Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vex
Oct 18, 2002

TurboThather fan club President. LOL DSM

Ize posted:

In case you missed it:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2646177

You're all a bunch of loving faggots.

I love how there's a pack of Miata driving faggots in that thread trying to defend the car. Do you morons not understand the internet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vex
Oct 18, 2002

My NB foamectomy took about an hour and a half, bullshitting with a friend. Zipties instead of the hog rings made putting the cover back on easy.

vex
Oct 18, 2002

Oh, man, get rid of those steelies in a hurry. They weigh something like 18 pounds apiece. Stock wheels ought to be cheap enough and you'll drop five or so pounds per corner.

vex
Oct 18, 2002

Phone posted:

edit- nothing can prepare you for how many times you're going to hydroplane for a split second. Welcome to owning a lightweight car.

I just drove through a Houston monsoon yesterday afternoon on my fresh Azenis 615s. The past four sets of tires I've run have been the 215s, and I'm surprised at the improvements on the new tire. Never once, even hitting unexpected two inch deep puddles at 50mph, did the steering go light. It's going to take a while to get used to it, I was on my old set of Azenis for about 17,000 miles, and the nylon was beginning to show. I get all tense when there's standing water as a result.

vex
Oct 18, 2002

Gear Head posted:

What is AI's opinion on mismatched hardtops? Black top on white car, red on white, etc. And why isn't an OEM making cheap hardtops :mad:

I have a twilight blue mica '99 with a black hardtop and black a-pillars. I'm pretty fond of the two-tone, although the blue is dark enough that a lot of people don't even notice that it's two colors.

edit:

mobn posted:

Is that some sort of fake intake on the headlight cover? It's a shame, 'cuz with just the two-tone that thing'd have been gorgeous. I'm thinking about getting a black hardtop for mine, but I don't think I'd paint the windshield frame.

I'm pretty sure it's functional. They're fairly common.

vex fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 18, 2007

vex
Oct 18, 2002

mobn posted:

I'm glad you prefer a high-power heavy sedan over a lightweight capably-handling roadster. Apples and oranges, eh? Sounds like you had no idea what kind of car you were loving getting into before you actually tried it out. Of course it's not going to go like your Bimmer, but a capable driver in a Miata will embarrass you on the track, and that's what this car is all about.

Hey now that you've told him your Miata is better than what he likes, tell him you're a more dedicated enthusiast for driving a smaller car! He had no idea what kind of car he was getting in to, no way.

vex
Oct 18, 2002

I've always gone through the wheel well.

vex
Oct 18, 2002

Did you run the car out all the way to redline?

vex
Oct 18, 2002

grover posted:

I tromped the gas as hard as it went, trying to gauge the torque curves. Didn't even seem to have the power of my V6 camaro. (0-60 times are comparable between the two on paper, but I was expecting it to be a little peppier.) I don't don't mind using the whole engine, if that's what it takes to get power. It's not enough to break the sale, but I was still a tad disappointed.

Tromping the gas doesn't mean you stayed on throttle all the way to power peak. Being used to something with more torque is probably going to give you the habit of shifting well before 7,000 rpm, as well as being used to low end torque. Test drive it again and make sure you shift just before redline.

vex
Oct 18, 2002

leica posted:

Aftermarket sways just make Miatas understeer. So what it the car has a bit of body roll.

Stiffer sways are just silly solid axle conversion kits, unless you're trying to meet competition rules and can't change other suspension components. Why add sways to reduce the independence of your suspension?

edit: to be clear, stiffening a swaybar reduces traction at that end.

vex
Oct 18, 2002

leica posted:

I know people that remove the rear bar to help the car steer better for autoX. Never had the chance to try it myself though, it could be an interesting experiment.

I put a set of used Racing Beat sways that my buddy had lying around on my '91 just to see how it would feel. He warned me about them, but I had to find out the hard way. I was taking an on ramp at the usual speed I was used to, and almost went off the road because the car was pushing so bad. I took them off the next day.

Removing the bar is done often when the ratio of front to rear springrates gets thrown off by a high rear rate. I need to up my rear springrate another 50lbs before I can play with sway bar removal.

vex
Oct 18, 2002

I believe the weather stripping is adjustable, but I haven't done it myself.

vex
Oct 18, 2002

leica posted:

It doesn't matter if they look new. Miatas are notorious for deteriorating plug wires, and you can't tell by looking at them. If I were you I'd order a set of NGK blues, it's only 35 bucks. It more than likely will solve the problem. If not, at least you have eliminated a possibility and you'll know how old the wires are.

If you can do simple soldering, you can use Corolla coil on plugs and never have to replace another set of plug wires. Even without the (possible) benefits of hotter spark, the COPs will pay for themselves within two or three wire change intervals.

vex
Oct 18, 2002

i hope there are some underneath the car for the madd tyte ufo look

vex
Oct 18, 2002

I've got an OEM hardtop, no headliner, no rear defrost. It takes maybe ten minutes to totally defrost the rear window with the front vents on defrost. The car may be noisy without a headliner, but honestly, it's a cheap, light-ish convertible. If you truly think you need a quiet cockpit there's a sea of Chrysler Sebrings out there for you.

vex
Oct 18, 2002

Clutch hydraulic failure won't leave you stranded, technically. My slave cylinder failed the other evening in rush hour traffic, so I drove the last 15 miles shifting clutchlessly, and idling in 1st towards red lights trying not to stop.

If you stop, you'll need to turn off the car, push the clutch pedal in (for the start lockout), put the car in 1st gear, and start the car with about half throttle. You'll either bog or get wheelspin, but you'll be moving.

This will be the second slave cylinder I've purchased. The last one lasted about twenty thousand miles. They're a pretty common failure on the Miata.

Savington posted:

3. If it is NOT drenched in fluid, your master cylinder is probably the culprit. I don't know exactly where this is on the car, but it doesn't matter because they leak internally so you won't see any fluid seepage. The fluid will just sort of disappear. :ninja:

You don't know where the master cylinder is? The one attached through the firewall to the clutch pedal, right next to the brake master cylinder? :what:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vex
Oct 18, 2002

You probably need new shocks. Go with Konis, if you'd like adjustable shocks, or Bilstein HDs if you don't want to mess with knobs. You could upgrade bushings, too, but that's a serious pain in the rear end, it'll take more than a day to do, and yours are probably at least decent. The shocks ought to take about six hours at a relaxed pace. The improvement will blow your mind. You can shoehorn a timing belt and waterpump change into the budget, as well, and still have cash left over.