Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Binger Banger posted:

I know, I'm just bitter as hell about that. Why would it make any sense for a "touring package" to not have an uprated differential on it? Mazda is loving us again.

The Miata I had was also a touring package. :( Having headrest speakers seems to be a good indicator across the NA range whether it was a package with Torsen or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

TheGoatTrick posted:

The Mazda system works really, really well. So does iDrive.

The interior looks like the new 2.

Yup, the non-touchscreen display out of reach plus iDrive style knob-thingy is The Future. Touchscreens in cars are unsafe.

I'm sure if you really don't want it, Mazda will let you put this awful thing in place of the nav screen just like the 3.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

It looks like there's a little bit more going on mechanically around the screen vs. the 3, and it's slimmer, so maybe it folds down? That'd be nice.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

DrChu posted:

What does a car with no roof need? A big glossy screen that will cause a lot of glare and glossy plastic panels that will heat up to a million degrees in no time.

Look at those headrests and how high up the boot sits. Even with the top down it's going to be a total pain to see behind you unless you're very tall.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Probably going to look at a '97 this weekend. The options on it are weird, though...

The guy selling the car says it has power windows, cruise, no headrest speakers, no power antenna.

Called Mazda with the VIN, they say it has the popular equipment package (which means power steering, power windows, power mirrors, cruise, headrest speakers, rear subframe brace, and Torsen.) Mazda also did say explicitly that it has a Torsen and that's really the thing that I care about.

I don't know how to reconcile the two things before seeing it, but it just seems kind of odd. I know a nearly 20 year old car could have had any number of things happen to it since it was built, though.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The cloth seats look like they don't have any kind of grill perforation for speakers, right? All of them have a zipper up top and they'll either have speakers or they won't inside with no other external change?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

No grill perforation of anything. I don't think there's a zipper on the top of mine but I have a 90. Like the other user said, they're kind of worthless. I only noticed that I had them because I rested my head on the headrest at a red light one day.

I don't care about the headrest speakers in and of themselves, only as an indicator whether the car actually has a Torsen or not.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I owned a '97 about eight years ago and I'm in the market for a Miata again. I think I want to go NB as I'd like to have a 6-speed manual for silly reasons. I also definitely want one with limited slip.

I've never driven an NB, though, and I'm curious how different the VVT motors are from what I had in my NA2. I do really like revs, in general, and if they really rip a little harder up top that'd be reason enough to narrow my search to the VVT years.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

It's a ton of miles, but this thing looks like it would be pretty drat fun.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Really nice but a hair outside of my price range.

There's a bone stock '05 with 75k miles on it for $10k, that's what I'd do if I extend the price a bit.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5458669571.html

5-speed and no ABS though. Hmmmm....

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

TheNothingNew posted:

Seems like this is what special orders are for. Does it harm them in some way to have it as an option for the snowflake crowd?

Unf, though.

It's not the special order itself, it's the building of the system to process said special order and get it where it needs to go.

For something like Porsche they can do paint-to-sample or whatever because their customers are adding an extra 75% to the price of the car in severely overpriced options and they have more profit than they know what to do with.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Speaking of '95's...

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5617906535.html

It's kind of ratty but less ratty than the average NA. Would want to go back to an airbag wheel and clean up some other things, but it's the right color combo and has LSD...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Horn was cut and moved to strange gigantic chrome button on side of steering column, oil leak, ignition switch is dying, needs new top, no spare, weird luggage rack, etc...

All in all nothing that's that hard to resolve, but stuff that will have to be resolved nonetheless...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I left my RAV4 unlocked on accident last night and someone took my cup of Eclipse gum. :argh:

Pretty sure they were looking for a garage door opener, though, which is why I don't leave a garage door opener in my car.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Taurus SHO V6 swap into a Miata has been my dream for a long time.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The SHO v6 actually can be converted to RWD duty via an Aerostar bellhousing. The intake manifold is reversible.

http://www.britishv8.org/Other/NormanRest.htm

My car buddy in high school had a '90 SHO, still one of my favorite engines of all-time.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

2001, 220k, LS, 6spd w/ABS. If the interior isn't totally trashed and it's received timing belt changes & stuff on time $2700 seems like a decent price, right?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Definitely not a DD. Canyons / AutoX / Pinch-hit second-car duty.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

FatCow posted:

Buy this car. ABS on manuals is rare for some reason.

Was too slow. :(

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

2001 LS
6-speed
ABS
Two owner
All records since new
Only issues to tend to are tires and drivers seat.

I think I did good.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Ordered a bunch of stuff to freshen the new addition up - tires, wiper blades, floor mats, stubby antenna, etc. Had a set of DZ102's all around and only the rears need replacing, and they're good enough performers for now. This thing is awesome, the shifter and brakes are perfect and it sounds amazing.

