Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Do rabbits really need water bowls vs water bottles?
because I know that if I put a bowl in there my rabbit with flip it over no matter what.

and the website needs work design/code wise, it was like a blast from the past but fun!

SpaceMonkey fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 24, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006

girlscoutdropout posted:

It's not a life or death matter if they have a water bowl, my bunnies do like to dip their paws in it and clean their face. My bunny tipped every water bowl I had and I eventually bought a large ceramic dog crock. It's about 7-8" round so it's too big for her to turn over. There are some large rabbits that will tip over everything, and for those, you will have you use a water bottle. Maybe if your bunny has access to a place with tile or linoleum you could put the water bowl there so they have access during playtime. Then, if they spill, it will be easy to clean. Just a suggestion.

Of course with alot of things, if you ask 100 different pet owners one thing, you'll get 100 different answers. These are just things I have learned, mostly from the lady I adopted my buns from who has been doing rescue for years and years.

What's it not doing? Everything's working on my browser.

no the website works fine it can just be done with allot less code/work.

And I'll have to keep an eye out for large bowls

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
I got my rabbit from a pet store so he knew what a watter bottle was, not a litter box though.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
Whats a good place to buy those Wire storage cubes from in Canada?

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
any difference between sun dried timothy hay and normal green stuff besides lack of water?

And we got another bunny 3month old female broken lop/dwarf from but she's rib counting skinny yet eats alot (loves banana's of course), taking her to the vet this week but any ideas?

fake edit; our local rabbit breeder for the stores sucks rear end so i wouldn't put it passed the rabbit being ill.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006

TheDeadKnow posted:

Does anyone else have a bunny that doesn't seem interested in toys, or is Momo ignoring his just because his run space is, currently, the entire house? I plan on sectioning off areas soon, slowly shrinking him down, so when we move back to my mom's, it won't be such a shock that he can't rush the entire house down. Will he be more responsive to toys when he has less room to run?

my rabbit had toy's and never used them he has a ball with a bell but i think he just pushes it to get it out of his way. he only likes digging and trying to hump the female rabbit.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006

NMR posted:

At the risk of sounding naive, a manufacturer wouldn't put paint on a rabbit cage that was bad for them would they?

Mine likes putting his mouth around a bar and moving his head from right to left really quickly, makes him look like a hairy typewriter. My rabbit is really weird.

mine doesnt bite the bar just grabs a hold of them with his teeth and shakes them to make noise for food.

edit: my rabbit liked this one toy that was a ball made out of sticks with hay inside that stuck out on one side, only lasted a month till he destroyed it.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
bubbles my something/dwarf buddy:

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
marijuana.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006

girlscoutdropout posted:

That was my guess.

Not to be an idiot, but isn't that harmful?

not really, he only gets some about 3 times a year and properly flushed of all nutrients.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006

Deceptor101 posted:

one thing I've noticed is that Ben doesn't seem to close his eyes during bliss as much as Annie does. Gosh I love buns

Someone needs to keep an eye out for the sneaky human's. :ninja:

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
I'm working on my rabbits name, every time I feed him I call his name so one day he will come when I call him.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
Do rabbits need to eat pellets? I just feed mine hay and veggies.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
if they run around long enough they much eventually lie down for a bit.

my bunny always run around for 10mins rest for 3-4mins, he really likes it when I pet him them.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
posting old bunny pictures, need to take new ones.

Bubbles the rabbit:

not dead just sleeping :)

SpaceMonkey fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 21, 2008

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
Anyone know if rabbits and chinchillas mix well? not for permanent housing but running around together?

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006

alucinor posted:

Words...

Thanks! I let them run around once before I made the post but I will not let them near each other anymore.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006

Deceptor101 posted:

I got mine at a nearby babys-R-US

So my girlfriend called me at work today, after she'd left the house "oh your rabbit is munching on one of those pepper packs from dominoes" Knowing how spicy they are, and that seeds in general are usually the more dangerous part to rabbits, I sped home, and researched it, and gave her tons of the best hay to help push it through. Am I overreacting? I mean those things are really spicy to me? Can rabbits taste spicy? will they eat it until their taste buds disappear? she wasn't eating them when I got home, and she seems fine. Should I worry? Should I go get her stomach pumped? Should I go back to work and just pretend she was eating cardboard?

