clipper for my small MinPins, but even with Kwikstop around, I'm not exactly leaping for the chance to take two flighty rabbits and trim their nails down.

Now, it's been said I don't know anything about anything, but when I worked in a veterinary clinic, we used a towel around the bunny, leaving the bunny sitting normally on the table, with one person holding and one person extending one paw at a time. They are definitely more comfortable that way than being fully put into a burrito, in my experience. Some people learn to trance their bunnies, but I was never given that sort of time in a vet clinic.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
Lionheads are all the hell over the New England Craigslist pet sections. They're cute as can be, but jeez, people. Most people aren't cut out to have rabbits (obviously not talking about people here in this thread/subforum but the general public). A big mane of fur doesn't suddenly make them need less care or chew your stuff less.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
You bunny people are so friggin lucky. I'd love to make a cage out of the cubes, but probably about half the ferrets I've had could fit through a 1x1 opening, believe it or not. Plus I'd have to put a top on, since they climb like little monkeys.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
Unfortunately, not having your bunny spayed is what's going to change her, what with the uterine cancer and all.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

asteroceras posted:

If the risk of predation is low, or you can make it low, bunnies may well have a better life outside than inside (and if the predation risk is low, that skews the average lifespan for your bunnies upwards anyway).
My rabbit is inside with me when I am in the house and in a secure enclosure with lots of grass, shelter and space to run when I am out.

Unless they get parasites, like cuterebra larvae *shudder*.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

alucinor posted:

The only thing to use in the room that's not going to be dangerous is Borax, but I would not let the bunnies have access to it until it's been vacuumed up. But hopefully once you inoculate the hosts, the fleas will leave anyhow.

What about diatomaceous earth? I was told it's safe for animals, only dangerous to insects, and it's pretty inexpensive. I've used it on my ferrets directly when I found fleas and didn't have enough Advantage, and I used it all around my house and disrupted the ants that had been getting in. I don't have bunnies though, so I wasn't sure if it was safe.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

girlscoutdropout posted:

I really am going to try to convince the boyfriend to let me get a dog again. Now we have a new house, with a good sized yard for him/her to play in. The pet policy is under 35lbs full grown. I am wondering what breeds would do better with a rabbit and which breeds are BIG no no (like a beagle...pretty much all hunting dogs). Obviously I would never leave the dog and rabbit alone together, but I don't want the dog seeking out to eat the rabbits constantly.

I think this is a terrible idea. You don't have the money to take care of a sick cat, what would happen if your dog got sick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

girlscoutdropout posted:

I'm not saying this is something I'm doing immediately. I just wanted input.

And you got it.