Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
I was pleasantly surprised with my Falken Ziex 512s, but 10,000 miles later I think it's time to try something else. . . mostly because of this:

The rears are fine, it's just the two front tires that need to go. Any suggestions for an all-season tire? I'm planning on keeping all-seasons on during the winter (NorCal, so it'd be rain only) then getting the +27 6UL from 949 Racing in January for Spring/Summer with more aggressive tires. The stock wheels have 195/40/14 tires on them now, so that's what I'd be looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
I'm kind of lusting after manual steering too, can I just disable it or am I going to have to go through the hassle of getting a manual rack? The power windows are going next week, so I've got that one covered.
Strangely enough, I also had manual steering on a Civic ('86 carbed hatch) and a 280z ('76).

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
Looks like sound deadener.

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
A couple of things that have come up lately in my 90 NA with 160k+:

1. When dropping in RPM (usually coming to a complete stop) the car stalls on me. I've tried braking in and out or gear with the clutch in and in neutral just coasting to a stop, and the fucker doesn't care. It'll drop down like it normally would, but then it stalls and I look like an idiot. I'm assuming it's the fuel injectors, but I'd love some input.

2. Another thing that happens on occasion is that when I let off the gas, I hear an awesome "pop" come from under the car. My first guess is that one of the u-joints is gone, but as I understand it I'm better off replacing the drive shaft than just the u-joint like I would've done on my Jeep. Is there anything else I should consider before I order one of these?

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
I get the exhaust pop every now and then, and this is nothing like it. It has a sort-of "metallic" sound to it, and I can feel a slight jolt right under me.

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
So do MSMs have any specific issues that I should look for? I would love to be able to build a turbo Miata on my own but I:

1) don't know how
and
2) live in California and want to legally register/drive it

As it stand I'm probably getting an 04 next week, but not if the internet says that I shouldn't.

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
I'm picking up an NB with Tein lowering springs and want to replace the stock wheels with some 15x8 +25 and 205/50/15. Something tells me that I'll have to roll to avoid rubbing, right?

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass

Picked up this 01 about a month ago, came with the Hard Dog bar and Tein coilovers. Once I get the stereo wired up and fix my endlessly spinning shift knob, it'll be perfect.

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
So, new problem. A little while I hit a pretty rough bump and the car died while moving, but I was able to start it back up a couple of seconds after it happened. In an idiot, so I brushed it off. About twenty minutes ago, the same thing happened, but now the battery seems like it's drained when I try to crank it. Should my first step be to get a new battery, or could it be something more annoying like a bad ground somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
I might try the battery first, I'm currently in a Starbucks parking lot wearing a shirt and tie waiting for a jump. :/