Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Ok so the answer is it apparently takes a combination of somehow bending the metal backwards to get more play, cutting way more of the hose, twisting and pushing and puling a bunch, some (a lot) of swearing, and at least half an hour.

Once I got it off, I could see that the pipe end was caked with solidified/burnt coolant. Could that be part of the reason I overheat spontaneously? Hose not seated correctly letting air in or something? Or is that just a byproduct of the overheating in the first place?

Anyway, THIS is how much space there is supposed to be between those two tabs, so you can squeeze them and loosen the clamp:

https://imgur.com/a/fOq1RTn

Also, thank god I bought actual hose clamp pliers.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Hard to tell what you're talking about, but there being crust buildup in a cooling system that hasn't been opened in a long time is normal

Didn’t take a picture after getting the hose off but the reason the clamp was so goddamn tight was the outlet pipe had like 1/8th inch of dried coolant all around it making the diameter of the hose even bigger.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Ok so new radiator in, new hoses. Took out thermostat, did a boil check. Started to open at around 200, didn't really fully open until boiling. Put thermostat back, new gasket, closed everything up, burped coolant, went for a test drive.

70 degrees ambient. Seemed to run on the hot side of normal, 203-205 driving around. 10 minutes around town, got on the highway, did about 10-15 minutes on the highway, then back. Highway temps stayed around 205. A couple times stopped at a light the temps rose a bit, 210-212. Hit 218 one time. A bit concerning. Quickly went back down to 203 once I started moving. I verified that the fan comes on at 207. Pulled into my garage, idled there for about 5 minutes, temp never wavered from 205.

Not sure what to think. Not sure there's anyway for me to know if it's gonna overheat again until it does.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Looks good.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I removed my rear view mirror. Only need 2 mirrors (Driver's side + 1 other "rear facing" mirror) in my state.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

I just had a (somewhat) hard time starting the NB after driving and parking it at the store while shopping. It always starts after a few revolutions but this time it didn't and I let off the key as my muscle memory is trained to by this point. Waited a few seconds and then kept the key on start longer, and it eventually started, but was a bit rough coming up to idle RPMs. Then idled and ran perfectly fine. The scanner isn't showing anything weird. Has anyone ran into this?

My NB had an issue that after driving it for a while, then parking it for a bit and getting some heatsoak, it wouldn’t start up at all until it had cooled off. Turned out to be a $10 part that just sucks and gets hosed up from heatsoak. Easiest one bolt replacement ever and I’ve never had that problem since.

I think it was this part: https://www.carparts.com/details/Ma...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

MetaJew posted:

I'm 6' tall and get annoyed that my vision is obstructed by the rear view mirror and it's hard to see stop lights without leaning forward.

I removed the rear view mirror in mine. Check your state laws though. Only need a drivers side mirror and a second rear facing mirror (so, passenger side) in my state. Doesn’t help with stop lights, but when the top is down I look over the top instead of under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I read that article and thought “holy poo poo Miatas are 40k now!?”

And then I realized that was in AUD.