Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

I was in LA on business yesterday and was offered keys to a Chevy Cobalt at the Hertz counter. I made a look of displeasure and was instead offered an NC for an additional $10 for the day. It was automatic of course with shift paddles on the wheel. Having driven a couple of terrible manu-matics (Acura TL and Lexus IS250), I wasn't expecting much. But to my surprise my first pull away from Bob Hope Airport lead the engine up to redline (7500rpm I think), in first and it just bounced there. Wow! Turns out that they programmed it to never upshift unless instructed -- excellent. And it automatically down shifted only when the car might stall, or when you punched the throttle in 5th or 6th (I assume this is a safety feature for automatic drivers who would otherwise forget to downshift when trying to power out of a scary situation). It shifted fairly quickly up and down, and in the end was the best automatic car I have ever driven (not saying much, but it was a rental).

The car drove beautifully too -- I had an extra couple of hours after getting done what I was sent there for and I managed to get most of the way down Topanga Canyon road from the 101. Lots of fun 2nd and 3rd gear corners. I didn't make it all the way to the PCH, but I got a good taste for the car and had a nice time driving it.

It should be said that I have never driven an NA or NB, so I can't make any comparisons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

leica posted:

Well if he's looking to get an auotmatic it won't make any difference because the car will never see anywhere near the redline. In other words it will be extremely boring.

Grover, if you want an automatic with decent power, you should probably stay away from Miatas. Hell, I don't know of any roadster that is powerful and fun to drive with an automatic, maybe a BMW M roadster. You can't expect a Miata to have anywhere near the torque of a Camaro. Maybe you should look into a convertible Mustang or something.

I guess you missed my post earlier in this thread about the auto NC I rented -- their user controlled 6 speed slushbox acutally holds gears all the way to the rev limiter. It wasn't as fun as a manual tranny, but it only upshifted when I wanted. It was fast and snappy enough that I found myself constantly shifting for no reason all day long... up up up up down down up down up down down up up down, which was probably hard on the transmission (and all the runs to redline were probably hard on the motor) but whatevs.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Many of those Miatas are awesome save for the terrible roll bars. They do take their Elan fetish to an absurd level.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Savington you don't do PMs so I'm posting this here.

RE: Speed Ventures @ Thunderhill

Just realized that you were there on Saturday. One of my car racing friends just emailed your youtube link that featured you passing his car (green E36 M3).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKa2nPfgWIE

I was there running in the black group in the red 944 Turbo that broke a CV joint in the 3rd session. My car is now at a shop in Sac getting fixed. Likely not going to lap again in that car (it is my commuter) and will stick with racing my 510 for the moment.

If you see either of my cars at a lapping day stop by and say hello.