Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Your car seems to have some sort of cancerous growth there near the fender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
What would be the most likely cause of a power drop between 2000 and 3000 rpm? I've noticed a few times driving lately that there seems to be a slight dip in power right around there as I accelerate and then it drives as normal. Today there was a serious blip and what could possibly be described at sputtering as I was pulling out of my parking garage and then normal driving after that. 94m manual with 140k miles.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Well I'm not exactly sure what the timing is, it was stock and then I had to take off the Crank Angle Sensor. I tried to put it back exactly in the orientation it was in (i made some marks but they werent as clear as they should have been. The weather was about 50 today.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I need to replace my valve cover gasket for my 94m. Is part number BP05-10-235C what I'm looking for?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Couple weeks ago I started getting white smoke on startup, but otherwise car ran fine, no issues, no overheating. Went on vacation for 2 weeks, came back, car won't start today. It cranks but won't start. Battery seems fine. Head gasket? There weren't any acute issues with it before that would have caused a failure, I had noticed some occasional sputtering in the 2-3k rev range in 1st or 2nd gear.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 27, 2018

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Ok so false alarm, apparently there was something wrong with my Jump this morning, because I tried again and got it to start with a jump after work.

It was, however, still smoking white from the exhaust after startup (running clear after it warmed up). I'll try to check out the CAS wiring, it's possible hot oil was dripping on them (I had to replace the CAS o-ring a while back because it dripped oil).

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Any Miata from before 1994 will have the 1.6.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 11, 2018

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I'm not really in the market, but I'm curious what people's thoughts are on this: https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/mazda-miata-1995-very-special/6619911676.html

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
What's the best NA replacement battery these days?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
What do we think of this?

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/philadelphia-mazda-miata/6883067534.html

I don't really know what the NB market is like now, but generally in the northeast things are more expensive than florida/california miatas and such where they are a dime a dozen with no rust. I'm would probably try to sell the hard top, assuming the soft top is in good condition.

but for real definitely this one right: https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/ctd/d/land-lakes-93-mazda-miata-trade-classic/6886176548.html

Elysium fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 13, 2019

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

GD_American posted:

If you don't buy it, I will.

Lol did you buy it? They just told me it was sold. Guess I should have jumped on it.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
https://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/mount-ephraim-th-anniversary-edition/6896153952.html

I want this so bad. Too bad my budget is... half of that.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Why do so many Miatas for sale have aftermarket steering wheels?

Airbags? Who needs that poo poo? Look this steering wheel has wood on it!

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
What do you guys think I should try to sell my 94m for?

https://imgur.com/a/FovP4OK

I've owned it since 2002 and it has seen better days. I honestly expected to keep it forever, but last year it started smoking a little bit on startup, and now it's a full blown smoke show that doesn't stop when the car warms up. I took it to two different mechanics who either thought they could fix it without opening up the engine or thought (correctly) that they could milk me for some repairs on possibly related stuff that might help, but it's worse than ever now. My research leads me to believe it either needs new valve guides/seals or new piston rings (or both). Having already spent the money on the previous repairs, I just can't justify putting more in to a car worth so little, so I bought a 2000 LS with 57k miles.

Other than rolling around like Cheech and Chong are going to town in the trunk, it actually drove pretty well, and 130k miles isn't too bad for a 94. All of the modifications were done by previous owners (chrome stuff, koni adjustables, headlights, intake, exhaust)

Good stuff:

Fairly recent new Glass window top
Driver's side seat professionally reupholstered in nice leather (pass seat has the standard seam rips)
Relatively recent new timing belt, water pump, radiator, hoses and gaskets, spark plugs, fuel system cleaned out

Bad stuff:

Needs $$$ engine work done
One wheel has permanent brake dust damage
Rust on both rockers
Big rust hole and rust damage to paint on rear panel
Has dents and scrapes on the hood, trunk, and rear quarter panel, all from people bumping into the car while it was stopped at redlights.
Radio does not work. Speakers/head unit possibly still work if hooked up correctly to amp in trunk again.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 22, 2019

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Voltage posted:

Where are you located?

Near Philly

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
As someone who just bought a standard 2000 LS literally days ago for almost that exact price and mileage, I'm going to pretend like I didn't see that link.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So the 2000 NB I just bought has this weird fuse on a small loop on the negative battery terminal, what's that about? It was blown and I pulled it out while I was checking the other fuses to see why the battery and fog lights weren't working. All the other fuses seemed intact so I put them back and the lights and radio magically started working.

In other news, I'm getting a ton of gas smell in the trunk. Hopefully it's nothing more than the filler hose being old or the clamps loose.

In possibly related news, my CEL just went on. I've driven about 300 miles since I picked it up. Hopefully this goes better than my last used car purchase, which required a new head gasket after dying and refusing to start 2 days after I bought it.

