Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
From the Adventure Games thread, a link to an interviewer with the designer of the Discworld games

https://www.timeextension.com/features/interview-john-cleese-told-us-to-fk-off-the-inside-story-of-terry-pratchetts-discworld-games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Liquid Communism posted:

Also surprisingly real-world accurate, if you've ever tried to eat hardtack.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Tasting History youtube channel and his little gag of, whenever he says "hardtack", cutting to the clip where he bangs two pieces together with a hilarious "clonk clonk" has yet to overstay its welcome.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I'm a pretty big fan of the Tasting History youtube channel and his little gag of, whenever he says "hardtack", cutting to the clip where he bangs two pieces together with a hilarious "clonk clonk" has yet to overstay its welcome.

Can't not link it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3VmehJ6Vn0

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Listening to We Shall Wear Midnight by Steeleye Span and it’s giving me the same feeling that reading The Shepherd’s Crown did.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Anyone who's read the biography will be nodding all the way through this article lol

E: that's a great read, I have never played them and it makes me want to have a go (with a walk-through BC I'm sure they are insanely abstruse in that adventure game way)

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

DreamingofRoses posted:

Listening to We Shall Wear Midnight by Steeleye Span and it’s giving me the same feeling that reading The Shepherd’s Crown did.

This song fucks me up every time.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Anyone who's read the biography will be nodding all the way through this article lol

E: that's a great read, I have never played them and it makes me want to have a go (with a walk-through BC I'm sure they are insanely abstruse in that adventure game way)

Discworld Noir is probably the best one. It has some innovative gameplay (the notebook, you can use smell to solve puzzles) and most of the puzzles makes logical sense. The fact that it is an original story also helps.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

quote:

I did ask her because I said, ‘I would like to do a definitive game on the Guards but she said, ‘Unfortunately, they are making a TV show of it’

Ain't that the truth.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Discworld Noir is probably the best one. It has some innovative gameplay (the notebook, you can use smell to solve puzzles) and most of the puzzles makes logical sense. The fact that it is an original story also helps.
Fantastic voice work* for such a tiny cast, too.

*We don't talk about Vimes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Four voice actors for a game with that many characters is just insane.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

sebmojo posted:

The voice acting is distinctive enough that I could recall immediately on seeing one of the article screenshots which old man was voiced by Jon Pertwee. It isn’t always good, mind you, and they probably could have hired more than one woman to do voices, but memorable and generally enjoyable.

OTOH, hearing the phrase “That doesn’t work” read by Eric Idle again might send me into a berserk frenzy.

IMO they’re all worth playing. Discworld 2 is probably the most forgettable, but you can also probably finish it without a walkthrough.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Felt like 2 leaned a bit too hard into "hey we've got Eric Idle" (though I honestly can't recall if they had a lot of references or the ones they did have just went VERY hard), but both of the first two games have a special place in my heart from my formative years even if I agree Noir is probably the better game.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I love that he keeps going back to the same ever older hard tack now and then too, just to prove that it's still sitting around his place getting harder.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
there are clips going around of Star Wars airing on Chilean TV with beer commercials integrated into some scenes and all I've been able to think about is the time German translators inserted paragraphs of soup advertisements into their versions of Terry's novels https://gmkeros.wordpress.com/2011/09/02/terry-pratchett-and-the-maggi-soup-adverts/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's been nine years. I still can't quite believe it.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
GNU Terry Pratchett

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
GNU Pterry. I still remember reading the news at work and the next thing I knew kneeling on the floor sobbing.

AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Monica Bellucci posted:

GNU Terry Pratchett

e. Okay, I've had my moment. I'd just like to say that nobody has taught me more about becoming a better person than Terry Pratchett.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 12, 2024

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
LIVE FAST, DIE YO GNU TERRY

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Today’s always a hard one. :smith:

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I was a teacher at the time and I just remember hearing after my last lesson of the day and sitting at my desk in the shared staff office sobbing my heart out. GNU Terry Pratchett.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Its rather apt I had this Discworld adjacent story sitting in my brain and I finally spent some time to get it out last night.

I was inspired by this photo and in The 5th Elephant we just got to the point where Death is talking to Vimes about the uncertainty principal.

Death usually only made personal appearances for Wizards (per the rules) however this one was an opportunity to try something out.

"Well gently caress" *
AHEM

The decedent quickly turned around to see an 8 foot tall skeleton, draped in a cloak of midnight holding a scythe. The icy blue orbs in his sockets would have pierced the man, if he wasn't already a ghost. And although the face of Death gave no movement he could have swore he was smirking

I GUESS YOU CAN BE TOO STONED
"huh?"
A JOKE, I'VE BEEN TOLD IT MAKES IT EASIER
"I'm dead?"
THAT IS NOT THE JOKE
"So what happens now" and Death told him "OHhhh allright, pull the other one"
the skeleton shrugged put his arm across the mans shoulder and walked into the light
BUT DID YOU GET IT, TOO STONED

*this phrase is among the top 5 phrases uttered immediately after passing, in any language

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Monica Bellucci posted:

GNU Terry Pratchett

GrimSqueaker
Sep 26, 2011

Monica Bellucci posted:

GNU Terry Pratchett

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Dave Syndrome posted:

Reading the book it definitely made me wonder just how much of the last ten Discworld novels or so was actually Rob providing the cement for Terry's bricks. I don't have my books here with me right now, but is he ever credited in some way? I don't remember any "Thanks to" notes in the beginning of the books ever, but that also may be my bad memory. He's definitely flown under the radar for most casual readers.

