Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

This is Laser playing his second favourite game "Licking my clothes"

His favourite game is called "Running around me in a circle like some kind of mad bunny", but that one is harder to capture in a photo.

I got him for my wife for our third anniversary (which was in January) about 2 weeks ago from the RSPCA. We are going back to get a second today. We wanted 2 bunnies to begin with, but the only 2 they had last time were this one, and a massive one that was bonded with a guinea pig.

I am currently trying to work out how to redesign the cage so that the 2 bunnies can sit in separate but equal parts until they have become friends, and I think the best way to do it is to go and by some more cubes so I have more parts to work with.

The cage is currently a 3 level open roofed design:

I'm thinking of moving to something more like:

Laser is confined to a corner of the lounge room until I have been able to sufficiently rabbit proof all my electronic gadgets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

I'm worried that my rabbits are taking too long to bond. We've had Laser (boy) for about 3 months and Binky (girl) for about 2 months. They were spayed/neutered when we got them from the RSPCA. They have a cubes cage that they can see/sniff each other through. We do supervised introductions in neutral territory (generally either the bathroom or kitchen) every few days.

As of a week ago Laser would groom Binky for a significant amount of each introduction time. Then Lazer went through a period of pissing everywhere. He had previously been very good about only pissing in his litter box.

Now when they are introduced Laser will usually groom Binky for a while, then the 2 will face off for a minute or so each trying to get the other to groom them. If Laser doesn't cave and start grooming Binky within about a minute either Binky will take a swipe at him or they will start circling each other and start fighting if I don't separate them quickly enough by placing a washing basket over one of them.

Laser occasionally grooms Binky through the cage. I have never seen Binky grooming Laser.

What can I do to get these guys back on friendly terms?

Here they are: Laser is white, Binky is grey. Just before this photo was taken Laser was grooming Binky through the cage.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

I need some advice.

One of my rabbits has poo matted around her backside and I don't know how to clean it. It has caked hard so won't wipe off easily, and she is skittish and not happy to sit still while we clean her up.

What should I do?

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

girlscoutdropout posted:

I would take them to a vet to get it cut off. You need to go to the vet anyways because their poop shouldn't stick to their butt, it means their poop is soft. Have you been feeding to many fruits? I have a rabbit that will get "poopy butt" if he doesn't get the Timothy Pellets. Just talk to your vet.

Her poo was soft for a couple of days but has since gone back to normal, so I'm not worried about a digestive problem. If we can't work out a way to clean it up ourselves soon we'll get a vet to sort it out.

Edit: Our rabbits diet consists of as much hay as they want, which is a lot more for Binky (with the poopy butt) than it is for Laser (who is clean), a variety of vegetables, and occasionally a piece of orange. We might be overdoing the orange a little, but it hasn't been a problem. Recently my wife made a batch of plum sauce so the current problem was probably caused by them getting more fruit than usual while that was going on.

Urcher fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 5, 2008

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

It's pictures time.

This is Laser. Laser has been :dance: lately.

This is Binky. Binky has been :3: lately. Binky had to be taken to the vet to get her bum shaved. See previous page for details. Only cost $16.50 to get hair and nails clipped, was happily suprised as we had been expecting it to cost more like $50. Turns out the vet nurse owns a rabbit too.

Bonding is going very well, they can be left alone in neutral territory (the kitchen) all day without fighting, and are up to about 30 minutes in contested territory (the living room immediately outside their cage).

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Posting to say my rabbits (Binky and Laser) have finally bonded. We have had them for 9 months (since August last year), and last night they spent the night together for the first time. Will post cute pics in the near future.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Sponch posted:

I'm going to the pet store with my friend (the rabbit owner's roommate) sometime this week, so we'll definitely pick up a toy or two for her.

My rabbits don't like bought toys at all. Before you spend any money give old phone books, old magazines, cardboard boxes and cardboard tubes a try.

The one industrially produced toy they like is a collapsible cat tunnel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Pardalis posted:

I know rabbits eat grass, but I think a grass parrot is pushing the boundaries.