*I'm no vet* but a tip would be to watch their poop, if it becomes soft and runny then i would seek medical advice, normal poop would be dry little balls that look like nestle quick cereal (mmmm)

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006

PixieRocker67 posted:

Wow! They're so drat cute! I think I HAVE to buy a house bunny.
What's the smell like, just like normal bunnies?

rabbit pee reeks, its a condensed form of hell.
change my rabbits litter box every two days or it will stink.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
your rabbits dont jump out of the topless cage?

sleeping bunny's are cute.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006

Bobblehead Biddy posted:

Ugh, help me PI. Since adding an extension to Houdini's cage, he seems to have completely forgotten that he's litterbox trained. He's pooping and peeing everywhere now. Since the cage is on the floor of my bedroom, I have the bottom and top space where he can jump up lined with old towels. Is this the issue? Or is there any way I can remind him that the litterbox exists? I'm trying to think of a harder surface I can line the cage with, but I'm stuck for ideas.

Probably just marking new territory, or he's lazy like my rabbits and doesn't want to travel to the litterbox.
Try picking up another box for him to use in the new extension.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
I started with one bunny, now I have 3.
first rabbit bubbles, I got young and handled him constantly, only thing he hates is being snatched from his cage for exercise time.
my youngest female bunny buttercup some sort of dwarf mix hates getting scooped up and will grunt/attack(still cute!) if you don't show her who you are.
my newest bunny is a medium sized tortoise lop and is a total cuddle monster.

took them to all get fixed last week for a total of $800, now I'm working creating a blob of bunny's.

lots of work but worth it if you love bunny's.
I'll get some new pictures up when they have bonded.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
Feed my rabbit this pink strawberry goop when he was backed up and stopped eating.
would cradle him on his back petting his forehead, He hates all medicine but I found putting a bit on his lip or just outside his mouth made him lick it off with his tongue.

my other two loved this honey flavored pain medicine from when they where fixed, I just let them lick it off the syringe.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
Any possibility of bonding two females who currently go into Attack mode the second they see each other?

When ever try and fight, one or both release this weird Oder as well.

Right now my one female is bonded with my male rabbit.(almost no grooming yet)

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006

Egad! posted:

tl;dr New bunny, any suggestions? :D

I would cover up the wire bottom and get him a litter box for inside the cage.
pictures show the cage hay less =/

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
could try cardboard, Rabbits will usually pick a spot for food/bathroom, find where he goes the most and plop down a litter box with hay, since the rabbit is new to the location he's just laying down territorial markings.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
Anyone have any tips for bonding two female rabbits that go into insta-kill mode the second they see each other.
right now their cages are side by side somewhat (one cage is higher up), so they can smell / she each other.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006

GoodApollo posted:

Anybody else have buns who just don't seem to care about this? Random but I always think it's weird how mine don't seem to care too much.

Mine only get pissed if you pick them up.
I can move their house around, cages, etc but only picking them up or trying to grab them gets a thump.

Bubbles (left) and Lafonduh (right, wanted to call her twoface) get along during play time.

This is buttercup, who's currently bonded with bubbles. Yet starts fights with Ladonduh.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
My rabbits are shedding like crazy right now, I'm able to pull out clumps at a time but the ends of the hairs are all white.

had one rabbits for 3+ years now and his fur colors/patterns have never changed.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006

scholzie posted:

I put a colander near the ground and filled it up with hay and now he's making GBS threads and pissing in it so I need to come up with another solution asap. I need to find those kitchen organizers fast.

he's gonna crap and piss where the food is at, might as well put all his food in that blue dish with all the rabbit poop in it.
I found a small cat litter box bottoms work too, they come in all sizes.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006

Bean posted:

This is my lock screen. Sometimes I wake my phone up just to stare at bunny kisses:

Does your one bunny also have an obsession with cleaning the others eyes?

Mine does!

