Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pauliesyllabic
Apr 24, 2006
Lately I've been thinking a lot about getting a bunny (or two). The only thing stopping me right now is the fact that my apartment has an awful lot of cords laying around. More specifically, my entertainment center and computer desk have all of the cords stuffed behind them. Are rabbits really that bad at chewing on cords? Aside from encasing cables in sleeves, is there any sort of spray or other method that would reliably keep them away from that area?

Alternatively, would it be too mean to keep them in a cage most of the day and just let them out for awhile when I'm home? I've got a spot picked out that could fit a decent sized two story cage, so I don't think they'd be too cramped, but I don't want the place to feel like a prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pauliesyllabic
Apr 24, 2006
I adopted a couple of male rabbits a few months ago (Rosencrantz and Guildenstern) and they've always gotten along just fine. Until recently.

(not so)Quick backstory: I wound up with these two guys because they were the only two neutered rabbits at the local animal shelter, and since they shared the same cage there with some others I figured they'd get along pretty well. They did for awhile. It wasn't the tightest of bonds; they never seemed to groom each other, but they did sleep side by side and would often play at the same time. Eventually it came to my attention that there was a mistake, and Guildenstern was never actually neutered (which explained his constantly trying to hump Rosencrantz). So I called up the animal shelter, and had that done. Again, things were fine between the two, up until I had Guildenstern treated for Ear Mites (with Revolution and some antibiotic ear drops). Things were okay for awhile after that, then suddenly they started fighting.

It's been at least two weeks now, and they still fight if they're together for more than a few seconds. I keep them seperated, and have tried my hand at rebonding them, but nothing is taking so far. It's finally to the point where I'm trying to put one up for adoption, but so far there have been no takers. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar situation or has any tips? I'd like to try again with another rabbit, a spayed female this time. Is it irresponsible for me to give one up for adoption and then immediately seek to adopt another? It's just getting a little depressing. They don't seem happy being alone all of the time, but they can't be together either.

Sorry I don't have a better pic. Rosencrantz is on the left, Guildenstern on the right.

pauliesyllabic
Apr 24, 2006
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm a little weirded out because this came on after months of happy cohabitation. I've spent some time on rabbit.org, and the one thing that worries me is the mention that male bonded pairs just do this every now and then. Hopefully that won't be the case with mine.

I think I'll give it another go though. I've got a day off next week I can use to build a small cage next to the one I already have. Hopefully they'll start getting used to being near one another that way. As of right now I'm keeping one in the cage and one in the bathroom, but that's not working out real well for any of us.