Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
This thread brought to you by Helldump

Post your pics of how you butched up your Miata

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Savington posted:

+1.

Please don't

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Well, about loving time

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

You can alter it with driving style (it's much more rev-happy an engine than you're probably used to), but there's really no getting around the Miata engine's lack of nutsack. You just have to figure whether it's a dealbreaker for you.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

grover posted:

I just can't peg your miata guys. I made a comment a few months ago about miatas being underpowered cars and was jumped on about how wrong I was, how fast they were, etc. Now I'm hearing the exact opposite? LOL!

Please tell me a Miata can at least take a PT Cruiser in a quarter mile though?

Yes. And I'm not knocking the Miata- it's not underpowered, but it's not a fast car. Which is actually kind of its charm- the old "more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" thing.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

An 84 month loan? Holy poo poo, I didn't know they did that now

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

poo poo, why not 360 month loans

Call it the "auto mortgage". You can finally have that Gallardo on your McDonald's salary. Just make sure your kid knows he's responsible for the loan when you die.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Ulf posted:

01+ Miatas don't strictly require it, but they'll run with a more advanced timing if premium is in there.

And if anyone is thinking of picking up anything from Flyin' Miata soon, they are currently having a moving sale, 10-30% off some of their bulkier items: http://www.flyinmiata.com/news/sale.php

I just got their postcard in the mail today :)

Shame my money situation sucks, I would love to pick up a deal on a rollbar

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Others can disagree, but I've always insisted on final, out-the-door prices in car negotiations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Schwack posted:

I just wanna make sure I'm not being a dick here, my email back was basically going to be, "Ill only pay $5600, if you cant do that then I wont be buying from you."

Who cares if they think you're a dick? You're trying to get the best deal, same as they are. As long as you're not a raging prick about it, you're good karma-wise.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I swear my stock CD player needs warming up lately. When I first hop in the car, it skips and has a scratchy background, but after a few minutes of driving it clears up. It's not all that cold here lately in Georgia (40s at night, 60s by day), but I'm starting to wonder. Is this a known problem?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Oh it'll be replaced eventually; I'm just waiting for a decent head unit with a USB input that isn't a DVD player and isn't so big that the installation monkeys at Best Buy will have to cut the wood trim around it

Also money

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

destructo posted:

The Panasonic CQ-TX5500D is the only appropriate response.. for $900 :cry:

That is so old-school lookingly awesome

More realistically, would you guys rather go SD input or USB input? I have a couple of data sticks on my key ring, which makes USB convenient- I don't want to think about loving with SD cards when I'm driving. The storage capacity to price is about the same, isn't it?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

It looks like a Miata raped a Karmann Ghia and had a Downs child

The only acceptable body kit is the giant fender flared one

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I've got the immobilizer blues :smith:

Last time I closed the top, it didn't seal 100 percent and it rained hard. I ended up with water inside, and didn't realize it for several days. So the inside stewed in the sun for all that time; I was able to dry out the carpet but apparently all the water has now hosed up the immobilizer. It takes forever and a dozen tries to get the engine to catch.

I'm assuming just because it's an anti-theft device that it's a dealer-level repair; how much am I looking at for a new one?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Priced the whole thing with parts, labor, and re-programming keys- 325 bucks.

Make sure you secure that top tight, everyone.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

leica posted:

That sucks. You might want to check Miata.net to see if there's a way to just disable it or something, unless you like having it.

I already did, and I found a nifty PDF showing all the pin-outs and voltage readings if you feel like putting a multi-meter on it. But if you remove it, then you have to gently caress around with the PCM and that's waaaaaayyyyy beyond me.

Just buying another and swapping it obviously isn't an option because the keys would still have to be matched to the car, and that's a dealer-only thing. Sucks- I was all willing to work on something on the car (this is the first thing that's gone wrong, apart from me spilling oil on the seat), and it turns out to be out of the range of a shadetree mechanic.

It seems to only act up in damp weather, so maybe if we get a decent dry spell here the problem will go away.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

What's the best deal anyone's found on a windshield for an NB?

Mine is reaching the point of being unsafe. Well, hell, so are the tires, gently caress the shops around here for not stocking poo poo in 205/40/16

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Savington posted:

Why are you running shorter than stock diameter?