Edit: just had the code read. It said fuel filler cap, so the bad hose I guess.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 1, 2019

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Fuel filler hose seemed ok, but I did find some rusty looking corrosion at one end. I cleaned that off as best I could and reseated the hose and the clamps so we’ll see how that goes.

What I did find however, when I took off the carpet and shield to the fuel filler, was a literal rats nest of sound deadening material and a bunch of droppings. I guess that explains the other smell.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
There's an NA in episode 4 of the new netflix show Hyperdrive. The show isn't really worth watching, it's mostly fake hype announcers and teary backstory bullshit rather than actual interesting driving, but spoiler alert the Miata driver can't drift for poo poo and gets destroyed.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
When I picked up my 2000 LS it was a bit low on coolant. I didn't think too much of it, we just topped it off, and I have driven about 2k miles since then. But one day I really noticed it start smelling heavily of coolant and it started to overheat on my drive home from work (I caught it before it was above 3/4 on the gauge). Coolant was unsurprisingly low again, but I hadn't ever noticed any drips or obvious loss. It looked like there was a ton of caked on coolant buildup on the main radiator hose ends and the thermostat housing, so I replaced those and the thermostat while I was at it. While I was running radiator flush/water through the system and cranking up the heater, there was suddenly a ton of water in the driver footwell. So I guess the heater core is hosed? What are the chances just reseating the hose clamps at the heater core fixes it? Meanwhile, I can just bypass the heater entirely by looping the hoses in the engine bay right?

It was mostly coming from the arrow pointed section, but you can also see there is coolant in the blower vent as well.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

DeNofa posted:

Yup! Did this on my NA when I got it. I did some research and ordered DAYCO 87618 from Rockauto, trimmed a bit and it fit fine.

Picked this up from autozone today. Popped off the old ones in 2 minutes and slid it right- oh wait that’s not at all what happened and I still can’t get one of the hose clamps off that barely even twists when I have the levers fully depressed let alone slides off. It’s like the thing is smaller than the godamn hose even fully “loose”

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Clutch went soft to the floor today as I was driving to work, so I guess time to replace the Clutch Slave Cylinder? Should I replace the Master as well? Is it worth it to get the braided clutch line to replace the rubber one while I'm at it?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I somehow managed to strip a front wheel stud. The shop wants $75 to press in a new one. This isn’t too hard right? Take off the brake caliper and rotor (never actually done that before), hammer out old stud, use an open lug and a spacer to compress the new one in?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Well that was maybe the easiest job I’ve ever done. No stuck or hard to reach bolts, no tools I didn’t have, new stud compressed in easily with an open ended lug.

Only thing is my brakes seem a little firmer now? Just want to make sure I didn’t mess something up somehow. I just undid the 2 14mm bolts on the caliper, slid the whole thing off, set it aside making sure it wasn’t hanging or pulling on the cable, then slid it back on and tightened up the bolts.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I was sitting in a line of traffic at a stop light, and a lady in a minivan starts to back up to open a gap for someone to turn into the parking lot. I lay on the horn for a good 5 seconds and she stops. Then, apparently satisfied that the horn was a figment of her imagination, she starts to back up again, and I again slam the horn until she rolls over my hood.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
NB started to overheat on the highway, coolant was boiling in the reservoir. No leaks at all as far as I could tell. After it cooled down, I checked the radiator and it was still full. Was able to drive home with no blips on the temp gauge. Just a bad radiator cap? Note: currently my heater core is bypassed.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Ugh. My NB overheated today on the highway for the second time. After the first time I replaced the radiator cap with the cap from my (dead) NA. Seemed to work fine until I was pretty much on the exact same stretch of highway and gauge started climbing again.

Both times I pulled over with 10s of the gauge climing past halfway, with it quickly climbing towards the right as I stopped. Let engine cool down, reseated radiator cap. Drove home relatively slowly and gauge sat at the normal position the whole time.

Same symptoms both times, coolant starts boiling in the overflow and shooting out the vent tube. Coolant level is not low, radiator is still full. Do not see any leaks anywhere. Does not appear to be any change in color/oil in the coolant. Does not appear to be any air in the system/it was burped.

I ordered a new OEM radiator cap. What are the chances my first cap was bad, and my replacement cap was also just not up to the task? I don't think either were OEM. Don't know how old the caps were, but my NB is 20 years old and my NA 26 years old.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Phone posted:

ambient temp? fans working? undertray in place? last time the radiator was replaced? last time the water pump was replaced?

Temp was about 60, pretty sure the fans work (wouldn't it overheat not driving on the highway if they didn't?). Don't think the radiator or water pump have been replaced, car only has 60k miles.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I saw a Strato Blue NB today. Somehow I had never seen that color in person or even heard of it. Really good looking color.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So about a year ago the engine went out in my 94m. I parked it in my driveway, put a cover on it, and bought an NB, thinking maybe one day I’d put a new engine in it or at least salvage some parts. Well today I took the cover off and uh...

