Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Does thinking Kathy Griffin is easily the best regular guest make me gay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Or hired any number of funny and insightful women who have been on the show over the years.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

God the current show has a HORRIBLE website. I spent ten minutes trying to get the podcasts to work before just giving up. What's the format these days as well? Everything was listed as a 'theme' show.

After all these years I am finally having a hard time listening to the show due to its age, and I'd like to give Mike a go but gently caress me do Westwood None make it hard work.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Surely it wouldnt hurt the bottom line that much to be competent

WDIIA posted:

On the Loveline Tapes page for that show there's a comment who claims to be that girl saying that it was a prank call. Who really knows though

If that's a prank call it's a terrible one. I think the answer is probably 'Oh hay you guys I was kidding I'm totally not that silly I was just joshing the whole time. Of course the poo floaty question is silly. Guys? Guys please stop laughing.'

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

CatchrNdRy posted:

If Adam Carolla of 1998 (with his almost $400,000 salary) could see what he became today...what would he think?

He would probably shrug and go 'eh...I got old. It happens. Happens to everyone. But I've still got a sweet house up in the hills, old lady seems happy, got a coupla kids, the man can't tell me what to do, and I haven't had to deal with Anderson in years. Could be worse.'

EDIT: Or the short version 'Yeah, but still!'

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 6, 2016

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Also I think 1995 Adam would have to concede that 2016 Adam is an angry old hack

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

stringball posted:

I remember Adam talking about when he went downhill in his truck(?) he would turn the engine off and let it slide, can anyone link that story or tell me more about it?

A shocking number of times I find myself laughing at some dumb, poverty stricken hick poo poo Adam did when he was younger, and then moments later I realize I used to do exactly that and had forgotten.

So yeah thanks for triggering

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 9, 2016

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

So listening to the final ep something struck me, and it was something I guess I'd had an inkling of before when I'd listened to the odd Mike episode, but the problem with the modern show was that they talked way too much about sex, whereas classic loveline kinda didn't.

The advice given on the old show almost always got waylaid into the mental state and living situation of the person calling. A dude calls up about his penis size and we get into why he hates his job, a girl calls in about her abusive boyfriend who just got out on parole and we start talking about dad. It was rarely actually about sex, and it was way funnier, more engaging, and insightful than stupid questions of the week that turned the later incarnation of the program into an aural Cleo magazine.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Cached Money posted:

I listened to a few recent ones and he is definitely trying to be way more humble now, sure, he's not the same guy he was 15-20 years ago but then again who is?

No one is the same, but a lot of people actually become better

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Doesn't Drew get large sums of money to say nice things about Uber? He was shilling for them pretty hard over on Loveline at the end and we all know how much he loves undisclosed advertising posing as a personal opinion.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

He's completely loving insane, it's probably gonna end the same way the situation with David Spade's assistant did, all attempted murderery

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

criscodisco posted:

Haha what the gently caress someone cared enough about David Spade to try to kill him? Plus how hard could it possibly be to kill David Spade?

Someone should have just introduced him to a bipolar blond.

Listen to Spade's interview on WTF, genuinely good episode and the bit at the end when he describes the attempted murder is quite tense.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

It was such a shame that they didn't look out for that nuclear armament truck on their way home from the studio that night back in 2006. They are sorely missed.

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 26, 2016

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

They should have looked out for breaklights on the 405.

They truly were the traffic in lanes

What the gently caress did that even mean anyway where the gently caress else would the traffic be except in the lanes? On the median strip?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Jesus loving christ I'd never heard that weird 'no' call before but I'm dying over here

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

There's a bunch of episodes post Adam and Drew where Joel McHale hosted for a few weeks, and there's a run of shows where Jimmy Kimmel steps in. McHale was good and Jimmy was amazing, better than Adam for much of it. Adam was replaceable imo, Drew wasn't. Unfortunately due to the collapsing market for radio advertising, instead of a good host we got a pile of low end reality tv show host tier talent and well yeah.....

I don't believe the show existed in a magic bubble of a time that can never be recreated. There will always be hosed up people with no sense of shame willing to give themselves over for a brief taste of fame. All you need then is a good improv comic with a mean streak, a responsible adult, and a decent producer managing the calls. It just can't be hosted by a pair of old white guys irrevocably corrupted by their own celebrity.

EDIT: poo poo I'd listen to Bill Burr and his wife take calls from the Loveline clientele. If only Monday Morning Podcast just took live calls instead of letters.

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

WEH posted:

Among other things. He had way different views on poverty, etc iirc but I haven't listened to that era in years so I guess you'll just have to take me at my word or go through em yourself.

He always cried about how much poor millionaires like him got taxed, and that's at the heart of so many social problems in the us.

Edit: Dr Bruce is a giant fuckwit if he thinks clean needle exchanges are bad. Holy gently caress he's a doctor as well lmao

• Locked thread