Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
This is my lovely Evo orange Miata, my "first" car (I've driven around the family car, but I pay for this one). I got it about 2 months ago and I can say that I love it dearly. Since I'm young, I always lust after big power cars, but insurance was way too loving expensive for the Camaros and TAs I wanted. Anyways, Completely stock for now, but I plan on getting some 15x8 Nickel 6ULs and lowering it a bit, turbocharging comes much later(= girlfriend = broke all the time(also, not gay). This is the car that's supposed to get me to work on my own cars.

I want to paint the insides of the headlights dark gray, but I'm not sure if it'll look good, any photoshop wizards wanna help me out?

The dealer I bought it from drilled the drat plate holes into the bumper when I went to pick it up. Front plate is required in VA, but it looks so much better without it.

A little friendly jibbing. I like the s2k well enough, but it's in a different class from the miata.

Lastly, a shot of the color. It really is brilliant in the right light, unfortunately that light doesn't come around as often as I'd like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
HAHAHAHA. Just caught this little tidbit in GBS thread where girl thinks boyfriend is gay.

"-He spends a lot of money and time on two cars, neither of which are really nice. One is a Honda Del Sol and the other is a Miata. Mark says this is self-explanatory and that they are both chick cars (funny because I drive a toyota truck) and only a gay dude would drive them. Chris says he "races" them but the only racing I ever see is him putting on a helmet and some blue tape for a number and driving around this stupid parking lot every month or so with a bunch of dudes. I don't think it's racing."

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
Does anyone have any info on Turboing the 99-00 Miatas? I see all this info on NA models but a lot pertains to upgrading the stuff to a later year Miata or using MSPNP which cant be used on NB models (AFAIK). Is it a better idea just to jump right in with the Bell S3 kit or should I do a couple other things first?

I was thinking of going with a new exhaust soon (for xmas) but I'm not really sure if I should get one until I get started on turbocharging. I've heard good things about Enthuzacar exhaust and the ANSA duals look sweet, but would it end up becoming a restriction? Down- and Mid-pipe should be 2.5-2.75" right?

This is all for moderate power maybe 240-260hp.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
God, I didn't realize how fast that'd be. I guess I'm just thinking of Fbodys and such with 300+hp stock.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004

destructo posted:

WHY HASN'T EMILIO BUILT THIS YET :argh:

edit: Hmm, looks like we have a chopped MR2 top here

I like to use the trunk and be able to access my battery. That does look awesome though.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
I'm probably going to get some +36 15x8 6ULs soon, but I have no tires to put on the hot little things. I've heard 225/45/15 Hankook RS2s are the best for street, which is where I spend all my time. The only problem is that I can't find them anywhere. Any alternate suggestions for tires/sizes?

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
I'm thinking about getting the Tein basic setup from 949racing for my '00 miata. It'll be my first mod to my miata. Anything else I need to order to make it all work? Any reason to upgrade to the SS or Flex system? The descriptions on 949racing almost say the exact same thing except with different names.

edit: To be honest I really just want to lower it a bit and replace the(most likely dead) stock shocks, and figure coilovers would provide a good starting point/"future-proofing."

AkrisD fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 15, 2008

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
The OEM NB windblocker is not really that effective. It's just not tall enough to interrupt the flow of air. I guess it might change a slight amount at highway speeds but it's hardly noticeable to me.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004

2D posted:

Hay buddies! Can I play in this thread? I just bought my 2003 Special Edition!

It's my second car, but my main commuter. My Audi A4 Quattro is daily driven by my wife.

Here's a pic!

It's an 03 special edition with 26k miles. Everything is bone stock. I was thinking of a fashion rollbar, and at some point soon I'm going to shove my empeg player in there.

yay.

Please don't get a style bar, they're nicknamed mousetraps for a reason. Otherwise great looking car, very shiny. Even though my miata is orange it's continuously covered in a thick layer of yellow pollen dust. I just washed it today and mere minutes after I finished it was completely disgusting again.

AkrisD fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 10, 2008

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004

Phone posted:

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/car/673492763.html

Dude, gently caress. I'm selling my hardtop, man.

Haha. Just because it's a 4 grand option when you bought the car doesn't mean it's worth that used buddy.

On another note, does anyone have soundclips of the Corksport NB dual exhaust? I've looked everywhere for it and it seems like no one has one. I know I shouldn't modify my exhaust at all if I'm going to go turbo, but I'm not going to for a while now and the corksport looks great. I'm just sick of sounding like a sewing machine when I start the car.

AkrisD fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 10, 2008

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
I'm also thinking about getting new shocks/springs for my NB since the ride seems a little harsh nowadays. I was thinking of going with the FM Stage I kit and upgrading to ground controls along with it so I can lower my car nicely. It's gonna be for pretty much street use and I'm young so I don't mind it being harsh. Any advice?

I also need brakes so I'm going with the Hawk HPS, any troubles with these before I pull the trigger?

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004

Mo Hawk posted:

Here tops go for about €300, how come y'all pay so much for them?

