Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I'm looking into getting an NA Miata sometime in the near future, and I've got no idea what the option code for the LSD is, or where to find out. From what I've read you had to have one of the optional packages, either A/B/C, and then add the LSD as an extra option. Is there a code on the car itself that I can check for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

It helps us to know where you are. Packages vary quite a bit country to country.

It also depends on what year range you are looking at. But LSDs older than 94 aren't really LSDs anymore anyway.

I'm up in Canada, and I'll probably be looking at 90-95 at best, its going to depend on price. I don't have too much to spend.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Nah. Ice can be slick enough that it's 0 friction. I've had a wheel spin up that way too. Just pull the handbrake a bit to add friction to the free wheeling tire and your good to go.

wha? coefficient of friction between rubber & ice is ~0.15. It'd need to be zero to have zero friction. Teflon on Teflon is ~0.04. You're not going to have zero friction, it just might not be enough to have the torsen kick in.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Anyone have a miata as their only car? I'd love to get one as my next car within the next few months, but it would be my only vehicle, and I'm just wondering how livable it is day to day. I live in Ontario, so I'll be dealing with a fair bit of snow. I figure I'd definitely find one with a hardtop, and get good snow tires.

Aside from that, what kind of things should I look for when buying a miata? Common problem areas and whatnot? I've read almost the whole faq on miata.net, what else should I know?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

It'll rust. That's about it.

I do just fine 100% stock with snows and a hardtop. If anything I like driving the Miata in the winter more because of how balanced it is.

It has been my only car for 6 years now I think. I end up borrowing another vehicle 1 or 2 times a year for oversized items. I also take my Miata camping and on 4 hour trips.

It works when you're young and a bachelor.

Wonderful. I don't know why, I just never considered it as an only car. I guess this would be the time to get one!

Thanks to all for the responses.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Anyone here survive with only a soft top through the equivalent of a southern Ontario winter? I'm assuming that I'd be cold, and that once the top is up and its cold out just don't touch the top or it'll crack? Hardtops are proving hard to find.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Test drove a miata today - I'm trying to figure out if it has the LSD or not. It was a '97 green, cloth seats, 5 spoke wheels, no power windows, no ac. From what I can tell, this means it was an "M" edition, which would have the LSD. Am I right?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Welp. It's the dark blue/green, and the seller is claiming it has the LSD, seemingly without any other options. Guess the best course of action is probably to get the vin and call mazda customer service.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Welp I'm joining the club. Bought a black '99 with hardtop, tan leather interior, power everything, incredible paint, absolutely pristine condition. I'm incredibly excited. 125,000km, so its probably due for a timing belt in the next 5k or so, but thats doable.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So, my soft top is in relatively good condition, except for one issue - the rear window has separated from the window seal along the top. I've gotten it back in, and with the top down it will stay together, but I'm guessing I need to glue/seal it back in there permanently. What should I use to seal it?

Other than that... wow. Just wow. I love this car. It's pretty funny when the back of a sportbike is in the middle of the windshield, lol.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Nice! That's about the same mileage mine had when I bought it. I did the belt then too.

Do the trans/diff fluids while your at it as well.

Well, I'm going to do a bunch of fluids this weekend - hopefully trans/diff/clutch/brake/oil, anyone have recommendations for trans & diff oil? Was just going to use standard 5 or 10w30 for the oil, and dot 3 for brake and clutch.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Tire wear question - while my tires are garbage (and I doubt they were ever really rotated) they've got pretty severe wear along the inside edge of the rear tires. Looks kinda like this, except the rest of the tread is worn much farther down.

What does this indicate, other than the previous owner really should have rotated their tires? I'm guessing excessive negative camber, I'm just not sure if thats how a miata is supposed to be aligned :v:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Phone posted:

What suspension do you have?

Stock? FM? Ground Control sleeves, etc?

Stock, with ~125000km

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Phone posted:

Replace your shocks with Koni yellows, maybe get new tophats.

Camber in the front: as much as possible (but equal on both sides)
Camber in the rear: .5 offset from the front
Toe in front: 0
Toe in rear: 1/16" in
Caster: 4-5 degrees

The loved Lanny alignment is kinda aggressive, but it doesn't eat tires (-1.2 front, -1.7 rear, toe is zeroed, caster 5 degrees). Just make sure that there is half a degree difference between the rear and front.

Cool, thanks. Will put it on the list of things for next summer. I'm guessing the wear is due to mostly dead shocks? Would there be any way to confirm, other than the tire wear?

Also, the fronts are evenly worn - would it be stupid to rotate the tires, in light of the uneven wear on the back?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Piano posted:

I'd suspect incorrect toe, but it's almost impossible to say over the internet.

There's an old fashioned way to measure toe with lengths of string but it's almost not even worth taking the time, alignments are relatively cheap.

Hmm. Well, at this point I'm probably not going to worry about it until I replace the tires, but thanks!

