Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Long post but whenever Hogfather is mentioned I think of the following quote and how much it has shaped my world view since first time I read it 12 years ago. The works of Terry Pratchett (and Kurt Vonnegut) have changed the way I think about myself, the world, and my place in it. Happy Hogswatch everyone!

quote:

"All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"

MY POINT EXACTLY.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Yes, he's a Santa figure, even down to dressing in white and red, riding a sled, and throwing things through windows.

Also I'll edit my post to include spoilers sorry about that.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Feet of Clay makes me tear up every time I reread it.

WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
First Sam Simon, now Terry Pratchett. Bad week for a kid who spent multiple summers watching The Simpsons reruns all day and reading Discworld paperbacks all night. This is how I felt when Kurt Vonnegut died, a small part of me is missing now. The impact Pratchett had on my world view is immeasurable, I know I would not be the same person if I had not picked up an anthology of short stories with one written by a guy named Terry years ago.

Talk about a bummer two days before I'm going on vacation. I don't even want to go to work today, but I guess I can't tell them someone I never met died and I need to go cry a bunch.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I think Feet of Clay is my favorite Watch book and I'm due for a re-read.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Richard Dormer does look like Vimes in the Paul Kidby illustrations, at least in that one shot.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
At least the Hogfather adaption was good.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The first Discworld I read was a short story in a collection of shorts by various fantasy authors. It was a Granny Wetherwax story, I had no context for what was going on but I enjoyed it enough to seek out The Color of Magic and went from there.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Publication order or bust

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Feliday Melody posted:

If you could pick any Discworld book to turn into a good and faithful movie/series adaptation. Which would it be?

Stand alone it would have to be Small Gods. But Feet of Clay is probably my favorite book of the series and to see a good version of that would be amazing.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
SQUEAK

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
A fish!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Publishing order or bust

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Pratchett could write good cops since he was writing fantasy books.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Publication order or gtfo

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The first Pratchett I read was a short story featuring Granny Weatherwax, then I went and started from The Color of Magic.

It's a good short story:

https://www.angelfire.com/weird2/athenia/stories/pterry/sea.htm

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Yeah I was surprised that the link worked haha

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I gotta reread the Aching books, the ending of the first one with Ghost Granny and the dogs is something that I think of fairly often and I read that book 20 years ago.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Beachcomber posted:

Look up when it is, and read the short story

"The Sea and Little Fishes."

If you can't get a hard copy, there are alternative ways to access it, and it's really good.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The first Pratchett I read was a short story featuring Granny Weatherwax, then I went and started from The Color of Magic.

It's a good short story:

https://www.angelfire.com/weird2/athenia/stories/pterry/sea.htm

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Give me publication order or give me death.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
SEE YOU SOON
- DEATH

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Reaper Man, Catch-22, and Slaughterhouse-Five are my three "these books shaped who I am" picks. Well, pretty much all of pratchett and vonnegut but if I gotta pick it's those ones.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I had a vague memory of buying a copy of a Discworld novel that was signed and I looked around and it is a copy of Making Money. Not my favorite book in the series but it's definitely a hold on to since it's got Terry's squiggle inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Publication order, don't listen to anyone else I'm the correct one