Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pimpsolo
Jun 6, 2004

Fuuuuck. Can anyone advise me as to whether I should let my Miata finally hit the hay?

I was in a drive though a few days ago and was really bored. I put the clutch in and kinda moved the car from first to second, to third, to fourth, to fifth, to reverse, and then back to neutral relatively slowly. (Okay, maybe I'm an idiot for that) When I engaged the clutch, the car jerked hard and stalled because it was still in reverse even though the stick was in neutral. I started it back up, and the stick was still movable though the gears, but it was still in reverse. I tried to put it in third, and the shifter just STUCK, it's now impossible to move and still in reverse. I tried the little trick of popping it out of reverse from the reverse light switch, but it was stuck.

I brought it to my mechanic who advised we drop the tranny, take a look in the gear box, and get everything back in place. His price $400.

Normally this would be an easy decision but keep in mind the following:

Every body panel on the car has some body damage, rear quarter panel and back are especially severe. Terrible aftermarket paint job. Rust on the windshield frame. Top has tears and holes all over, rear window zipper disintegrated, thus, the interior has been soaked several times, and is now a little moldy. The leather is torn. Ac broken. Generally seeps oil from anywhere it can. Vaccume leak somewhere, exhaust leaks for sure. Springs and shocks originals, and all shot. The car has become somewhat of a joke, but I love her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X9PQxkUsRw

Is $400 a fair price? The labor seems to be almost exactly the same as just replacing the clutch, if not a little less, so $400 seems really high to me. I have VERY minimal experience actually working on cars but it seems to me that I'm a smart guy who can follow instructions, and that this is my chance to leap into working on my own car. Would I be completely in over my head? I could almost spend an indefinite amount of time fixing it because I've already decided to buy another car.

My options are as follows:
  1. Sell the car to someone who wants to fix it (but what's a good price? the car is rock solid reliable with respect to its drive train, save for this.)
  2. Work on it myself, and keep it for when I whenever I have the urge to drive an awesome beater, but possibly drop the transmission and have no idea WHAT THE gently caress is going on when I open the gearbox, and never be able to put it back togather.
  3. Find a cheaper mechanic who might quote me $200, but get inside and go "Oh well, actually needs a new tranny, and gear box, and clutch, total: $1500." (but it doesn't actually need all that.)
I'm leaning towards option 2, but the downside to that is staggering. This poor car seems to be begging to be taken out of commission.

"Ahghghlhbob just let me DIE!"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pimpsolo fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 18, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpsolo
Jun 6, 2004

duep posted:

Guys, my old car has broken down again and I feel like replacing it with a miata.
Thing is though, the ones I can afford have ~100k-135k on the clock already and are about 15 years old.
Would you still recommend a miata this old or will keeping it on the streets ruin me financially ?
The one I'm currently eyeballing does have new breaks, a new clutch and a new timing belt.
I would be keeping it for another 3-4 years perhaps and drive about 10k a year.

The cars are pretty much tanks. I have enough that I could be buying a really nice Miata right now, but instead am in the market for an early NA with over 100k because honestly, paying the premium for low mileage and perfect condition Miata is not worth it to me. If I wanted a car that I was going to show off, or try to impress people with, I'd be looking for an s2000 or z3 or somthing. With a new cluch, new brakes, and new timing belt, shoot what could go wrong?

Based on the year and mileage you're talking about, I assume your budget is around $3000, more or less. Worst case if the engine siezed or tranny exploded, the shell alone will fetch at least half the value of the car. But I wouldn't expect either of those things to happen, and if they did, replacing a tranny would suck but wouldn't be the most costly thing. I have no fear about buying a car exactly like you're describing, and almost did yesterday. I'm just weighing my options now. My last NA, I dropped the clutch at almost every stop light, taught several people how to drive a stick on it, neglected to change the oil, and ran it with low coolant often for about two years. I pretty much tried to destroy it, and finally the gearbox messed up on it which was really my fault. (You can read about it earlier in this thread) To this day it still runs perfect, and once the new owner fixes the gearbox, I have no doubt the car has tens of thousands of miles left in her (It's at 135k now).