From everything I've read, koni yellows + GC's seem to be a favorite for a lot of people, but are relatively expensive. I'm looking for a setup that'd be good for autox - would yellows + stock springs --> Upgraded springs when I can afford them be better than FM Vmaxx's?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Phone posted:

Vmaxx is trash

If you're going to be there and are looking to do do any autox in CSP, it's worth trying to set up your own GC package. If you do GC sleeves + Konis and NB tophats, you'll be able to set decent times at autox and not break the bank. There's a lot of poo poo out there.

Basically all I'm looking for is decent times without breaking the bank, so it sounds like GC sleeves + konis are the way to go. Is it an okay idea to get the konis w/ stock springs, and then grab the GC sleeves when I can afford them, or would it be better to wait until I can get it done in one go? I've got an NB, I'm guessing the NB tophats bit is for a conversion from NA?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

NinjaTech posted:

Well I drove 1.5hrs to look at the car and a half mile from his house he called me and said he sold it. Even though he knew I was on the way and driving a good distance. I was pissed to say the least. I then called another guy with a 94 in Beaverton while I was down there. I test drove that car and wasn't too impressed with the 1.8. It handled fine but didn't seem to have much more power than the 1.6. So for now I'm just going to have to test drive more of both.

It sucks, but that's the way it goes. I bought mine out from under someone who was 2 hours into a 4 hour drive to look at it. It was just bad luck for him that I got there first. Just kinda the way it goes when you've got cash in hand.

I learned my lesson after not getting a chance to take a look at two that I'd called about and was just leaving the house for one and was half way to the other when they called and said it was sold.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Love the blue!

Anyone have any experience with replacing the steering wheel? I'm hoping to go with something slightly smaller and somewhat closer towards me - I've got long legs and shortish arms. The goal is really to free up a bit more room to heel toe comfortably. I was thinking about something with a bit of a dish to it, and I'm comfortable deleting the airbag.

I've considered a foamectomy but from what I've heard it doesn't work nearly as well on leather seats, especially old ones where the leather just tends to crack.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

destructo posted:

For reference, the stock steering wheel is either 365 or 360mm, I forget. You'd probably want to find a 330 or 340mm wheel. Plenty of makes, I prefer Nardi. If you don't mind used (which I presume you won't, wheels are expensive), check http://tginferno.blogspot.com/

Nice, I'd never heard of that site. I'll def keep watch on there.

grayham posted:

The wheel is easy to take off. Please just remember to disconnect the battery before you remove the airbag.

Yeah, don't want it going off on me. That wouldn't be fun.

I was thinking about a momo mod 07 wheel - 350 mm Diameter, 70mm dish. The other one that I like is a sparco champion, 330mm Diameter, 66mm dish. They both look almost identical. Does anyone have any experience with the hub adapters? I have no idea how much closer the hub adapter brings the wheel, so I really don't know how much of a dish I should be looking for in a wheel. I think ideally I'd like the wheel to be ~2-3" closer than it is now.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Woohoo CEL came on yesterday. Seems to be running fine, no change in fuel economy, no hesitation, etc. I've noticed a bit of idle drop when pulling up to lights and whatnot, so I'm willing to bet on a P0402 - EGR issues. But, its an excuse to buy a code reader (nowhere will read it for free up in cannuck land). I know what I'm doing this weekend! :D

E: P0402. Shouldn't be hard.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 3, 2011

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Starting to look at winter tires, and had a few questions - mainly, will 14" steelies fit on an NB?

I'm hoping to go with General Altimax Arctic in 185/65-14, as they're pretty cheap, and there really doesn't seem to be much available in the 185/60-14 range. These will be 3.5% too slow in terms of spedo v actual speed, but thats fine. Anyone know if I'll have any clearance issues with the slightly taller tires?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Piano posted:

:love:

Be still my beating heart.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So I did my timing belt/waterpump today, which actually went really well. I also cleaned out the intake manifold, which had a pretty significant buildup of oil/egr stuff I think - is this something to be concerned about? A friend is recommending shorter oil change intervals to prevent buildup in the future, but that doesn't really make sense to me. From my understanding oil gets into the intake from piston ring blow by and through the PCV valve.

Currently I'm doing oil changes every 5,000km's with full synthetic, but I have no idea what the previous owner did and when I changed the oil it was about as black as could be.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Piano posted:

I admire you if you took the intake manifold off on a whim, because those bolts on the bottom are possibly the most pain in the dick thing on the entire car.

Na, I had a P0402 (EGR issues) come up a while ago. I cleared the code and it didn't come back, but it was beautiful out today and I didn't mind fighting with it too much. I followed the guide on miata.net for the top half, and mine was dirtier than his so I decided to take the bottom off as well. It was evil. I think the bottom bolts were more difficult than the whole timing belt procedure. I used the factory service manual for the bottom.

At any rate, it revs smoother and doesn't idle drop at all anymore, so woohoo?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

You guys really get that low MPG? I find I average about 29mpg (8L/100km) or so.

Of course, everyone drives so drat slowly in this town that I only get to play when the idiots in front of me take a corner at more than... 15km/h.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

4k in 5th is ~130km/h, or exactly where I need to be if I don't want to become a rolling roadblock. The engine does sound pretty nice when accelerating around those speeds, I guess that's the sound money makes when burning. I need to take note of the mileage next time I fill up, it's been too much fun driving to care about this so far.