:doh:

I meant 205/45/16

I was asking them for that size, I swear

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

the rear corners on the NB are my least favorite part of the car but I'd take them any day over that monstrosity

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

quick opinions- anyone ever try the Yokohama Parada tires? Or the BF Goodrich kdw?

what'd you think?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Just got new shoes for my baby- goddamn Tire Rack is awesome. I couldn't find jack poo poo around here in 205/45/16, but I ordered a set of Yokohamas yesterday morning and they got here this afternoon. Can't wait to get them on tomorrow and get rid of that embarrassing loving donut.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Hog Obituary posted:

Doesn't credit card via PayPal give you a reasonable amount of protection? (I've never actually tried to dispute anything with PayPal, but they sure try to make it seem safe)

Paying by credit card, period, gives you the most consumer protections. No one should ever use Paypal for anything other than small, convenient purchases.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Hog Obituary posted:

So are you saying credit card via paypal is good or bad?

If you can, pay directly by credit card. I'm not sure whether using it through Paypal sacrifices any of your protections or not.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

These loving Yokohama Paradas are riding me around on Cloud 9. The last four months I've rolled around on flat-spotted tires (some old rear end in a top hat in an Infiniti pulled out in front of me and I had to stand on the brakes) and these babies are 100x better than the rocks they replaced.

Also it was my first introduction to the awesomeness that is Tire Rack

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

To be fair, the first two images in the thread are:

Also if you can't take the OMG GAY CAR stigma then, regardless of any basis in reality, you're not going to be able to handle having a Miata. I just think it's faaaaabulous.

I never should have taken those off, I can't find them anymore

Also I went three months without anyone commenting until one day at a stoplight on base a 1st Lieutenant told me it was a cool car and started flirting with me

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'm fighting a timing belt change on a PT Cruiser right now, and it's getting me depressed thinking about the inevitability of the Miata's needing one. It's getting past 60k now.

I know that's just the recommended interval, but how long generally have people ran the belts before they go? And more important- how much of a pain in the rear end is changing it?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

OK, I'm a bad maintenance guy, but I finally thought to blow out/change my air filter. I open the box, get it off, and pull the filter. The entire bottom of the box is filled with little green pellets. It looks exactly like D-Con.

Is the previous owner loving nuts or is there some logic behind this?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Lyesh posted:

Maybe the dude was having problems with mice.

but in the airbox?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Baby Hitler posted:

I had a 9lb flywheel in my GTX (same 1.6) and it made it noticeably better overall. 7 Pounds is getting pretty low, that might cause some issues with idle-up responsiveness if you do lots of a/c and power steering work at idle.

What's the stock weight?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Suniikaa posted:

I've always been told to never use Teflon near any hydraulic systems.

Correct.

http://www.system-safety.com/articles/Teflon%20Tape%20Slo.pps

It's a firing offense at our plant if they catch you using it on any pneumatic or hydraulic systems.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

revmoo posted:

Drivers side floormats are wet on our NB, doesn't seem to be coolant. Any idea where the leak could be?

Roof leak?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Piano posted:

sorry if repost.

hahaha either that was one hell of a conversion, or somebody is in for a surprise

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

FatCow posted:

What's all of this about VVT?

Now to decide how much more I want to spend.

lol my wife seriously just asked "how does the engine run when it's all rusty like that"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Piano posted:

Random ebay find: custom sunroof'ed hardtop

Waffleimages down, sorry if pic dies.

Looks pretty classy.

Some people are immune to irony

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

My soft-top is developing holes (not bad for 10 years of not having a garage), and I'm thinking of just going hard-top.

If I did want OEM, just go through Mazda or is there a better option?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Blaise posted:

I thought glass was a pain bc its not compatible with most roll bars?

Hmmm... poo poo. Guess I need to pick, buy and install a rollbar before I get a new top?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I hate to say it, but every time home improvement money takes on Miata money, the Miata loses :(

That said, is there a cheaper way to buy a remote fob for a 2001 than going to the dealer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

VIS hardtops- cheap junk?

(699 buy it now on Ebay)