Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
I would just like to take this opportunity to say gently caress YOU AND loving DIE to everyone at Robbins tops. If any other piece of equipment was this poorly manufactured, people would be making GBS threads bricks over it. Ive never seen so many holes misplaced (by up to more than 1/4 inch) or such poor initial fitment. It took three god damned people almost an hour just to get the loving thing latched for the first time, even with the latches adjusted all the way out. I hope everyone at Robbins gets AIDs, cancer and maybe kidney stones and dies. gently caress them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Aaaand this is why I am trying to look for good NB tops on the frame already :v:

Has nothing to do with being on the frame. That was easy as hell. The problem came when mounting it back to the car. Half of the holes along the back were just flat out in the wrong spots. gently caress Robbins.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Is there a simple way to remove the dash blank? I cant seem to get the bastard to pop out and I dont want to mess up my dash prying on it too hard. (This is for the defroster switch)

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Sorry about your accident, Im surprised your top went on with seeming ease. I suppose having someone to help would make it easier, haha. That and not doing it when its below freezing and night time.

I used:
http://www.miata.net/faq/miatachanges.html
and
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/5361/

Both are great references when searching for a Miata. Good luck, it only took me 5 months or so to find mine, but its much colder up here.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Guinness posted:

The same thing has happened to me a few times while I was washing my 95M. Two or three times have passerby Miata drivers stopped to compliment me. One time a 2000 in Merlot (the only other year it was offered) stopped and yelled out "Nice car color!", and it turns out before his 2000 he had a 95M as well.

It is a great color on this car. :3:

AHEM, I think you mean Mahogany Mica.

Also, this is driving me nuts because I havent had time to finish this yet, but when I do I stop because I dont want to shred my dash by poking it with screwdrivers. To get the switch blank out (the ones that sit right by the drivers left knee) what the hell do I need to do? Do I need to pull off the bottom plastic below the steering wheel or would two narrow screwdrivers work?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

compton rear end terry posted:

I am looking at a 1996 Miata. They are asking $4650. It has 100,000 miles on it. It looks like it needs a new top. The headlight motor and windshield are broken, and they are willing to replace it. The AIR BAG light is also on, and stays on. How much would it be to fix the air bag? Is this a good deal?

That sounds like a terrible deal. I just bought my 95M with 49k on it for $6400 last month. All it needed was a new top because of a clouded rear window. Honestly, I'd pass on it with all those issues at that price.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Guinness posted:

As much? More like at least. When I was getting top install quotes, the going rate was $500+ just for the labor. If you bought a top through the shop (don't do this) you'd be looking at least $1100 all said and done.

It ran me $950 to buy my own Robbins top and get it installed, and that was on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

Just do it yourself, like a real man. Although, theres a good chance you will feel like less of a man midway through the install. Unless you do the NB top install, which I hear is easier.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Haha, in retrospect I probably would have rather had someone install it. I did the Robbins no-zip glass window top install myself on a literally freezing cold night. It was probably the worst car modification/install I've ever had to do. Part of that was the cold, part of it was doing it myself, and part of it was Robbins workmanship (mostly mispunched holes). In the end though, I got it installed in around 7 hours work and it fits perfectly with no leaks :)

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

I dunno how you guys are barely fitting in. Im 6'3 and fit without ANY modification to the seats at all. Its almost all the way back and slightly tilted. Perfect fit for me. Although, I'll probably have to do a foamectomy if I want to fit in there with a helmet on and the top up.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

MIATA MEGATHREAD: Not For Fat-Asses

But yeah, thats probably a good point. Although, it could just be how some people prefer to sit as well. Im actually a bit confused about how well I fit in mine. I used to drive my moms 91 around and I could BARELY fit in that thing. It was hard to work the steering wheel etc. When I first sat in mine I fit with room to spare. I'm really not sure what they changed from 91 to 95 as far as the seats go, but it worked out great for me.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Slopehead posted:

I must be patient, there will be more. Perhaps JimmyJars will email me back soon.

Exactly this. Don't just jump on the first used car you drive. I did this once with a car and a year down the road I really regretted not looking at more. There are lots of Miatas out there, so wait for the right one within your budget.

Also, if you go a bit older you shouldnt have a hard time finding a decent car within your budget. Alot of the 1.6L NAs seem to be more in line with your price, at least this was the case when I was looking for a Miata two months back.

Also, read the miata.net FAQs and what not. Edmunds is not always a great source of information. This is probably a good page for you: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/5361/

Schwack fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Feb 12, 2008

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Oh good, more weight for the NC :)

I do hope it boosts their sales some and maybe encourages more manufacturers to get in on this segment.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

It sounded like a neat idea, but christ, it seems like with $2k you could do a lot of stuff to a Miata.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

brosef deluxe posted:

I honestly cannot agree with you more. ITRRRRRB's sound awesome but Jimmy's a tool, and his megafanboi "PandaTrueno" (ugh) is even worse. I'd rather ask questions in this Megathread than the whole Miata.net. You either get geezers or ricers, and nobody in between.