I think it's Spec miata that keeps the prices kind of high, but don't quote me on that. You can find them for cheaper, but the cheapest, decent condition(All parts and passable paint, no cracks) hardtop I've seen was still $700 (This is in my area, others it could be cheaper).

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004

BusinessWallet posted:

I've been paying 279 dollars roughly a month for the car loan, and like 150 dollars a month for car insurance so having my car look raggedy like that is really kind of depressing. I mean having a fender painted it won't really match so well right? Just like all of this stuff is kind of annoying and I wish cars weren't so goddamn expensive to fix :( I'm thinking about getting an older MR2 Turbo but I feel like it would fall apart more than this car is.

Just do a little at a time man, if you like the car it wont be so bad. Plus, an MR2 Turbo could easily turn into a bigger maintenance nightmare and I would imagine an insurance hike too.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
What's a good replacement headlight bulb for my 2000? I don't know what ones are in there now, but they're absolutely terrible at night or in the rain. One of them just burnt out so I'm gonna need them fairly soon. I've tried to find stuff on M.net but they just keep talking about Sylvania SilverStars and how they go out every 10 minutes or have lasted since the day the light bulb was invented.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004

BusinessWallet posted:

My 99 has been running really rough lately, so I opened up the throttle and swabbed my finger in there and it came out black. There was an unsettling amount of gunk on my finger and that was just from the other side of the valve, I don't even want to know what's inside the manifold

Is this something that I could do easily on my own? I really don't want to take the manifold apart completely if I don't want to, I'm a bit of a novice. How easy is it to clean, and if it sucks what do mechanics usually charge to do it?

Just Do it yourself. I did it the other day on my '00 and it was a piece of cake. If you can turn a wrench and a wipe with a rag you can do it. You'll be amazed the amount of crap that you'll find in there too. Seriously, I can't express how drat easy this is. It takes about an hour max and most of that is remembering where the parts go, 10 minutes to put back together. Be careful when taking the top of the manifold off I bent the poo poo out of the metal gasket and had to buy a new one.

GoblinBomb posted:

You could try spraying some SeaFoam Deep Creep all up in there and letting it sit for a while.

There are some pretty tiny holes that you can't really get to without using a q-tip or something. Plus, I wouldn't want any more of that crap in my engine than I needed. There was a thick layer of crud in mine.

AkrisD fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 20, 2009

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
What size is the little twisty bolt thing that holds the jack down in the trunk? Mine got all bent up after following stupid M.net advice when changing my brakes.

edit: forgot, it's a 2000.

AkrisD fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 25, 2009

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004

FireTora posted:

Just take the whole bolt out and go to OSH. They have a nice selection of metric hardware and they have a couple plates you can check thread sizes in, once you know the thread size you can just find whatever is the most similar on the wall.

I end up going there almost every time I'm doing major work on my car due to old rusty bolts, like those exhaust studs that sheared off the cat when I was replacing that...

I would do that, but I threw it out with all the rest of the broken/used crap when I finished my brakes.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
This site has a ton of info on the differences and options packages between different years: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/5361/

That does look like an LS model. Reading that site, the 6-speed was an option just like an Automatic. The only way to guarantee a 6-speed without driving it is to look for the Special Editions each year offered.

Also, Mazda's options database only goes back like 6 years I think, so there's a very real chance that's all the info the rep could provide.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Is the 1.8l in my 1995(it might actually be a 1996, if the owners manual is right) interference or non? The application data at work(autoZone) says it is interference, I'm wondering if I should keep putting off the timing belt swap(bought the car at 102k, was thinking of doing the belt and other service just to get it out of the way), or if there's a better way to check the belt than taking off the valve cover and poking it with a stick.

I believe ALL miatas are non-interference. They had the same engine in them from 89-93 and 94-05 with just a few modifications right?

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004

DrSilverworm posted:

Just got my dream car.

Copper Red Mica 2009 Grand Touring MX-5 PRHT with Premium Package, chrome gas cap, and splash guards with an automatic transmission. Yes, I said automatic, and I love it.

The car has paddle shifters which are a ton of fun on the roads surrounding Athens, Ohio, but it's nice being able to switch back to automatic when I'm smoking/eating/trying to merge/figuring out directions/taking a call at the same time

I found that the paddle shifters in my girlfriend's miata to be a pain in the rear end and kind of unintuitive. Yes they're paddles, but only to upshift. Downshifting you have to thumb that button and I always get it wrong. I wish they would just have Left Paddle to go down a gear and Right Paddle to go up. I thought that's how it is in most sports cars with flappy paddles.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004

RubySprinkles posted:

Okay guys, I need a little help - my antifreeze in my '94 is, for lack of a better term, disappearing. A few weeks ago, I was driving home from work and noticed that the engine temperature gauge was all the way over on the hot side. Usually, the gauge is below the thermometer icon. I don't seem to have a leak - there's no coolant puddled under the car. There's no water in the oil. (I don't remember what that was supposed to signify, but I was told to check.) When we added coolant today, it was a murky, light-brown color, not the usual antifreeze green. Could that just be rust that's discoloring it, or does it denote a specific problem?

