Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

They should have looked out for breaklights on the 405.

Real talk, I wish I had footage of Drew driving home from the studio because the way Adam describes his driving on air is amazing. Catching sparks leaving the parking lot, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Need dashcam footage with audio of Drew and Adam's nightly post-show cell phone conversations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I really wish we could have heard some of them, especially on the shows where you can tell they just hate the guest or the guest's answers / advice. It'd be great to hear them talk poo poo.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Any good shows where the guest gives bad advice.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/25/media/dr-drew-hln-canceled/index.html

Dr. Drew's HLN show has been canceled.

You're heartbroken, I know.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I'm sure they'll be dragging his carcass in front of the cameras to spitball about drunken celebrities well into his twilight years, but maybe this will give him the time to relaunch his visionary forum in shiny Web 2.0

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The network head cancelled the show by leaning through the door into Drew's office, looking him straight in the eye, and saying:

human being better run

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Where's Dr. Drew?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Grand Fromage posted:

The network head cancelled the show by leaning through the door into Drew's office, looking him straight in the eye, and saying:

human being better run

This guys an rear end in a top hat!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Are you a Mormon?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
She's a lesbian!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
What are we even doing here? The show is dead and everyone sucks now. But man... Good times, right guys?

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Eh, the show was also dead when this thread was started like a decade ago. There's enough of a back catalog and drama to keep things chugging along at a couple of posts a month

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
I love hearing about episodes I've forgotten about or never heard in the first place (and can hear now that the mega torrent exists).

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Show is so good and unique and funny and its something that can't be replicated and has a huge backlog, and even though there's a ton of stuff that isn't modern (commerical are weird as hell to listen to) but still remains to be funny

On top of it all many many people (including myself) have learned a TON about human behavior and why some people are so hosed up in the head

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
A very underrated segment was Ace's Mexican Ranchero Accordion Countdown.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

stringball posted:

On top of it all many many people (including myself) have learned a TON about human behavior and why some people are so hosed up in the head

When a loved one rock-bottomed and started getting treatment and going to 12-step programs for their addiction I would have been completely lost without the hundreds of hours of comedy addiction counselling I'd heard on this show. Everything serious Drew had ever said was there for me and helped in a real way, years and years later.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

UltraRed posted:

Unfortunately a lot of the shows where the guests give bad advice are the ones where the guests were just overall bad.

Except for Insane Clown Posse of course.

MrDoDo
Jun 27, 2004

You better remember quick before we haul your sweet ass down to the precinct.

UltraRed posted:

If only we could find the Loveline TV show episode with Jon Favreau. Apparently he was giving such bad advice Drew had a panic attack during the break.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

I'm 10 minutes into this one, and I can already tell it's gold. Adam might be stoned, Crystal Method is in, stupid rear end callers straight away. A mom calls in and says she listens to loveline with her son, Drew says it's the best ways for 12-13 year olds to listen to Loveline.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

FCKGW posted:

Unfortunately a lot of the shows where the guests give bad advice are the ones where the guests were just overall bad.

Hump the hell outta her butthole, man

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

Grimey Drawer
I'll never eat sub-par cranberries during the holidays again!

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
This thread is actually "30-something goons try to reconcile how loving stupid Adam is now with how wistfully nostalgic they are for his repetitive yet astute wit and apt analogies between 1998 and 2005ish"

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Uh I mostly talk about Dr. Drew THANKS :rolleyes:

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Where's Dr. Drew?

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

[two second beat] He's in New York becau-because someone dropped a nickel.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FCKGW posted:

The first time I ever encountered ICP was as guests on Loveline. They are incredible guests on Loveline, so I looked into them further and discovered Juggalos. :yikes:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
if this is true you are going to go jail buddy

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

pzy posted:

Where's Dr. Drew?

Somebody dropped a nickle.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
There's a bunch of episodes post Adam and Drew where Joel McHale hosted for a few weeks, and there's a run of shows where Jimmy Kimmel steps in. McHale was good and Jimmy was amazing, better than Adam for much of it. Adam was replaceable imo, Drew wasn't. Unfortunately due to the collapsing market for radio advertising, instead of a good host we got a pile of low end reality tv show host tier talent and well yeah.....

I don't believe the show existed in a magic bubble of a time that can never be recreated. There will always be hosed up people with no sense of shame willing to give themselves over for a brief taste of fame. All you need then is a good improv comic with a mean streak, a responsible adult, and a decent producer managing the calls. It just can't be hosted by a pair of old white guys irrevocably corrupted by their own celebrity.

EDIT: poo poo I'd listen to Bill Burr and his wife take calls from the Loveline clientele. If only Monday Morning Podcast just took live calls instead of letters.

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 27, 2016

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Drew was replaceable. Dr Spaz episodes are great!

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I liked Dr Ben, too. He wasn't reactionary and seemed to have a pretty good grasp of Adam's pace and humor.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

AgentJotun posted:

Drew was replaceable. Dr Spaz episodes are great!

Eh, they're good but if they were every episode then it would quickly wear out the welcome.

Same kinda thing with Drew-only episodes.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

hiddenmovement posted:

EDIT: poo poo I'd listen to Bill Burr and his wife take calls from the Loveline clientele. If only Monday Morning Podcast just took live calls instead of letters.
I still feel like something would be lost by having callers being devoted fans of the hosts. Yeah, a lot of Loveline callers were regular listeners, but so many were just people who turned on the radio one night. A superfan who follows Bill Burr (or whoever) on twitter isn't nearly as ripe for comedy as the weirdo who stumbles upon the show flipping through radio stations.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

~Coxy posted:

Eh, they're good but if they were every episode then it would quickly wear out the welcome.

Same kinda thing with Drew-only episodes.

Drew-only eps are excellent but yeah, a show with only Drew all the time would wear out. His podcast has some good episodes by the way, the Bobcat Goldthwait one was pretty cool and made me watch Call Me Lucky which was a pretty good documentary he directed (it's on Netflix).

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
The early Mike and Drew era (pre-Simone) is pretty good too. I would daresay a better vibe than the very end of the Adam era when he was kinda checked out.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
If only they had listened to the PSA...

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The one thing that the human body isn't built for... :smith:

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Listening to one of those This Year best ofs. Dr. Bruce puts a young, dumb caller on hold to ask Adam if he can confirm the kid's question about marijuana use stunting penis growth. "For the Public Good." he says. Adam indicates that he agrees with him but that the caller can hear everything being said. He cuts back to the caller who indicates he wasn't listening so Adam accuses the caller of being stoned and launches back into the conversation, hands it off to Dr. Bruce, who tells the caller that yes, marijuana use will definitely have an impact on penis growth. Kid says Thanks and hangs up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Goddamn how the mighty have fallen. Now I just remember Adam being passive aggressive about Dr. Bruce paying him back for the laser.

But thanks for reminding me to hit those compilations

• Locked thread