Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Has anyone here done the MazdaTribute/FordEscape washer nozzle upgrade? As usual, M.net is useless. Some people say it's a direct swap, others say they shoot over the whole car and need a regulator to tame them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Stock NA/NB nozzles are adjustable. Stick a pin in each hole and you should be able to point them where you want them. If you don't like the streams, you can upgrade fluidic or 'fanning' nozzles from other Ford cars.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Joe Mama posted:

I just did the washer swap a couple weeks ago because the stock ones were hopelessly plugged and/or messed up. The new ones have a perfect fan pattern and hit about 2/3 the way up the windshield on my NB. Cost me $14.

edit: I forgot to mention, it took me 10 minutes to do with a pocket screwdriver to pop the little tabs loose. Be careful taking the hoses off.

Part number? Source?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I did a Google search. But some people were having aiming problems with some part numbers. But never said which ones.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I had weird problem the last little while.

When I pressed the brakes. My parking lights and dash would illuminate. The first time it happened, it only happened for an hour. I thought it was just the maybe the cold snap, or excessive windshield washer use. (long story)

However, it's been happening regularly for a few days now. And while typing this, and Googling some more. I fixed it.

I noticed that when switching my parking lights on, my third brake light would come on. And when pressing the brake, the parking lights/dash would come on.

While Googling my symptoms, I came across this thread:
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=262876

And this post.

quote:

Sounds to me like the P.O. put a single filiment bulb, maybe an 1156 in one of the tail light sockets. That would short the brake lights to the parking lights as you describe.

Cheers...............Todd

Sure enough, one of the 1157 bulbs had one filament touching the other. Making it behave like an 1156. I replaced both. (Because the packages come in pairs) And now everything is fine again.

(basic) Science!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

mobby_6kl posted:

My antenna mast isn't retracting fully, most likely just frozen solid at one of the segments. Is there any way to prevent it from moving besides not using the radio/cd at all? Mainly not to have it stick out when parked on the street.

When mine stopped working, there was a thermo fuse near the motor that broke. We removed that, and it retracted. I couldn't tell you how to find it. An electrical engineer fixed it for me. I keep it unplugged anyways since I use aux.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Shocks are very likely the only things that need changing in your Miata. I would get upgraded bumpstops while your at it as well.

Protip: Springs don't actually wear out.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Thanks for the tip. The springs may not be worn out in the strictest sense, but they're CRAZY WISCONSIN RUSTY. It's good to know that I can fix up the car for $500+beer, though. Thanks for the links.

I think they should be fine. My car is on the original springs from 1997 and has been winter driven since new. About 20% of the spring paint (and 80% of the sway bar paint) is gone. Everything seems to work fine. Fine enough to still be able to drive the snot out of it at AutoX.

Honestly, get some progressive bumpstops from FatCatMotorsports. Rear Miata travel isn't much, and it's easy to contact bumpstops. Putting in softer, progressive ones are a massive improvement over the hard OEM ones. Half the time I hit them I don't even notice. And they're a bit shorter so you hit them even less to begin with!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I'd get something with concave spokes. Easier to toss around and harder to curb since most of the hi performance summer tires we look at have 'rim saver' lips on them. On looks alone, I also like the Advanti.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I just clean a soap dispenser nozzle and pump it in that way.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

leica posted:

You're safer without one on the street honestly. The Miata's windshield frame is perfectly capable of preventing you from being squashed should the .000001% chance of you flipping happens.

While I agree that he doesn't need a bar for the street, this is dead wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGHzyNJ3-kI

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
The minute the weight of the vehicle is on the windshield header, it will fold down. I guarantee it. You can see if in the video as well. I think the dummies back keeps the vehicle from fully flattening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Phone posted:

I'm here to tell the Japanese people about VVT and K swaps. They need to know that this technology exists.

And nah. Some people I've seen aren't 5 feet which is weird.

E: I went to the one in Aichi outside of Nagoya.

Ecotec swaps are also a thing now.

I've driven their prototype car. And it was niiiiiice.