I didn't have a pic of the eye cleaning in progress but i hope this works.
unfortunately his kindness goes unreturned a majority of the time.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006

SlippyHat posted:

My girlfriend and I have a dwarf Netherland who loves to make a mess.

my rabbits start ripping up newspaper the second their cage/litter box area is cleaned and are not happy unless it's all in pieces.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006

DS at Night posted:

Okay now he's doing his best to eat the wall. What the hell is wrong with this animal.

They are constantly hungry, every that can fit in their mouths can and Will be eaten!

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006

Levitate posted:

I don't think s/he looks pathetic and vulnerable so much as PISSED

The smaller they are the more concentrated evil is inside just waiting to get out. :ohdear:

My dwarf mix we call crazy bitch(her actual name is buttercup, till we learned what evil lurks inside!), since she's always grunting or trying to attack the second you try to do something she disapproves of.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
Anyone ever have a bunny that Snores?
One of my rabbits (buttercup aka crazy biatch :nyd:)is quite vocal always grunting and snorting at me or anyone that does things that displeases her, along with a furious harmless scratch attack. (how she got the 'crazy biatch' nickname)
But I've noticed when she's sleeping that she makes these snorts and noises every time she is asleep.

I'm gonna book a vet appoint sometime soon for my two buns just for a physical anyway but figured I'd ask if anyone has ever had a bunny that does the same.

fake edit: their bedding is just newspaper and timothy hay and a rubber mat for their outer pen, so dust doesn't seem to be the issue.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006

Skizzles posted:

I may or may not have bought a pen for Cinnabun. I would have gotten the slightly bigger one, but this one had a door I could connect her cage to as well as a cover that would fit the bottom. This way the pen can just be for running around playing, and the cage can be her food/water/potty place.

Nice!
I did the same thing except out of the wire cube pieces and zipties.
works great since they still use their cage as a litterbox.

just need some tunnels or a cardboard box for hiding :ninja:

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006

quote:

I know I need to get Gordon spayed and if I got her a male companion, he would need to be neutered even if she's spayed. She's a 6 pound mutt.
Please give me reasons getting a giant breed as a companion is a bad idea. I can't stop thinking about how nice and hilarious my neighbor's giant is and I've thought of getting her a pal for a long time now anyway.

The male companion would still notice the smell of a female and constantly harass her trying to breed. you could get her a companion but I would defiantly make sure their both fixed.

Remora posted:

I've been looking into getting another rabbit to bond with my dwarf (who, apparently, is defective because he doesn't bite and only destroys cardboard boxes and only pees in his litterbox), and I know someone who is looking to rehome a one-year-old giant chinchilla. Is this a bad idea? Am I asking for trouble trying to keep a 10-pound and a 2.5-pound pair? Should I bother trying the rabbit+chinchilla thing at all? The chinchilla does need to be spayed (the dwarf is neutered), but I have the space to keep them separated for the foreseeable future.

They might be able to become friendly and possibly play together but I would defiantly house them apart.

my dwarf is defective as well, only time she get's angry is if you pick her up or don't put the food down quick enough so she'll either stomp around or grunt at you.
before I got her fixed she would also try to lunge attack with paws of furry but that's pretty much turned into just grunting.

my other dwarf mix is a big lovable softy and loves anything that has to do with him getting affection as my female dwarf doesn't groom him no matter how much he tries.

edit: although they do Love to rip up all the nice neat newspaper i lay down in one side of this large plastic pen bottom i use for their food/water/toilet area.

SpaceMonkey fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006

blinkeve1826 posted:

She gave me a syringe with which to administer it orally, like one you might use with an infant (I don't know why I forgot to mention that), so you might wanna try that--I wouldn't have been able to do it either if I was using a spoon or something. Good luck!

Did the same thing, luckily the medicine came in a syringe and the vet showed me how to do it when they gave my buns their first dose. basically get someone to hold them or hold them yourself. (but that's more tricky) Than insert the syringe in the side of their mouth behind their large front teeth and push down on the plunger.

I have two bunnies and bubbles hates the stuff while buttercup would actually lick it off the syringe as it was banana flavoured, but bubbles could tell it was still just covering up the medicine taste hehehe.