Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Aussie Crawl posted:

Too bad the Post Office one doesn't have the logo on it, despite it being used on the website. The text that is on the Post Office bag instead is about as subtle as a brick to the face.

Anyway, I've read through most of this thread over the past months, and while I'm trying to read as much of the Discworld books as possible in a logical order, my library has a really scattered collection, and that is already after searching the provincial catalogue :(

Right now I'm trying to track down Witches Abroad, which only exists in the library collection in a trilogy book together with Equal Rites and Wyrd Sisters (which I've already read) and it's either unavailable, or it's over two weeks overdue.

Read so far:

Color of Magic
Light Fantastic
Equal Rites
Wyrd Sisters
Pyramids
Going Postal
Making Money

SixFigureSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 13, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I've gave up on the libraries and bought Witches Abroad, FaustEric, and Mort.

Also, I didn't get the pun in Adora Belle's name until after finishing Making Money :shobon:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Currently reading FaustEric. I love the name Quezovercoatl.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Got another batch of books in from Amazon. Does anyone else prefer these covers over the hand-drawn ones? I think these are more stylish.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
By the way, is anyone still updating the Reading Order Guide? It's missing both Making Money and UU by now.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DontMockMySmock posted:

Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes.

I'm just now reading Interesting Times, and it appears to me that Rowan Atkinson could play Rincewind very well, especially since he's basically the same character as Blackadder, except with slightly more insight and even less aspirations. The cowardice and the acceptance that fate is loving him over anyway is already there.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Maybe I shouldn't read Guards! Guards! on the train anymore. I couldn't stop laughing at FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Speaking of wizards, I just finished Reaper Man. There is a scene with the Wizards fighting off a horde of shopping carts, and at one point being completely surrounded. The mental image of that reminded me so much of the Lord of the Rings artwork of the Fellowship being surrounded by goblins in Moria. I have no idea if that was intentional (probably not), but artwork of the Wizards in the same pose would be amazing.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Nigel Danvers posted:

I think the wizards use of magic is best shown in the way they pay tax in Ankh-Morpork. As citizens they should pay tax, and they would. But they have an understanding with the Patrician that they will pay tax under the informal agreement that they are never asked to actually pay tax.

The passage about this in Reaper Man is gold:

quote:

The relationship between the University and the Patrician, absolute ruler and nearly benevolent dictator of Ankh-Morpork, was a complex and subtle one.

The wizards held that, as servants of a higher truth, they were not subject to the mundane laws of the city.

The Patrician said that, indeed, this was the case, but they would bloody well pay their taxes like everyone else.

The wizards said that, as followers of the light of wisdom, they owed allegiance to no mortal man.

The Patrician said that this may well be true but they also owed a city tax of two hundred dollars per head per annum, payable quarterly.

The wizards said that the University stood on magical ground and was therefore exempt from taxation and anyway you couldn't put a tax on knowledge.

The Patrician said you could. It was two hundred dollar per capita; if per capita was a problem, decapita could be arranged.

The wizards said that the University had never paid taxes to the civil authority.

The Patrician said he was not proposing to remain civil for long.

The wizards said, what about easy terms?

The Patrician said he was talking about easy terms. They wouldn't want to know about the hard terms.

The wizards said that there was a ruler in, oh, it would be the Century of the Dragonfly, who had tried to tell the University what to do. The Patrician could come and have a look at him if he liked.

The Patrician said he would. He truly would.

In the end it was agreed that while the wizards of course paid no taxes, they would nevertheless make an entirely voluntary donation of, oh, let's say two hundred dollars per head, without prejudice, mutatis mutandis, no strings attached, to be used strictly for non-militaristic and environmentally-acceptable purposes.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Well, it´s supposed to be a ´one man, one vote´ democracy. With the Patrician as The Man who has The Vote, remember? :v:

But I highly doubt that Ankh-Morpork could have a working democracy, even though a book about an attempt would be a good read.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

shadok posted:

Nope. Pteppic abdicates, leaving his half-sister Ptraci on the throne.

Ephebe qualifies, but it's really more of an aristocracy than a democracy.

It's a classical democracy: rich/landowning/taxpaying male citizens can vote.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mokinokaro posted:

To be fair, Vetinari only turns to being a tyrant when he absolutely has to. He's content to let things run themselves when it's good for the city.

Well, unless you're a mime.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Also Vimes works reasonably well when I imagine him as Bruce Willis, in one of his ´disillusioned cop´ roles. I´ve only just started Men at Arms, though.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3262795

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm reading Soul Music now. 'He can't stop us. We're on a mission from Glod'.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Alvie posted:

That quote has to be one of my favorite from the entire Discworld series. In fact, I know a lot of people like to diss on Soul Music as a book but I think it had some of the best one-liners like that in the entire series. I didn't even get the "He looks Elvish to me" running joke until I read about it on L Space Web. Elvish - H = Elvis

I enjoyed that book a lot. Especially the opening band that constantly changes names and is basically a Discworld Punk Rock band. Beautiful.