Just rewinding a bit for the final heartbreaking little detail about the process of Raising Steam:

quote:

‘Who do you want to dedicate it to, Terry?’ I asked him, when the novel was finished.
‘To our fathers,’ Terry said.
‘To your father, you mean,’ I said.
‘No,’ he said, ‘to our fathers.’
For the front of the book, he wrote:

To David Pratchett and Jim Wilkins, both fine engineers who taught their sons to be curious.

I could not have been prouder.

Unseen Academicals is also dedicated to Rob, "who typed most of it and had the good sense to laugh occasionally."

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 14, 2024

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm starting on some Discworld for the first time in a while, with the Death series that I've never read before. Even indifferent Terry Pratchett, which is my impression of Mort so far, still goes down smooth.

quote:

He was determined to uncover the underlying logic behind the universe. Which was going to be hard, because there wasn't one.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Just picked up the series for the first time, just about done with Mort. Not as engaging as the ones before it, but it still has some good moments

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

brugroffil posted:

Just picked up the series for the first time, just about done with Mort. Not as engaging as the ones before it, but it still has some good moments

Strap in.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

brugroffil posted:

Mort is my least favorite in the Death series I think (it's been a while so I can't say that with high confidence but I'm pretty sure)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

If you go back to Mort you might like it less for how it ties in to the later books.

If you read Soul Music carefully, you will realise that Mort actually did die when he was 32 as Ysabell had calculated from the flipping of his lifetimer. And Death would also have known that she would die at the same time. So while Death obviously thinks in terms of lifetimes and inevitability rather than years - when Mort asks about it he says "YOU HAVE SUFFICIENT" - he knew he was sending his daughter to die young. It feels cold from a character who is fundamentally sympathetic in his later appearances.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Do you think that perhaps that story arc, as well as what happens in Reaper Man, might be what causes him to be more sympathetic?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mad Hamish posted:

Do you think that perhaps that story arc, as well as what happens in Reaper Man, might be what causes him to be more sympathetic?

It's more an evolution of how the character was written. Once you get past the first two books where he's pissed off with Rincewind's constant failure to die on schedule Death was always somewhat sympathetic, not a taker of life but a guide to whatever comes after it. And remember that Reaper Man happens before Soul Music, so any reversal of character development actually happens in the later book.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Jedit posted:

It's more an evolution of how the character was written. Once you get past the first two books where he's pissed off with Rincewind's constant failure to die on schedule Death was always somewhat sympathetic, not a taker of life but a guide to whatever comes after it. And remember that Reaper Man happens before Soul Music, so any reversal of character development actually happens in the later book.

I was referring to Death's decision in Mort to let Ysabelle leave even though he knew it meant he'd lose her forever.

Death started doing a lot of things humans do in an attempt to figure out how they worked and why they did the things that they did, but it ended up humanizing him instead.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The ending of Reaper Man destroys me every time. The thread title is from there. It's an amazing book.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

It's such a good book.

I don't think Sir Terry intended to start a new folk custom when he wrote that book, but I certainly know why my Morris dancing group (amid others!) does the Dark Morris. Admittedly we do it incorrectly, but octiron is hard to come by here on Roundworld.

At one point we stole borrowed a dance from a group in the UK which involved sticks and buckets, for a similar reason.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A Moose posted:

The ending of Reaper Man destroys me every time. The thread title is from there. It's an amazing book.

It is the biggest gap between a plot and b plot too, incredibly moving meditations on mortality sticky noted to 80s pastiche action wizards blowing up shopping trolleys

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Is the Penguin Audiobook version of Night Watch available? I can't find it on Audible. (The book titled Night Watch, not the Watch itself.)

EDIT: Is there a version that Americans can listen to?

The man called M fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 20, 2024

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

The man called M posted:

Is the Penguin Audiobook version of Night Watch available? I can't find it on Audible. (The book titled Night Watch, not the Watch itself.)

EDIT: Is there a version that Americans can listen to?

Doesn’t look like the Penguin version is available in the US, the ISIS version used to be (since I have that in my Audible library) but from what I can tell it doesn’t look to be any more? Can’t tell what’s up with that but dang, that’s one of the best and apparently unavailable

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Thaddius the Large posted:

Doesn’t look like the Penguin version is available in the US, the ISIS version used to be (since I have that in my Audible library) but from what I can tell it doesn’t look to be any more? Can’t tell what’s up with that but dang, that’s one of the best and apparently unavailable

What do you mean by ISIS? I don't know if terrorist organizations did Audiobooks on the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

The man called M posted:

What do you mean by ISIS? I don't know if terrorist organizations did Audiobooks on the side.

At the risk of handing it to ISIS. . .