Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

"Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little."
College Slice
I have a 2001 NB and I installed a BEGi (Bell Engineering) Turbo kit with a T2860RS. That kit took my little C-Stock MX-5 and made it into a little monster.

194WHP
162FT/LBS TQ

Click for BIG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

"Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little."
College Slice

Savington posted:

Keep an eye on your radiator. It's starting to go tan. I recommend either the CSF 1" or the Koyo 37mm radiator.

starting to go tan?

I am getting engine codes for it running a couple degrees under recommended temp. Will it just outright fail one day or will I see symptoms.

EDIT: It's a lot blacker in real life, if that makes any difference.

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

College Slice

meatpimp posted:

Nice! Lose the MAF and get the Hydra standalone computer with MAP sensor... removes a restriction and you'd probably see another 30whp+ with a tune!

I was planning on getting the piggyback that BEGi makes, the Xede, which comes with I think 440# injectors.

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

College Slice

Schwack posted:

They offer like 4 different turbo kits and 2 supercharger kits. I'm leaning much more towards the Bell Engineering kits though, pricier but seem to be much better components.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/turbos/index.php

vvv Oh, didnt know it was for an NC.

Bell kits are beautifully constructed, and they are all genuinely nice people. Corky Bell is an interesting person to talk to, he is a genius in the turbocharger and supercharger field.

For reference I have an S1 with the GT2860RS ("Disco Potato")

192 whp, 166 ft/lbs tq. @ 6-7psi

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

College Slice

Schwack posted:

When Bell's page says BEGi Fuel System, what all does that entail? I cant find dick about it on their page. I'm trying to figure out what I want before I buy a car so I can do it quickly, but I'm a bit torn between the series 3 and series 4 from Bell. It seems like the really big difference is in the tubular exhaust manifold... is that worth $350?

The fuel system I believe is the floating fuel regulator, another fuel pump, and all of the bits and doodads, (that's what it was on my car). Right now I am running the stock ECU, which only complains about my operating temp and A/F ratio once and a while. The XEDE can be bought in a little kit with 550# injectors and all of the clips to install it, once I get that, I will be able to increase boost to around 11psi or so. I've heard that the tubular exhaust is nice, all of the stuff is well constructed.

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

College Slice

Savington posted:

Your "moderate" power goals will do 0-60 in under 5 seconds and produce low 13-second quarter mile passes, and if you want that much power reliably in a 99+ you will probably need to do a bit of motor work. If you can get a ride in someone's turboed Miata, do so; it will give you a much better idea of how much power you actually want. 200whp is enough to hang with STIs.

Turboing a '99 is very possible, and you can still run an MS, but it's a little tougher, since the timing is not as easily adjusted and the compression is higher. You'll have to add a CAS from the NA Miata (easy) and parallel-wire a MS. There are kits available for the '99, and right now, that is probably the easiest way to get it done. BEGi's S2/S3 kit is a solid option for the '99.

Stay away from any NA mods if you intend to turbo the car. The turbo muffles the exhaust, which allows a free-flowing exhaust. Using a turbo exhaust without a turbo will result in a pretty loud car, louder than you'd want to drive every day.

He won't really need to do any motor work until around the 250 whp mark, unless thats what he meant by 260hp.

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

College Slice

Schwack posted:

So for someone looking for around 200ish hp would the Bell S3 kit be a good option? I like the S4 because of the tubular manifold and the remote wastegate, but if its overkill for my goals, why bother?

dude, an s2 would get you that, an s3 is overkill if you are on a budget.

Vitamin J: the tranny and diff will be absolutely fine with those numbers.

Buddha. fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 10, 2007

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

College Slice
EDIT: double post

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

College Slice

Schwack posted:

The S2 kit is only like $60 cheaper than the S3 and I figured the slightly larger turbo from the S3 kit would give me more room to work with should I get a hankering for more power down the road.

the GT2860RS is a great turbo that has a fast spool, so I would suggest that over anything larger if you are looking for 200whp. Just my two cents.