Well, I'm only about halfway through but I like it a lot so far, above average in the series I would say.

Moving Pictures also arrived in the mail today, which I understand is one of the least liked books in the series?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Soul Music continues to shine.

"Are you the Watch?"
"No Ma'am. We're musicians."

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
TAKE IT FROM THE TOP?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That is one awesome trailer. And holy poo poo it's Manuel from Fawlty Towers as Groat :monocle:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm more than halfway through Moving Pictures and it's not a bad book like I was lead to believe. No insightful satire or anything, but a decent read.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Odds on Granny dying....

:ohdear:

On one hand it would be fitting to end her story in some way. On the other hand she's way too badass to die.

Also, a few days ago Hogfather, The Last Continent, Carpe Jugulum and Jingo arrived from Amazon, so after I finish my current not-quite-pulp scifi book, it's on with the series :dance:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
This is amazing

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The American-style cover for Feet of Clay is actually a spoiler, but you don't realize that until after you've read the book. It's pretty brilliant if it's intentional. The cover features a candle

e: it must be intentional. Vimes even comments in the book that that the poison being in the candles was so 'hidden-in-plain-sight' that no one would notice it. Putting a candle on the cover is exactly that

I'm buying all Discworld books with those covers, up until I reach the books with Kidby's cover art, which starts with The Truth, I believe?

SixFigureSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 11, 2010

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
All cisterns go!

Just started reading Hogfather and it delivers already

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Has he started collecting cats yet?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
One-eightst? I still don't get it :ohdear:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Oh, I thought there was more to it than that :downs:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Just chiming in to say that The Last Continent is a pretty good read so far. No worries!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I just lent Guards! Guards! to a friend who has mainly been trying to get through Lord of the Rings for the past two years or so. I wonder what he'll think of it. It has dragons in it, so that's a definite plus in his case :)

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm up to Jingo so far, which was good. Unfortunately I've stopped buying books until I have a job. Or until someone inexplicably gives me a large sum of money, that is also acceptable.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

LooseChanj posted:

Get a library card, or are you like me and absolutely loath letting a book out of your hands/shelf?

Lugubrious posted:

He might also be like me and have a library with only two Pratchett books.

Yeah, this. I have a library card, but my library (the main library in a city of nearly 200,000 people) has the latest few Pratchett books, and the first few, and almost nothing inbetween. Anyway, they're only €10 each online so I just buy them.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I just started Thief of Time (courtesy of my SASS santa) and just wanted to mention that Bad Schüschein is an amazing pun :)

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Probably referring to the more in-depth look at dwarf religion and society in Fifth Elephant and Thud. Though whether they're a fantasy equivalent to Judaism, Islam or some hybrid is up for debate.

I'm halfway through Fifth Elephant right now. How the dwarf community is described is definitely a parallel to immigrants in general, but I don't think it's specific enough to nail it down to any existing religion or ethnicity.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The adaptation of Going Postal is pretty good, you're all crazy :argh:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
If anyone needs a late Christmas gift, Amazon UK has all the Watch novels for only 15 pounds, which is pretty much nothing for 7 books.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mister Roboto posted:

It's a bit vague, but I suppose since Vimes is a teenager at the time and Sybil is described pretty much the same way that they can be close or even the same.

If Sybil were older, she probably would have been too old to have Young Sam.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I just noticed I've run out of Discworld books, so I'm ordering more. I'm getting awfully close to the latest book though. Then what will I do? :ohdear:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yay, my books arrived! I've already read Making Money by chance, but I'm rereading it anyway. Every scene in every book where Vetinari manipulates someone into doing something for him is just great.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Darth Walrus posted:

Try West Side Story.

I, too, wasn't quite up on my 1960s play/movie references, but it's a nice one as far as they go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AlphaDog posted:

Some cards make you draw an Event Card, which is not skippable. Event cards might signify an earthquake, a flood, an invasion by trolls or demons, or something else even weirder.

All Event cards are Wizard cards, which is the best part :v:

AlphaDog posted:

Victory occurs at the end of the turn following the turn in which you won. So if I'm Vetinari, and I've placed my final agent and now there's enough that I win, the next player takes their turn before I can declare "I win". If someone else has figured out that I must be Vetinari, then they have to try very hard to remove one of my agents before their turn ends. You need a good poker face, or clueless friends. In a very discworld manner, people can wreck your victory without realising they've done so.

Actually, you win if your win condition is met at the start of your own turn. So if you place your final minion as Vetinari, all other players get to take their turns before you win.