Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Mister Roboto posted:

I don't want to be some 80 year old shell of man

Wouldn't you though, in a profession where most die really young?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Mister Roboto posted:

Why did you cut off the important parts of what I was saying?

That joke went sailing through the stratosphere I guess. :v:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

withak posted:

I nominate whoever jumped in with the CPR for man or woman of the year.

According to the article, that would be his assistant.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

AXE COP posted:

I've read my copy of Night Watch so often that the back pages have started falling off. Now the book ends right before the graveyard bit :(

You know they'll let you buy another copy right?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I've always pictured Rincewind as The Dude. And if you see anyone else you're doing it wrong.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Kitchner posted:

Without spoiling the story for me why is Raising Steam getting knocked by you guys so much?

I'm only 10% in and it feels like he's throwing characters into the pot left and right so it feels more like a "city" book than a "Moist" or "Wizards" or "Death" story. The beginning is a little confusing that way, and I think we're more than a little conditioned to expect a this character or that character story.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Hipster Occultist posted:

I think that's possibly a result of his editors understandably going a little too easy on his work out of sympathy for his condition now.

I really wish people would quit bringing up his Alzheimer's like it's OBVIOUSLY the source of EVERYTHING DIFFERENT about him now, or that he's treated with kid gloves because oh they feel so sorry for him. Creativity isn't frozen when you turn 21, you won't write or paint or play the same thing when you're 30. Or 40, or 50. Growth and development and all that.

And I suspect the light editing accusation probably has more to do with extremely prolific writers having more experience than a lot of editors, which is probably a bit intimidating even if it isn't someone fantastically popular. If you just got out of college, are you going to have the balls to go and tell someone how to do the job they've been doing for 30 years? Maybe you would, but you'd be in the minority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Mister Roboto posted:

Dodger could have legitimately worked as a Discworld story.

I was wondering why it wasn't.