Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
On a 94 NA is it possible to find a car equipped with a LSD without having the A package equipment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Is it overly difficult to swap in a LSD to a non-LSD 1.8l Miata? Im looking into buying a 94, but can almost NEVER find one with the options I need. At this point I want to know a) how tough is it to track down an OEM (or better for similar cost) LSD unit and b) how difficult the install is.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Guinness posted:

How are you having such a hard time locating a 94 with an LSD? Every package except the base came with the Torsen.

Anyway, all said and done the parts for a Torsen swap will run almost $1000. If you can't do the labor yourself, except another $500 or so on that.

So as long as the car has power steering and power mirrors it should come with the Torsen?

edit: Does the C package add an incredible amount of weight to the car?

Schwack fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 12, 2007

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Ok quick question:

1995 A Pkg w/ 118k miles
Clean title, hard top and new soft top w/ glass rear window

They're asking $5900, how much should I haggle with the price if at all? I know the hard top adds a significant amount to the car, but just how much.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Help! Ive found a car, but I dont know if I should pull the trigger on it. Its a 96 M edition with 87k on it. Basically its in great condition except for three things:

The backing of the gauge cluster has been replaced and looks tacky as hell. I know this isnt a big problem, but he also replaced the backing on HVAC with this carbon fiber crap and the shift knob as well.
These next two are the real problems though.

Scratched up DS rear bumper.

and the biggie:

A big loving dent from someone dropping a bike on it.

I talked to fellow goon XFDRaven and he thinks a shop would charge about $1000 to fix all this, plus the cost of a new deck lid. I want to call around and get some quotes, but I wont have a phone until later tonight and I figured I would ask all the Miata dudes here.

The guy wants $5800 for it, but I dont think its worth that much with all these issues. What would be a fair price to offer? $5000?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Haha, now how do I tell the seller that? He insists he has a ton of interest at 5800 and will only knock off $100. Guess I'll have to pass on this one.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Thats what I did. Basically told him I wouldnt be able to buy his car at that price, but if he decides to move down in the future he knows where to find me, haha.

How about this one? It seems crazy overpriced, but otherwise in amazing shape.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=232439360

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Oh god damnit. I listed the wrong one.

THIS is the one that seems overpriced. Im calling on the red one tomorrow morning.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=226566530

Also, what does this mean:
Washington Motor Vehicle Dept.
Seattle, WA
Title #0228712105 Title issued or updated
New owner reported
Exempt from odometer reporting
Vehicle color noted as Red

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Guinness posted:

What's so crazy overpriced about it? At least here in Seattle, that's a great deal, assuming it is in great shape and has records.

What if there are no records available and its only in good shape? Im going to go take a look at it tomorrow and want to have something to offer them if its not in the condition it appears to be.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

leica posted:

Yeah, that one is about 1k overpriced for the mileage. I'd go for the red one if I were you.

Was beat to poo poo :(

The search continues.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

No, I'm in Oregon so anything from California means a hellish drive.

I got another response from the seller of the M with the dent and scratched paint. He says hes willing to knock it down to $5300. Im thinking for the dent I could just primer the spot to prevent rust and find a used R pack spoiler to put over the top of it. Anybody think that would work?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

The real question is, will an R pack spoiler cover this:

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

I dunno. It does kind of sound like he went into it expecting it to be something it wasnt. They're small and pretty loving slow in a straight line so dinging the car for that is kind of strange. They definitely arent for everyone though.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

http://www.miata.net/cgi-bin/isc/cl...prevaction=show

Im really eyeing the above miata, but the price seems out of whack for a 96.

I'm pretty sure its a B package, rather than a C because it doesnt have the tan interior. He says the car has a dime sized dent on the hood and two smaller dents on the trunk lid. I really need pictures to find out if they are dents that can be pulled or will require more serious work.

It bluebooks out to $5,000, but with the glass soft top window I suppose something like $5,500-$5,600 is more in order? Any suggestions on what I should offer?

Schwack fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 24, 2007

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Anybody think I'd be totally crazy to pay $6000 for a bone stock, except for a new, glass windowed top, 97 with the popular equipment package and about 90k on it? It LOOKs to be in about perfect condition, but the timing belt hasnt been done and the guy is adamant that since the CA manual says 105k it absolutely doesnt need to be done until then.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

TooLShack posted:

What kit, I see nothing on their site.

They offer like 4 different turbo kits and 2 supercharger kits. I'm leaning much more towards the Bell Engineering kits though, pricier but seem to be much better components.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/turbos/index.php

vvv Oh, didnt know it was for an NC.

Schwack fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 6, 2007

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Break. posted:

Bell kits are beautifully constructed, and they are all genuinely nice people. Corky Bell is an interesting person to talk to, he is a genius in the turbocharger and supercharger field.

For reference I have an S1 with the GT2860RS ("Disco Potato")

192 whp, 166 ft/lbs tq. @ 6-7psi

Wow, I was looking at the S4 because it seemed more in line with my power goals, but jesus. Are you running their Xede piggyback? Is it a pretty good little unit? I really dislike the idea of piggyback ECU's, but Bell endorses it so strongly...

