Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

freelop posted:

It's being described as a "punk rock thriller"

jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The_Doctor posted:

Production has been paused for obvious reasons.

At least some good news.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Trin Tragula posted:

"Defund the police" and "abolish the police" are about a million miles from becoming uncontroversial mainstream accepted ideas. The entire genre of detective detectoring stories is not going to disappear overnight because the Extremely Online Left has a new slogan.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Alhazred posted:

But the point of the novel is not that that it's a big secret that the regiment is women only. The title of the book alone gives the "secret" away.

the cover too

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

spoilers are a problem only for anal people

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's also plain more funny if there's at least some ambiguity around everyone. The constant reveals of more and more characters as women are funny. You keep thinking, okay, he might be... or he might be... nope they're both. But he surely isn't... yeah he is. Okay but not him yes him. But surely not *everyone* YES EVERYONE

If you go into it knowing everyone's a woman you'll sit there ticking the boxes. Oh okay this is when they reveal her, this is when they reveal her, and I guess here comes the big twist. Boring. Or, at least, can still be fun but any production company should probably avoid making it the default mode of reception for the audience.

how do you think that it would be marketed?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Alhazred posted:

But that's not the point of the story. The "twist" is completely unimportant and it's why it is revealed so early on. It's a story about gender politics and religion, not about ticking of boxes.

for tv tropes folk stories are about ticking boxes

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That's two extra Zs. Because he also pissed off Don Diego de la Vega.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Is Raising Steam worth reading? I've avoided Snuff because I've heard from this thread and elsewhere that the alzheimers, sadly, must have been hitting him pretty hard in that one because it's not that good in general and, worse, a lot of the characters are pretty out of character. I recall hearing that I Shall Wear Midnight was good, though, so clearly the degradation was not linear so yeah. I can't recall what the thread consensus or fandom one was on Raising Steam.

I always felt Thud! speaking of his alzheimers - since I recall that was the first one published after the announcement, I think? - was rather underrated. Then again, I love the Watch and the Dwarves so yeah.

EDIT: And for some additional context on my thoughts on 'lesser' Pratchett; I liked Making Money. I didn't think it was bad per se, just kind of a retread of Going Postal and a bit weaker. Still pretty fun.

it's unreadable

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Phenotype posted:

I never understood the hate for Raising Steam -- it wasn't his best story, and Vetinari in particular seems more of a flanderized Mary Sue than usual, but it felt like a purposeful send-off for the Discworld with a ton of old characters and locations being trotted out for one last goodbye.

The only thing that seemed "off" was that I didn't actually understand how Moist used the golems to prop up the train over that missing bridge. Usually there's an "ah-ha" moment when you figure out the trick, but the way it was presented I wasn't sure what the hell was going on. I thought maybe they'd just have the golems holding the train up or something, but the actual passage was really puzzling, with Moist (or was it Vimes?) going over the edge and tapdancing on nothing.

there's no hate, it's just a bad book

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

BurgerQuest posted:

This - I remember it feeling really confusing because of this. I still think you should read it though, why wouldn't you read every Discworld book?

there's some entertainment in watching bad movies with friends, but there's nothing to gain from reading bad books, which the last ones were

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"What is the best starting point to this incredibly versatile series" is a dumb question to try to answer. (Asking the question isn't dumb because obviously the asker does not know that it's dumb to try to answer it, yet.)

it's mort

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

SirSamVimes posted:

Still lmaoing at young skinny hot vigilante Sybil Ramkin.

and cheery

that show will be so awful

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I was thinking more "New Zealand-Canada-Germany co-production youth TV series".

they are the same thing

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

VanSandman posted:

The magic in a Discworld book is the inner monologue of the characters and the narration. They don't make good adaptations because of it.

agreed, it's not possible to make a good adaptation of his works

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Jedit posted:

Not a hot take: you're so full of poo poo that you don't socially distance, you obey zoning regulations. The Cosgrove Hall animations were good, Hogfather and Going Postal were good.

you are a prime example of a type of people this forum is unfortunately teeming with. you people have built your personality around consumer products, and think that criticisms of the products are personal attacks

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I... what :confused:

What is "American-looking"?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The_Doctor posted:

I’m sorry, but this word gives me hives.

same

and if you want to see other really idiotic words, here's a nice list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_derivatives

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

hanales posted:

Democracy is pretty much a massive failure globally.

ahahaha

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I mean, restrict yourself to the English-speaking world over the last four years and you can make a pretty solid case.

it seems to work great, the voters got what they wanted

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

El Fideo posted:

Yeah, Doreen Winkings is basically Rachel Dolezal.

there was a new similar case recently: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/03/us/jessica-krug-gwu-black-trnd/index.html

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Phenotype posted:

Well, the trailer's out.