What kind of winter tire size would you guys recommend? I'm probably going to also buy an extra set of steelies or cheapo alloys so it can be any size, with lower price being preferred.

I'm going with 185/65/R14's on 14" steelies, probably general altimax arctics. Never used them before, but heard good things and they're really cheap.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I bought mine with the hardtop, and it seemed that probably 40-50% of the adds I saw included a hardtop. Might be a Canada thing though, and I wasn't buying one without it.

E: I've got minor rust on the trunklid though - on both sides of the miata emblem the paint is starting to bubble, and it seems like a bit of surface rust around the spoiler. I've poked at it and it feels solid on both sides of the emblem, but I'm more worried about what's under the spoiler. How difficult are they to remove & take a look at?

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 24, 2011

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

destructo posted:

The finish panel is plastic, just needs to be sanded down and repainted. I'd just get a new trunklid.

Thats probably the best idea. New trunklid can wait until post-winter though.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Anyone have experience with Sparco Sprint V's? I'm looking at installing the hardtop hard dog bar + harness bar over the winter in my '99, and am trying to figure out what seats to look at. I need probably 2" lower than stock seats to pass the broomstick test, and I'm relatively comfortable making my own mounting brackets, but if there's an easier way I'd love to know. I'll be getting a 6point - I might have a shop do the install for this, but we'll see. Plans for next summer include as many tackdays and autox as I can afford.

Comedy option: ebay brides. Probably fine for autox and trackdays, which is all that's on track for the next few years.

I'm about 6' 155lb.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 29, 2011

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Phone posted:

Being 6' depends on where you are 6': torso or legs? You're going to have some fun trying to get underneath the bar either way. The difference between the Sprint V and the Start 2007 is that the Sprint V has steel bars whereas the Start is fiberglass, it depends on how you think each seat will hold up in a worse case scenario.

Legs, thankfully - 3'6" to the top of my hips. I don't care about keeping sliders, as I'm the only one who drives the car.

I've been reading more about the ebay brides - it seems that there really isn't much difference aside from the fabric they use, and that they hold up in a crash fine. Am I crazy here?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

FatCow posted:

Yes. Safety equipment is not where you want to go e-bay knockoffs. If you intend to use them on track you'll need a back brace as well since they are not FIA approved.

Also look at the Momo Start. That's what I have in my car and it's fairly comfortable and comes close enough to fitting in a Miata.

Alright that's what I figured. Time to find a place around here with Sprint V's, starts, etc in stock...

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

DreamOn13 posted:

I've got them in my car with the hardcore hard top bar in my 94. Driver's is bolted to the floor, passenger is on sliders. There's a good 2" difference in height probably. They're not super comfortable, but they are pretty cheap. I think I got both new for around $550 shipped. Any other questions you have? There's some guy who posted a few pics of his install on cardomain that I found on miata.net that you could look at. Brackets are pretty simple though, and the passenger seat bolts to the stock slider if you drill a couple holes in the bracket.

How tall are you and do you pass the broomstick test? Also I think you can side mount the sprint V now, at least it says so on the sparco website.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So... Sheared off one of the front wheel studs today, stupid loving shop managed to cross-thread one of the nuts and when I went to get it off well.

Anyways, I picked up a new nut & stud, but the nut is different from whats on there currently and the stud looks short. Anyone know what the size is supposed to be for the stud, and honestly, if it will cause any issues if it's different from the other ones? (provided it fits in properly of course) Will I have any issues with one nut being different?

The stud is 1.75" long, and the nut is 12-1.5. Old nut is the short one.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Alright, that's about what I figured. How stupid is it to drive on 3? I don't have a big hammer to pound out the broken one, so I get to go buy one. I assume procedure is just remove wheel, take off caliper, take off rotor, pound out stud, seat stud using washers + lug nut, put rotor/caliper/wheel back on?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Careful. One butter lug might be enough to annoy you with an imbalance on the highway.

Yeah, it's working for now but I'm going to stop by the parts place tomorrow and see if they've got any like the ones I've got.

Also, yay for excuses to buy a nice hammer from crappy tire.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

New toys for the 96 NA, Picked up a M2 single diagonal HDHC roll bar, 1999 NB sport wheels and a short shifter for $410. Craigslist gold?

:argh:

I've been watching craigslist around here like a hawk, nothing like that ever comes up.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Alright so I'm 95% sure it's time for a new battery, as it's getting harder and harder to start in the morning when it's cold out. I've been reading about AGM batteries and whatnot, and outside of not wanting to pay out the nose for one it seems like they're not as good at cold starting. What are my other options, and what should I be concerned about?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

The Third Man posted:

street competitions

Ha

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I feel like that's the reason I don't mind rainy days. I mean I can't put the top down but I spend so much of the drive giggling like a schoolgirl with the back tires spinning that I don't mind having the top up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

That snow is on its way to me isn't it? :q:

Damnit I want some too! :q: