Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MetaJew posted:

Don't seem people weld-in a lowered floor pan in the NA to get a very low seat position?

Yes people do that. But I am not willing to do do this. If this is the only way I'm getting to a track day, it's not going to happen on the summer fun car, honestly it'd end up with me getting something else or a second "racecar" Miata as my wife would probably be unhappy for cutting up smurfette's floors.

TrueChaos posted:

The 'easy' solution is a sparco sprint and a PCI seat mount. They have a couple versions, I had the one piece lowest of the low, and was under my rollbar by about an inch at 6' tall.

I ran it for years, but it's not the most comfortable for longer drives. I grabbed an OMP HTE-R 400, and it's wonderful. I still have some work to do on the mounting position, but it is lightyears more comfortable. Bit of a different price point though.

Yes this is what I remembered but I didn't quote it to come back or write it down. I may look into the OMP as well since we'd be looking at doing a few 3+hr drives and now my Auto-x course is going to be 1.5 hrs away due to our facility closing for a new football stadium construction. If I go OMP and Bracket that's pretty much my whole "blow" portion of my bonus so that's fine, I'd rather be comfortable than cheap.

How is the side viability considering that in the summer I'm semi-daily driving the thing to and from work so need to keep my head on a swivel to protect against idiots who cant see me.

For the PCI one piece do you remember which one you got? I'm assuming this is the one piece.
https://www.pci-racing.com/product/89-05-mazda-mx-5-2/
There's a standard fitment and a set back fitment for ppl 5'10" and up

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I've got a 2001 in mediocre shape that I'm planning to trade in on a new Miata this year. I have a hardtop for it with a hole in it. I know a good hardtop is worth four figures, but I don't know if they mean anything to speak of for trade-ins, much less enough that getting it fixed would pay off. Am I right in thinking there's no way to ever come out on top if I'm trading in? My fallback plan is to put it up on my local FB Miata group for $50 as-is just to get it out of my garage without hassle.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
you could put it up for $5k and get rid of it within 2 days

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Phone posted:

:emptyquote:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Phone posted:

He said it’s got a hole in it. NA/NB hardtops are common enough that the damage is gonna kill value. Around me, good ones sell for $2k

I would it on FB marketplace or Craigslist or whatever for like $800-1000 with good pics showing the damage and see who crawls out of the woodwork.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Depends on the damage, really. If it's easily fixable, it might be worth doing.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Your truly thought the hardtop was the right place to learn how to remove a broken screw. The creaking noises that I thought meant "finally the tool has bitten into the shaft of the broken screw and things are moving now" was actually "the tool has bitten into the scm and is starting to poke through." By that time I had been wrestling with the problem for so long that I had lost all patience and nuance and just got done full stupid on it, and sure enough, I got a stupid result. I think a body shop that can handle SCM could fix it up, but I don't have any idea what would be involved in trying to put a new insert in there for a larger screw and make it fully functional that way. I have no idea what having only two screws instead of three does to the strength of the latch; I'm guessing it's perfectly adequate for road use, but I wouldn't track it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

So I think I’m gonna get a Sparco Sprint seat with side mount brackets and a Roadster Sport long shifter for the NC. It doesn’t need any more power or anything for autocross, but some better lateral support and a more ergo shifter wouldn’t go amiss.

Anyone have any experience with either of those in the NC?

Fish Cake
Jun 13, 2008

woof
Can't stop myself from loving around with this thing, so in goes the mx5things roof control module and a bunch of other interior baubles

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Fish Cake posted:

Can't stop myself from loving around with this thing, so in goes the mx5things roof control module and a bunch of other interior baubles

The Mx5Things roof controller was 100% worth it and how the car should've come from the factory.

Fish Cake
Jun 13, 2008

woof

MetaJew posted:

The Mx5Things roof controller was 100% worth it and how the car should've come from the factory.

Honestly just the fact that I don't have to play the little "wait which way is up and which way is down" game every time I push that switch was worth the cost of entry, never mind all the other functions. Now I just need to figure out a good looking way to relabel the switch bezel.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I started understanding why the switch directions were the way they were right around the time I installed the roof controller and then i switched it and now i can never remember which way is which because they both make sense, I should just switch it back to default.