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

When Bell's page says BEGi Fuel System, what all does that entail? I cant find dick about it on their page. I'm trying to figure out what I want before I buy a car so I can do it quickly, but I'm a bit torn between the series 3 and series 4 from Bell. It seems like the really big difference is in the tubular exhaust manifold... is that worth $350?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

So for someone looking for around 200ish hp would the Bell S3 kit be a good option? I like the S4 because of the tubular manifold and the remote wastegate, but if its overkill for my goals, why bother?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Break. posted:

dude, an s2 would get you that, an s3 is overkill if you are on a budget.

Vitamin J: the tranny and diff will be absolutely fine with those numbers.

The S2 kit is only like $60 cheaper than the S3 and I figured the slightly larger turbo from the S3 kit would give me more room to work with should I get a hankering for more power down the road.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Did you end up using the Xede piggyback or some other kind of management? Im afraid of Megasquirt, but I could probably be convinced of its superiority, haha.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

chem42 posted:

oh man a Miata hatch would own.

Seriously, the second one looks lame as hell, but the red one is awesome. If the window opens or something, even better.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

http://medford.craigslist.org/car/473879935.html

I just called about this one, on the hopes it might pan out. It has manual windows/locks, but A/C and power steering. Is it possible this is just equipped with the power steering package and it more than likely does not have a Torsen?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=234194224

Am I right in assuming this is a PEP car? Its the first good lead in a long while, but I dont want to respond to him without being sure its what I want.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Ok help me out here, how much would it realistically cost me to buy a base model car and do the LSD install myself? I've found a fairly nice looking one, but its a base model car. I like not having a ton of power options, but I really want the LSD. Would it be worth it to jump on this one?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Amir posted:

Buy the car you linked to! Do it! It looks really good.

No thanks, its his self described beater and looks the part upon closer examination.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Dealership Sales Guy posted:

Hi Adam,
We still have the Miata and yes we would take 5600 plus tax, license, and other fees putting the off the lot price at 6355.15. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Thanks,
BillJ

I just got this from a dealership selling a 96M with 90,000 on it in very good shape. I was under the impression that unless I registered the car in CA I didnt have to pay their lovely sales tax.

What I'm getting from this email is, "Your offer is lower than we want to take, but since we cant move this car we will take it after trying to con you into a much higher price with a bunch of 'fees'".

Am I right here?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

I just wanna make sure I'm not being a dick here, my email back was basically going to be, "Ill only pay $5600, if you cant do that then I wont be buying from you."

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

There sure is a lot of dick talk in this here Miata thread. Go figure.

Hopefully this works out, Im tired of driving my moms base model 91. Its tough as hell to defog all the windows without AC.

EDIT: Well, this morning a new 97 M came up with under 60k miles, only problem is: it has a luggage rack on the trunk. Is this something I could economically get rid of?

Schwack fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 4, 2007

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Ok, so a 97 M with 57k on it, worth 6400?

It has also had the tbelt done recently.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

For the same price you can buy my Silver 99' .

But that means I probably have to drive some ungodly distance. Plus, I really want an NA.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Blech. They're both awful, in my opinion.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Ok I need help. Would I be less of a man if I bought a purple (95M) miata? The last one I was looking at got sold out from underneath me (again) and this one is in town with only 47k on it.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

leica posted:

95M's are 'Merlot' which is actually a metallic maroon color. Unless someone repainted it, which would be considered blasphemy in the miata world. I would avoid it if it was painted a different color.

Do you have pics of it?

http://eugene.craigslist.org/car/500954257.html

Hehe, I know its Merlot, but I guess I need to see it in person. I think hes asking too much though, how about you?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Ok well I went to see it, and really there are only three problems:

1. Small section of clear peeling inside the gas filler well. Im not sure how to repair this, but its pretty damned small.

2. Clutch squeaks when depressed/let out. Sounds like its coming from the pedal, but I could be wrong.

3. The rear window is fogged. Needs replacement.

4. JUST REMEMBERED. Theres a bit of a whining/groaning from the blower motor when it's turned on.

Would $6000 be a fair offer?

Schwack fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 8, 2007

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

OK, so now where to go for a new zipper piece of the top? I want to get a glass rear window with the tan top and will spend more for better quality. Whats my best bet? (95M)

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

So to go with the NB top I need to replace the whole shebang? How much does that usually cost?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

I was looking at just buying this:
http://store.miataparts.org/robsunclotto.html
along with the harness and switch the total comes to about $800. I figure I could probably do the install myself with some help, unless someone says otherwise.

edit: I guess Im confused, would it make more sense to just buy a whole new NB top from a Mazda dealership?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Any suggestions on where to find a tan, used NB top? I suppose Ill go check some junkyards tomorrow, but I'm not hopeful.

And to answer your question, yes I did buy the 95M and am glad I did, haha. I've already gotten two compliments from strangers on the purple beast in the 5 hours I've owned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Ok, so now that I own a Miata, Im trying to price out how much it will cost me to turbo it.

So far I've got:
- BEGI Series 3 w/ GT2860RS (This is based on a few recommendations from here, but I've heard that the 2560 might be a better option)
- MSPNP from diyautotune.com
- Innovate LC1 WB, I'm kind of on the fence about a A/F gauge though, I suppose it would be nice insurance.

So far Im looking at under $5,000 which is good, but am I missing/forgetting anything essential here? I'm only looking for 180-200hp out of this, so maybe the smaller turbo of the S2 would be a better buy.