Now that I think about it, gently caress model-specific forums in general.

Its a breath of fresh air for me, really. A lot of geezers at least know their poo poo.

The Miata seems to be too 'gay' to attract the kind of bros that MR2OC was infested with. If you want some really stupid loving advice, hop into their RIMZ N TIREZZZZ forum sometime. Sure 17x9's fit, so long as you dont mind rolling your fenders with a baseball bat or just take some big rear end chunks out of your tires until they fit.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

StankCheeze posted:

How much are yellow miatas REALLY worth? There's a 200k yellow automatic with original paint in good condition and a new top near me for 2500 bucks... Worth buying for profit?

Dunno how much profit you'll realistically make on an automatic Miata, regardless of the color. During my hunt, I saw the same ******~~*~*~** RARE AUTOMATIC OPTION **~**~***~***~** Miata's up for 6+ months.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Looks like I might have to do it myself then. It doesn't look too hard, just very time consuming.

Which top did you get?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

A cheap ebay top. I am not expecting it to last more than 2 years, but I needed something cheap after mine got slashed.

Just make sure you do it on a warm day. If it's cold outside it turns into a real bitch of a job, well more of a bitch than it is anyway. The only tough part for me was getting it reattached to the car with the rainrail in place.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Gear Head posted:

I ordered a top from these guys

http://www.convertibletopguys.com/cgi-local/displaycat.cgi?cat=1444

And the shop I'm having it installed at told me they were having a hard time with it and that it's "junk". I hope that's hyperbole.

It seems like if you arent going to spring for a decent aftermarket or NB top, you may as well just do the install yourself.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

From my shopping experience, prices bounce all over. Why dont you just get on craiglist/autotrader and start looking? That will give you a better idea than anything you'll find here.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Phone posted:

But remember, if you ask Miata.Net, if you pay anything over 3k, you paid too much.

I noticed this when I was browsing their pricing forums. They dont seem to live in areas where the demand is high at all. One car I went to look at had 7 people with appointments all in the same day, 3 days after the listing was posted.

ps: I saw you on battle.net.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Im looking to freshen up/improve my 95's suspension a bit here. I was planning on doing a full set of bushings, dampers, springs and maybe replacing the sway-bars. Although I've seen some bad experiences with aftermarket sways. What brands/vendors should I be shopping?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

aksuur posted:

Points I haven't raised:
1) They're trying to sell a foreign car at a domestic dealership.

Just curious, but how is this a bargaining point? This kind of thing happens with trade-ins all the time.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Ok so after poking around for a few days, I came up with what looks to me like a decent suspension overhaul for my 95.

Dampers:
Tokico Illuminas off Ebay
I was originally eyeing the KYB AGX's, but there were too many posts on m.net detailing how quickly the shocks started to give out. That and the Illuminas are hardly more expensive.

Shocks:
FM Springs
I know a lot of people recommend sticking with the stock springs, and I could definitely be convinced to go that way. It just so happened that I read a few posts detailing peoples experiences with these springs and they seemed to be quite happy, and for barely more than $200 it seems like a good idea to go ahead and replace the stockers.

Sways:
FM Swaybars
I figured I should go ahead and replace the stock sways. My understanding is that this should help combat my rear wheel lifting off the ground during hard cornering (a number of people said I looked like a VW at an autocross this last weekend). I like the adjustable FM sways, but if there is a better alternative out there I'm open to suggestion.

I decided to go ahead and replace some of the bushings as well, as that made quite a bit of difference on my MR2. Im thinking the Energy Suspension Base Bushing kit from 949racing.com. I'm kind of on the fence about their differential bushing kit. Somehow it just doesnt seem like it would help that much. Any input?

Thats everything I've come up with so far. Like I said, Im definitely open to change what I've got listed here, but I would like to try and have my decision nailed down by later this week so I can get started ordering this stuff!

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Are you talking about the Tokico HP's, Illuminas or both? I saw a bunch of posts steering everyone far away from the HP's, but the consensus seemed to be OK on the Illuminas.

The Koni Yellows are the only one they make for the Miata, right?

I already have basically all the bushing money allocated in there. I didnt go with the complete kit because the only change is the addition of the diff bushings and the swaybar bushings. They mention that the sway bushings are only for the stock setup so I avoided them.

Would it be worth buying new OEM springs or just sticking with the ones that come off the car? My experience with MR2's was that it was a really bad idea to pair your old, used springs with new shocks.