However, doing the roof at up to 20 mph or in reverse is an absolute game changer. If you install the ACC mod as well, three clicks on the fob to lower the roof is also quite nice.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Got some door vinyls. I like these cause they look like they could have been oem.

I do want to change the accent colour from black to sparkly purple but I think I need to start with the wheels...

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I had a previous ND2 and it had quite a bit of body roll and everyone said just do the sway bars, I never ended up doing it though since it was a lease. I ordered a 2023 GT and it will coming in the next week or so, so I started looking into those again. Just do the FM sways and call it a day? How "real" is the front sway bar mounting failure thing

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
At the Miata Reunion, I asked one of the guys from FM basically that question. 2020 GT, flyin’ miata sway bars but otherwise stock suspension, car is a daily driver and occasional autocrosser. They said “eh, you may want to add the braces at some point, but it’s the sort of thing that can probably wait until you feel like having a project unless you start tracking the car hard instead of occasional autocross stuff”.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Nodoze posted:

How "real" is the front sway bar mounting failure thing

If your running wide slicks and high spring rates I'd do the reinforcement, otherwise it will be fine even with off the shelf coilovers and 200tw

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
fwiw modern fast 200tw tires are not that far off a Hoosier R7.

RE71RS, A052, CR-S

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Nodoze posted:

I had a previous ND2 and it had quite a bit of body roll and everyone said just do the sway bars, I never ended up doing it though since it was a lease. I ordered a 2023 GT and it will coming in the next week or so, so I started looking into those again. Just do the FM sways and call it a day? How "real" is the front sway bar mounting failure thing

Do you know if you're getting a 23 or 24?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

phosdex posted:

Do you know if you're getting a 23 or 24?

It should be a 23, I don't think 24s are already here at the ports

e: It's a 2023, they aren't currently offering (at least on the website?) the Terracotta Brown interior and I ordered a crystal white/terracotta brown vert

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 29, 2024

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Upgrades!

Sparco Sprint seat with PCI base and side mounts, and the GWR long shifter.

The seat still has to come out one more time so I can button up the wiring (have to put a resistor in the airbag wire), but the position is dialed in.

The shifter looks a little silly but it feels very nice. Same throw length as stock and similar effort, just with a longer stick so the shift knob is closer to the wheel. Can’t wait to try it on the autocross course.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

So the verdict is yes, I can crawl in and out of the Miata with a race seat and hardtop. But it ain't graceful.

Plenty of helmet room though. I put the seat almost as low as I could on the mounts.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
The backup camera on my ND2 RF is absolutely awful and gets blinded in basically all lighting conditions.

Backing into a parking spot into the sun? Blind. Backing into a parking spot with a light colored wall, with the sun in front of you? Also blind.

I've tried changing the brightness and contrast settings for the camera and cranking up or down on brightness and contrast has basically no effect.

Also, is there a way to enable the camera to adjust those settings without having to put the car in reverse? Seems kind of bad to have to hold the clutch in while fiddling with the display, while in gear....

Would putting some kind of polarizing filter or sunshade over the camera help this at all?

Is this a problem that I should be trying to make a warranty claim on? I mean, the camera works, but I can't see poo poo in a lot of lighting conditions, and rear (and driver side) visibility with the top up is bad enough that I can't just look over my shoulder.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Just pretend you don’t have one and look behind you.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I've thought about finding a little rainshade thingy for my backup camera, but also it's fine enough as-is to see if i'm hitting that cinder block wall or not, so i get lazy about it

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

MetaJew posted:

The backup camera on my ND2 RF is absolutely awful and gets blinded in basically all lighting conditions.

Backing into a parking spot into the sun? Blind. Backing into a parking spot with a light colored wall, with the sun in front of you? Also blind.

I've tried changing the brightness and contrast settings for the camera and cranking up or down on brightness and contrast has basically no effect.