On a related note, the seats cleaned up fairly well. I was thinking about making a chair out of the drivers seat, but I’m curious if it’s worth anything. It’s been reupholstered fully with nice leather up to the headrest speakers (which were functional last time they were actually hooked up years ago).

Elysium fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 9, 2020

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
You can extend the latches by opening then and popping out a tab which exposes a threaded rod.

But the same thing happened to me, new top was hard as gently caress to close for quite a while, needed two people and muscle sometimes.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So my NA with a messed up engine has just been sitting in my driveway for over a year. I pulled the seats and the battery. The interior is getting all moldy under the car cover. I thought maybe one day I'd get a new engine or use more of the parts, but I kind of just want it out of my driveway now.

Does anyone just want to, uh, take it? North of Philly suburbs. Tow it away and you can have it after whatever legal title stuff is necessary (in PA it seems like it needs to be notarized at a minimum, I'm not just gonna sign it).

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
What is the most likely reason my NB doesn't start... but only like 1/10 times. 9 times out of 10 it starts right up. The 10th time it just cranks and doesn't catch. And then you go "oh poo poo am I stuck here" and you crank it again... doesn't catch. Maybe 2 or 3 more times. And then magically it catches and starts. Runs perfect on the drive. Then starts right up 5 minutes later, or the next day, or whatever until one time it doesn't again.

Battery just on the edge of not having enough juice? Starter motor? Fuel injectors?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Um, I don't know?

Here is a video of me starting it just now. Usually it doesn't even crank this long, but I guess it has been starting worse since it wouldn't start at all (until I waited 5 minutes and 5 tries) at the gas station earlier today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUhHzbCtFf8

When it doesn't start it sounds just like it does from 2-3 seconds in the video... except it keeps going and doesn't start.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Phone posted:

Alright so you blow right past turning the car to ON and immediately start hammering on the starter. The positions are OFF-ACC-ON-START on the key.

From the off position, turn the key to On but don’t hit the starter. Retake that video.

Ok, how’s this: https://youtube.com/shorts/8il4p0wZtqk?feature=share

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Had my NB no start again after stopping at a gas station following a 30 minute highway drive. Tried jumping it, no change, battery seems good, just cranks. Stuck there for a while but it eventually started and I drove it straight to the mechanic.

No engine codes and they couldn’t reproduce no start until they let it fully heat up for a while and then got a ~5s crank and start.

They seem to think heat soak is causing the CAS/CPS to malfunction and wanted to replace for $650. I told them I’d think about it and just take it back in the meantime.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 12, 2021

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Finally replaced the heater core in my 2000, which I bypassed over a year ago after it leaked. It was both very easy and very hard at the same time. Everything unscrewed without stripping, the old core popped right out, no impossible bolts to deal with. Still took me 3 hours of wrangling myself under the dashboard, fiddling with the core clamps, and trying to unseat and reseat the clamps for the hoses under the hood.

Heat is now working again, no leaks detected so far.

Hopefully this will solve my intermittent highway overheating issue, now that I have a full coolant loop with the heater core again.

Still an issue are my no-starts after I park and the engine heatsoaks for a bit. Need to buy and replace the cam position sensor and crank position sensor as you guys suggested before. Can someone link me to those parts again?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
gently caress I thought I had my overheating issue on my NB all worked out. It’s been like six months since I installed a new heater core and it has been rock solid ever since. Also previously replaced the thermostat, and radiator cap (twice). But I was about 20 miles into a 22 mile highway drive yesterday and spiked the temp gauge and immediately pulled over, coolant boiling out of the expansion tank. Same symptoms as before. Happened to be 1 mile from a rest stop, so after it cooled down, I went there and got some water to refill the radiator. Drove home slow all back roads, temp never moved past center.

What’s next? Radiator? Water Pump? Head hosed?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Cat Hatter posted:

Whoever it was in this thread that said the NC looks weird because the hood doesn't touch the headlights, I want you to know I hate you because that's now the first thing I notice about the 240z, most Aston Martins, every Corvette without popup headlights, and every other car that does that.

I say that all the time, and I stand by it. In most cars where the hood line doesn’t touch the headlights, those cars have very prominent and unique styled headlights/body lines that justify it, for example, every porsche ever and their headlight humps.

NC miata designer was like “lets draw a fuckin U on the hood lol.”

Elysium fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Um, how the gently caress do I get this hose clamp off?

https://imgur.com/a/ai99Xjf

It only has like a quarter inch of play to make it any looser… which isn’t loose enough to move it. As you can see, I’ve tried cutting the hose, which hasn’t really done anything.