Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Oh man, do I have a bizarre problem. Driving a '90 MX5, it's Right Hand Drive (Australian). While driving the other day, whenever I would turn corners, water would spray (it would make a slight hissing noise) into the passenger side footwell. Coming from under the dash, behind the glove box, bit hard to describe. Near the fan that's under there.

It would do it more if I turned left (tilting the car towards the passenger side). In the engine bay, the A/C pipes lead into the car on the passenger side, so maybe it is one of those. Maybe it's the A/C water drain being broken or something? I honestly don't know. On the saturday (when it started doing it), I turned off my A/C. On my short sunday drive to the shops it still did it a little, and I didn't drive it again till today, when no more water came out. A/C is still off. My wiper reservoir is also empty but I really doubt that it's the cause.

My Girlfriend said the water was cold when it came out. It was mostly clean, the dirt I saw could have just been from the floor mat.

I just now did some googling and found this for a different model Mazda : "water leaking into passenger-side foot well due to deformed rubber seal at bottom of evaporator case"

Could this be it? How hard is it to replace (in terms of finding the seal, access to evaporator case)?

Anyway, I found that helldump thread hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

destructo posted:

You tell me:

Oh man, that looks great. I'm still trying to decide how I should get mine painted. The old paint has to be replaced since it's peeling, and I was thinking of just getting it all black. But some of these two-tone cars look awesome (though I don't have the spoiler or giant fenders to go with it). I also like the Black Cherry Mica colour, so hard to decide :( No real rush, but it'll be in the next 3 or so months.

Are brake scoops on the nose actually useful, when there is no track work involved?

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

IOwnCalculus posted:

When you say peeling paint I assume you have an NA, in which case the correct color is not Black Cherry - it's Merlot:

Yeah, it's an NA. But it's white, I was just going to get it all removed and repainted a different colour. I like Black Cherry more than Merlot. Who says I wanted correct colour? :) (Otherwise, being a '90, I'd only have red, white, blue and silver to choose from.)

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

The airbox/intake is right behind the driver side headlight. Yes it is useful.
I was asking about the small scoops on the nose for cooling the brakes, not the headlight scoop for air intake. Unless you quoted the wrong person?

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

IOwnCalculus posted:

It shouldn't require anything more than a set of ramps, a drain pan, a worklight, the right wrench for the drain plug (17mm?) and the right filter wrench for the oil filter (remember: it's tiny).
Pretty sure it was 19mm. And, you won't need a filter wrench unless the last time it was done, they used hulk strength to tighten it.
edit: or you can't maneuver your arm too easily I suppose.

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 22, 2007

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Yeah, whenever someone complains about how "anemic" or "underpowered" the MX-5 is, they usually haven't gone all the way to 6500+ RPM. It makes its peak torque at 5500 and peak power at 6500 if I recall correctly. I wouldn't say it's a fast car (because that's generally something people ask. "Is it fast? :downs:") but it's not lethargic for sure. And taking it through roundabouts at 70km/h is awesome.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Phone posted:

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/car/673492763.html

Dude, gently caress. I'm selling my hardtop, man.
While hardtops don't even go for that much here, if that car was being sold here for that price (under $9000 AUD), it would be considered a bargain considering the mileage. :smith:

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

joey deere posted:

He wasn't being serious, it's an old catchphrase.
Plus, being the MIATA MEGATHREAD, I think there was another joke in there! :gay:

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Baby Hitler posted:

Not necessarily. If its the A/C only, its the evaporator drain hose, it should be connected to the evap core casing and go out through the firewall nearby. Its likely plugged, broken, or disconnected. Miata heater cores leak coolant, not just water if that is what problem Celot is having.
This is the problem I had with mine last year. The first thing I would check is the drain hose. Mine was clogged with a few leaves or something. I had a friend poke around with a piece of wire and managed hook it all out and never had a problem since.

Also, while it's quite obvious, it should be stated that this car is not suited for Khanacross!

While I've seen many tracks that are simply flat and unsealed, this was a very beaten path and i would have loved SOFT ROAD suspension. Plus, while wearing a helmet, I hit my head on the hardtop on all but the smallest bumps.

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 9, 2008

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Blackdawgg posted:

I got my Miata the other day! It's a 1990 5speed with 174k on the clock. It came with a stack of service documentation including a complete engine rebuild in 2001 for the crankshaft issue. New convertible top with glass window, not a hint of rust and really good paint. There's only a couple minor things, the driver side window has a 1/8" gap between it and the top seal. Also interior lights only work if you jiggle them around. I might have paid a little much for it at $1700. Anyway here are some pics!
I've said this a lot but gently caress your american prices for thinking that under $2k is over paying! :argh:

Anyway have fun with that cup holder, when you discover that actually using it makes it very awkward to shift. Mine is mainly used to hold my USB stick for my music (the connector is wired underneath the center console), receipts and tissues and crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Yep, in fact I just did my electric window switch today when my driver-side window stopped going up (and I only have a car port). I actually just used a nail file and a paper towel. I didn't fully clean it (apparently WD-40 or similar will help but I didn't have any) but I got instant results so it was good for a free fix. Apparently a new switch cost around $80 here.
Here's what mine looked like before cleaning it:

Click here for the full 1306x1611 image.