Also, is there a way to enable the camera to adjust those settings without having to put the car in reverse? Seems kind of bad to have to hold the clutch in while fiddling with the display, while in gear....

Would putting some kind of polarizing filter or sunshade over the camera help this at all?

Is this a problem that I should be trying to make a warranty claim on? I mean, the camera works, but I can't see poo poo in a lot of lighting conditions, and rear (and driver side) visibility with the top up is bad enough that I can't just look over my shoulder.

Stop backing into parking spots, problem solved.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Russian Bear posted:

Stop backing into parking spots, problem solved.

Blasphemy at the least.

Small car backing out into a parking lot/garage from in between giant loving trucks and SUVs is a recipe for disaster. I back into every parking spot every time if possible (angled downtown parking of course not).

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Blasphemy at the least.

Small car backing out into a parking lot/garage from in between giant loving trucks and SUVs is a recipe for disaster. I back into every parking spot every time if possible (angled downtown parking of course not).

In a miata your head is closer to the back of the car than the front, so it's actually better viewpoints to be backing out and turn your head.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It's not just visibility, but the nature of the spot. Personally I can't even get into my parking spot at home head-in if my neighbors are parked, and conversely I can't get out backing out. Maybe someone who understands can explain why, but I find my car "pulls" along the front versus pivots on its rear. When reversing the front of the car is clear to swing out whereas pulling in your car swings directly into whatever you're steering around.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Russian Bear posted:

In a miata your head is closer to the back of the car than the front, so it's actually better viewpoints to be backing out and turn your head.

I have no idea what you're talking about. The rear visibility out of the RF, especially with the roof up is pretty bad.

The rear camera "cross traffic detection" has saved me numerous times when there is no way I couldve seen a car or pedestrian crossing. This is exacerbated by most other cars on the road being enormous SUVs with extremely tall belt lines.

I back in to nearly every spot because I can pull out more safely.

Soft top with the roof down? Substantially easier to back out of spots.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Really, IS two Miatas two too many? Gonna put my NB up for sale soon although the NC might be cursed. :ghost:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm thinking about at least renting a nd2 vert with the automatic cause i heard the paddle action is good, real good. It'd be darkly funny if i ended up with a brace of nd2s for whateverrrr. If they would have put a dual clutch transmission in the auto i would be unironically tempted into getting one

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm thinking about at least renting a nd2 vert with the automatic cause i heard the paddle action is good, real good. It'd be darkly funny if i ended up with a brace of nd2s for whateverrrr. If they would have put a dual clutch transmission in the auto i would be unironically tempted into getting one

?????

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 11, 2024

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'd only get an auto if I was physically unable to press a clutch or shift a stick. It's not the right car for an auto box, 90% of the fun is derived from smashing gears.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

If I ever see a listing for an auto Miata while browsing, I immediately close the browser window no matter what else the car has going for it. I’ve owned three, NA/NB/NC, and I couldn’t imagine sucking the soul out of one with a slush box.

But then again I am one of those stick shift weirdos in every case possible. If a car is made with a manual, that’s the version I want. I don’t care if modern autos are faster, I just get bored driving them. I even rented a Cayman with the PDK which is a phenomenal transmission, and after 1.5 days I was over the novelty and missing the third pedal.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I test drove an auto nd2 to make sure I fit and stuff before I bought my manual.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Automatics have their place. That place is not in a Miata.

Fish Cake
Jun 13, 2008

woof
Don't let the haters turn you off if you have a reason for getting an automatic Miata you should at least give it a test drive. Shifts aren't particularly fast but the paddles are nice and clicky. I test drove an auto ND2 since I didn't know how to drive stick.

then i bought the manual anyway and taught myself how to drive it and i'm probably still slower than the auto

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

You’ll always be slower than a modern auto but you’ll actually have control of the car.

Test drive one an auto you want but for the love of god buy a manual so the assholes keep making them.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The SkyActiv automatic transmission is pretty good, but it's still an automatic transmission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
(to be clear i own a 2020 nd2 lol. i just think it might be neat to drive an auto ragtop for a weekend!)