Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Screaming Idiot posted:

I think we can all at least agree that Jack Jackrum is right up there with Vimes in terms of sheer badassery.

"Upon my oath, I am not a violent man!" *stab*

I never got the joke of that line before. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

My Lovely Horse posted:

Incidentally, this is something that completely and utterly fails to work in translations.

I'm told Portuguese translations are Pretty Good but since I don't actually speak/read Portuguese there's a splash of telephone game going on here.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

e: And actually two of my personal all time favorite one-off quotes are from Thief of Time, one for pure comedy and the other for funny-because-it's-true value:

Not necessarily in that order, right? :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

didn't realize that Nation existed

it is Very Good

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

I imagine CMOT Dibbler also found them very very useful.

i didn't realize he had a go at an upscale eatery

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Death having a cameo in every book is one of my favourite Discworld traditions.

"YOU HAVE PERHAPS HEARD THE SAYING THAT HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE." "...Yes?" "IN TIME, YOU WILL FIND OUT THAT IS NOT TRUE."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

dervival posted:

it was actually supposed to be a storm of swords but there was an angelic mishap and they were cut to ribbits instead

probably the same entity at fault that was messing about in the Bugger Alle This printing of the bible

while i appreciate the punnes, or plays on words, i suspect it's more likely this is basically the quasi-oral-tradition version of a typo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Also surprisingly real-world accurate, if you've ever tried to eat hardtack.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Tasting History youtube channel and his little gag of, whenever he says "hardtack", cutting to the clip where he bangs two pieces together with a hilarious "clonk clonk" has yet to overstay its welcome.