It has an apparently near-unobtanium Nardi teardrop shift knob with 5-speed pattern, but I'd prefer a leather knob and since it's actually a 6-speed I want something with the proper pattern on it just in case someone else has to drive it. It's the perfect shape and weight, but wood just isn't really my thing. Is there a good all-black leather OEM knob to look for that has the correct shift pattern? Or OEM-looking aftermarket?

edit: Nice, picked up a 6-speed leather OEM/Nardi.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 19, 2016

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

mekilljoydammit posted:

Enh; I'm about 95% sure you can make a Duratec bolt into an NA/NB by juggling transmission casings and not having to actually make/buy anything major. I don't need a second project Miata though.

The one I've always wanted to do is the Yamaha SHO V6. With the right Aerostar bellhousing you can bolt a Ranger transmission to it, and the intake is symmetrical so you can flip it so the throttle body points towards the front of the car.

Here's that swap into an MGB:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

My driveway is on an upward incline, and my NB starts super hard & wants to stall if I start it while it's on the driveway. If I roll it backwards so it's more level it fires right up.

Seems like a fuel thing, because I can feather the gas enough to get it going but otherwise it sputters and dies. Fuel tank's mostly full.

Is there a crash shutoff valve in there that might be acting up? Vent blocked?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

That M-edition is a good deal, especially for the Bay Area, if it checks out.

The garage is going to be a bigger problem.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

AF posted:

"Holy gently caress" is right, jesus christ, that could have gone way worse.

How much poo poo do you think that corner worker had to scoop out of his drawers after jumping the fence? Good lord.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I think the goon shop in Sunnyvale does K-series swaps. PR Motorsports in Hayward is a good Mazda/Miata/Rotary shop in the East Bay.

But yeah, don't buy cars that aren't smogged, aren't registered, etc. Sorry. :(

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

There's a fuse called "Room" that maintains power to the ECU when the car is off and it can cause the car to run strangely because it'll constantly be re-learning, and it'll reset any CEL's to boot. I ended up shorting mine replacing my antenna and it did a bunch of weird stuff. Make sure stuff like the dome light works when the car's off.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Does it make any sense to put a VICS manifold on an otherwise stock 2001?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

n8r posted:

I find as cars get older kbb becomes less and less accurate. Additionally for desirable cars like sports cars and pickups it's especially true. The na/nb is a really fun car to drive that is dead reliable. If you can get a 2000 nb in good shape with 100k for 5k that can be a decent price depending on the market.

NA/NB Miatas are only going up from here. Getting one nice & cheap is going to be luck.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The screen is good and the control knob is great.

As-is the Mazda infotainment setup is pretty decent, but they need to get CarPlay and Android Whatever implemented ASAP.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I probably would have built a 2ZZ Spyder instead of getting a Miata if I lived anywhere other than California. They're actually just as expensive as NB Miatas here, though.

Same situation as the NA/NB where they're only getting more expensive as time goes on, except there are fewer of them and they're starting out substantially more expensive.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The best are the super-low-mileage Miata's that have gone up on BaT lately.

23k 1994 - sold for $10k
2k 1991 - sold for $18k
25k 1992 - sold for $6750

NA's have only been going up in value for a while but all of these people are dumb as hell. That 1991 Miata sold for $14k in 1991, or $24k in 2017 dollars. So you bought a cheap, ubiquitous car designed to be driven over everything else, then instead of driving it you stored it for two decades and lost $6k on it (not even considering how much $14k would have netted you today had you just invested it.) Ridiculous.

Meanwhile:

7k 04 MSM - didn't meet reserve at $15k
40k 2003 - didn't meet reserve at $5900

No one likes NB's and I think they're a much better value than NA's. I couldn't touch an NA worth a poo poo here for under $6k, ended up buying an 01 NB LS w/6spd and ABS for $4500

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

Well I made it 12 days before someone doored my brand new nd

What's the best way to fix this?

fender flares :getin:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

My NB's shifting is consistently terrible until it warms up.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Ceramic Metallic is such a great color on the Miata. I want a ceramic RF w/BBS package very badly.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Shai-Hulud posted:

It sucks that the MX-5 is not available in more colors. The only colors you can get is red and "slightly blue. The rest is variations of white, grey and black. Not saying that it doesn't look great in white grey or black but its a fun car, give me some fun colors Mazda!

Agreed. It's the same deal with the GTI - greyscale + red and dark blue. Mazda's still a small company and they've been putting a lot of time into getting the paint colors they have out there right (see version two of Soul Red, Ceramic Metallic and Machine Grey.) The Miata hasn't been offered in that many bright colors but the lines of the ND would be great with a yellow or orange.

Goober Peas posted:

PRHT was just a ballcap

RF is a hair transplant

:laffo:

The RF is gorgeous you philistine.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Machine Grey and Deep Crystal Blue are probably the best dark grey and dark blue out there, too. I just want something highlighter-colored on the MX5.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

If you're not in a smog check state and want to do a wackadoo engine swap I think K-series is the thing to do.

How far can you push a 1.8 VVT motor if you did PnP w/ the VVT controller before you start getting into internals? Any magic combinations of things besides header / exhaust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

oh no :(