I hate it. :(

It is just tantalizing enough, with all these quick little Discworld references (Gaspode! Sybil's hair fell off!), that I'm all the more frustrated with the setting and casting choices (Why is Sybil a young woman?). I also liked Vimes a lot more in the casting photos, in action he seems... I dunno, seedier? Grimier than I always pictured him?

I will give it a couple episodes to see how it feels when it's all put together, but I'm not terribly hopeful.

lmao what utter poo poo

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

:laffo: yeah they should've just hired Noel Fielding. He'd bring his own tranquilisers.

e: Sandy Toksvig as Vimes.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

A wizard's MASSIVE COCK has a PENIS on the end.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Jedit posted:

Pterry always used to say that you could tell which of his books were written for children because they were darker and had less jokes in.

Also I re-read Maurice last month and it still holds up, so I have no idea what your beef is.

perhaps some adults enjoy reading books written for adults

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Liquid Communism posted:

Any adult who can't still take some pleasure in childish things has lost something fundamental and important to their humanity.

manchildren aren't the pinnacle of humanity

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Jedit posted:

You're acting like taking pleasure in something means to define yourself by it. I would think poorly of any adult who thought you can live on pizza and ice cream, too, but that doesn't mean that adults cannot enjoy them.

quoting myself from earlier:

ChubbyChecker posted:

you are a prime example of a type of people this forum is unfortunately teeming with. you people have built your personality around consumer products, and think that criticisms of the products are personal attacks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

good grief

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

immoral_ posted:

You could skip it and go to Mort, which is where it starts becoming more Discworld and less high-fantasy trope-a-thon.

this

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

fantasy parodies were a surprisingly popular genre in the 80s and the first discworld books weren't really special in that genre. he found his own thing from mort onwards

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Devorum posted:

I gave up halfway through. Every character getting a Certified Tragic Backstory was the final straw for me.

Like...what did it actually add to the story to make Carrot an unwanted child? Or Sybil an orphan?

sybil is an orphan?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

what did they keep from the book sybil apart from the name?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Get this: the postal service used to be real, too. And money!

:captainpop:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

My Lovely Horse posted:

Jesus Christ man I'm picking a book back up after like a decade, can you maybe hold off on sardonically implying I'm too dumb to get Pratchett's genius until I've actually posted my take on it that isn't half remembered from when I was a dumb teen or at most twentysomething

sorry I'm not rereading these once a year or whatever you have to do to be let in the Pratchett Thread Club I guess.

there's no helping that guy, he's one of those rick and morty type fans

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Trin Tragula posted:

Ridicully's land-owning gentry at worst, if not minor nobility. Brian Blessed's too RP for that. The sort of person Ridicully's a resonance with doesn't really make it to video or radio very often. The closest thing I can think of is probably Michael Cochrane in Sharpe as Sir Henry Simmerson, or Viv Stanshall doing Sir Henry at Rawlinson End; except they're usually also an irredeemable silly rear end (which is what the wizards think they're getting, and as someone like Lord Rust actually is), and Pratchett twists it by giving Ridicully an unusual amount of brainpower in his own way.

or the gentry guy from the treasure island

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Pham Nuwen posted:

Agreed but whenever those two weren't on the screen we were blessed with child actors and Quirky Witch. I did not finish the series.

yeah, the angel and demon were the only good things about the series

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Megazver posted:

Gabriel makes me think that material written specifically for the show might actually end up being better in TV format than the adapted material.

yeah, pratchett can't really be adapted well, because those things that make some of his books good, work only in written format. using a narrator in the good omens was a valiant effort, but it didn't work spectacularly.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

benevolent dictatorship is arguably the best and ideal form of government

it's not

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

tbh I don't think Discworld does a great job with race, mainly because the early books are lampooning fantasy stories that were often full of orientalist tropes, and the later books are more concerned with fantasy analogies of race.

yeah, but it wasn't only the early books, interesting times also has some of that stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, this was an issue with the later Pratchett books -- the constant overstatement like this that would have been fixed in the editing in earlier years. I remember being annoyed by some of the Watch stuff in Monstrous Regiment for the same reason, Angua specifically winking at Vimes and saying "Oh ho, so we're not really intercepting the Times' messages" when their characters would have left most of it implied and unsaid.

yeah, monstrous regiment was a decent book, but it didn't quite click like the previous ones