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

College Slice

Savington posted:

The 2860RS is big, and I wouldn't recommend it anyway. I would recommend a 2871, since it will flow harder, like a 3071, but it will still spool nearly as well as the Disco Potato.

small 2554 -> 2560 -> 2860 -> 2860RS -> 2871 -> 3071 -> 3076 big

the kit they build around the 2860RS is awesome, thats all I have to say.

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

College Slice

Savington posted:

stuff

Hey Savington, when you say exhaust, do you mean you bought a muffler, or a full 3" exhaust from the downpipe back? If not, why didn't you just run a little straight pipe?

I have talked to Corky Bell about the clutch issue and he said that unless you have a 220+ whp car, the clutch is not an immediate issue, as long as you don't dump it at stop lights and such.

Does the MSPNP come with injectors or do I need to buy those separately?

The spool on the GT2860RS is pretty fast too, and it makes a great amount of power.

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

College Slice

Savington posted:

It's a 3" stainless steel catback. I am also running a 3" Magnaflow metal-core catalytic converter (goal is to pass the sniffer with the MS in California). The DP is a standard BEGI stainless DP that was bumped from 2.75" to 3".

If Corky says it, it's probably true. I really like to abuse my car, though. My ACT HD/6-puck is rated for a lot more torque than I'm putting out, which means I get to stick it in first gear, give it 5000rpm, and just dump the clutch and watch the revs skyrocket as I slither away from the rural intersection I've just terrorized. :) A stock clutch at 220whp is probably a bit of a pipe dream, but I'd say you could get away with 180, MABYE 190whp if you really babied it. No hard shifts, no long slips, and NO drag racing. Drag racing is what really kills clutches and transmissions.

You'll have to get injectors separately. On MiataTurbo.net, Braineack's FAQ has a full list of every injector that is a direct plug-and-play to our harness, dwell, and impedance settings. I am running 460cc Rx7 injectors that literally dropped right into place of the stockers and work exactly like the stockers did, except they flow an extra 200cc/min of fuel each.

If you think the Disco Potato spools well, you'll be stunned by a GT2554R. 8psi by 3000rpm on a really poorly tuned spark map. A GT2860RS will take you well past 250whp, probably up to 300whp if you really strained the turbo with a little water/meth injection. The point is that while both turbos will get you 220whp, the smaller turbo will always produce a more driveable, fun car. The big turbo will RIP from about 4500rpm to redline, but with the small turbo, the fun starts at about 3k.

Let's see them on the car :neckbeard:

thanks for all the info, I guess the turbo choice really comes down to personal preference. I really wish the Bell XEDE wasn't 1500 dollars even with the injectors, because they provide free support as much as you need. I really wish I was almost done with my car.

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

College Slice

Phone posted:

I swear I'm becoming neurotic with this new Miata and the noises that are coming from it. :smith:

That's unfortunately what comes with owning a roadster like the miata.

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

College Slice

willd58 posted:

Wait what? I love my miata because of the exact opposite, when compared with expensive higher strung cars like my old one where every noise means £1000 bill, the same would cost for a whole new engine in a Miata, and a weird noise normally doesn't meant anything anyway!

I didn't mean it in the reliability sense, it just creaks and makes more noise than other cars, thats what makes it unique.

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

College Slice
I have a front FM sway bar on my 2001 LS which is turbocharged and the steering feels even better than it was before I put on the sway, but I also have SSR rims and after market tires, and tires may play a role in how changes to the suspension feel car by car

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

College Slice
beautifully clean NB you have there Sloth, makes me want to toss my miata around. This is however impossible because I am in Denton, Texas.

Yay flat straight roads :(

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

College Slice
Check if there are any cracks in the coolant hoses near the fittings they attach to. They may have dry rotted or may have torn when they were put back on. Also check if they are pushed on fittings past the edge so that they are properly sealed.

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

College Slice

Phone posted:

You can go the Savington route and get Koni RACE shocks. :madmax:

Not if you'd like to keep the feeling in your cheeks for more than 10 minutes everytime you drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

College Slice

Phone posted:

You're just saying that because you don't want your butt to get hurt. Not to mention that your name is butt terrarium.

I'm going to call you a Butthead when I call you on the phone