We tried to get the radiator flushed today, but the mechanic said there was oil in it and he wouldn't do it - we're not sure if there's oil in it or not. We would do it ourselves, but due to apartment-dwelling, it's not possible...

Blown headgasket? Check for coolant in your oil.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
Should I just grab a radiator and a timing belt kit off eBay or is there somewhere better to get them from? It's for my 2000 miata.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004

mobn posted:

It's time to put new rear pads and rotors on my 94. I have the service manual, and brakes just aren't that hard, so I'm doing it myself. What's the cheapest place to buy these parts?

I went to NAPA for the rotors and got some Hawk HPS(?) pads from Goodwin Racing. All in all, cost was about 150 bucks (for all 4) including brake fluid. Unfortunately, it took me for loving ever to get the rotors off the hubs because they were rusted on.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
There are 2 or 3 types of people I've seen in my city who drive Miatas

1. Middle-Age Ladies
2. Really Old men with grey hair and beards
3. Teenage Girls

Sometimes I might see a dude about my age driving one, but they're never that enthusiastic. The grey-hairs will most definitely wave, the ladies might, but the teenage girls will never.

edit: Yes, people asked my girlfriend if I finally came out. Also, they're the automotive equivalent of a Camry driver :iiaca:

AkrisD fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 8, 2009

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004

Savington posted:

Not if you have valve shims that are out of spec. I need to do the ones on my '99 head - they make quite a racket when they warm up.

Me too, my engine sounds like a diesel after warming up. It doesn't help there's probably a heat shield or two that's rattling around too.
My car is so awesome that some idiot thought I was turbo when I started it up because of the very slight squeak (I guess they thought it was a BOV of some sort?) coming from one of the belts or pulleys.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
Any advice on getting a steering wheel recovered? The top left quarter of my steering wheel is very worse for wear and starting to crumble a little. Would it just be easier/cheaper to buy a used or new wheel?

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
Put my new Hankook RS2s on today and holy poo poo it feels soooo much better than my old lovely tires.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004

crutt posted:

So what suspension setup is the "go to" lately? I'm interested in something for mostly street, better handling and a bit lower as the car sits too high as it is. Also-does anyone know a good place to source OEM wheels? I'm running on 3 oem wheels and a lovely aftermarket one. I don't think I'm ready to buy a full new set of wheels yet. Oh this is all for a fantastically orange (ugh) 2000

edit: Suspension maybe around $800 at the most

gently caress you buddy, Evo Orange is a drat fine color. drat fine...

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
God, it's been over a year since I got to drive my little NB. I love it so much, it's so raw and responsive. I knew there was a reason I don't like driving newer cars. They make me feel all claustrophobic and like I can't see anything, even my wife's NC gives me that. So good to be home for a bit to drive the ol' gal.

Anyways, I noticed rust bubbling up under the paint on top of the driver's side rear arch. Just a small spot, 'bout the size of quarter, but it's worrying since I wont be able to take care of it for at least another 6 months. Do you think it'll be alright for now or is this probably a 'sooner than later' issue?

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004

blugu64 posted:

Those of you with hardtops, how did you find/get them? Craigslist has had 2 in the past month, and neither one was the right color. Don't think any miss matched color would go well with a black car sadly.

Craigslist in my area has had a bunch, ranging from $650(turned out to be stolen and guy was caught by the cops) to a retarded $1500. Most around $900. I've got an Evo-Orange Miata that will never be color-matched, so I've just decided that I'll just get one of any color and pony up the 300 bones to get it right eventually. Just keep plugging along on craigslist, I've had good luck with SearchTempest and a 500 mile range.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
I cannot for the goddamn life of me get my clutch to bleed. I've tried every loving trick suggested on m.net besides a mighty vac. It will not flow! The stupid slave cylinder gave up on me when I went to get tubing to do a clutch bleed because I suspected the slave cylinder was going. Towed it back to my apartment, swapped it out with a new one and now I'm loving stuck. I have spent hours on this garbage. It's ending up like my nine-hour brake job I did when I first got the car except now I have a job that expects me to be there and no other transportation.

Any help please? From what I have read it should go:
Step 1 - remove cap from master cylinder
Step 2 - Press and hold clutch (or pump I don't know neither works)
Step 3 - undo bleeder valve, redo bleeder valve
Step 4 - Let go of clutch.
Repeat until clean fluid comes out. Topping off the master cylinder as needed.

I've gotten dirty fluid to travel maybe an inch or two out the hose and then some air, then nothing. Fluid doesn't move farther than that. Then once I let go the fluid all drains back. Master cylinder is full and remains full. No leaks I can see. Clutch pedal remains pressure less. What the hell is wrong with me if this should be so simple?

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004

Blaise posted:

No chance you have a blown master cylinder? If you had a bad master, it won't flow fluid...

I definitely had a bad slave. There was fluid gushing all out the boot when I went to check it. How would you diagnose a bad mc? I looked underneath my dash and didn't notice any drips or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
Anybody have a good link to top install instruction for the NB? I've heard it was way easier to just remove the frame so I think I'll go that way. Any other hints and tips?