Schwack fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 1, 2008

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Phone posted:

You can go the Savington route and get Koni RACE shocks. :madmax:

Haha, Im sure they're great but they are probably overkill for someone like me. That and they would basically cost as much as my whole little package I've drawn up here.

Also, does anybody have any comments on the quality of the bushings I mentioned?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

destructo posted:

Do you already have Fatcat Motorsports bumpstops? Those FM springs will drop your car about 1/1.5 inches right? The replacement bumpstops will help you retain your original suspension travel and they're fairly cheap.

edit:
Sweet jesus, someone actually bought the -27et Racer-x and is mounting them on their NA over at clubroadster.net :lol:

D'oh. I completely forgot to mention that I was also planning on ordering a set of the FCM bumpstops and shock mounts.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Ulf posted:

I just bought a new top last week too, the UV at this altitude really eats them up. Now that I've already bought the Robbins canvas top, anyone think it was the wrong choice?

Its a bitch to install, but so far hasnt given me any problems and looks just like stock.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Ulf posted:

That's all right, I enjoy doing anything on my car the first time 'round. And I can recruit the wife to help where needed.

I'm kind of curious how the canvas is going to turn out (with respect to care and cleaning), but it's going to be worth it to be able to drop the top at 32degF without worrying about how many months I just took off its lifetime.

Make sure you do it when its warm and take your time with the rubber window pieces. I spent a long bit lining those up just right and haven't had a hint of a leak, but apparently a lot of people have problems.

You'll also need a pop-rivet gun for the Robbins top and I cant stress enough the need for a warm day. I did it when it was freezing loving cold and I really think things would have gone much more smoothly if I had waited.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

$200 for a shift knob? That takes retarded to a whole new level, jesus.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Coredump posted:

Is it just me or are prices going way up on these cars? All the ones I see are around $5,000 or so with +150,000 miles. Jesus Christ.

Consider the season. It's a bad time to be buying.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Ive got pretty big arms/hands and I can just reach down and under (from the top of the engine) just fine, how tight are you guys torquing these things on, haha.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

mobn posted:

If you can get your hand in there, then it's not as big as you think it is. I can't force my hand through if my life depended upon it. I have to either get my little brother to do it or borrow the magic filter wrench from my buddy's garage.

http://www.softgoldfurs.com/measure_hand.php

Using these measurements my hand is 10' around and 8' long. Pretty big by there charts, but Im curious to see what kind of monstrous sizes you guys are coming up with, haha.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

FluffGrenade posted:

Are the tops easy enough to replace yourself? I can do most mechanical work, but from what I've found online, a lot of people regard top replacement as a huge pain in the rear end.

For reference, I've essentially rebuilt a Honda CB from used parts in the past year.

Also, do you have to remove the soft-top to install a hard-top?

Getting an all new OEM top with the frame attached might make it easier, but my Robbins top was a huge pain in the rear end. Although, if given the chance, I would probably do it again, and do it much faster this time. Basically, if you take your time and have a decently warm work area it shouldnt be too bad. It really helps to have a second pair of hands as well.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

iscariot posted:

take both seats out of the car.

Best advice right here. I wish I had done this, the seats make bolting down the back of the top and INCREDIBLE pain in the rear end. I would also add that you might want to get something to put down on the parcel shelf to catch any nuts/washers that come off the studs while attempting this part. I had 3 go into the trunk, and fishing them out with a magnet at 3am was a real bitch.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

FireTora posted:

Here is two pictures I took of my Miata a few hours ago on what was possibly my last drive in it. :(
Just put it up on craigslist and will see if anyone gives me what I want.

Wanna part out the hard top? :)

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

FEAR THE NUG posted:

Well there goes my hopes... 6'2 205 lbs.. Oh well I'll find something.

Im about an inch taller than you an 30 lbs heavier and I fit just fine in my NA. The only change I would make is to add a steering wheel adjustment, but I manage just fine.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

And that is why I beat the gently caress out of my Miata every time I drive it... I think it likes it best that way.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Vitamin J posted:

There's another way to drive them?

Just tighten them up after putting some locktite on em.

For the non-believers, I'm guessing he's talking about the screws similar to these:
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m131/vitaminjsa/honda/newpads.jpg

Ive never seen those filled... Usually those holes are left blank so that you can thread in a bolt if the rotor is stuck onto the hub.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Can anybody recall off hand what weight fluids to use in a 94M trans/diff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Hypnolobster posted:

Why the gently caress is it impossible to find a decent Miata in Ohio? I haven't found anything around $2500-$2800 at ALL.

While convertible prices get a little lower in the colder seasons, but do the quantities decrease too? Will I ever find a car? :smith:

From my experience, you're probably going to be looking at a pretty rough example for $2500.